• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#FE | Genei Ibunroku #FE Import OT: Fire Emblem’s spinoff Performa ft. SMT48

Shun

The OP has been updated with 5 of us who have finished the game already, we should be getting more as more users finish.

We will probably have around 12-15 impressions total? Maybe more?

Anyway since I'm Asian, I like karaoke so here are the lyrics to the songs on the Fortissimo Edition CD if anyone wants them.

I added furigana, just like if it were karaoke, so I mean if you need it just get a kana chart and learn some words if you don't know how to read it.

I might do the rest of the songs when the actual OST releases. I'll probably do character and image song write ups later. Maybe practice some english and translate the lyrics to english, but I don't know how to really do that to match with the music.

Anyways here, this is the kind of lyrics that are in the songs and this is what Treehouse gets to localize.

The image dimensions are big and if you want the actual text or document let me know.

8O4Shbt.jpg
K2R474j.jpg

wUn7g01.jpg
9oJqxRG.jpg

hpt6pzy.jpg

StayDead

I've finally started playing this today. I'm only up to where Tiki explains the unity system but I'm loving it so far.

The characters, the music and the setting (and especially the battle system) are all hitting the right vibe for me so far.

expel

Still working on chapter 3, slow progress overall cus i've been playing this n ffxiv raid at the same time. So question, do each member has to participate in the battle for them to get exp points n weapon exp points? (Too lazy to switch in members in battle for that cus switching got that annoying cutscenes thats not skippable makes the battle longer)

kiryogi

Banned
Still working on chapter 3, slow progress overall cus i've been playing this n ffxiv raid at the same time. So question, do each member has to participate in the battle for them to get exp points n weapon exp points? (Too lazy to switch in members in battle for that cus switching got that annoying cutscenes thats not skippable makes the battle longer)
Yes they do, and they have to hit something. This is later made easier when members gain skills to earn XP when in the sub cast

ranmafan

The Cipher stuff about the #FE set is starting to leak a little now.
I love Toi8's art.

Oh I definitely have to get these now too.

Back to the game, Im finally getting started with Chapter 5 tonight. Spent the last few days catching up on all the side stories and request missions. Ended up taking my time and enjoying the combat in it. And I love seeing all the music videos in the game after you complete many of those side stories. Some real good songs there. Still having a blast with the game.

Quocia

Neo Member
Hello !
Would anyone need a DLC code for Atlus costumes (for the japanese version) ?
Vanethyr kindly gave one to me, but I didn't know I would get any code with my game.

ranmafan

Yes! I am so excited now. Just found out I got a ticket to the Premium Live concert! Cant wait to go in May. Should be fun!

Almost done with the game. Hopefully can post my impressions later tonight or tomorrow. Still loving every bit!

Shun

on mobile but
New interview regard music production, avex, and OST.

Ōkami;192018380 said:
Is that how it works?

Yes it is. karaoke and all the things you can do while singing... (*´﹃`*)
I would love for the english version of that lyrics , and man as much i love other tracks like Dream Catcher , Reincarnation IS the song of the game for me.
Simply great , specially the part not included in the opening / "concert" cutscene of the track. I was blown the first time i hear the full version.

Actually I'm not even going to bother trying to make lyrics in English not just because I I don't speak it well enough but realized how different the stressing was in versions for Kingdom Hearts was when reading the lyrics for the songs. Even though they used the same instrumental behind the song. Like the way Miyu Irino sings Under the Sea in that game was different from how it was in the English track for Final Mix.

When they do this game in English it might end up being similar situation, the gist of the song is there but the way it is performed and delivered might be different due to different stressing and words for each verse. Different song titles as well. If they do the songs like that then there shouldn't be any issue.

StayDead

The Cipher stuff about the #FE set is starting to leak a little now.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59735

o2MQDFE.jpg

I love Toi8's art.

Oh man, I've got both Cipher boxes so far, this is getting so brought.

In other news, I beat Chapter 1 today and just did Touma's first side story. I'm really loving this game no far. No idea why people were complaining about the audio mix, I've had no issues with it so far at all!

ranmafan

Well I have finally completed #FE. I took my time with it, and after thinking about it a bit, its time for my full impressions. Some of them I’ve said before, and its a bit long, but I thought it would be nice just to bring them all together into one post.

Having now finished the game I can clearly say that not only did it beat my expectations for it, it far away surpassed them all. I was heavily anticipating this game when it was first announced. And I was even more pleasantly surprised by its direction when it was revealed as #FE. I expected a great game, and I got one even better than that!

First The game just looks gorgeous. Every location is well designed, with an array of colors that really stand out well. The dungeons particularly are a joy to go through. Some of the dungeons are quite beautiful. I really like the TV station one, with its Mt Fuji backdrop and beautiful classical Japanese building on a lake, yet all meant to be just part of a stage. Such a great design. The character designs are also fantastic! And the best is when you go into battles. The battles look very awesome! Great animation, full of nice attacks and special dance moves and such. Its a pleasure to watch. The production of the look of the game really is a high standard. The only complaint I have, I wish we could explore more of the environments of Tokyo in the game. But thats a common complaint I have for RPGS like this.

The battle system is as good as any system Atlus has ever made. Its fast and fun. The usual finding the weak point spells to your advantage that you see in other atlas games are here and its a blast. And the session aspect of that system is very nice. Being able to chain multiple attacks not only is a good way to win, but a pleasure to watch too. Especially as you unlock duets with your party members. While I played on a low difficulty my first time through, it gave me some challenge at times. But wasn’t too hard ever, so Im looking forward to trying higher difficulty levels on multiple play-throughs.

The music is the standout of the game. Every song is a gem, and its one of my all time favourite video game soundtracks. Easily ranks up there with the Sakura Taisen games. All the work that went into this, and the Avex Trax collaboration on the project was more than worth it. Some of these songs have become some of my favourite video game songs of recent years. Reincarnation, Fly, the Fire Emblem CM melody, and many others were a joy. Also the background music in the game was very good as well. It will be a pleasure to listen to them again and again on the upcoming vocal cd, and Im very much looking forward to the live concert in May. I do hope we get a full soundtrack cd of all the background music as well.

The story was fine. Simple, light hearted and upbeat for most of it. It won’t win any awards for the greatest story ever told, but it does its job well. I never felt board by it, and I always wanted to go back to it. Many others might be disappointed its not as dark or deep as some others, but its not a bad one at all. its enjoyable for sure. And the main reason its enjoyable are the wonderful characters in the game. Each one really stood out, and I cared about them. I loved doing all the side stories with them, learning a bit more about them and such. I really liked Tsubasa and Touma. And of course I am a fan of Maiko as well. And Itsuki is a nice main character, although would’ve liked to have seen a side story focused on him. And lets not forget all the Fire Emblem characters too. Definitely great characters. I really wanted to spend more time with them and their world.

I really got a kick out of the wii u gamepad integration into the game. Of course the usual maps and battle info was always helpful, but the phone conversations you have with all of the members of your party in the game there was quite interesting, and added a bit more to each characters background. However sometimes I would be a little distracted by all the messages coming at once from multiple people, especially the ones telling me what upgrades where available. Sometimes it took too long to get through them. But still its a cool feature. Although I really wish there were ways to easily access more information on the request missions on the wii u controller. Of course you can see where missions are on the maps but sometimes I really wanted access to more info for them like it has for side stores and the main story.

And as for the the big names themselves, Atlus and fire emblem, I think they did a good job integrating what they did from each universes into the game. The little touches from each series, the nods to them and such, really kept pilling up. And I really liked how they combined the Atlus rpg play style in battles with a level up system thats heavily influenced by fire emblems style. It was quite nice. Overall everything fit well. And to go into the whole “entertainment” world aspect of the game, its really handled well. Its the whole dream like world of entertainment people have and want of it. A fun world were people can live there dreams and everyone loves it. It never went overboard, especially on the “pandering” aspects people were complaining about from the preview vids. I never felt at all any real issues from it. It was normal and enjoyable.

To sum up everything, when it came down to it, this game was an incredibly fun experience. Its an RPG that not only was as good and worthy of all the names associated with it, but one that goes down for as a very special title. Every moment I played the game I had a smile on my face. Every mission, every dungeon, every event, every song, every little thing made me happy. No doubt of all the games I played this year, it stood out as a special game. It wasn’t just the best wii u rpg for me, it easily surpassed Xenoblade X for example, and not only was it the best Wii u game for me, it was, bar none,the best game I played in 2015. Even with all the great games we got in 2015, for me #FE was the most special. No other game came close to matching it for me.

Lastly, I really hope the game is given a fare shot in the west. We’ve seen already here and elsewhere on the net and in gaming’s many places, all the anger and upsetness about this game. As well as a ton of misconceptions about it. People have complained too much I feel about what the game isn’t instead of what it is. And they have also used the tired “pandering” arguments about idols and otakus and such, and how this game is nothing those “annoying” aspects of Japanese culture. Of course not everyone will like those things and some are bothered by them. Heck I love JPOP, anime, and all areas of Japanese pop culture, but even I have things I don’t like about them. But honestly having played the game as much as I did, I didn’t feel there was much pandering at all. Instead what I found was a game that tried something different. Tried to bring a nice simple story with great gameplay we’ve come to expect from Atlus rpgs, with that nice touch of the fire emblem universe. They created a fun world thats a joy to take part in. Honestly thinking about it, Im so glad we got this game instead of the “dream” game many of us expected from the original simple announcement back in 2013. I honestly think this is better than what that would’ve been. I applaud the everyone at Atlus and Nintendo involved in the game for taking a chance and making it. I wish so much that it would be a bigger success. I really want a sequel in this world, but since that doesn’t seem possible considering everything in regards to the game, I can at least say Im very happy with the final product we have now. One Ill be playing many times more for years to come.

Hopefully, more will try it. And I also hope that the localisation goes well, but definitely those working on it will have a hard time with the songs I bet. But still, my game of the year, and a fantastic title that I will most definitely return to to play at harder settings.

Oh and one more thing, regarding that “video” so many people got so angry about. Well, having now seen it, I felt it was just awesome! It of course was a great tribute to Fire Emblems signature song, and the way it was done fit so well with the game. Plus it was a wonderful version of the song. It was fantastic!

What a game!

Jiraiza

Alrighty, finally got off my butt and am starting my game now. First 10 minutes and I'm already giggling with glee at how Japanese this is.

A little past the first boss, so in case anyone's interested in following the game from the beginning.

http://www.hitbox.tv/Excorsism

Shun

Don't post yet.

Impressions Master Post

Impressions for OT

Finished 99% everything exclude NG+ contents (80 hours) It's really good Megaten, that's all folks.gif

What make it stand out?
- Game-play is great, well balanced, and fun
- Characters, cute but not for otakus like socials try making it seem to be
- setting in entertainment industry, rarely see in jRPG
- motions and facials when fighting are really great
- monsters/bosses design are great, bosses have cut scene when they cast unique arts and when they death
- Tokyo is very colourful here
- no technical problem (like frame rate drop, etc.)
- character status, weapons, skills, passive skills development are very easy to understand

Why it can top another Megaten?
- no boring filler and grinding much (except you play on hard)
- no over complicate quest, amount of quests and variety are proper too
- I like [Side Story] more than miss-able and tedious Social Link

Things I don't really love here.
- Story is just ok.
- J-pop aren't my kind of interest
- Generic battle/boss themes, generic dungeons design and music

I'm just Megaten fan, not Fire Emblem Expert nor into moe shit or idol shit in Japanese culture, but I like sharp FE to guts.
I'm at the final dungeon right now, and only have one sidequest and a few requests left to do.
Went over the 50 hours mark also.

- The story is serviceable, but not great. It's there to move the game along but don't expect too many surprises. I'm liking it for what it is.

- I like the graphical style they chose for the environments and characters. Every meaningful person is detailed while mob characters are just a colored silhouette (around which they play a bit with. A grey person is unconscious for example). Pretty colors everywhere!

- The sound is excellent. I like j-pop to begin with so that's not bothering me at all. Although, if you don't like that kind of music, the appeal on that front is not that great. BGMs not related to j-pop are excellent so maybe that's enough for you to gloss over the rest of the music.

