• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info regarding PSVR processing unit.

WarpathDC

The article I had to read using Google translate but it speaks to how the social screen runs in parallel with the PSVR and how this is accomplished using the separate processor in conjunction with the PSVR and the sacrifices needed to achieve this on the social screen side of things (maintaining 1080p/60fps reprojected to 120fps).

http://m.game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20160130_741514.html

Direct link to Yoshida's Tweet referencing the article: https://twitter.com/yosp/status/693566655230685188

Social screen, I flinch and for plunged that "compared to the VR screen if the frame rate is not low for at the TV screen?", Also Mr. truly Yoshida "eye looks good!", Is PSVR 1080p, for 120fps of the output of the TV monitor was confessed that it is dropped 720p, to 30fps.

Also from the article: On top of that, we were also answer for the technology that implements the social screen. Mr. Yoshida, PSVR not only headset, processor unit is also bundled, as is its name to the processor unit, which contains a processor that performs arithmetic processing, and branching video to VR and TV, It has a role that each output the optimum picture. In addition, the processor unit, me revealed that it is also performed 3D audio processing. It should be noted that the re-projection processing to 120fps equivalent is of being carried out in PS4 body rather than the processor unit.

So basically confirmation #302 that the PS4 handles the reprojection and not the processing unit and that the social screen is actually only 720p30 instead of previously thought 1080p30.

Basically. And that games need to run natively at 60fps to achieve 120fps reprojected which is nothing surprising. I'm curious to see how driveclub's fidelity will fare in order to double the frame rate and magnified in VR. I bet it still will look good, but having used VR pretty extensively to date (non of the consumer models as of yet though) I can safely say every imperfection is greatly amplified. Aliasing drives me nuts normally, so seeing it blown up in my face can be detracting from the experience at times.

Lock if old or in 720p/30pfs ;)

WarpathDC

There has been more news about the tech in this device rather then news about Playstation VR games.

Yeah it seems like everyone is asking "what's in the box"
it's two ps4s ducktaped together
. Actually I shouldn't joke as there was actually a thread asking about that the other day lmao

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So basically confirmation #302 that the PS4 handles the reprojection and not the processing unit and that the social screen is actually only 720p30 instead of previously thought 1080p30.

Social screen, I flinch and for plunged that "compared to the VR screen if the frame rate is not low for at the TV screen?", Also Mr. truly Yoshida "eye looks good!", Is PSVR 1080p, for 120fps of the output of the TV monitor was confessed that it is dropped 720p, to 30fps.

WarpathDC

Basically. And that games need to run natively at 60fps to achieve 120fps reprojected which is nothing surprising. I'm curious to see how driveclub's fidelity will fare in order to double the frame rate and magnified in VR. I bet it still will look good, but having used VR pretty extensively to date (non of the consumer models as of yet though) I can safely say every imperfection is greatly amplified. Aliasing drives me nuts normally, so seeing it blown up in my face can be detracting from the experience at times.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I am not sure what to make of this post. Ate you alive if the PSVR is able to actually do 1080p at 120 fps?

Fredrik

Hmm, won't a game optimized to run at 1080p and 60fps (or is it 120fps?) look kind of ugly in 720p running at 30fps? I mean it's the weirdest type of downgrade, first we get lowered graphical fidelity to reach 60fps and 1080p and then we get lowered resolution and halved framerate. Luckiky it's not the play screen that gets affected though, but looking at 30fps on the social screen with the fast motion from tracking the head movement might make people nauseous.

vpance

Hmm, won't a game optimized to run at 1080p and 60fps (or is it 120fps?) look kind of ugly in 720p running at 30fps? I mean it's the weirdest type of downgrade, first we get lowered graphical fidelity to reach 60fps and 1080p and then we get lowered resolution and halved framerate. Luckiky it's not the play screen that gets affected though, but looking at 30fps on the social screen with the fast motion from tracking the head movement might make people nauseous.

It probably wouldn't make much of a difference even if it could unwarp to 1080. It's still working off of the view of 1 eye minus borders which is already low in res.

Anyways, it's further proof that this box is no powerhouse and will cost like $40 to make.

It probably wouldn't make much of a difference even if it could unwarp to 1080. It's still working off of the view of 1 eye minus borders which is already low in res.

Anyways, it's further proof that this box is no powerhouse and will cost like $40 to make.
Hopefully that also means Sony is looking to come in at a more "affordable" price compared to the competition

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fredrik said:
and then we get lowered resolution and halved framerate.
As mentioned by others - social screen is lower resolution by default (on all devices, not just PSVR) unless you render the scene an extra time separately from VR.
Framerate isn't really a concern from the demos I've seen, and do note that Sony is also looking for social screen as a second display applications (not a mirror of what HMD user sees) in which case there's no head tracking attached to it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I was under the impression that this information was already known? The processor "unwarps" the image in order for it to be displayed on the social screen, handles the 3D audio processing for the PSVR unit, and also handles the re-projection of the 60FPS feed into 120FPS, using the positional data of the headset to warp the image. The hardware needed for this type of computation is minimal, so it should be relatively inexpensive to produce. Good to have another source, I suppose.

cheezcake

I was under the impression that this information was already known? The processor "unwarps" the image in order for it to be displayed on the social screen, handles the 3D audio processing for the PSVR unit, and also handles the re-projection of the 60FPS feed into 120FPS, using the positional data of the headset to warp the image. The hardware needed for this type of computation is minimal, so it should be relatively inexpensive to produce. Good to have another source, I suppose.

That's not at all what the source says. The PS4 has to handle the reprojection because it requires access to the depth buffer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There was a Sony presentation that even went into detail on how the reprojecrion works and how much time it takes from the PS4. Can't find it now but will have a look. So that is definitely on the PS4

Having the social screen be 720p makes sense because the source image is effectively only 960 wide at most (one eye being half the width of the 1080p display). I'm a little surprised it's only 30fps but I suppose that lets them keep the cost of the processing unit down

Durante

Speaking of Oculus, I read yesterday about the SDK 1.0, it seems it will be able to project the (unwarped) view of the game on the normal screen as you play, too.
On PC, where you have multiple display outputs, it's much simpler. You don't need any shenanigans of encoding information into a limited data stream and then decoding it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On PC, where you have multiple display outputs, it's much simpler. You don't need any shenanigans of encoding information into a limited data stream and then decoding it.

It hasn't been simple on previous devkits though, so it is good news that they are sorting it out.

WarpathDC

That's good to hear. Call me crazy this is a feature that needs to be easy to do out of the box for all consumer VR. In fact it should be a prominent feature. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes isn't a system seller, but a great demonstration of the family/friend interaction that is needed for when VR goes from enthusiast to mainstream. A game that takes advantage of a screen for the audience of the VR user (even if it's just laughing, screaming etc along with the user) helps break the element of isolation that has, to a degree, dogged VR.

gmoran

I'm curious to see how driveclub's fidelity will fare in order to double the frame rate and magnified in VR. I bet it still will look good, but having used VR pretty extensively to date (non of the consumer models as of yet though) I can safely say every imperfection is greatly amplified. Aliasing drives me nuts normally, so seeing it blown up in my face can be detracting from the experience at times.

Having finally bought a FF wheel for PS4 and unlocked the full version of DriveClub, I've noticed that what I now mainly do is Time Trial's , without weather effects or time-lapse, so I can concentrate on trying to drive good and fast laps.

So I'm hopeful that DC, and GT S, will have VR modes optimised around the driving and presence aspects, and that the eye candy will largely be for the TV versions. And for this generation I'll be more than happy with that compromise.

Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom