• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sonic retrospective thread of rose-tinted glasses

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so, like the Needlemouse thread before it, the Sonic 4 thread is quickly becoming a continual discussion of what games sucked, what games rocked, what games had great music, how much better Sonic was back in my da...hey, you kids! get off my lawn!
In order to keep the Sonic 4 thread actually based around that game, and any reveals on the site over the coming weeks, here is a separate thread for for us to reminisce about our favorite fallen hero.

As I was saying in the other thread, I just started relaying Sonics 1-3 in anticipation, and I was surprised at how much easier 2 seems now that I'm not twelve. 3&K is still as tough as ever though, heh.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Sonic 2 is king. Everything any other sonic game does that deviates from the standard set in 2 is shit. absolute shit. discuss...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I should replay Sonic 2 MS again soon. Still such a great game (and they even used Toot Toot Sonic Warrior as the theme for Green Hills Zone :D )

I'll say it since no one else will

Sonic 3D Blast was great

I'd spend more time and energy defending it but my passion would be lost on you all

Also, can we agree that Sonic R has the best soundtrack?

ElFly

Brobzoid said:
Sonic 2 is king. Everything any other sonic game does that deviates from the standard set in 2 is shit. absolute shit. discuss...

I never liked the spin dash / that other move in Sonic CD because they felt so unpolished compared to Sonic 2.

Also, Sonic 2's multiplayer is king. I wish it had all the stages available, though.

HamPster PamPster said:

Sonic 3D Blast was great

I'd spend more time and energy defending it but my passion would be lost on you all

Was fun but made me dizzy and sick

Lan_97

S3&K is epic. Friendship, betrayal, perseverance against impossible odds. So much adventure and fun that it couldn't fit into one cartridge.

Brobzoid said:
2 is a good game but it never ceases to amaze me how much people overrate it. I like Sonic the Hedgehog and S&K best.

Combichristoffersen

HamPster PamPster said:

Sadly, we can not agree.

And I don't know about the Saturn version of 3D Blast, but the MD version was.. not very good.

Lan_97

HamPster PamPster said:

Sonic 3D Blast was great

I liked 3D Blast. It also had an excellent soundtrack, and I mean the MegaDrive version.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I never even thought the originals were good. For the sake of teasing Sonic fans though, I'll at least give them a pass on the set of main Genesis games though (1-3, CD, S&K). Even with my personal opinion of them being very low, I can still tell they're good games compared to pretty much everything released afterward.

Brobzoid

ElFly said:
I never liked the spin dash / that other move in Sonic CD because they felt so unpolished compared to Sonic 2.

Also, Sonic 2's multiplayer is king. I wish it had all the stages available, though.

Yeah, CD's spin dash is trash. Didn't help that the sound design is dreadful and they changed the jumping sound either.

Combichristoffersen said:
I should replay Sonic 2 MS again soon. Still such a great game (and they even used Toot Toot Sonic Warrior as the theme for Green Hills Zone :D )
Sonic 2 MS is great. Dear I say better than any sonic game outside of 3&K and, obviously, 2 MD.

Combichristoffersen

Brobzoid said:
Yeah, CD's spin dash is trash. Didn't help that the sound design is dreadful and they changed the jumping sound either.

How does the Sonic CD spin dash differ from the one in Sonic 2? Haven't played either in quite a while.

I never had any problem with the sound design in Sonic CD. The jumbled level design, shitty bosses and clunky time travel mechanic annoyed me far more. At least the bonus stages were awesome.

MisterHero

This needs to be the "Sonic CD is the best Sonic game ever" thread

also, US soundtrack = superior version

If I had rose-tinted glasses, I'd be looking at all the same Sonic games just with a rose tint and Sonic CD still shines better!

Saturn version of 3D Blast had fantastic Sonic 2 style special stages built with polygons and high level (for the Saturn) graphics. Much better than the terrible Mega Drive special stages. It also had real music running off the CD some of it composed by Richard Jaques. Always a bonus, coming from someone with a Headhunter avatar.

To think, Sonic 3D and Sonic R were both made by Traveller's Tales who now make the LEGO *everything* games. I wonder if they would make a new LEGO Sonic game...

The Lego Star Wars 3 thread made me think of it

Brobzoid

How does the Sonic CD spin dash differ from the one in Sonic 2? Haven't played either in quite a while.

I never had any problem with the sound design in Sonic CD. The jumbled level design, shitty bosses and clunky time travel mechanic annoyed me far more. At least the bonus stages were awesome.
first of all the animation for charging the spin dash is just sonic rolling in place, no fancy little dust cloud. And to initiate it you have to press forward when releasing it I think. if you just release the d-pad, like in Sonic 2 you cancel the dash. :|

Combichristoffersen

HamPster PamPster said:
Question: Are the game gear sonic's (the first 2) and the master system sonics the same?

Yes. But the MS version of Sonic 2 is far easier. The GG version is horrendously hard due to the smaller screen.

Yes. But the MS version of Sonic 2 is far easier. The GG version is horrendously hard due to the smaller screen.

Are these (the master system versions) on the most recent sonic / genesis ps3/360 collection?

andymcc

Banned
MisterHero said:

If I had rose-tinted glasses, I'd be looking at all the same Sonic games just with a rose tint and Sonic CD still shines better!

the us soundtrack, while decent in spots, is in no way comparable to the japanese one.

just saying.

Sonic CD is my favorite game in the series, this is my best to worst of the sonic games.

-Sonic CD (Japanese preferably)
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic the Hedgehog 3
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2

i think sonic 2 is really overrated, i don't know if it stems from it being the first sonic game most people have played or if it's nostalgia.

It really is great stuff.

The bosses are far too easy and I still think the location of the Sky High Zone chaos emerald is ridiculous, but boy it does a lot of things right. Lots of different gameplay scenarios, varied locations, nice soundtrack, some of the best MS visuals and for the most part nicely balanced difficulty.

Whereas the first MS Sonic felt like a diluted version of the Genesis game, Sonic 2 for the MS stands on its own right. It feels fresh, daring and some of the game mechanics (particularly in Scrambled Egg and Gimmick Mt.) are really unique and fun.

andymcc

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
It really is great stuff.

The bosses are far too easy and I still think the location of the Sky High Zone chaos emerald is ridiculous, but boy it does a lot of things right. Lots of different gameplay scenarios, varied locations, nice soundtrack, some of the best MS visuals and for the most part nicely balanced difficulty.

Whereas the first MS Sonic felt like a diluted version of the Genesis game, Sonic 2 for the MS stands on its own right. It feels fresh, daring and some of the game mechanics (particularly in Scrambled Egg and Gimmick Mt.) are really unique and fun.

i think the first sonic master system game is worth playing just so you can hear bridge zone's music. :lol

MisterHero

andymcc said:
the us soundtrack, while decent in spots, is in no way comparable to the japanese one.

just saying.

Sonic CD is my favorite game in the series, this is my best to worst of the sonic games.

-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic the Hedgehog 3
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2

i think sonic 2 is really overrated, i don't know if it stems from it being the first sonic game most people have played or if it's nostalgia.
Impossible. Sonic Boom alone makes the soundtrack. Lack of that one song means it is not complete! It is not Sonic CD without Sonic Boom!

I agree that Sonic CD and Sonic 1 are the top 2 though

Combichristoffersen

andymcc said:
i think the first sonic master system game is worth playing just so you can hear bridge zone's music. :lol

The one that Janet Jackson 'supposedly' ripped off? :lol

As for listing fave games:

Sonic 1 16-bit = Sonic 2 16-bit
Sonic 2 8-bit
Sonic 1 8-bit
Sonic Chaos = Sonic 3&K
Sonic Triple Trouble
Tails Adventure
Sonic CD
Sonic Adventure

andymcc said:

Yeah, the soundtrack is probably the only thing the original MS Sonic has over Sonic 2.

2's soundtrack lacked the charm and sheer catchiness of the original's tunes. <3 Scrap Brain, Labyrinth Zone and Bridge Zone.

This is my theory.

Chemical Plant Zone is in Sonic 2
Chemical Plant Zone is some of the best game music ever.
Chemical Plant Zone is one of the coolest looking stages in the sonic games
Chemical Plant Zone is the first level i ever played of any game.
Chemical Plant Zone>All others

So Sonic 2 is the best.

All kidding aside, i have many memories of this series on the Genesis up through the Dreamcast, all quite good. The genesis trilogy rocked, and i still go through runs of all 3 every once in a while (i do count 3 and Knuckles as one game).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
MisterHero said:

This poster has the right idea

Sonic CD is king

the US soundtrack is great

if you disagree, you are wrong

andymcc

Banned
MisterHero said:
Impossible. Sonic Boom alone makes the soundtrack. Lack of that one song means it is not complete! It is not Sonic CD without Sonic Boom!

I agree that Sonic CD and Sonic 1 are the top 2 though

let me tell you a little story. when i was 9, a few months after Sonic CD came out, i received the sonic cd us soundtrack with my toys r us pre order of sonic 3. sometime during my fourth grade year, we took music of our choice into class for music class and had to explain why we liked it. i brought it in the sonic cd usa soundtrack and played sonic boom, and i'm pretty sure what happened after that was the point in which i stopped talking about video games openly to people i didn't know. :lol

Combichristoffersen

andymcc said:
let me tell you a little story. when i was 9, a few months after Sonic CD came out, i received the sonic cd us soundtrack with my toys r us pre order of sonic 3. sometime during my fourth grade year, we took music of our choice into class for music class and had to explain why we liked it. i brought it in the sonic cd usa soundtrack and played sonic boom, and i'm pretty sure what happened after that was the point in which i stopped talking about video games openly to people i didn't know. :lol

Too bad for them, Sonic Boom is made of the finest awesome.

Jon

Alright, I'll come out and say that I thoroughly enjoyed Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast. Maybe I was just so enthralled with the Dreamcast in general that the game isn't truly as good as I remember, but whatever.

As for the original Sonics, I'd say that Sonic 2 is definitely the best. However, out of all the Sonic games, I say I probably dumped the most time into Sonic Spinball. Seriously. Now that game was awesome.

Combichristoffersen

Jon said:
Alright, I'll come out and say that I thoroughly enjoyed Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast. Maybe I was just so enthralled with the Dreamcast in general that the game isn't truly as good as I remember, but whatever.

Sonic Adventure was a good game back in the day, and to a certain extent it still is a good game, even though it hasn't aged all that well.

OMG Aero

MisterHero said:

It really isn't.
Having played the game for the first time a month ago and being free of nostalgia for it, it's an alright game but Sonic 2 and 3&Knuckles are massively better than it.

The spin dash is terrible in it, meaning that in order to do a proper spin dash you have to do the new peel out move and then press down as soon as you start moving which is stupid and the level design is all over the place. At times it felt like I was playing levels made by fans in a shitty level editor.

MisterHero

OMG Aero said:
It really isn't.
Having played the game for the first time a month ago and being free of nostalgia for it, it's an alright game but Sonic 2 and 3&Knuckles are massively better than it.

The spin dash is terrible in it, meaning that in order to do a proper spin dash you have to do the new peel out move and then press down as soon as you start moving which is stupid.
Also, the level design is all over the place. At times it felt like I was playing levels made by fans in a shitty level editor.
Obviously you cannot comprehend playing 4th-Dimensionally, Marty

Sure it doesn't have more friends or powers than 2/3/Knuckles but I liked Sonic 1's gameplay anyways

I have to admit though, Sonic & Knuckles had a badass logo

2e3skdc.png

I played 1 - 3/K on the Megadrive Collection last year and found myself really enjoying them. I was never good enough to complete them as a kid, so it was nice to do that. Fuck the last boss of 2, though - fuck it in the ass. I needed a save state for that.

2 was always my favourite, but now I have to say 3/K stands out as the best in pretty much every way.

I still maintain they are the only good Sonic titles though. Sonic Adventure was one of the biggest disappointments ever for me.

andymcc said:

just saying.

-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic the Hedgehog 3
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2

This is identical to mine, although Sonic 2 and 3 are about equal for me.

I agree that Sonic 2 is pretty overrated. But only because of the level design. It pales in comparison to the rest of the series, I think. But the graphics, music, 2-player mode, all that stuff makes up for it.

They're all pretty close for me though. Not a loser in the bunch.

The only other Sonic game I have ever 'enjoyed' was the very first Sonic Adventure. But only because of the WOW factor at the time. I can't play it anymore.

S3&K is the ultimate 16-bit experience

I am in the Sonic CD is over-rated camp

I played Sonic CD after playing 1,2,3&K and I find the levels in CD to be too abstract and all over the place

Top Bottom