- I like the dungeon layouts, there's something you don't find in randomly generated ones like Persona 4. Each one has a different small gimmick to advance, I thought they were well designed.

- Overall performance is really great with no slowdowns. I had only one instance of big slowdown in a fight, when there was my entire party going against the enemy for like 15 turns or so. The beginning was fine but as turns went on, performance degraded. Never had anything close to it anywhere else in-game.

- Combat system is a mix between SMT and Fire Emblem and you can chain attacks with the Session system. Max I got was a 20 combo streak. I like it a lot because you can dish out a lot of pain on the enemy, but I wish I could sometimes skip all the animation and only get the final result, but it's not always possible, mainly when your characters are doing "normal" attacks. Special attacks are skippable fortunately.

- Difficulty is there if you want it, and you can put a very easy mode if you die on the easy difficulty. There are some spikes here and there. My biggest hurdle was at Chapter 5 though.

- So I'm not done with the game because work kept me off it but I'm really enjoying my time with it and can't wait to continue the final dungeon and tasks. I'd also want to get every weapon and skills if possible.
Here are some of my general thoughts on the game. Overall, I didn't enjoy the game as much as others. Sorry if it is somewhat incoherent.
The story is pretty bad. The writing is not great. It reminds me of FE:Awakening or FE:If. The humour is fine, and I enjoyed some parts, but the rest is disappointing. The plot doesn't make much sense, nor do I really understand the motives of many of the characters, and the ending itself was rather bad. But I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't write anything more.

The characters themselves are pretty good (except for Itsuki), but they don't really get any chance to shine outside of their side stories. At least half of the dungeons in the game kind of revolve around Tsubasa. Compare that to a game like say, Persona 4, where each character seems to have a dungeon/story arc bit that revolves around them and develops their character. In #FE, most of the characters don't really get much character development or spotlight in the main story.

For a game supposedly about a talent agency, the talent industry, and a cast full of characters who do different things in said industry, you never actually see much of it outside of the side stories.
Itsuki is the worst for this, because he doesn't even have side stories to begin with. Each chapter begins with you (Itsuki), going to the lesson studio and doing some lessons. But you never actually see Itsuki do any kind of talent work. The most you will get is a blurb in his profile saying he did some modelling work or something. It's really shallow. Other characters aren't much better in this than Itsuki, though you will at least get to see a glimpse of their activities in their side stories.

The Fire Emblem IP doesn't really add anything to the game, and it feels really forced in the end. When playing the game, I kind of get the impression that they didn't really know what to do with the FE IP or how to integrate it in any meaningful way.

In regards to gameplay, the dungeons were varied and fun to travel through. The combat itself was fun, stringing together sessions, and stuff.
It is somewhat of a hassle to constantly travel back to the Bloom Palace to create new 'weapons' and such.
While the battles themselves can be challenging at times, equipping your characters is kind of dumbed down. You have a slot for the weapon (carnage form), an accessory, and a costume. The only thing that really matters with the weapon is the attack power and skills you will learn from it. It would've been nice if there were different kinds of builds etc you could do with gear, but ultimately the only piece of gear that really matters is the weapon.

The "Topic" system was a bit disappointing. Characters send you messages during the game, to give it a bit of extra life. The idea is cool, but the execution is rather poor. The problem is... Itsuki never replies to any body. In the main story and side story chat, he will occasional reply (often with just a, 'ok' 'sure' etc) but in the user to user chat he never replies. Eleonora, Mamori, Kiria, etc. They constantly send him messages throughout the entire game, and he never acknowledges any of them. They are basically talking to themselves. It's weird.

The music was pretty good for the most part. There were a few tracks that reminded me of SMT. The more pop/idol/etc songs, you'll either like them or you won't. Depends if you like that kind of music, but either way, that's not the music you hear for the majority of the game.

I would not recommend this game to someone who wants an RPG with a strong narrative, but if someone just wants a dungeon crawler with a lighthearted story, then I might recommend it to them.

I found the game to be very refreshing overall and it is one of my favorite RPGs of 2015.

Gameplay
I feel like this is where the game shines and it really does marry in multiple aspects of Atlus RPGs with the Fire Emblem series. Those familiar with SMT series or other Atlus RPGs may find the game easy on easy or normal, so I would recommend Hard. Seeing that I only got to have the Wii U for a couple weeks, I gave up on hard through the final chapter just to finish, but I think the game is decently challenging and fun on Hard and I think once you go through a NG+, you'll enjoy the challenge much more on the Lunatic difficulty.

The gameplay has your typical Atlus type spells and buffs, but it also brings in things like weapon weaknesses from the Fire Emblem series and the game also has a pseudo-durability system where rather than durability, your skills are tied to weapons and although you can stick to a single weapon, you're encouraged to try out different weapons for different skills throughout the game. In an SMT sense, the weapons would kind of be like your "Demon" or "Persona" because they alter your skills and they also alter your weaknesses and resistances. Some people may find switching back and forth in the Bloom Palace tedious, but I think that this aspect of the game adds in depth because it forces you to think and choose between weapon types rather than cheese through with a variety of skills like how SMTIV got easy and steamrollish later in the game. I would have preferred party bigger than 3 and I wanted a bigger playable cast, but for what you get in the 3 party system, it is done pretty well. The game balances for 3 members and gives you multiple chances to make use of it through Session Assaults, a feature that gives you an extra set of follow up attacks after you exploit a weakness. There's variety and it's quite fun. You'll be on your toes quite a bit.

Story and Characters
I found that the story was decent, it's not amazing but for what it is it does the job done. It does get dark, especially later in the game in terms of themes, but it's pretty unbalanced. I feel like there's more humor and lightheartedness and fun and that shines more, but this game still has some darker moments to it. Awakening didn't have a good story, nor did it have very good gameplay, but one thing that people always praise it for is the characters. Thats what really makes this game, the characters from the main ones to the side ones have varying levels of depth to them but they're for the most part all really fun to be around. I really didn't expect to like the cast as much as I did and I really thought I would end up hating a couple of them like I do with most RPG parties but it wasn't the case here. The main characters have variety to them, you learn that they have their own goals and aspirations and their own sides to them that you really don't expect from their initial reveal. You learn a lot more of the characters through the Topic Support system and although there are only 3, it compliments the characters pretty well for the amount of stuff you get to do in this 50 hour game.

