• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #44 - "Five Years"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Theme - "Five Years" is not the actual the theme, per se.

Five Years is a song by David Bowie, first track on Ziggy Stardust. It was inspired by a dream of his dead father telling David he would die in five years in a plane crash. He was twenty five at the time with thirty looming on the horizon. So listen to the song and write whatever it inspires in you, either in the moment or sometime later when you think it over. Or just read the lyrics, or maybe the title alone is enough. It doesn't have to be connected other than whatever it clicks in your head. To help in this, here's two youtube links. One is of Bowie performing the song near when it was released, and the other more than thirty years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=louXPUW7tHU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkCc_qiI7UA

Lyrics: http://lyrics.wikia.com/David_Bowie:Five_Years

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, 2/10 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, 2/11, and goes until Saturday, 2/12 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: No idea. Is someone wants to suggest one, feel free.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- YOU MUST VOTE in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Writing Challenge FAQ

Scribble

I really like this song. My mother used to play bits and pieces of David Bowie when I was young, and about a year ago I decided to 'properly listen' to one of his albums. Ziggy Stardust was the album I picked (Naturally), and this song clicked with me immediately. So I suppose I can call this one of my favourite album openings ever!

Great challenge.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Very interesting idea, this should be great! Really hope I'm able to write and not be burdened with work this week.

Cyan

Banned
Congrats on the win, Aaron. Excellent piece; made good use of the strengths of the form while managing to avoid the weaknesses.

Not sure what to think about this one just yet. Hmm...

Been so long since I posted, I don't even remember my avatar! But an interesting theme. I'ma see if I can get back in this.

Did the date format change for these? Is that four days to get them done and out? woooo.

Scribble

As it goes, a few days ago I was searching the net to see if any authors have written short stories to music, and stumbled across Stars: Stories Based on Janis Songs (Janis Ian) so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this...

(And there's Neil Gaiman's Strange Little Girls written to accompany Tori Amos's cover album, and that one sci-fi Beatles story about their 'final album')

Cyan

Banned
hey_monkey said:
Been so long since I posted, I don't even remember my avatar! But an interesting theme. I'ma see if I can get back in this.
Awesome! Glad you're back!

Did the date format change for these? Is that four days to get them done and out? woooo.
Hmm... probably an error. I'm sure Aaron will fix it next time he's on.

ronito

hey_monkey said:

yay!!!

Hey_mono putting the girl power in the...um....creative writing challenge...

Just a random question: Is it a bad idea to use obsolete definitions of words in your prose? Such as using illustrious, for example, to mean "bright" or "luminous."

Thoughts?

Ask what it adds to the sentence, paragraph, character, or work. If it's addition adds more than the probable confusion, I'd say it's fine to keep.

Aaron

hey_monkey said:
Fixed the dates. I tend to get them wrong on the first time, but didn't check it over this time.

Cyan

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Just a random question: Is it a bad idea to use obsolete definitions of words in your prose? Such as using illustrious, for example, to mean "bright" or "luminous."

Thoughts?
Depends on why you're using it. If you're using it for lyricism, meter, poesy, etc (and knowing you, you probably are ;) ), and the reader can figure it out from context, great. If you're just dropping the word into a story at random... probably not. Generally better to choose the option that won't hinder communication between you and the reader.

Well, yeah, it's for poesy. It's more of a contradiction of imagery, though, by applying "illustriously" to a "grime-ridden disease-stricken ghetto."

crowphoenix said:
If nothing else, the topic got Hey_Monkey and Scribble back.

Welcome back, you two.

ronito said:
yay!!!

Hey_mono putting the girl power in the...um....creative writing challenge...

I'm feeling some love right here. NOW TO WRITE A STORY OH GOD

I started something like four over winter break and couldn't finish any. Ugh. And I have one due for class the day after the challenge deadline... maybe I can kill two birds with one stone here.

suggestion for secondary challenge: in order to submit your entry, you must sing it like david bowie and post the video on youtube

Geez, I'm in trouble. I decided to write a four-part set of short-shorts around one theme. Or rather, repurpose two older ones and write two new ones. The complete thing is two long... I guess I'll just post one of the four, I guess--one of the two I wrote anew. But I'm not sure they work on their own. Ugh.

Neat theme, though. Really got a lot of ideas cranking in my head.

bengraven

I came up with a great story today...

Mike Works said:
suggestion for secondary challenge: in order to submit your entry, you must sing it like david bowie and post the video on youtube

You need to go back to your "task" thread from before. It was the highlight of my day, until it got several people, including yourself banned. Just keep NeoGAF out of it and have fun. :D

Puddles

Banned
I think I'll make my GAF Writing Challenge debut with this one. Right now the only thing is that listening to the song while reading the lyrics makes me think of one thing, but watching the live performances makes me think of something entirely different. Gotta narrow the ideas down into something workable.

kozmo7

That's where I'm at too Puddles. The source is kinda abstract, I can't really get my mind to stop going all over the place. It should be really interesting to see what everyone else comes up with.

Ashes

Banned
Well this should be fun. Watching the news on my week off. Depressed by the world I live in, I go looking for some inspiration in the writing challenge thread. Watch a song inspired by a guy whose dead father told him in a dream that he was going to die in five years. :(.
Don't get me wrong, I think I can relate to this one. Only problem is when I can relate in such a big big way, the fiction gets blurred with the truth... It was my dad's passing away anniversary on the 29th. Fifteen years to the day. 4:15 pm. :-(

Time to take a break from Citizen K. This time its personal. :-<

edit: been writing. It was way way too personal. Time to bail on this shit. And write something, i can tolerate others reading. Man, this always happens... I might not get an entry in this week. :(
here's a youtube video instead: David Bowie & The Arcade Fire - Wake Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wEBmLht5g&feature=related

good luck everyone.

yeah I still have no idea. I have two midterms, each on Monday and Tuesday, so unless I come up with something tonight or Sunday, I may bow out.

Irish

I didn't write this specifically for this challenge, but it was written just two days ago.

I didn't really know Michelle all that well, and I'm pretty sure she didn't know me. However, even though we've never been close, she's been with me for a lot of the defining moments of my life.

I met her on the first day of the second semester of my sophomore year (she was a freshman). I had just moved out of the house I grew up in the day before and had just moved in with my grandparents (temporarily) who happened to live down the street from her. I was also returning to school from a sickness that had kept me out of school for at least two semesters. Despite all of that, she managed to put a smile on my face with the very first words she spoke to me on our way home from school. Somehow, she managed to open me up in less than five minutes time. Never before had I held a conversation with a person I had just met. This conversation wasn't really a one time thing either. Almost every day for the next semester, she helped me unwind from a long day at school. She turned every trip home into a highlight of my day.

By the time that semester had closed, my family had moved out of my grandparent's house, ending my daily conversations with Michelle. Sure, I saw her every once in a while around school, but I never really got the chance to talk with her again. Still, she wasn't out of my life yet.

I continued to see her on the days when my life changed tremendously. In a way, it was slowly becoming her theme, gimmick, maybe even motif. On the day I became an uncle, I exchanged a couple words with her in a grocery store aisle before I went to the hospital. In July of 2008, I took my little sister down to the park at Hawthorne elementary. Michelle and another girl were there, moving about the obstacle course and performing flips and tumbles in the grassy field near the equipment. After maybe half an hour or so, I stumbled on the semi-spherical jungle gym and shattered the end of the bone near my knee joint, creating an inoperable injury that has left me with a limp I'll have for the rest of my life. The very same instant I incurred my injury, Michelle slipped and fell during one of her fantastic stunts, injuring her ankle in the process. I'm not really sure how serious her injury was, but she was fine enough to walk home with the help of her companion. A few words of sincere encouragement were exchanged directly after.

Finally, last Saturday evening, I was out walking on Fenton Ave. very close to the time she was. Had things happened only slightly differently, I would have been hit by that drunk driver instead of Michelle. If I had only stayed out a little longer, I may have found her lying in that snow in time to preserve her youth and life. I wasn't there, however, and that will always be on my mind.

Her brilliance pretty much came to an end that night, however, by a difference of maybe fifteen minutes, my dull existence continues on.

I'd just like to pay my respects to her friends and family, all of whom are most definitely feeling the loss of her radiant light much more than I am. Still, her joyous charm is sure to live on in the back of my mind and heart as well as many others'.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The Perfect Sound
Word Count: 249

The music blared from Malugo’s stereo at 4am on a Friday/Saturday night/morning. The sound perfectly encapsulated the moment. It was as if the Gods handed down some perfect melody/harmony for that exact time.

“We’re not friends.”

And that was that. Despite all conflicting outward appearances, decision-making was never a problem for Malugo. Everyone is so indecisive, he thought. The act of simply deciding was almost enough to change the world. Very few had ever changed the world without having made the decision to do so.

“I’m finished with you.”

Although not a soul was within any vicinity to hear his words, he said them aloud. This makes them more important. I’ll show you what I am, right now. My words follow my conviction, as do my actions. By sheer will you will understand what you’re missing out on. Love it or hate it—you will understand what it means to be me. You will understand what I am. What I’m made of.

“The totality of my being will become apparent.”

I am gone. I am not better or worse, but I am different. Changed in some subtle, imperceptible way by the events of tonight. The same melody plays on repeat into infinity. In that perfect sound, something is revisited, something is rekindled, something is lost, something is awakened. In 5 years you’ll regret this, but you already know that. I won’t. I’ll follow the sound into forever.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I didn't listen to the song before submitting my entry. I thought about submitting a 2 hour long mp3 loop of a section of music I made within my entry but I figured that would annoy people since people don't seem like they care about art that much.

AnkitT

His arbitrary notions of the physical world were crumbling before his eyes. His image laden eyes were full. Chewing the scenery would be an understatement.

&#8220;This can&#8217;t be happening.&#8221;

He was clearly not ready for this and it showed. The clear explanation should have made it easier, but he was still hesitant to vacate his pre-conceptions. He reached for the last Marlboro in his left jacket pocket and proceeded to smoke. His presence was still intact. His words still existed.

&#8220;There is hope yet!&#8221;

He looked over the landscape of nothingness and it looked back at him. Well, he at least had a concept of what nothingness is.

He forgot how it began, but the progression wasn&#8217;t tracked. He started walking. No sound, no footprint. His tinnitus accompanied him. He sat down a while after. It felt like free-fall, but he was used to it. A lot of time went by. He couldn&#8217;t tell, nor was he bothered as it meant little now. He was now back in his apartment, remembering nothing at all. Funny thing, those memories.

&#8220;I&#8217;ll be right there!&#8221;

It was right there at the back of his mind.

&#8220;Late as usual&#8221;

&#8220;Sorry, I was just&#8230;&#8221;

Then it all faded and he realized something.

&#8220;This can&#8217;t be happening&#8221;

But this moment felt all too real. He removed his jacket and threw it away like it was cursed. As soon as that action took place, he lost track.

&#8220;It is too cold, should have worn the jacket&#8221;

He had stopped resisting it like he would use to. This made it easier for him to exist. He forgot his own name.

