• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tail's Adventures! - Patrolling the Skies and Riding Across the Sea

RK128

88800-Tails_Adventures_(Japan,_USA)_(En,Ja)-3.jpg
latest

The last classic era games I am going to cover star our favorite two tailed fox, Miles 'Tails' Prower!

090cded220c5b41a5b656a966d193361.jpg

These two games are quite different from one another but both offer a lot of fun in different ways :). They are oddballs in the Sonic series, as they play nothing like the normal sonic game.....but that is okay as these two games do what they set out to do, well, right.

Lets fly in the sky with Tails Sky Patrol!

- - - - - - - - - -
Flying in the Sky, Holding Rings in my Hand.....

tails_sky_patrol_gg.jpg

Tails's home is attacked by Wendy Witchcart and her animal underlings so its up to Tails and his special ring to fly through the levels, defeat the underlings and defeat the witch! Odd set up but Sonic has had some odd settings in the past. He DID hop into the Middle-Ages swinging swords in the future after all......

latest

You have the following to deal with; a flight meter that controls how long Tails can be up in the air in addition to a live counter under the flight bar. Tails can fly forward by pushing right and you can use your ring to attack foes and destroy objects in the levels.

The Ring is quite useful, as you can orbit it around you by holding a button, letting it go at the right time. Gives you a feeling of control and it makes aiming a bit easier. Tails also has a few power ups/items to keep in mind; you can collect candy to increase your flight bar, collect gems to increase your score and even find a shield that makes you impervious to damage/wall contact for a little while.

tumblr_m7o4nkRtrM1rw6ae7o1_400.png

There are a few ways to ensure the flight meter lasts a long while, as if it goes out, you lose a life:
-Do not bump into walls
-Control how much you push right
-Fly into polls, launchers, mine carts and other objects to get through sections with minimal flight
-Bump into balloons that can help you fly while using less flight meter

So with the mechanics out of the way, how does it all come together?

latest

It leads into a fun shooting/flying game :). Many of the levels are focused on pushing you forward (as everything auto-scrolls right) with you facing foes, walls and other objects. Attacking foes with the ring feels natural and the boss fights with the different underlings and the final fight with the witch is quite fun.

The music for this game is solid too, with a lot of the tracks being really relaxing to be quite honest :D.
Training Area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFw3p8yJvQ&index=4&list=PL59A7A9CE44C8D933
Rail Canyon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2SKQze85Yg&list=PL59A7A9CE44C8D933&index=5
Ruin Wood Area Act 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uWXTIa2Bjo&index=7&list=PL59A7A9CE44C8D933
Ruin Wood Area Act 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NsaubOwP9Y&index=8&list=PL59A7A9CE44C8D933
Metal Island Area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im_L3btUpms&list=PL59A7A9CE44C8D933&index=10
Dark Castle Area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXqmC8rPwI0&list=PL59A7A9CE44C8D933&index=12
Wendy Witchcart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUlb0-6dBpk&index=13&list=PL59A7A9CE44C8D933

Overall, this is a nice little spin off that flies (*cough*) by quite fast. If you have access to the Sonic Gems Collection, give this one a shot :). Never released outside of Japan, so its nice that we got to play it at all!

tails-skypatrol-2.png

- - - - - - - - - - -
The Fox vs. the Birds

Tails%20Adventures%20-%20Sea%20Fox.png

This game is a 2D action title like past Sonic's.....but done in a different way; its a Metroidvannia! One must ask, how the heck does a genre like that mesh with Sonic, a series known for speed-based platforming?!

Well, keep on reading to find out :D!

Tails%20Adventure%201.jpg

Tails Adventures is either a prequel to Sonic 2 (JP) or takes place sometime after Sonic 3&K (US/EU) depending on the region, but the general story is that Tails is relaxing on an island but birds start attacking it! Chaos Emeralds are on the island and they want to collect them all. Tails flies into action with bombs on his side to get the emeralds, stop the bird armies and save the day.

battlekuku.png

So, how does the game play? Its controls are quite simple; D-Pad is to move left/right or look up/down, one button to jump and one button to use your item of choice. You can select one of four equipped items by pressing start and moving left/right to find the one you want to use.

Wait, why does Tails use items? Can't he just jump into them like past games. .....That is a good point, but he has different attacks based on what items you find in the levels.

medium_3_screenshot.png

Tails has the following items he can use as explores through the world:
-Bomb: Standard explosive that blows up in peoples faces.
-Remote Bomb: Remote Bomb that explodes when you press the button again; can squeeze through tight gaps.
-Hammer: Can equip a hammer for short-ranged attacks.
-Mini-Robot: A little Tails Robot that can explore the level through flying and jumping. You can walk over spikes as the robot, fly in the sky and currents/lava has no effect.
-Sonic, Knuckles, Nack Metals: Each gives you a new attack once you find them (Knuckles = Punching, Sonic = Ground/Air Spindash, ect)
-Radio: Can change the level's track to something else

The game has a lot of items, thanks to its open level design and you will be revisiting levels frequently with the new items you get as you explore each level. The chaos emeralds are in each main level and they increase your health by 10 Rings and make your fight last longer.

3DSVC_TailsAdventure_05.jpg

Tails also has one cool ride; the Sea Fox!

latest

This underwater mech is not new; we saw it in Sonic Triple Trouble/Sonic & Tails 2 and similar to that game, Tails can get around underwater with little issue. You can drill through blocks and you have a little cannon that can attack foes underwater.

The funny thing is that the Sea Fox appears in a number of other games, even appearing on Sonic Boom 3DS as a tool Tails can use to collect blue prints.

latest

Sonic Boom 3DS was inspired by this game, so will be marking comparisons to this game when I get to Boom 3DS.

And like the item system, you can collect different items that increase how powerful the Sea Fox becomes. It also, like the other items, opens doors to new items to collect and thus makes simple underwater sections feel a bit maze-like at points.

The soundtrack to Tails Adventure is solid, and fits the more laid-back tone this game has (gameplay-wise at least):
Lake Rocky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APzD60WlenI&index=7&list=PLv1tYJbe3vGOIHvF-4gD2HnYN35Zom-77
Polly Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_VD4VvnTI&list=PLv1tYJbe3vGOIHvF-4gD2HnYN35Zom-77&index=10
Tails House (This sounds so much like the Pokemon Centers in the Pokemon games for some reason to me XD!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hI5i6auPp8&list=PLv1tYJbe3vGOIHvF-4gD2HnYN35Zom-77&index=13
Volcanic Tunnel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIDTBE3qg6Y&index=15&list=PLv1tYJbe3vGOIHvF-4gD2HnYN35Zom-77
Caron Forest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O-WvLuEUtU&list=PLv1tYJbe3vGOIHvF-4gD2HnYN35Zom-77&index=1
Final Boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxaEFiA74Fw&index=5&list=PLv1tYJbe3vGOIHvF-4gD2HnYN35Zom-77

It sounds great like most Sonic OST's and like Sonic 1/2 GG and the Sonic & Tails games, they push the GG sound chip to its limits :D.

So with this game shifting game genre's completely, does it complement the Sonic series? I think its an enjoyable game. While it sadly didn't grab me completely, I did enjoy my time with the game and it was rewarding hunting around for everything.

- - - - - - - -
The Fox's Adventures

Both of these games are examples of fun little spin-offs done right; they mix up the core gameplay people love about the main series but does its own thing with polish, care and a lot of thought. I enjoyed both games and while they are not perfect (the level design for Tails' Adventure is tricky to understand at times), they do good in representing the Sonic series :).

If you want to give it spin, head over to the E-Shop on your NA or EU 3DS! Its up on that store-front for 4.99 (in NA) :D.

We will see you soon for sure buddy......with quite a Jam :D!

- - - - - - - - -

This is the final set of games for the Classic era, so to cap-off this Gold Age for the Blue Blur, we are going to have one Jam of a party next week using one of the best compilations of Sonic as an excuse to celebrate everything about this era of Sonic.

Covering three TV shows, the Sonic OVA, Lost games like Xtreme and SegaSonic the Hedgehog, JP/EU/NA commercials, fan games/fan hacks and more!

Like my Sonic Unleashed thread, this upcoming one will be divided into 'parts' to cover as much as I can.

See you next time with one of the best collections for Sonic, SONIC JAM!

Sonic_Jam_cover_art.jpg

RK128

Tails Adventures is on 3DS eshop right? Might go pick it up. Always wanted to give that game a shot.

.....That is a really good question. Going to check that now.

Edit: And yes it is for NA and EU 3DS owners :D! Going to edit that to the OP now :).

Yeah, I have Tails' Adventure on 3DS, that game is still a lot of fun, cool to see that you had fun with it. I didn't know if someone coming to it fresh would have the same experience.

Never played Sky Patrol though, maybe I should

Nanashrew

Banned
I remember playing these in Sonic Gems Collection on Gamecube. I enjoyed Tails Adventure a whole lot with the exploration and puzzle solving.

RK128

Yeah, I have Tails' Adventure on 3DS, that game is still a lot of fun, cool to see that you had fun with it. I didn't know if someone coming to it fresh would have the same experience.

Never played Sky Patrol though, maybe I should

I try to have an open mind to most games :). The lack of a map did annoy me a bit, but I still had a good deal of fun :D.

RK128

I remember playing these in Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube. I enjoyed Tails Adventure a whole lot with the exploration and puzzle solving.

I don't remember playing these with the Mega Collection disk......maybe you mean the Gems Collection? That had both of these games (along with Sonic 2 GG, GG port of Spinball, Sonic CD, Sonic the Fighters and a few more games).

Used Gems Collection to play these two games :D.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't remember playing these with the Mega Collection disk......maybe you mean the Gems Collection? That had both of these games (along with Sonic 2 GG, GG port of Spinball, Sonic CD, Sonic the Fighters and a few more games).

Used Gems Collection to play these two games :D.

You caught me before my edit! But yeah, that's the one.

RK128

Wait what? I had that game and I don't remember this being on it.

It was one of the Game Gear games in that collection. Sonic Gems had the following:
-Sonic R
-Sonic CD
-Sonic the Fighters
-Sonic 2 (GG)
-Sonic Spinball (GG)
-Sonic Drift 2
-Sonic Triple Trouble
-Tails Sky Patrol
-Tails Adventures
-Vectorman
-Vectorman 2
-Streets of Rage Series (JP Only)

It was one of the Game Gear games in that collection. Sonic Gems had the following:
-Sonic R
-Sonic CD
-Sonic the Fighters
-Sonic 2 (GG)
-Sonic Spinball (GG)
-Sonic Drift 2
-Sonic Triple Trouble
-Tails Sky Patrol
-Tails Adventures

-Vectorman
-Vectorman 2
-Streets of Rage Series
(JP Only)

Seriously? I remember all of the following except the bolded being on there. I explicitly remember wanting to play this very game and thinking it was on it and being dissappointed when I couldn't find it.

RK128

Seriously? I remmeber all of the following except the bolded being on there. I explicity rememebr wanting to play this very game and thinking it was on it and being dissappointed when I couldn't find it.

Mmm......I don't know what to say honestly :(.

I know for sure that the GameCube and PS2 versions have both of these games on it.

RK128

Just a heads up for those wanting to give both of these games a shot, you have a few ways to get them :).

The NA and EU E-Shop has Tails Adventures for 4.99 but you can also play that game through Gems Collection on PS2 (EU)/GC (NA) and Sonic Adventure DX (when you collect all the Emblems)

Sky Patrol is a rare game, as it never released in America. Like Adventures, it is on both Sonic Adventure DX and Gems Collection, but unlike Adventures it isn't on the Nintendo E-Shop.

Hope this helps for those wanting to give these fun games a shot :).

MrBadger

People who think Eggman is a dumb name don't know shit about Wendy Witchcart

Also I've always wanted to properly try Tails Adventures. It looks pretty cool

RK128

People who think Eggman is a dumb name don't know shit about Wendy Witchcart

Also I've always wanted to properly try Tails Adventures. It looks pretty cool

You can play Adventures through the 3DS E-Shop :D! Give it a shot on the 3DS if you have the time :). Some of the screen shots I found online are from the 3DS version and it looks really clean (compared to how blurred it looked in Gems Collection).

RK128

The blue wolf/sonic hybrid on the boxart for skypatrol is freaking me out.

*Looks at Box Art again*

Not seeing it, but I'm sorry you are freaked out though :(.

Whoa, I totally forgot about this game! Thanks for the nostalgia trip/reminder!

No problem :D!

These are some of the more forgotten games in the Sonic series (same with Chaotix) so I'm happy to shine some light on a few Game Gear classics :).

Tizoc

Woah, so those villains were in the game to begin with huh?
F99hoGd.jpg

Should def. play the Tails series someday :p

RK128

Woah, so those villains were in the game to begin with huh?
F99hoGd.jpg

Should def. play the Tails series someday :p

You know what, I shouldn't be surprised to see those guys in the Archie Comics XD! They really pull from everything :').

Tizoc

You know what, I shouldn't be surprised to see those guys in the Archie Comics XD! They really pull from everything :').

ZNnj3ZM.jpg

Heck, Bean, Jet & co. and the villains of this game are all part of the same group/civilization in the comics :p

RK128

ZNnj3ZM.jpg

Heck, Bean, Jet & co. and the villains of this game are all part of the same group/civilization in the comics :p

I looked through one of the comic arcs with Amy/Blaze/Cream teaming up and was surprised to learn that Bean & Jet were related XD!

Flyn does a great job using everything in the Sonic series in ways no one would expect.

The entire Champions Arc is amazing due to so much being thrown at you.
Adapting Unleashed & Fighters, having references to Heroes/Riders/Sonic 3, and Sonic even having the car from Racing Transformed XD!

Sakujou

Banned
wow super baffled as i have never heard of a tails only game. as a kid i wished to only play with tails but i forgot this when sega mega drive died off and most german shops never carried the sega saturn.

might give it a try.

RK128

wow super baffled as i have never heard of a tails only game. as a kid i wished to only play with tails but i forgot this when sega mega drive died off and most german shops never carried the sega saturn.

might give it a try.

Unlike most of the Sonic Game Gear games, these two games were never ported to the Master System (same with Sonic & Tails 2/Triple Trouble), so I understand if you missed out on them back then.

You can play both via Sonic Adventure DX or Gems Collection. Tails Adventure can be found on the EU and NA 3DS E-Shop :).

Ferr986

Never played Sky Patrol but I had Tails Adventure on my Game Gear and the game was legit. Surprised me how good it was (it though it was going to be a meh spinoff like Labyrinth).

Wouldn't have mind a Tails Adventure 2 on the Mega Drive.

RK128

Never played Sky Patrol but I had Tails Adventure on my Game Gear and the game was legit. Surprised me how good it was (it though it was going to be a meh spinoff like Labyrinth).

Wouldn't have mind a Tails Adventure 2 on the Mega Drive.

Maybe they would of done that but I guess with alot of Sega Staff migrating over to the Saturn and 32X, they didn't have enough time to make a sequel game.

They also worked on Labyrinth and Sonic Blast after this (not sure about that though.....), so that could be why we never got a Tails Adventure 2.

Sonic Boom 3DS was inspired by this game for its core level design in some respects, so when I get to that, will dive into with detail. But give the Boom 3DS demo a shot if you have a 3DS/have the time :).

Ferr986

Maybe they would of done that but I guess with alot of Sega Staff migrating over to the Saturn and 32X, they didn't have enough time to make a sequel game.

They also worked on Labyrinth and Sonic Blast after this (not sure about that though.....), so that could be why we never got a Tails Adventure 2.

Sonic Boom 3DS was inspired by this game for its core level design in some respects, so when I get to that, will dive into with detail. But give the Boom 3DS demo a shot if you have a 3DS/have the time :).

Yeah Boom was done by Aspect too. Quite a jump of quality I would say lol

I don't have a 3DS so no chance to try Boom :(

RK128

Yeah Boom was done by Aspect too. Quite a jump of quality I would say lol

I don't have a 3DS so no chance to try Boom :(

Really O_O!? I thought Sanzaru Games did all the work for Boom......really great discovery :D! Thank you for bringing it up :).

I'm sorry you can't play it :(. Maybe if you have some spare money, you could get a used 2DS or something and play it yourself. Those are not that pricey (got mine for under 100 bucks vs. the 200 bucks you pay for other 3DS Models).

Edit: Ah, I understand your post now. Thank you for the clarification :).

Maedhros

I fucking HATE Bean. Everytime I'm reading the comics and he shows up... I know that I'll stop reading the page he appears at least 10 times.

Ferr986

Really O_O!? I thought Sanzaru Games did all the work for Boom......really great discovery :D! Thank you for bringing it up :).

I'm sorry you can't play it :(. Maybe if you have some spare money, you could get a used 2DS or something and play it yourself. Those are not that pricey (got mine for under 100 bucks vs. the 200 bucks you pay for other 3DS Models).

Sorry I meant Blast lol you said you wasn't sure about Blast being by the same team and it was infact Aspect.

Sorry for the confusion, that's what happens when you shouldn't check GAF because you're busy but still do it....

Sanzaru was indeed Boom

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This game is so great. I still have the GG cart. Never managed to beat it, but played countless hours anyway.

Top Bottom