There is A LOT of banter in this game and it's pretty amusing.

Music
I think Fujisawa nailed it with this soundtrack as his first go at it, someone new and fresh. I didn't think the tracks would be as cool and varied as they are considering his past works but I really like the themes used for battle, overworld, etc. I also appreciated that there is a big variety in the vocal tracks as well, it's primarily pop music but it goes through some different genres and the lyrics to the songs have depth to them. You might not enjoy all of the vocal tracks, but I think they are fun, they add to the game, and you have a ton of instrumental tracks that are balance it out.

References
I get the complaint that people have about the game not having enough Fire Emblem. I understand it, but for what it was I found that there were quite a few callbacks to the series that veterans would point out and appreciate. Everything from the character cameos, to the Mirages, to how they act at the Bloom Palace, to my infuriation that I get shit stats each level up, to the bosses really make it up to me. If you pay attention there's quite a few that I won't spoil, but they are there. I think it adds some more flavor to characters in Fire Emblem who didn't really have depth or flavor in their original games, the ones from Marth's games especially. Kain and Dohga are especially boring and bland in their original games but in this game they're taken a different way as Mirages and I can appreciate these depictions more since their original games didn't really have much to go by. Anna working at a conbini and going all out with the Hee Ho is adorable and hilarious.

The attack animations are so exaggerated and over the top like the older Fire Emblem games that it's really enjoyable to watch them happen as a battle goes on.

There are quite a few SMT call backs but they're not as obvious as the Fire Emblem ones nor do they have as much depth such as spells, demons, and overall terms.

However, there are A TON of call backs and references to the real world entertainment industry. A lot of characters are parodies of real life people and there are a lot of references to things like tsukkomi comedy, vocaloid, acting dramas, references to magazines, movies, and more. There's a lot to sink in and it's nice to see the attention to detail they put into this game.

Final Thoughts
I don't want to take too much space in the impressions and reviews section, so if you want to learn more skim through my other posts in this thread. I think either way these things will give a smile on your face if you are a fan of both franchises like I am. Take it for what it is and you will enjoy things a lot more.

Overall, I think this is one of the better games I played in 2015 and I can confidently recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good RPG. Though the aesthetic can turn people off initially, the game really doesn't do anything wrong with it and it does it tastefully and well.There really isn't any pandering at all to be honest. The game does a good job of sticking to the theme tastefully and playfully and it really does cover a broad spectrum of the entertainment industry. The gravure dungeon is basically the Persona 4 Rise/Kanji dungeon in this game and it really doesn't do anything wrong at all, I think it does a lot of things right in this context and you shouldn't really be fixated on a single aspect when the whole package is very thorough with variety and detail. Really if you have any interest in the theme get it, if you like Atlus RPGs, get it. I wouldn't recommend it if you want some kind of scandalous, drama filled, strong narrative. The story isn't going to blow your mind, but it wasn't the highlight of Fire Emblem Awakening either and that gets high praise here. #FE is much better than Fire Emblem Awakening and it's one of those games that is a recommend for the Wii U library.
Finished the game a few days ago and went straight into a Lunatic run which I am enjoying very much.
Here are my impressions:

Story is serviceable, I didn't think much about it at all I but guess most will probably dislike it. The side stories however were fun to go through, only problem here is that I wish there were more. If only each character's side stories could have been as long as a Commu in P3/4 then it would have been perfect.

Battle system felt easier but more punishing than the press turn system. Sessions are your reward for hitting weaknesses or using an Extra/Special skill. Enemies can use this mechanic as well but it seemed that on Hard mode regular mobs don't start using it until about half way through yet on Lunatic they utilize it much earlier. Because of Sessions getting hit by a weakness will usually result in death, not so much against regular mobs on Hard but on Lunatic you have to be careful. And losing a character in battle on either difficulty can create some really tense moments. One more thing to point out is that you are not penalized for hitting Nulls/Reflects/Absorbs, however hitting one during a Session will break the combo. Session routes themselves are automated so once you have seen the enemies resist the system will avoid hitting N/R/A's if possible. There is also a skill that you get early on that introduces another mechanic to Sessions that go around this somewhat.
Overall battles are fun even though they seem mostly automated because of Sessions firing off all the time and attack animations are also as over the top as any FE would be so a big plus there.

Dungeons were fun to traverse with their unique gimmicks along with the random battles. The dungeons though when thinking back to them are a bit small compared to something like Digital Devil Saga(closest thing I can think of). Growth systems and customization are a bit on the simpler side though I don't mind them at all and managing skill learning is just as fun as playing around with Mantras in DDS.

The game is great and I hope more people would give it a chance whether it be now or once it's localized.

Shun

Impressions Master Post 2.
Well I have finally completed #FE. I took my time with it, and after thinking about it a bit, its time for my full impressions. Some of them I’ve said before, and its a bit long, but I thought it would be nice just to bring them all together into one post.

Having now finished the game I can clearly say that not only did it beat my expectations for it, it far away surpassed them all. I was heavily anticipating this game when it was first announced. And I was even more pleasantly surprised by its direction when it was revealed as #FE. I expected a great game, and I got one even better than that!

First The game just looks gorgeous. Every location is well designed, with an array of colors that really stand out well. The dungeons particularly are a joy to go through. Some of the dungeons are quite beautiful. I really like the TV station one, with its Mt Fuji backdrop and beautiful classical Japanese building on a lake, yet all meant to be just part of a stage. Such a great design. The character designs are also fantastic! And the best is when you go into battles. The battles look very awesome! Great animation, full of nice attacks and special dance moves and such. Its a pleasure to watch. The production of the look of the game really is a high standard. The only complaint I have, I wish we could explore more of the environments of Tokyo in the game. But thats a common complaint I have for RPGS like this.

The battle system is as good as any system Atlus has ever made. Its fast and fun. The usual finding the weak point spells to your advantage that you see in other atlas games are here and its a blast. And the session aspect of that system is very nice. Being able to chain multiple attacks not only is a good way to win, but a pleasure to watch too. Especially as you unlock duets with your party members. While I played on a low difficulty my first time through, it gave me some challenge at times. But wasn’t too hard ever, so Im looking forward to trying higher difficulty levels on multiple play-throughs.

The music is the standout of the game. Every song is a gem, and its one of my all time favourite video game soundtracks. Easily ranks up there with the Sakura Taisen games. All the work that went into this, and the Avex Trax collaboration on the project was more than worth it. Some of these songs have become some of my favourite video game songs of recent years. Reincarnation, Fly, the Fire Emblem CM melody, and many others were a joy. Also the background music in the game was very good as well. It will be a pleasure to listen to them again and again on the upcoming vocal cd, and Im very much looking forward to the live concert in May. I do hope we get a full soundtrack cd of all the background music as well.

The story was fine. Simple, light hearted and upbeat for most of it. It won’t win any awards for the greatest story ever told, but it does its job well. I never felt board by it, and I always wanted to go back to it. Many others might be disappointed its not as dark or deep as some others, but its not a bad one at all. its enjoyable for sure. And the main reason its enjoyable are the wonderful characters in the game. Each one really stood out, and I cared about them. I loved doing all the side stories with them, learning a bit more about them and such. I really liked Tsubasa and Touma. And of course I am a fan of Maiko as well. And Itsuki is a nice main character, although would’ve liked to have seen a side story focused on him. And lets not forget all the Fire Emblem characters too. Definitely great characters. I really wanted to spend more time with them and their world.

I really got a kick out of the wii u gamepad integration into the game. Of course the usual maps and battle info was always helpful, but the phone conversations you have with all of the members of your party in the game there was quite interesting, and added a bit more to each characters background. However sometimes I would be a little distracted by all the messages coming at once from multiple people, especially the ones telling me what upgrades where available. Sometimes it took too long to get through them. But still its a cool feature. Although I really wish there were ways to easily access more information on the request missions on the wii u controller. Of course you can see where missions are on the maps but sometimes I really wanted access to more info for them like it has for side stores and the main story.

And as for the the big names themselves, Atlus and fire emblem, I think they did a good job integrating what they did from each universes into the game. The little touches from each series, the nods to them and such, really kept pilling up. And I really liked how they combined the Atlus rpg play style in battles with a level up system thats heavily influenced by fire emblems style. It was quite nice. Overall everything fit well. And to go into the whole “entertainment” world aspect of the game, its really handled well. Its the whole dream like world of entertainment people have and want of it. A fun world were people can live there dreams and everyone loves it. It never went overboard, especially on the “pandering” aspects people were complaining about from the preview vids. I never felt at all any real issues from it. It was normal and enjoyable.

To sum up everything, when it came down to it, this game was an incredibly fun experience. Its an RPG that not only was as good and worthy of all the names associated with it, but one that goes down for as a very special title. Every moment I played the game I had a smile on my face. Every mission, every dungeon, every event, every song, every little thing made me happy. No doubt of all the games I played this year, it stood out as a special game. It wasn’t just the best wii u rpg for me, it easily surpassed Xenoblade X for example, and not only was it the best Wii u game for me, it was, bar none,the best game I played in 2015. Even with all the great games we got in 2015, for me #FE was the most special. No other game came close to matching it for me.

Lastly, I really hope the game is given a fare shot in the west. We’ve seen already here and elsewhere on the net and in gaming’s many places, all the anger and upsetness about this game. As well as a ton of misconceptions about it. People have complained too much I feel about what the game isn’t instead of what it is. And they have also used the tired “pandering” arguments about idols and otakus and such, and how this game is nothing those “annoying” aspects of Japanese culture. Of course not everyone will like those things and some are bothered by them. Heck I love JPOP, anime, and all areas of Japanese pop culture, but even I have things I don’t like about them. But honestly having played the game as much as I did, I didn’t feel there was much pandering at all. Instead what I found was a game that tried something different. Tried to bring a nice simple story with great gameplay we’ve come to expect from Atlus rpgs, with that nice touch of the fire emblem universe. They created a fun world thats a joy to take part in. Honestly thinking about it, Im so glad we got this game instead of the “dream” game many of us expected from the original simple announcement back in 2013. I honestly think this is better than what that would’ve been. I applaud the everyone at Atlus and Nintendo involved in the game for taking a chance and making it. I wish so much that it would be a bigger success. I really want a sequel in this world, but since that doesn’t seem possible considering everything in regards to the game, I can at least say Im very happy with the final product we have now. One Ill be playing many times more for years to come.

Hopefully, more will try it. And I also hope that the localisation goes well, but definitely those working on it will have a hard time with the songs I bet. But still, my game of the year, and a fantastic title that I will most definitely return to to play at harder settings.

Oh and one more thing, regarding that “video” so many people got so angry about. Well, having now seen it, I felt it was just awesome! It of course was a great tribute to Fire Emblems signature song, and the way it was done fit so well with the game. Plus it was a wonderful version of the song. It was fantastic!

What a game!
Coming late (kinda new to Neogaf)
Not sure it'll help at all but here's some thought from my experience.

I'm 75 hours in the game and it's awesome.
I'm not into singing, idols, cute things or whatever specially, but I hav a few years of acting so I was interested in the artistic world behind the game, no regret.
I also never care about nudity, boobs or whatever issue like this as I keep that for real/private life.

If needed here are some games I like so you know my tastes :
Xenogears/saga, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 1 to 3, Valkyrie Profile... (and many others)
Non Rpg would be Gravity Daze, Danganronpa, Zero Escape, DK/Mario/Yoshi, Ico, SotC...
I'm no fan of FE or SMT especially either, I just played both more or less.

I recently had to write a review for a French magazine and to be honest I had a rough time to think of big negative criticism.
The biggest would be that the Gamepad can't be used for off-screen play or to plug headset to use it instead of the TV sound.

The story and characters are overall light and enjoyable with a few gloomy moments.
It's really the atmosphere that shines. The game is well done making you feel surrounded by this entertainment industry. In the menu, the sound, the dynamic dialogs, colours, design and so on.
It has more singing that other stuff but it's not only about that. Acting (which in a way is always involved in singing too when you're on stage) is probably almost as important.

The main character is mostly serious and doesn't stand out but I began to like it as he's generous and smart enough, but not naive. Maybe I just miss seeing people like this in real life so I like to have one in game, ah ah.

The gameplay is what shines the most with some kind of Digital Devil Saga feel but with a far better pace/structure.
The frustration is really low. You save everywhere, you can go in and out of the dungeons easily, sidequests can't be missed (it doesn't seem so).

Dungeons are not too big and possess an interesting design that really stands out.
Some are a little more straight forward than others but even then, it' s not just "sewers", or easy to do random annoying place.
Really loved the second one, really detailed and well thought.

The character growth is extremely nice and manage to offer more and more with each new character, system... that comes to te player even in the second half of the game.
They all feel different and can be used in various situations. You have so many elements from the command, radiant skills and so on, to the weapon effects.
It's not overwhelming but has good depth.

Fighting is really nice and 95% SMT. Polished one though. From my point of view there's no real Fire Emblem element in it, only extremely minor details.
You can skip every long animations except for Sessions which is not a big problem as it's just like watching a few quick attacks with dynamic camera angles and it involves same strategy.
In the end I like it more than the turn press (not sure if naming it right) that gives an extra turn when you hit weakness. These moves makes me remember End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate) a little as it involves some jumps and dynamic camera angles, though it's fixed, so, not as good as tri-Ace ones but not the same purpose either.

It has some nice challenge even out of fight when you can be surrounded by foes instantly, but at the same time you have means to ease it a little if you come with full SP (for special big attacks) and try to quickly take advantage of the fight with a good attacking/surviving method.
Even then, it makesyou think of everything you have to act accordingly which is really nice.

Music is good. I don't remember hearing terrible themes but have a few really nice ones in mind. It goes well with the overall atmosphere.
Voices are also well done and make the game even more dynamic and enjoyable.
There's only one character whose role should have been handeled a little different I think, but it's really minor.

I bought the Wii U last year, mostly for XenobladeX but I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this game.
It's just fresh and complete.
Long overdue review, and I haven't bothered to play a new game on Lunatic yet. Will edit if I feel like changing stuff.

Story:
The story is pretty much your standard, generic save-the-world plot that kicks in towards the end of the game except with an entertainment industry theme twist. The writing isn't the greatest either, what with the shoe-horned cliches, suspension of belief, and the protagonist that everyone loves for whatever reason they can come up with.

I was a little disappointed that the story didn't tackle more things related to the industry. It felt like it barely scratched the surface and most of the story revolved around Tsubasa, so the other characters' felt a bit lacking as far as their contribution to the plot is concerned.

Characters:
I liked the characters a lot, especially Touma with Tsubasa as a runner-up.

Atlus did a pretty good job with the side stories as they delve into the motivations of every character in the agency and made me like them quite a bit. I just wish they were longer. On the other hand, the problems I had with them, which applies to the concept of social links in general ala Persona, are how they're pretty self-contained stories that don't affect the story in any way and how they're primarily one-to-one affairs. For a group of friends in an entertainment agency fending for their lives from otherworldly beings, you'd expect them to be more involved with each other instead of only the forced busybody of a protagonist.

Which brings me to Itsuki, who for all intents and purposes, is a complete blank state, mostly when it comes to his place among the cast in the entertainment industry. He does have a semblance of a personality, laidback and goes with the flow, but other than that, he's nobody special with no aspirations at all. Except of course for being the MC that everyone comes to love for one reason or another. Personally not a fan of this kind of JRPG protagonist in the slightest since I hate the concept of self-insertable MCs, but whatever. In retrospect, Itsuki would make for a good Producer.

As for the Fire Emblem characters, unfortunately, they were severely underutilized. They were just there. Barely any interactions between Mirages, either. They get some focus in the side stories, but that's typically second to the human characters.

Gameplay:
I had a blast with the battle system. There's quite a bit of strategy involved since every character and monster have weaknesses and strengths you have to take advantage of. There's also the weapon synthesis system which can alter said weaknesses and strengths. That said, the progression is fairly linear with the weapon upgrades, so the customization possibilities aren't really that deep.

Similar to Persona, you have a set amount of slots for skills and you have to decide whether to learn or overwrite a skill. If you already have the skill, you can plus it to make it a bit stronger or cost less to use. This helps with the strategy since you can focus different characters on different strengths to take advantage of weaknesses,

There's also class changes for each character's Mirage, but they're pretty limited (two different paths per Mirage, which you can switch between any time). The classes give you the impression that they're focused on a particular strength, but it's hard to imagine it mattered all that much. It doesn't help that stat distributions when leveling up are random.

The sessions, ad-lib arts, and the double arts were pretty fun. Sessions are consecutive attacks by the other party members (both the ones in use and in reserve) when you strike a weakness. Ad-lib arts and double arts are stuff you get in the middle of the game, but they're character specific moves that happen on chance depending on the skill you use. My only complaint is that the sessions can't be fast-forwarded since they're pretty repetitive after doing them for the 100th time. You also don't get to do full-cast sessions until way late in the game.

The dungeons were pretty varied and I liked that they had some weird gimmick to them (some of the stages were super annoying though). They also have warp points at different points in the dungeon, so that helps with back-tracking or going back to town to heal up and upgrade.

The "Topic" system was kind of a disappointing system. I felt like it could've been utilized more and it doesn't help that Itsuki barely says anything except for the occasional prompts you can select. I was hoping for more idle and group chat between the members of the talent agency, but there weren't too many which was a bummer. Each character has their own set of icons, so I found that pretty cute.

The menu screen is pretty great, as you'd expect from Atlus. Very comfy. However, I hated how the skill list was a huge combined list that couldn't be filtered unless I missed the option somewhere.

Music:
Definitely the highlight of the game for me. As you progress through the story and the side stories, you're treated to some CG and animated videos of the characters either singing, acting, or something else. I would strongly recommend buying the vocal collection if you can, since every song has a full version except for the last song.

Others:
Load times for the physical disc are painful. If you don't care about anything physical, I would suggest getting the digital version.

Overall Thoughts:
I would recommend this game if you're not looking for a JRPG with a strong narrative. Like most Atlus games, they do a good job of making the characters likable. The only problem is the lack of equal screen-time for them all. The turned-based gameplay is very enjoyable, albeit repetitive. There definitely could have been some streamlining for parts of the game, especially the Bloom Palace stuff. Even worse when the physical load times are so long.

All in all, I would say give the game a try if you want something light-hearted and fun. Don't expect too much from the story or the Fire Emblem characters and just enjoy the colorful world Atlus built up for the next 30-50 hours of your life.

Also, I recommend keeping Tsubasa in the summer dress permanently, because she's extremely cute in that one.

Shun

OT has been updated with all the current user impressions. We expect more to be trickling in.

I have also added in karaoke for some of the songs.

Waji

Coming late (kinda new to Neogaf)
Not sure it'll help at all but here's some thought from my experience.

I'm 75 hours in the game and it's awesome.
I'm not into singing, idols, cute things or whatever specially, but I hav a few years of acting so I was interested in the artistic world behind the game, no regret.
I also never care about nudity, boobs or whatever issue like this as I keep that for real/private life.

If needed here are some games I like so you know my tastes :
Xenogears/saga, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 1 to 3, Valkyrie Profile... (and many others)
Non Rpg would be Gravity Daze, Danganronpa, Zero Escape, DK/Mario/Yoshi, Ico, SotC...
I'm no fan of FE or SMT especially either, I just played both more or less.

I recently had to write a review for a French magazine and to be honest I had a rough time to think of big negative criticism.
The biggest would be that the Gamepad can't be used for off-screen play or to plug headset to use it instead of the TV sound.

The story and characters are overall light and enjoyable with a few gloomy moments.
It's really the atmosphere that shines. The game is well done making you feel surrounded by this entertainment industry. In the menu, the sound, the dynamic dialogs, colours, design and so on.
It has more singing that other stuff but it's not only about that. Acting (which in a way is always involved in singing too when you're on stage) is probably almost as important.

The main character is mostly serious and doesn't stand out but I began to like it as he's generous and smart enough, but not naive. Maybe I just miss seeing people like this in real life so I like to have one in game, ah ah.

The gameplay is what shines the most with some kind of Digital Devil Saga feel but with a far better pace/structure.
The frustration is really low. You save everywhere, you can go in and out of the dungeons easily, sidequests can't be missed (it doesn't seem so).

Dungeons are not too big and possess an interesting design that really stands out.
Some are a little more straight forward than others but even then, it' s not just "sewers", or easy to do random annoying place.
Really loved the second one, really detailed and well thought.

The character growth is extremely nice and manage to offer more and more with each new character, system... that comes to te player even in the second half of the game.
They all feel different and can be used in various situations. You have so many elements from the command, radiant skills and so on, to the weapon effects.
It's not overwhelming but has good depth.

Fighting is really nice and 95% SMT. Polished one though. From my point of view there's no real Fire Emblem element in it, only extremely minor details.
You can skip every long animations except for Sessions which is not a big problem as it's just like watching a few quick attacks with dynamic camera angles and it involves same strategy.
In the end I like it more than the turn press (not sure if naming it right) that gives an extra turn when you hit weakness. These moves makes me remember End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate) a little as it involves some jumps and dynamic camera angles, though it's fixed, so, not as good as tri-Ace ones but not the same purpose either.

It has some nice challenge even out of fight when you can be surrounded by foes instantly, but at the same time you have means to ease it a little if you come with full SP (for special big attacks) and try to quickly take advantage of the fight with a good attacking/surviving method.
Even then, it makesyou think of everything you have to act accordingly which is really nice.

Music is good. I don't remember hearing terrible themes but have a few really nice ones in mind. It goes well with the overall atmosphere.
Voices are also well done and make the game even more dynamic and enjoyable.
There's only one character whose role should have been handeled a little different I think, but it's really minor.

I bought the Wii U last year, mostly for XenobladeX but I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this game.
It's just fresh and complete.

ohlawd

you need to fix that lack of SMT and FE in your life

I think FE7 and 8 are available on the Wii U eShop
3DS has a bajillion SMT games; get all of them.
if you have a PS2, go buy Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2.

play them all

actually reached final boss just before my 3 straight exam days.... and i see why you're kinda 'frustrated' with that boss, shun... hahaha

Waji

you need to fix that lack of SMT and FE in your life

I think FE7 and 8 are available on the Wii U eShop
3DS has a bajillion SMT games; get all of them.
if you have a PS2, go buy Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2.

play them all
I don't like Fire Emblem that much for a few reasons like counter attacks always happenning, weapon breaking or others. I'm extremely picky with tactical Rpg.
I think the only Trpg I completely finished were the Shining Force III (the 3 scenario). Really loved these.

For SMT, I'm not a fan of demon breeding and even less of one person view battles
And when it comes to Persona, I really dislike the daynight timing with vague choices between acitivites to do for social link and all. Random dungeons may also not be that interesting.

That's also why the only game I could bear more were the Digital Devil Saga and SMT3 kinda.
I mentioned DDS in my "review" because I played both more or less. I stopped near the end in most games because of the dungeons being too long and for other reasons.
That's also why #FE is the one I like the most when it comes to gameplay.

To be honest someone offered me the game. Luckily the choice was good.

Jiraiza

So far I'm up to the intermission right before chapter 5. Having a blast, though the loading times really kill me when I want to grind for material/leveling up my Carnage weapons. I really wish you could speed up the Session chains though. The character skillset customization is pretty amazing, think I spent a few hours trying to figure out what character should go physical, magic, healing, buffing, and debuffing.

Liking the side stories so far, though it would've been nice if the main cast ones were more involved with the others which is more or less my complaint with Cold Steel. Atlus does it a lot better though, to say the least (expected). The one side story where Kiria mentions she'll kill Touma for no particular reason got a big chuckle out of me.

That said, can't help but roll my eyes a bit when everyone starts thanking Itsuki for their success or whatever. Also at Kiria apparently developing interest in Itsuki, especially considering she's 4 years older than him and has been in the business for a while. It's Atlus, but still makes me smh. I suppose it's a bit more tolerable because Itsuki was chosen by a Lord, but that's still stretching my suspension of disbelief a bit.

Should be done with the game pretty soon.

Also, Touma's the man.

progressing slowly in lunatic run... hopefully i can get to that secret boss by this weekend
Is there a full version of "Give me!!" in the game, or does the preview from the Vocal Collection indicate that the soundtrack will indeed have full versions of songs that were otherwise shorter?
nope. the one in the game is basically that duet cutscene from one of the nico housou
seems like the vocal collection is missing one Tiki song?
no it is not. it's missing dia majo kiria ver.

StereoVsn

Thankyou for these massive write ups guys!
Indeed, really appreciate all the impressions. They actually made me kind of hyped for the game.

Best Buy actually has pre-order up for the game in US but nothing so far on release dates. I guess that's alright since I haven't really started Xeno X but at this point FE# would be more interesting to play.

Kid Ying

I'm still playing! At ant steps, but still... It's a shame i'm so busy these days, cause i'm really loving it. This game is so charming that i dont even remember playing an RPG like that in a lot of time. The characters feel so alive that it's hard for me to not care about them. Really likes how well the game treat them.

I don't think its the the best game on the wiiu, but its certainly on the top 5 or so. Although i loved DQX, this one is the best RPG on the wiiu, that's for sure.

I hope i can finish the game before 2017, hahaha

Capra

Thankyou for these massive write ups guys!

Yeah, it's nice to see some detailed impressions from people who've actually played the game. From what I'm reading, it sounds like pretty much everyone has good things to say about it!

Hopefully the internet hate-boner for this game dies down before it finally releases over here. It looks really fun!

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, it's nice to see some detailed impressions from people who've actually played the game. From what I'm reading, it sounds like pretty much everyone has good things to say about it!

Hopefully the internet hate-boner for this game dies down before it finally releases over here. It looks really fun!
I honestly expect better feedback when it's actually out here and people play it. Versus people making assumptions that it's bad from watching videos.

Waji

It doesn't have that much flaws. The only thing that made dislike the story a little is just an element can't talk about without going into spoilers. But it's not "bad", just "ah... hoped this thing would be better".

Anyway since a few years I can't find stories in games so good so it doesn't make the game worse than most at all.

Shun

Someone posted a thread for it but it got drowned pretty quickly.

I wrote a little feature for my site about three things I really dig about the game:

http://dokidokikusoge.tumblr.com/post/137834582091/three-neat-things-about-genei-ibun-roku-fe

If you wanna add any of that stuff to the overall impressions.

Thank you for the incremental update, it helps for people who want to follow outside of final update.

I add your final thoughts when you get the chance.

1/2-way done with lunatic run...wish i realized a certain 'cheap' strategy for ch.3 boss earlier... that should save me a bit of time lol

Jiraiza

Well, finally finished the game, they really zoned in hard with the dense MC protagonist and MC apparently being the only important guy in the universe capable of changing others for whatever reason (think I'm starting to get really fed up with this kind of writing from Atlus these days/JRPGs in general). Totally bummed out we didn't get to delve deeper into the character's Mirages, too.

That said, the game was a blast and there were plenty of humorous moments to be had, so I had a good time.

Will write a review eventually.

Time to find the OST/insert songs and put them on infinite repeat.

Makio

Seeing how Nintendo (Treehouse) handle the localization of Fates and Xenoblade , wonder how much are going to change or "adapt" from this one.

Specially the songs they are going to keep it in Japanese (which seems the easy and best choice to go) or they are going to adapt / made english versions from it.

That would be awesome , i mean you can imagine a English version of Reincarnation or a english version of the
Super Saiyan Marth / FE Theme
that could be the funniest / greatest thing i see in a dub so far.
Big spoilers in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTl8gDQiKiE

Coming from how "well" they adapt the main theme of FE Fates (Aqua Song).
But of course is easier when you only need one VA can sing not like 6-7 of them like #FE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwLQAA_V8E

(Props to the singer / voice actress for not "ruin" an almost perfect song).

But yeah besides that , this going to be a interesting localization , and really looking forward to see how they handle it as a whole

PD : Nintendo Treehouse is doing the localization , not Atlus right

Xbro

Seeing how Nintendo (Treehouse) handle the localization of Fates and Xenoblade , wonder how much are going to change or "adapt" from this one.

Specially the songs they are going to keep it in Japanese (which seems the easy and best choice to go) or they are going to adapt / made english versions from it.

That would be awesome , i mean you can imagine a English version of Reincarnation or a english version of the
Super Saiyan Marth / FE Theme
that could be the funniest / greatest thing i see in a dub so far.
Big spoilers in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTl8gDQiKiE

Coming from how "well" they adapt the main theme of FE Fates (Aqua Song).
But of course is easier when you only need one VA can sing not like 6-7 of them like #FE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwLQAA_V8E

(Props to the singer / voice actress for not "ruin" an almost perfect song).

But yeah besides that , this going to be a interesting localization , and really looking forward to see how they handle it as a whole

PD : Nintendo Treehouse is doing the localization , not Atlus right

At E3 they said it was going to be hard finding good singers as well as good VAs. So at least we know they are trying for that.

Shun

Genei Ibunroku #FE Visual Works release 2/26.

Ca0s_GuUcAAWfLb.jpg:orig

In terms of music and english localizing. It will probably be similar to how Kingdom Hearts redid Utada Hikaru songs, except Nintendo needs different singers since the JP seiyuu do not sing in english like Utada Hikaru does.

Actually I'm not even going to bother trying to make lyrics in English not because I I don't speak it well enough but realized how different the stressing was in versions for Kingdom Hearts was when reading the lyrics for the songs. Even though they used the same instrumental behind the song. Like the way Miyu Irino sings Under the Sea in that game was different from how it was in the English track for Final Mix.

When they do this game in English it might end up being similar situation, the gist of the song is there but the way it is performed and delivered might be different due to different stressing and words for each verse. If they do the songs like that then there shouldn't be any issue.

Isotope

I adore the artwork for this game, so I'm absolutely picking that up. Thankfully AmiAmi had it up for pre-order. Thank you for the heads up, Shun!

Top Bottom