&#8220;This hasn&#8217;t happened to me before&#8221;

As if he knew something prior. But the ringing drowned away all the curiosity integral to his past self.

&#8220;It was the music&#8221;

The sound he made at the end of that sentence. It was something known! He ran intently and then stopped. There was a sign on the floor which read:

&#8220;STOP
Government Five Year Plan in progress&#8221;

He didn&#8217;t understand what was in progress, but he stopped, watching the sign disappear.

&#8220;Was it my fault? I can&#8217;t remember&#8221;

He said it like someone was supposed to be taking notes. Maybe there existed a being to whom he had some servitude before all this began. He sat down. He looked instinctively for his last Marlboro, but forgot where he had put it. This should have made him feel anger, but the ringing drowned it out.

A very faint sound emanated nearby.

&#8220;Late as usual&#8221;

He could pick up on what was said, but it had no meaning to him. Context was probably lost to him. A much louder sound was now heard.

&#8220;Round 2&#8221;

This must have been some sort of trigger, because the sign now made sense to him. Five years had passed. His mind was supposed to be the venue.

&#8220;What was it? Damn it!&#8221;

&#8220;It was some sort of emission test, EMIT, it was called&#8221;

It was all fragmented, but it was more than enough for him. He felt warm for some reason. The feeling made him forget again, the bliss was overwhelming. His arbitrary notions of the physical world were crumbling before his eyes.

&#8220;This can&#8217;t be happening&#8221; he said in a neutral tone before looking in his left jacket pocket for the last Marlboro he had.

It is a very loose interpretation of the theme, hope it's OK. Good luck to all! :)

Aaron

Cracked Actor
word count: 1,717

Five years was all Doctor Strauss would give me.

Met him for the first time at some charity event my agent stuck me with to soften my image. It was all dark suits, low conversations, and the clink of champagne glasses. I didn't expect to raise much interest in this crowd of eggheads. So I watched as they gathered around him like dumbstruck teenagers, and that made me want to meet him without even knowing he was the best in his field.

"Five years," he told me. I had just turned twenty. My heart clenched like a fist to know there'd be no second opinion.

I couldn't act worth a damn really. Just another handsome face to fill a few fantasies, to be tossed aside in a few years like a used condom. I already had some money. Not a lot. I was bad with it. Could have quit, but free time would just gnaw away at me until I cracked when I had so little of it left.

I had to keep working. I was already lined up for the role of a sickly young man, dying of an unnamed disease, so some woman could sob over and emerge stronger. Ugh. Wasn't sure if I should have laughed or cried from the irony, so instead I threw myself into the role head first to keep out any thought of the future. Didn't work. Some people saw. Some people wept. The critics called me an adolescent, fumbling through my first experiences at true emotion. They were probably right. I was waking up.

Didn't know what to do yet. Only knew I needed to travel outside of the usual Hollywood, New York, Canada film cycle. I ripped through the pile of offers, most of them for more melancholy roles or fucking vampires, and found some mini-series in the UK looking for an ugly American. My agent was against it, but it was two weeks work in the countryside with part of the filming in a god honest castle. Ended up being this anachronistic arty piece. I didn't understand it, but my character was only there to drink all the booze and sleep with all the women, which I threw myself into with a deviant relish to make the men curse and the women blush.

I barely slept. Being a relative unknown there meant I could ride the trains from one end to the other, watching the Scottish highlands gradually fill up with stone and steel by the time I hit London. I went to pubs, clubs, and art houses. I listened to the stories of old men, and slept with every woman I could find. I sought places and people with an appetite that couldn't be sated, cramming in every sight and sound until there wasn't any room to spare, and did it all again the next day after two hours of rest.

Tabloids caught whim of my expeditions, and there was all sorts of fallout from that. The usual half-truths. Though it did prompt the Travel Channel to offer me a multi-part show as a tour through France. I'm sure they expected some trashy 'celebrity descends into oblivion' farce, chugging wine in one hand and insulting the locals with the other. Instead, I was all eager interest and respect whatever we did and wherever we went. They would goad me with boredom and lunacy, holding their breath to wait for a wicked punchline that would never come. When I shed a tear at the sight of the rolling hills with their trellises of fat grapes damp with morning dew the crew held back laughter. I smiled.

Tourism in France nearly doubled after the show. Might have even gotten a medal from the government for that. I couldn't spare the time to meet them. I had another shoot already lined up, some sci-fi shithole being filmed in the Ukraine that my agent talked me into. I wanted to see mountains, hear symphonies, but instead I was acting to a tennis ball on a stick standing on a pure green set. I threw a few tantrums, got into a fistfight with the director, ducked out of work when I could. Paid an extra to show me the local ruins, to find out suddenly that she was a prostitute. Don't know why they didn't fire me on the spot. Kept my agent busy at least.

Did a mini-tour for the troops stationed all over the Middle East. Was surrounded by apologists at all times, expecting me to say something to the armed forces or the locals as I passed through cities both ancient and modern, all scattered with sand. I barely had any words for any of them. "Give peace a chance."

I was sick all through Africa, hitched to a nature documentary on the wild plains and how people have been eating away at them, or poisoning the sky, the water, crushing everything with the indifference of a child crushing a soda can. I couldn't remain somber though. I breathed deep of the dust and smell of rotting carcasses. Even when a lion attacked our camp, or when we run short of water when our jeep broke down, I never lost my smile. I was thanked later by the crew on when the show won an award for keeping everyone's spirits high. I had no time to accept in person. I had already passed on to the next port of call.

