• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast Help

Kamek

Just loaded up my Dreamcast for the first time in 12+ years. When I try to load a game, it goes to the SEGA screen, then goes back to the main screen where it says play disc, music, vmu etc. Any one have any solutions or fixes?

Try a different disc? That's the boot sequence for an unreadable disc. Or perhaps a broken disc drive.

The good news: Dreamcasts aren't all that expensive anymore.

Just loaded up my Dreamcast for the first time in 12+ years. When I try to load a game, it goes to the SEGA screen, then goes back to the main screen where it says play disc, music, vmu etc. Any one have any solutions or fixes?

No foolies, flip the console upside down and try again.

Had to do it to play disc 3 of Shenmue a few months ago.

Kamek

My Shenmue disc is clean though. It's been largely untouched with no scratches. Is there anyway to fix the disc drive or clean the laser maybe?

This is gonna sound really dumb, but play the game with the disc cover cracked open. Basically, put something light enough on the disc cover to keep it down, but don't actually click it closed. This is what I have to do with mine.

Mike Golf

You need to adjust the potentiometer, what controls the laser intensity (I believe). I have had to do this numerous times although unfortunately it keeps happening after working for a while. Many vids online that walk you through how to do it if you search for DC disc read problem or something along those lines.

Kamek

Tried flipping it over - no go.

Tried putting something light on it. It wavers between two things. One - I just keep getting insert disc even though there's a disc in there. Or, it teases me, starts to load, goes to the white SEGA screen, then goes back to the system menu.

:'( I wanted to play Shenmue for the NYC snowmageddon.

i-Jest

So the disk isn't spinning? I have this problem too. My Dreamcast goes to the same screen and won't boot the game. A lot of people I've asked said you might as well get a replacement when that happens. I was told there isn't a real solution, you can try to air brush the insides as thoroughly as possible to see if that might work. It's worked for some.

If someone has a real solution please share.

Kamek

So the disk isn't spinning? I have this problem too. My Dreamcast goes to the same screen and won't boot the game. A lot of people I've asked said you might as well get a replacement when that happens. I was told there isn't a real solution, you can try to air brush the insides as thoroughly as possible to see if that might work. It's worked for some.

If someone has a real solution please share.

The disc doesn't spin when I close the lid. When I almost close the lid, and put something on it, it does. But the game doesn't go farther than the sega load screen. The video I posted above seems to have a fix. I'll try it out tomorrow and report back. I think the issue is, like many have said before, with the potentiometer.

Check the video I posted.

Kamek

Update:

I now realize that the laser somehow shifted up after 12 years in storage. I shifted it back down. I put a case on the lid so it thinks it's closed. I get about as far as the load screen now for Shenmue. It is just stuck on "Now Loading".

I'm going to open it up and try to adjust the potentiometer thing.

Update:

I now realize that the laser somehow shifted up after 12 years in storage. I shifted it back down. I put a case on the lid so it thinks it's closed. I get about as far as the load screen now for Shenmue. It is just stuck on "Now Loading".

I'm going to open it up and try to adjust the potentiometer thing.

Hate to go on about this, but now that it's actually loading the game, try turning the console upside down.

I only bring it up again because that is the exact same issue I had.

Kamek

Hate to go on about this, but now that it's actually loading the game, try turning the console upside down.

I only bring it up again because that is the exact same issue I had.

I appreciate the advice. I did it before without adjusting the pot, but I'll try it now. I have to put the cover back on. Adjusted to pot twice. Still stuck on loading. I'm desperate at this point.

Kamek

Turning it upside down didn't work, but after adjusting the potentiometer 5 or 6 times, I finally hit the sweet spot!!!!! BLIZZARD SHENMUE TIME. Thanks to everyone who gave advice, and helped out, and suggested solutions. I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom