• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The general press may have misreported the tapeout of Pascal GPUs.

tuxfool

Banned
Courtesy of Phawx, there is an interesting article regarding the supposed tapeout of Pascal GPUs.

A few weeks ago the press was atwitter about Nvidia and Pascal along with some “incontrovertible proof”. You may have noticed SemiAccurate did not write anything on the topic, we just shook our head in utter disbelief.

This disbelief was not about how someone had found a real scoop or the press dug up some interesting news, just the opposite. This “incontrovertible proof” of Nvidia’s Pascal not only existing in silicon but shipping internationally was anything but, in fact it said quite the opposite. These sites who copied their material from a single source all misinterpreted the data, badly, if they even bothered to read it. So badly it made our heads physically throb, dozens of tech sites none of which actually had the barest technical knowledge all professed it in headlines.

But it gets worse than that. Months ago there was a report that Nvidia had taped Pascal out, and it too made the rounds of the ‘tech’ site echo chambers. With dozens of sites all saying the same thing because they all copied from the same source, it had to be right, right? So it was now “proved” that Nvidia taped out Pascal last June or so, someone on Beyond 3D posted it in a forum, 3D Center wrote a story on it, and at least a few dozen more repeated it. Proof Internet style.

tl;dr: The tape out reported by the press was likely not production silicon but early testing hardware. Given the typical development timelines it is liable that Pascal won't ship in June.

This is from Charlie Demerjian, so grains of salt and all that, but it remains an interesting read.

Bolivar687

Banned
Not a single view yesterday? Really? Says you posted it in the EST afternoon.

This would be a crazy long gap between series' if true, correct?

tuxfool

Banned

Who knows. Typically, Nvidia takes longer than AMD to transition to smaller nodes and with Maxwell and general reputation they don't have as strong an impetus to reach the market first.

Didn't read article. I'm guess it says 6 months for hbm2 exclusive?

Nothing of the sort. You should read the article. It is more an analysis of what people reported as tapeout of production pascal dies turning out not to be correct.

Interesting. AMD said they're targeting the get their cards out mid year, before the school season starts. But not sure if that headstart, if this is true, will matter though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Current rumours placing Pascal at some point in the back half of the year is why I bit the bullet on a 980 Ti despite already owning a regular 980... well, that and the fact I'll likely be able to sell it for the very price I paid for it. The extra VRAM and general oomph may come in handy before the launch.

holygeesus

Banned
Current rumours placing Pascal at some point in the back half of the year is why I bit the bullet on a 980 Ti despite already owning a regular 980... well, that and the fact I'll likely be able to sell it for the very price I paid for it. The extra VRAM and general oomph may come in handy before the launch.

It's why I bit the bullet too. Then there will be the wait for ti variants too. Long time to wait.

Hypron

Decision to not listen to people saying "wait for pascal" and buy a 970 last month vindicated. Waiting for more than 6 months with a shit GPU when there are cool games coming out is just not worth saving a bit of cash.

tuxfool

Banned
Interesting. AMD said they're targeting the get their cards out mid year, before the school season starts. But not sure if that headstart, if this is true, will matter though.

Though they have apparently shown larger dies, the current working demos have been for smaller GPUs.

Given that AMD is using both GloFo and TSMC, one supposition would be that they're producing their lower performing GPUs at GloFlo, hence the head start.

low-G

Not a single view yesterday? Really? Says you posted it in the EST afternoon.

"NeoGAF: we don't want to believe"

I bought a 970 last summer and I have only twice ever upgraded a single GPU gen in my 22 years of IBM PC gaming.

Renekton

It doesn't seem to matter, as Nvidia was late with Kepler on new node too.

Luigiv

Ugh, that article is unreadable. I have no idea what the author is even trying to say, his sentence structure is so incoherent.

Top Bottom