Did some commercials in Japan, accompanied by a translator who would relate the most insane shit in the calmest voice I have ever heard. I grinned in a yukata and spoke gibberish on command, like a trained monkey that was also part of the shoot. I went on talk shows where they had girls dressed up as bulky flowers with dogs in bee outfits. It was a fever dream, backed by the scream of young women who went mad when I crossed the street. The true earth and sweat of Japan was forever out of reach. It was claustrophobic wherever I went. A relief to leave it behind.

I passed through South Korea in a blur. I was semi sort of friends with a fellow actor and heartthrob from there, a man who placed style above all else. I remember driving his expensive car just so he could be preening before his next appearance in public. The women screamed for him. I was growing bored. I picked at Korean BBQ while he dominated the karoke stage, unable to hear his voice over the girls trying to sing along. I did my guest spot on his crime show, and left unnoticed. I was running out of time.

Politics kept me out of China for too long. The government delayed me just to have it coincide with a few festivals, where they could shove me to the forefront and claim all the credit for it. They surrounded me, pressed up against me, while keeping me back from the common people. I could reach out my hand, but I couldn't touch any of them. That sea of faces. The somebodies and nobodies, tall and short, fat and skinny.

I never thought I would need so many people.

I was pushed and shoved through the wonders of this ancient landscape, and spent more time looking at my watch than giant malls or old palaces. When they at last brought me to stand upon the Great Wall, I wanted to throw my hands up and shout "Next!" Instead I bit my tongue. I needed them. A few weeks left and only one stupid, clichéd item on my list. So after inane arguments and posturing, they finally allowed me into Tibet.

Didn't even know if he'd be there. Know he travels around a lot. But he was waiting. When my old, tireless guide led me to the monastery on the mountain, there was already a young monk waiting for me. Waiting for me to ask the question, just so he could smile and nod, leading me on through those hallowed halls. And at the end he was there seated on a simple cushion, waiting.

"Do I need to say anything?" I asked him, dizzy and exasperated, but mostly worn out from the five year long scattershot journey I had taken over the planet, seeing, touching, and tasting so little this place had to offer. More than one lifetime could hold.

The Dali Lama smiled and said, "I have heard of your exploits, and guessed the reason behind them. I do know what you have come here to ask, and I think you know you did not need to come all this way to ask it. There is no guarantee, but it's certainly possible. It's the will that matters. The belief in more than flesh and bones."

"I thought you'd say something like that," I told him with a chuckle of relief, feeling a single tear forming. I was shaking Not much time left. I swallowed my misgivings and shed myself of the pain I had been holding back these five years. Now there was only one thing left. "Then you already know the favor I want to ask."

"I have pencil and paper here ready for you," the ancient man said as he offered them to me, his eyes older than any I'd ever seen.

So here it is. I was never much of a writer, but I've done the best I could. I was never much of a mystic either, but if you're reading this and any of it sets off a flash in your brain then maybe there's a bit of me in there. Maybe there's something more to life than the strain in my eyes and the pain that wracks my whole body. Five years isn't enough... but maybe it doesn't have to be.

Yourself truly,
Simon Devlin

A middle-aged woman answers the door. A boy of four years peeks out from behind her legs. The neighborhood is peaceful with similar houses all arrayed in neat rows. Their lawns are an afterthought. Many stand on neglected grass to stare at me with eyes wide and not understanding. I do not mind.

The woman gasps wordlessly. She manages, "Can I help you?"

I smile. "I have a letter for your son."

I, technically, have an idea. I am just getting sick, super distracted by Mass Effect 2, and going to be busy all day tomorrow.

So, lets see if I can get something on paper.

Timedog said:
I didn't listen to the song before submitting my entry. I thought about submitting a 2 hour long mp3 loop of a section of music I made within my entry but I figured that would annoy people since people don't seem like they care about art that much.
And it was fucking amazing.

bjork

Time sometimes crawls, but other times it seems to whiz right by. You've been gone four years and some change. The first year was hard and stood out, the second and so on have been noted but easier to handle. This December will make the five-year mark. Why five year chunks are treated as milestones, I don't know. I still talk about you all the time, but I try and keep the stories from becoming legends. I'd rather explain how you really were, rather than stretch facts and distort my own vision of you.

I think about things that have changed since you've gone, and how you would have reacted or adapted to them. You can still see HBK on Raw, fear not. Bret's back right now, and I can just hear you running the poor guy down because you despised him so. Ann moved away and will be married off soon, so your idea that I should have married her is dead and gone. I wonder if you'd be disappointed? She was always out of my league anyway, but you never saw it that way. I wish you'd met the friends I've made since then, Mikey is a really good guy and I think you'd probably tell me to marry Kelsey. Maybe some day.

I haven't been to your grave. I know roughly where it is, but I don't know exactly where. I don't want to see it. Seeing you in a box was hard enough. And I don't need to visit a grave to remember you or to talk to you in my mind. I keep wondering if I'll have a desire to go see it, because some say it's disrespectful that I haven't gone. Maybe if enough time passes. But four years hasn't been time enough, so five may not be either. Sorry. Say hi to Bear for me, huh?

(not really an entry, I'm no writer. Just felt like typing)

ronito

I think my problem is that I've always been a huge fan of the song and it's always felt like a complete work to me. I can't really think of anything to add or take away or take in a new direction. The song just is.

I know it's my own failing.

Author's Note: This was written fairly quickly, and it's a little rough, but I figured since I wasn't gonna get anything else out there by tomorrow, I'd give this a try. I may just be sending it to the dogs to tear apart, but c'est la vie. Also, if you get annoyed by the apostrophes everywhere, it's partially because I was writing in dirty realism, and that requires me inserting a Southern-ish, lowbrow accent, and that's why the imagery, too, can come off as plain.

Told with Brevity, Fed by Angst
Word Count: 1,538

I'm gonna give you a small look into some piece o' history, and you could probably get through it in the time it takes you to microwave a tee-vee dinner, take off the packaging, then wait for it to cool. You won't like it as much as you would your cancer-giving nuked corn pellets, or the overfried processed chicken, or the too-chocolatey brownie that probably doesn't taste like your mom's cookin'. But not much does, really. So instead I'll give ya something mediocre, sub-par, a nice creme-de-la-creme film that provides just enough sustenance so you can get through your day without any reason to look back.

She left me years ago. How many years? Five. Not a special number, or a great number, or a particularly unique number. I know from schoolin' that that number can represent somethin' from the Bible, somethin' called a pentacle. It acts kinda like a shield and has five important virtues or some shit that represent each point. She was kinda like my pentacle. She was virtue incarnate and when I nestled against her in bed after some rough night of passionate sex, I felt kinda like I was in God's hands, only God probably wouldn't have ran away from me like she did. I say runnin' away 'cause when push came to shove she curled into a ball, like ya do when you're a fetus, and pretended the whole world didn't want nothin' to do with her and her with it. She was the kinda person you could love, but only so long as the expiration date lasted, and you'd never know when that date was 'cuz it was in her mind and you had no control over it.

I mean, I'm nothin' special. Just an average joe named Joe and all that I wear and all that I say comes out pretty fuckin' average, but to nab a girl like her? Takes some real mojo. I'm talkin' balls the size of Alaska and I don't even know how big that is. I know that it's pretty damn big, that's for sure. She was the heart and soul that fed my mediocre passions — to work as a carpenter, to create rugs and pattern floors and make people's homes livelier, even if it was only to a small degree. She loved the way I made rugs n' she'd help, too, but never enough to take over and make it better than I did. Nah, she just offered advice, and nurtured me like one of them Muses do. I don't really know what a Muse is but the word sounded pretty good so I threw it on here. When I write — n' that's not very often, I assure you — it's kinda like I throw the words against a canvas, or whatever, and let the paint dry and run down and hope the words come out right even if they don't. More often than not they come out in dribbles and circles and they make no sense to anyone but me. And I'm fine with that. I don't wanna overachieve... but with her I kinda felt like, at least, trying.

Her name was Miranda. She was bombshell gorgeous with one o' them hourglass-shape bodies that all the models yearn to have and all the girls get jealous about. She had fire-red hair but sea-green eyes and they kinda tempered all the passion she had inside sometimes. I never got to see that passion in any positive way, no, 'cuz it only came out when we fought. Oh and did we fight. We would fight about everythin' — my clothes bein' in disarray, my hair not straight enough, my fashion sense bein' all 'off' or whatever. She'd get pissed when I didn't make enough friends per day for her or some shit, like I had a quota to fill with new connections. Each day it would change, too, like if I didn't talk to one of the neighbors or if I didn't invite a coworker over for dinner one night. I knew what she was gettin' at but that didn't mean I wanted to do it all. I mean, I'm a nice guy and I like makin' friends but... I got limits, to, ya know? And she pushed those boundaries more than she should've.

But I loved her. God I loved her. She was caramel dripped on an apple, so that when you bite into it the first thing that hits and lingers is that sweet sweet candy coating, followed by the fruity core that gave succor to the bite. Or maybe she was like cotton candy at the fair, all fluffy and sweet and probably not good for ya in too much of a dose but it makes the whole trip worthwhile, so you eat a ton of it. And maybe that's what she was to me — a journey that was good for a time, only two years in fact, and after that I gotta move on. The paths are presented and I gotta walk 'em, even if it isn't with her. You're probably wonderin', why in the hell did we break up? I guess the answer's obvious. Or maybe it isn't, but to me it was, and maybe that makes me smart, I dunno. She got tired of poor old mediocre Joe, always strivin' for something that could never be greater than what it was. I'm not gonna be ambrosia dripped out of a horn of plenty, but instead I'll be some average maple syrup you can buy from the store. Either way, I'd give ya some delight even if it would eventually be outclassed by somethin' new... so she ran away, and found someone better. I hear they're not doin' so well either, probably 'cuz of the reasons I said before. But I miss her, and that yearnin' is fierce and it pours rage out of every word I say, an' every word I write.

There's too much in my head and it all wants to get out, it all wants to be said, but I gotta make promises; I said I'd be brief so that's what I'm doin'. My story, I'm sure, sounds similar in some ways to somethin' that happened in your life, and maybe the variables aren't entirely the same but the beginning and end gotta ring some sorta chord in you. I hope it's not pity or sympathy, because those two emotions're nothin' but lies, and those who abuse them only do so 'cuz they feel obligated to, not because it's necessary. I've had too many pats on the back, too many hugs and too many lies that come out of people's mouths like snakes; stuff like "You'll get over her" or, "Things'll be better." They won't and you're lyin' to me so don't give me that shit. The only piece o' truth I've ever heard outta someone's mouth 'bout when you lose love is this: "The wounds stay there, and the scar never heals, but the strife makes you stronger, so you can take on the next war with your conscience at your side."

Not much longer, I assure ya. There's a few more things I wanna say: When ya head into love, ya always gotta be cautious. There's warning flags and STOP signs but there's never a YIELD. Because YIELD doesn't exist in love because it's an emotion that has pitfalls and traps and mines. It's all about tiptoeing your way around all the danger and comin' out on top. Not necessarily to be better than the person you're with but to be as equals, 'cuz both of you have had to do the same thing even if neither of ya are willin' to admit it. So ya calmly admit that you're on a level playin' field but ya never say how long or how much it took to get there. With Miranda, I never felt like I was on even footing 'cuz she was always up there playin' the game as it was meant to be played. She knew all the rules and the loopholes and when the bad got even worse she would flee. She would hightail it to the nearest shelter and wait out the storm, not botherin' to go outside and get the groceries of her emotions that she left on the doorstep, not caring if they got soaked and battered by my inadequacy.

There's no such thing as being good at love, because it's all tricky. It's proper maneuvering and political shit and people get hurt and you can't avoid that. There's no such thing as a relationship without fights, and there's no such thing as a love without a taint, like an infection that never quite goes away, always stainin' that perfect red Valentine's heart y'always wanna characterize your relationship as. So my advice as an average motherfucker in an average world, filled with nothin' but average people who, on occasion, have sparks of genius?

Don't let love control you, instead, learn it; find where the traps are, dodge 'em, and come out on top. Because waiting for you is someone who is just as battered and bruised as you are.

Ashes

Banned
ronito said:
I think my problem is that I've always been a huge fan of the song and it's always felt like a complete work to me. I can't really think of anything to add or take away or take in a new direction. The song just is.

Try stream of Consciousness...

Ashes

Banned
Here and there
Word count: 1623

Dear Ashes,

Don’t fret friend, I am fine here. I was glad to receive your letter. I feel that I can share the burden of my thoughts with you. Even if it may take you weeks to write a letter and months for me to write one back. Sometimes I wonder whether a day has gone by -between a paragraph- or a week. Our English teachers are probably turning over in their graves as we speak. :(

The times are harder for Muslims here and over there, you said. I live amongst them and find their society to be fairly ordinary. I am always surprised to hear people criticise a Muslim tailor there for what a Muslim butcher did over there. I know a doctor here and a doctor there who share the same ethical viewpoint. I know a lawyer here who is just as crooked as another lawyer over there. The arms dealer over here sells his wares just like he does over there...

My daughter is still an aid worker over there. This one time, she sent me a box of photographs taken by her fiancé. These photographs made me wonder about the world I live in. I thought to myself: why does a mother have to pray to her god to ensure her child lives through the day? I wonder whether I should blame the god she believes in or the society she inhabits.

I know there are 'some' 'Muslims' over there who want to take over what we have over here. And I am at a loss to explain why that is... They live in the war torn part, and we, put simply do not.

And then there are people like Hashim. He is a person from here who now lives over there. He wants to keep the flames of war suppressed over there, and hopefully extinguish it someday.

I have this dream. I wish to get up one day and find no news of an active war. Every morning, I get up, switch on the television and wish there was peace here, there and everywhere. And I wake every morning, watch the news, and sit silenced.

These are my neighbours, I say to myself. One of my neighbours is raping a woman, whilst another is giving the rapist a pardon, whilst a third is laughing at this 'backward society'; a fourth is getting angry; the fifth is asking for more light on the matter, and the sixth is debating the third and the fourth, in a coffee house...

Yesterday, a woman came running out of church. She had been lit on fire. The passerby who covered her with his shawl and made her roll on the floor was a Muslim. The doctor who treated her was from over there, born to Hindu parents and was herself agnostic. Her treatment was funded by an atheistic well-wisher who had given to a charity run by a Jewish organisation. The man who put her on fire was her husband and he was a person who had no religious affiliation. And this entire human chain, was uncovered by a Christian reporter....

I took my weary bones to a school last week. There was a child there who raised a very good point. We drink from our wells here, and we drink from their wells, over there. We pay our water companies almost triple what we pay their water companies. The water we import was supposed to be excess water for swimming pools and sprinklers for our gardens. It costs more to import water from over there and yet it is cheaper. The child asked: why do the people over there charge less?

I didn’t know the answer then and I don’t know it now. Perhaps we wield more power here than the folks do over there. Perhaps they need the money more over there than we do over here. Perhaps there is more demand here than over there. Perhaps we have more capital, spending power and consumer choice. Perhaps this shows that capitalism works better for some people more than others. Perhaps... Perhaps... Perhaps.

When I asked the child what she thought, she replied: It’s because they are all uneducated idiots over there. They do not know about market theories and/or forces. They allow us to play one of them off the others. And they do not stop fighting to live their lives. If only they would stop their corrupted ideologues, raise their education standards and stop this sword fighting.

I asked her whether we incur any social injustices on them. She shook her head. And I knew I was done...

I've fallen to being quieter these days. I rock to and fro on my rocking chair; I sit just outside my front porch. I smell the aromas of curry in the air. I watch the rain fall. I watch the people pass by. I feel old. I remember my youth, when I had the motivation and energy to challenge the system and brainstorm ideas to improve the quality of life. The quality of life for one child over here and a mother over there. A father over here, and his daughter over there.

I've grown a beard through laziness. And by extension, I have grown a little deaf, am mute for long periods at a time and somewhat blind. I am alive...barely. I can unearth a tear...I can cry... It is about as much as I can do these days...

There are some over there, that think we right here, do not care about the people over there...but they are wrong...

This morning, I got up from my seat and took a two minute walk over to their side. I had to pay the soldiers a fair bit but that was okay. They treated me like -the senior citizen I am- wanted to be treated like. I needed the support of my walking stick and the walk was a little painful but that was also bearable.

I have seventy five years under my belt, and this was the first time I had walked around my entire neighbourhood. It is an understatement often repeated, but it ought to be said. It is one thing seeing pictures in the news and another experience walking through the alleyways.

I looked at their broken houses and bombed out apartments. This was less than a hundred metres from where I lived. This was where the people who were causing us misery lived. I saw the poverty stricken school, the open drains, and the filthy clinic. I met a Muslim youth who brandished his AK44 in an attempt to intimidate me. I stood upright, firm, resolute and did not utter a word. He laughed in my face. I knew the fool was embarrassed well before he walked away. I want to say that idiotic gun wielders exist both here and there. Although here is now there and there is now here. I wonder, what would have happened, had I been born over there and not here. I mean...you know what I mean, don't you?

Tomorrow, I hope you wake up a slightly better version of yourself. Five years from now, I hope the world is a better place. And if you are the person that makes that happen, I sincerely would have liked to shake your hand and thank you in person. Alas I fear that I will not live to see that place, but I hope that you do and that you live your life gracefully in that place. I hope you have children who are good, and more importantly, I hope that they get to breathe in free air. I wish you a find good partner to share that life with.

I was completely floored when you told me that I have seen my wife less than fifty times in twenty seven years. Twenty seven years. Good god! Have I ever told you why she went over there? Quite simply, she chose to return to the house she was born in and help her neighbours until the violence rescinded... One day became a week. One week became a month. One month became twenty seven years and counting.

After nearly three decades, I have finally relented. But alas it is with great sadness that I say dear friend, that the doctors give me less than the weeks left in the year. I haven’t told the Mrs yet. Although I dare say, she already knows or feared the worst. It was she that sent for the doctor.

I realize now that, perhaps this letter will reach you after I have left for greener fields. It has been three months in the writing as well. The Mrs tells me that you are to come today. I am in an odd place right now. I know how my story turned out... I feel that had I had the energy, I will have been capable of writing a million words describing here and there and all the plots in between.

{Tear stains make part of this sentence illegible to read} go to your headstone happy, I say. Can you write this on mine please? :

“There will be some of you that do not believe that wars end. They do. There will be some of you that do not believe in love lasting. It can. And there are some of you that have lost their faith in humanity. And for you I have these words - often repeated by teachers all over the world. Endure. Do good. Better yourselves. Spread peace, not hatred. Burn ignorance, and turn to light. {Illegible} Books. “

I suppose that is it for now. This is goodbye by way leaf then.

Take care,

kozmo7

hey_monkey said:
Oh my goodness, I'm so glad the deadline is Pacific... I might get finished.

:lol Me too, but grammar is gonna be rough.

Edit: Shoot, scope of my story got way out of hand. I'll still post it sometime later here for all your opinions on it.

Aaron

ronito said:

You're not really supposed to be adding or taking away from it. It's supposed to inspire you. There's so many moods, themes, and moments packed into this one song that you can take any one of them and spin it off into something entirely different.

starsky

I was desperate enough to believe.

To believe that I was wrong. To believe that I could be fixed. To believe that everything could be new again.

The day of my arrival to the clinic, I was desperate enough to surrender anything and everything I had, everything I was, to their wisdom. That felt like a life time ago, though only three months had passed since. Aged a thousand years in a blink of an eye, only to suffer the burden of the cross called 'Truth'. There is no escape from my memories, from my deeds, from the sins that I had become.

But I did not know this when I arrived here, twelve weeks ago. I was a tired, selfish, horrible, horrible man, who believed I was entitled to salvation - despite the things I had done.

They called this place The Sanctuary.

Despite its name, it had a certain eerie reputation. A few friends told me that people who had gone in would be so thoroughly, so fundamentally changed, that they were not the same people when they came out. I did not put much stock in these kinds of talk. Bad press was not something that a prominent yet exclusive organisation could avoid.

When my sister joined up, however, The Sanctuary became a strange and real presence in my immediate life. She had married another Sanctuarist, despite the reservations of our parents. The first few months, everything seemed as normal as ever, and slowly we lowered our guards and accepted her husband into our family. And then, Debra started to change.

For the better.

She had never been the brightest blossom in the garden. Debra was quiet, kind and simple. After her marriage to Tom Warden, though, little by little, she acquired a certain polish of persona. She became outspoken, slightly sarcastic and incredibly vivacious. Not the sister I knew. The Debra that I had always had to make concessions for, the little kid sister who was forever mousey and timid. Gone was Debra Gale, in came Debra Warden.

Sometimes I wonder at night, did she really change for the better? The concepts of being more of an extrovert was equal to her being a better person bothered me, and yet, I did nothing. I was neck-deep in my own troubles and I had never had any time for any one else but me. Me, me, me.

Such a fool. Such an importunate fool.

And so, I am here now, waiting for the morning to come, pale and beautiful and final. But the night is yet at her fullest and I wait, wait, wait. I sink and simmer and I drown in my memories.

A person forgot that he was just another man when he had big, swanky titles like Chief Executive Officer or Vice President or Supreme General or, in my case, Senator Gale. I forgot.

It started one rainy night, five years ago. It had been a long, long day, and I had succumbed to one of my private vices. I went to a cheap motel and I made love to a man. Then I went home to my loving wife and family. No one in my family knew of my inner lust. It was not as much as a taboo as it once was, but nevertheless I was ashamed of it.

The trouble started one morning, in a yellow envelope. Stills of my perversion tumbled out into my office desk, and I felt as if pieces of the world came undone around me and everything was upside down. It had been awhile since I had scotch at nine in the morning.

At length, I called my most loyal staff members to the room and I showed the photographs to them. They were really good. They are, I believe, still a few of the best people in the country. One of them told me that infidelity was not something new in the face of mass media, and we would survive this if we handled it right.

But he did not understand. I did not want the whole mess. I thought I was above messes. So I nodded and smiled and thanked him and the few others who thought like him. I promised that I would do what’s right and talk to my wife and family. Then I asked them to step out of the office.

I turned to the only assistant that understood me. We exchanged a look and he sighed.

A few nights later, the blackmailer’s brother was beaten to within an inch of his life.

Oh, God. The things I did. I did not realise it at the time, but once you got away with something bad, you started to believe that you are untouchable. I got away. I beat someone up and scared the hell out of the blackmailer that he surrendered all the negatives immediately. I felt… great. I’m ashamed to say so, but I did. I felt …big.

And so, I started to see things differently.

A journalist wanted to dig up some dirt in my past. He gave me a heads-up and told me that he would be glad to do a candid interview and to include it in his piece, so I may have my side of the story. I stared at him in the eyes and grinned my big smile and I patted him coyly on his hand. I told him to ‘bring it on’. I felt giddy.

His daughter disappeared the next day.

We returned her unharmed the day after, but we had sunk the all-mother of fear into his heart. I ran into the journalist again a week after, and I asked how little Betty was doing at her very lovely school, Sunnyside Kindergarten. All the blood drained from his face. I felt powerful and invincible.

A local environmentalist tried to stand in my path. She was going on about how we did not need a new golf course in my state. She was making everything very difficult. Lobbying and leading protests at key sites where my arrivals were scheduled. Eventually, she became enough of a nuisance that the entire project was endangered. Some politicians, they were not like me, the yellow ones tried their damnedest to avoid all sorts of bad images. Cowards and idiots.

I had to do what I was very good at doing, by that time.

We took her intellectually-disabled sister and …oh, God, … we ruined her, that’s what we did. We ruined her completely and unconscionably. We left her in the streets to be found the services. The environmentalist’s world crashed down and she left her crusade against the golf course to care for her sister. I won. Again.

But, that was the beginning of the end. Though I did not know it then.

And all the while, Debra blossomed and grew and became this formidable Mrs. Warden. My parents spoke their concerns to me, but I waved their old-age fear mongering with a loud laughter. I told them, maybe it was time that they are homed in an old people’s retirement village.

My mother gasped and turned her face away. My father’s eyes went cold. I felt a little guilty, but I had become too big-headed by that time, and I dismissed the remorse. In fact, I hated that these two old people could still make me feel vulnerable. Who were they to do so! They had never amounted to anything in their entire life! I became a Senator!

I clenched my whisky glass and I sneered at them.

My father rose and told me sharply. “Debra does not even remember her childhood anymore, Jake. That’s how disturbing this whole thing is. But you’ve never had time for anyone else but you. Don’t worry, we will let ourselves out.”

I threw my glass after their exit and I laughed at their small achievements. I compared what I had accomplished to what they were and I felt enormous and mighty.

That was probably the darkest moment in my stupidity and one of the last few ones. The next month after that, that damned environmentalist woman committed suicide. She left an online clip on the internets of all the evidence and proof that she had been gathering ever since her sister was kidnapped and raped and beaten.

My assistant rushed to my office with the breaking news. And I knew then, that I was done. There was no threatening dead people. There was no way out of this. So I crumbled.

It was Debra who came to me with her soothing voice. She cooed and rubbed me softly and she told me that I still could grasp a measure of salvation. My wife left me, and she took the kids with her. I did not blame her. I could not face the eyes of my little guy. And the baby girl was probably much better off never knowing her daddy. I let Debra pour glass after glass of hard liquor and I drank and drank and drank.

Eventually, I surrendered to her cajoling and I signed some papers. I did not even read them. I just wanted to believe in her lines. That I could be fixed. That my life could be repaired and made new again. That everything was going to be fine, if only I trust myself over to these people. So I surrendered and gave everything over.

I felt strangely light and liberated, in fact, when I signed those documents. When I gave my life away. I even laughed a little, for the first time, in many long nights.

“They are investigating me, Debra. They won’t let me go. I have done terrible, terrible things.”

She smiled and took the papers away from me.

“Don’t worry. The Sanctuary is just up state, you don’t even have to cross any borders. Just drive up, or take the bus, if you’re too drunk, and they will take care of everything.”

“Will they fix everything?”

She nodded and rubbed my face gently, and then she kissed me on the lips like a lover. Everything went dark after. Something was wrong. Something felt wrong. But I was too desperate and too abandoned not to want that false hope that she was offering.

That was three months ago. I do not know what is happening outside these walls. Are the investigations still on-going? Will they ever going to call me out and drag me through the public eye to give my full and truthful testimonies at the court? I lost track of the world outside the Sanctuary.

I had been very good, I think. I took all the pills they made me swallow, and I surrendered to the strange therapies that they put me under. Some were painful, some were bizarre. They shaved my head and they bathed me and clipped my nails. They put me in a room and then they did something with the air in the room. I think I hurt myself in that room. I think I scratched at the walls and banged at the door so hard that my fists were broken.

I don’t remember little details.

But after three months, they finally told me that I was ready. Tomorrow morning, I would be made new again. I cannot wait.

I am not a fool, and despite my fall from grace, I was once a good politician. I could read people’s faces plainly. They had lied. I was a failure of an experiment. Whatever they tried to do with my body, with my mind, I had failed it. My memories could not be erased, unlike Debra’s. I was unable to part with the burden of my sins. Their eyes could not belie their disappointment in me. But I smiled and I nodded at the chief doctor.

It had been easy to play along, and I wanted to do so until the very end.

I stretch and watch the lightening sky.

Noooot gonna make it, I think; the section I was going to submit for this of that multi-parter I started is now about to pass 2000 words. :(

Great theme, though! Sure got me working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom