• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS 2016 Line Up By Nintendo Revealed (Verified Source at Nintendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On twitter: "I don't know what Retro's project is, but those are the first substantial rumours I've heard about Retro post Tropical Freeze. Exciting."

Rumors are here I suppose.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4501013?alert=1

so pay him and he'll tell us a rumour that may or may not be true so i'm not committing to it it's just a rumour and he doesn't even have all the info

is this even ethical

So wait...did this just confirm Zelda NX?

Zelda NX and 2016 system launch are as good as confirmed, baby.

Surprise! It's kinda funny that Nintendo killed all last hope for the Wii U in 2015 to help the NX.
Wii U doesn't need any more hope, I guess.
If it's getting replaced within a year they don't need to invest a lot more into its small installbase, they're better off investing to make sure the NX doesn't become the next Wii U

This may be an extremely dumb question, but would it be possibly to create scalable games? For example, could the new Zelda be the same except for resolution and other things like lighting for the Wii U, NX (assuming it's a home console), and maybe even the 3DS (or its successor)?

I'm not familiar with the technical side of game design whatsoever, so I'm just curious if such a thing could happen. I get that a new home console could potentially have BC with the Wii U, but could the same games we play on console basically be downscaled for handheld?

Edit: My question applies to new games. I.e., those that were designed on an engine with the ability to scale.

Brew124

I'm ready to move on from the 3DS, honestly. That being said, I do plan on picking up Return to PopoloCrois, Bravely Second, Rhythm Heaven (if it is indeed one of the code name games), 7th Dragon, and Dragon Quest VII/VIII to close out the 3DS' library.

He does have some good sources, but he does share most of what comes across his desk...so to speak (even when he's not supposed to)

The thing is with being credible is that it involves picking and choosing. Tamaki seems to tell everything he hears, as you say, and then falls back on the "it's just a rumour" defence. If you don't believe it too much yourself, why report it? Having these behind Patreon too just seems shady as well. Blech.

I used to not mind too much but my thoughts on his credibility have really soured in the past while.

Escalario

Banned
Reminder that Tamaki is the same guy that was saying Shovel Knight will be in Smash. Also that there would be a Direct in October 2015. Or that Splatoon will get playable Octolings.

Reminder that Tamaki is the same guy that was saying Shovel Knight will be in Smash. Also that there would be a Direct in October 2015. Or that Splatoon will get playable Octolings.

IIRC he threw a tantrum about GAF on twitter too during the Devil's Third debacle because people on here were questioning his accuracy.

EDIT:
Apparently this happens often.
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=doctor_cupcakes neogaf&src=typd

Though I don't want to turn this into a "let's all shit on tamaki" thing as much as I think he's 50/50 and... kind of petty apparently.

Malus

IIRC he threw a tantrum about GAF on twitter too during the Devil's Third debacle because people on here were questioning his accuracy.

EDIT:
Apparently this happens often.
https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/687936449388408832

So I see gaf bashing tamaki and tamaki bashing gaf, dunno what to think lol.

I see he's been wrong before but that doesn't nullify him as an insider necessarily. It means I wouldn't take his word as gospel but you could say that about most any insider.

Tripon

So I see gaf bashing tamaki and tamaki bashing gaf, dunno what to think lol.

I see he's been wrong before but that doesn't nullify him as an insider necessarily. It means I wouldn't take his word as gospel but you could say that about most any insider.
You should see how he got permabanned from GAF. See him try to spin that racist shit.

Anyway, back to the topic of the 3DS, sorta. Do we expect backwards compatibility with the NX for the 3DS?

Mory Dunz

If there was any doubt, I guess so.

for me, I never doubted Zelda NX.
I doubted if it'd launch entremely close to Wii U Zelda.

But it appears it is now. So I'm likely getting NX Zelda and skipping the Wii U one unless something changes.

My thinking was that if Zelda U launched in November, and Zelda NX launched in Summer '17 or later (with better gfx), I would likely buy both lol. And others might do the same. Which would maximize sales. On the otherside, having a Zelda at launch can make the NX more attractive during the holiday season. So both sides have benefits.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Tamaki is not a reliable source. If Trev's was ever found to be dishonest is one thing, but we know that Tamaki is not reliable and that's certain. Best to ignore him and his hissy fits.

For Nintendo-published titles in North America I'd disagree. There's already been releases of Fates and Yokai Watch so those are two rather large releases that are done. Let's go down Trev's list, shall we?:

3DS release list 2016 *Funded by Nintendo only*:

Spring-Early Summer

Mario and Sonic Rio 2016
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Disney Art Academy
Bravely Second
Code Name: “Caviar F” (all ages smaller budget game)
Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Summer
Code name: “Torte City” big budget unannounced game for all gamers core/all ages
Dragon Quest VII mid-June
Code name: “Cadillac” Rumour is that this is Style Savvy 3/New Style Boutique 2

Fall-Holiday
Code name: “N-Stars” big budget game for all ages
Code name: “DMW2” possibly Disney Magical World 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Pokémon 20th Anniversary game “Niji” (remember code names mean nothing, forget about the Rainbow, your gold is not there)

I cut out Nintendo Selects and the price cut as those aren't technically games. That's still a good amount of first party content from March-December. I'm not interested in every game either (I don't like Pokemon or Yokai Watch), but there should be something you like if you're into Japanese games here. Those two big budget code named games for example or the freaking Dragon Quest games or Bravely Second.

At the end of the day the 3DS is now a solid 5 years old, we weren't going to get another 2013 ever again. You're also ignoring third party releases, of which Sega has two.

Europe still has late releases Fire Emblem Fates and Yokai Watch to come, and Japan still has a good number of third-party games that may not make it overseas.

It's the Wii U lineup that is incredibly weak from Nintendo.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
So Tamaki says Sakamoto might have replaced Tanabe as Retro's assigned NCL Producer.

Sakamoto is a Department Manager / Section Producer so he wouldn't be one of the NCL producers traveling to the US to oversee a Retro game. NCL has a completely different crew for that. But any Metroid game developed now, will have Sakamoto as like a Senior or General Producer somewhere because of his promotion, but there will be a more on-board NCL producer working in Texas like Keisuke Terasaki or Hiroyuki Yamada.

You should see how he got permabanned from GAF. See him try to spin that racist shit.

Anyway, back to the topic of the 3DS, sorta. Do we expect backwards compatibility with the NX for the 3DS?
BC means dual screen support again. Not sure if they want to commit to that on the portable for the remainder of the NX life cycle.
On the console? Maybe via VC like with DS?

Where's the new Style Savvy for the Americas? :(
Confirmed to be one of the code names in the other thread
for me, I never doubted Zelda NX.
I doubted if it'd launch entremely close to Wii U Zelda.

But it appears it is now. So I'm likely getting NX Zelda and skipping the Wii U one unless something changes.

My thinking was that if Zelda U launched in November, and Zelda NX launched in Summer '17 or later (with better gfx), I would likely buy both lol. And others might do the same. Which would maximize sales. On the otherside, having a Zelda at launch can make the NX more attractive during the holiday season. So both sides have benefits.
Nintendo's launch window is pretty long, but I think if anything they'd delay the Wii U version to launch alongside the NX one

Surprise! It's kinda funny that Nintendo killed all last hope for the Wii U in 2015 to help the NX.
I don't know what's funny about it. It tells me that they want an impactful launch because it's their most important ever and like the Wii, it helps to have Zelda there. For all we know, this launch could be typically blah but throw in a huge name and people may overlook it.

Tripon

BC means dual screen support again. Not sure if they want to commit to that on the portable for the remainder of the NX life cycle.
On the console? Maybe via VC like with DS?
That's what I was thinking. The 2DS does something similar with one big screen being segmented by plastic.

I rather have VC and curse myself for going so heavy on physical this gen then another physical slot if it holds back on design or specs.

I don't know what's funny about it. It tells me that they want an impactful launch because it's their most important ever and like the Wii, it helps to have Zelda there. For all we know, this launch could be typically blah but throw in a huge name and people may overlook it.
Zelda is a big enough title to get attention from fans if the launch window looks promising.
Even if it means killing the Wii U early, I think moving all Wii U titles to NX (portable+console) would be the way to go.
Wii U has no future, NX still has a chance.

Nanashrew

Banned
Sakamoto is a Department Manager / Section Producer so he wouldn't be one of the NCL producers traveling to the US to oversee a Retro game. NCL has a completely different crew for that. But any Metroid game developed now, will have Sakamoto as like a Senior or General Producer somewhere because of his promotion, but there will be a more on-board NCL producer working in Texas like Keisuke Terasaki or Hiroyuki Yamada.

So his role is more like that of Miyamoto's and seeing his name as general producer on games?

Malus

News to me!

Context?

Tamaki is not a reliable source. If Trev's was ever found to be dishonest is one thing, but we know that Tamaki is not reliable and that's certain. Best to ignore him and his hissy fits.

Well we've currently got a rumor thread going about EA which is from Tamaki, and Trev heard some similar things about EA devkits and seemed to think of it as believable.

Well there goes Retro's streak of consistent quality and any chance of Metroid being good again.

Good thing Retro's working on a new 3D DK game.

jeenaudx

Banned
Tamaki did say in a podcast last year that Retro pitched a game to Nintendo that got aproved, maybe they pitched a metroid game, that would explain Sakamoto being involved in Retro's new game.

18-Volt

I wonder what the "Torte City" game could be.

I'd bet my money on Yokai Watch 2. They could rename the city it's set in to Torte city.

Other "big" game for fall is definitely Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3. Localization was teased in one of screens.

KingBroly

Banned
Tamaki did say in a podcast last year that Retro pitched a game to Nintendo that got aproved, maybe they pitched a metroid game, that would explain Sakamoto being involved in Retro's new game.

This whole thing is probably the thing he talked about last year but decided not to do so.

Pancake Mix

Well we've currently got a rumor thread going about EA which is from Tamaki, and Trev heard some similar things about EA devkits and seemed to think of it as believable.

Good thing Retro's working on a new 3D DK game.

That's fine. I'm not saying he doesn't have sources, just that he's not really reliable. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Trev's source is potentially much better.

Oh and a new 3D DK game from Retro would make me ecstatic.

Banned
When they go from game number 5 to game number 50, we can see if they maintained a consistent quality like Sakamoto has.
As a writer and director he's flopped since Metroid fusions success. That was 2002. If he wants to be a producer that's cool, keep him far away from any of the design choices or script writing though.

Pancake Mix

There are, where? I thought the big list was 3DS only.

You're right.

Mario and Sonic Rio 2016
Nintendo Selects Wave 1

Referring to the 3DS version and the fact that the Selects waves have 3DS titles. There are zero other Wii U titles on that list, that's a 3DS list only.

From another trevelyan video this looks like the Wii U release schedule (time stamped to relevant moment.)

Very Soon: Minecraft crossover?

March: Zelda: TPHD
Pokken Tournament

April: Star Fox Zero

Summer: Mario & Sonic Rio 2016

Rest of Q3/Q4:
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
Unannounced Wii U game (Paper Mario?)
Zelda Wii U

No more Wii U support other than the Selects it looks like, I declined to add those.

This wouldn't affect Mother 3 I suppose since neither list seems to show VC titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom