• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noitu Love: Devolution coming to Wii U and 3DS eShop (Q1 2016)

konjak

Do you plan to release Legend of Princess on Steam ? Either for free or for a cheap price ?

I think that game barely can pretend not to literally be a Zelda game, though, hah. Some of the music is pretty much the same notes. So that's not being planned. And I always intended it to just be one fangame level, unless it some magical day was officially sanctioned or licensed.

TheMoon

It's really thanks to MP2Games (aka Mathias) that NL:Devolution and other good games made in Clickteam Fusion like Freedom Plant, Heart Forth Alicia etc are now able to be ported to consoles.

Basically, a framework called "Chowdren" is used to convert and run Fusion games as native C++ code, which improves the performance and takes drastically less time/money than remaking the whole game by hand.

Pretty impressive if you ask me!

Oooh, MP2 did Freedom Planet as well? Still gotta get that one!

There's a bunch of really cool porthouses that popped up recently between Engine Software (Proun+ on 3DS, Gunslugs 2 on 3DS, Terraria on Wii U), MP2 (Heart Forth Alicia , A.N.N.E., Freedom Planet and this now on Wii U [and 3DS with the latter]) and Broken Rules paying their bills as a Wii U porthouse between original projects too. Not to mention the amazing multiplatform console support that Curve Studios brought. Cool stuff going on.

gelf

This game is great and in my top 5 of all the indie sidescrollers on Steam. Highly recommend it to any WiiU owners.

TheMoon

I think that game barely can pretend not to literally be a Zelda game, though, hah. Some of the music is pretty much the same notes. So that's not being planned. And I always intended it to just be one fangame level, unless it some magical day was officially sanctioned or licensed.

While you're here, is it safe to assume you're going for a simultaneous release in PAL regions too now with IARC taking care of ratings? Since the trailer only uses the ESRB logo.

konjak

While you're here, is it safe to assume you're going for a simultaneous release in PAL regions too now with IARC taking care of ratings? Since the trailer only uses the ESRB logo.

That's the goal. It seems like the fastest process would be NoA at the moment, but so far it looks on track.

Sciz

As long as we're talking about your older games, I know you scrapped a Chalk sequel a while back, but I'd still love to see the concept make its way to a touch device sometime.

Platy

Reason 783 why Nintendo should make an oficial Zelda theme gamejam and release the best games on wiiu/3ds

Thanks guys! Yeah, the 2 is removed because the first game is kind of irrelevant, and not very playable for people anymore, anyway. And there was going to be a more timely WiiWare port that fell through in ugly ways, which made me not very trusting.
Any word on updating the PC version of Noitu Love: Devolution for convenience features (like running it in a dedicated window + volume control) with another outside developer or is that still up in the air due to being busy with Iconoclasts and now the Wii U / 3DS port?

konjak

As long as we're talking about your older games, I know you scrapped a Chalk sequel a while back, but I'd still love to see the concept make its way to a touch device sometime.

That'd be nice, but it'd have to be a new game at this point in my opinion. The 2007 game lacks a fair bit of polish, and the HD one is just two levels. Thanks for interest!

Any plans to release the Chowdren version on PC (for better compatibility, also maybe for linux and mac versions as well)?

Any word on updating the PC version of Noitu Love: Devolution for convenience features (like running it in a dedicated window + volume control) with another outside developer or is that still up in the air due to being busy with Iconoclasts and now the Wii U / 3DS port?

I would probably like to update the original game to see if I can make it run better in some ways, but I'd have to buy Clickteam's latest program, and even then I haven't researched if they added those things for easier control of window, etc. Sorry about the inconveniences there...

At least for now, our agreement is to put the ported version on non-computer platforms.

jman2050

One of the better action games I've played that doesn't get enough attention, hopefully these ports are successful.

This game is the classic case of "before its time."

It was a well crafted indie game that was released before the indie market was big enough to accommodate it.

The only other indie game I can think that is as under-rated as this one is Aces Wild.
YES I love both games, and have had them on Steam for ages.

I know it's a little off topic, but if you like brawlers and Bangai-O style games def pick up Aces Wild.

Crub

I would probably like to update the original game to see if I can make it run better in some ways, but I'd have to buy Clickteam's latest program, and even then I haven't researched if they added those things for easier control of window, etc. Sorry about the inconveniences there...

At least for now, our agreement is to put the ported version on non-computer platforms.
Good controller support and full-screen solutions and I'd gladly pay for it!

Out of curiosity: how difficult are PC-to-PC ports using Chowdren?

M3d10n

It's really thanks to MP2Games (aka Mathias) that NL:Devolution and other good games made in Clickteam Fusion like Freedom Plant, Heart Forth Alicia etc are now able to be ported to consoles.

Basically, a framework called "Chowdren" is used to convert and run Fusion games as native C++ code, which improves the performance and takes drastically less time/money than remaking the whole game by hand.

Didn't know about that! Fantastic news, there's a bunch of hidden gems made with Fusion that could use console ports.

Sciz

That'd be nice, but it'd have to be a new game at this point in my opinion. The 2007 game lacks a fair bit of polish, and the HD one is just two levels. Thanks for interest!

Oh hey, you just released Luxe Chalk to the public last month! I had no idea.

And it's just as creative and even prettier, too. Any particular reason why it didn't pan out?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This looks awesome! Will it support pointer controls tho? From the trailer it seemed like you used a keyboard+mouse aim combo on pc?

konjak

Oh hey, you just released Luxe Chalk to the public last month! I had no idea.

And it's just as creative and even prettier, too. Any particular reason why it didn't pan out?

I probably had a hard time with motivation on such a direct sequel. If you ever saw Noitu Love 1, it's not very much like 2

This looks awesome! Will it support pointer controls tho? From the trailer it seemed like you used a keyboard+mouse aim combo on pc?

Yeah, pointer controls or gamepad touch is the aim for Wii U!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Oh shit if you actually manage to implement pointer controls in, similar to GeoWars Galaxies or Sin&Puni2, then this is gonna be 100% mine on day zero :D
...assuming it does come out in EU in a timely fashion and not after months of the NA release ;)

Sciz

I probably had a hard time with motivation on such a direct sequel. If you ever saw Noitu Love 1, it's not very much like 2

Eh, fair enough. I actually did play NL1 back in the day, at least up until the highest difficulty when the enemies got a bit too damage spongey, so I get what you mean.

Mechazawa

This is a fucking rad game and does tons of cool shit with mouse functionality.

Noitu Love is Evolution backwards also Phoenix Down.

Alright. Was merely curious and it hadn't bothered me too much up since its release, so don't sweat it!

roknin

Ooh I remember seeing this long ago and thinking it'd be perfect for to play on my Wii U. Good to hear the wait won't be long now!

Ah nice, shoutouts to MP2Games for this then! <3

@MUWANdo

Banned
Also want to add that Wii U supports gamepad touchscreen for your input!

Cool! How does it work? It's set up so you can use the stylus on the gamepad screen while looking at the action on the TV, right? The recent Kirby game took a lot of flak for basically requiring you to stare at the gamepad the entire time.

konjak

Hm, unfortunately, that hasn't been the implementation so far, and we're short on time. But it's not a game where you "draw", so I'm really hoping the Wiimote function is well suited to you. Sorry about that.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hm, unfortunately, that hasn't been the implementation so far, and we're short on time. But it's not a game where you "draw", so I'm really hoping the Wiimote function is well suited to you. Sorry about that.

Yeah, I'm fine with Wiimote controls, so no worries there.

Games like Kid Icarus or Metroid Prime Hunters on 3/DS are examples of what I mean--everything takes place on the top screen and your eyes are on the top screen the entire time but you're contolling the reticle with the stylus on the bottom screen, in pretty much the same way as you'd use a mouse. On 3DS especially, it's a pain to have to touch or hold your hand over the screen you're looking at, y'know?

konjak

Yeah, I'm fine with Wiimote controls, so no worries there.

Games like Kid Icarus or Metroid Prime Hunters on 3/DS are examples of what I mean--everything takes place on the top screen and your eyes are on the top screen the entire time but you're contolling the reticle with the stylus on the bottom screen, in pretty much the same way as you'd use a mouse. On 3DS especially, it's a pain to have to touch or hold your hand over the screen you're looking at, y'know?

Ironically, 3DS version will have that as an option. But there are additional assets and tutorials for each mode so it probably won't appear on Wii U right now...

Memory

Ironically, 3DS version will have that as an option. But there are additional assets and tutorials for each mode so it probably won't appear on Wii U right now...

Didn't realize this was also heading to 3DS, now i'm torn of which version to get lol. Does the Wii U version have multi-player or features not on the 3DS?

I just heard of this game because the main character is a secret character in the Renegade Kid eShop game, Mutant Mudds Super Challenge.

I've always wanted to play this game and can't wait for it to release. I'm in for the Wii U and 3DS versions.

I didn't know that the designer also made Legend of Princess. I always wished that it could become a full game some day.

This is coming at the end of the week. The trailer really caught my eyes, is the original game good? I was reading that it's short, but maybe there replay value is good? Can anyone comment? I wanna get this but I don't if it'll be worth it at $10 if I can beat it in about an hour.

bobawesome

Looks cool. Unfortunately, I'll never remember it and it'll be impossible to find shortly after launch, drowned out in a sea of mediocrity, shovelware and Nintendo's shameless self-promotion that is the eShop.

Glass Rebel

This is coming at the end of the week. The trailer really caught my eyes, is the original game good? I was reading that it's short, but maybe there replay value is good? Can anyone comment? I wanna get this but I don't if it'll be worth it at $10 if I can beat it in about an hour.

It's sort of a tribute to Treasure games, Gunstar Heroes in particular, both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics still very unique. There's three playable characters and I think replays at higher difficulties are absolutely worth it. I personally think it's one of the best indie games I've ever played (back when it was released for free on PC) and depending on how good the ports are, it should be absolutely worth the pricepoint.

Awesome! I'm in for something short but replayable. I love speedrunning and score attacking after I beat games so this sounds perfectly tailored to that. Hopefully the ports are good, I can't imagine them not being quality though but we'll see!

Top Bottom