• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 6 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i cant tell what it is, but some of their lines are delivered so flatly, and their only emotion is "mean girl"

Well that plays into their characterizations. You don't buy their motivations because they're so beanpole that you don't buy the characters. Their constant mean mugging just feels like some super-contrived appeal to feminism or something similar.

We could either grab an extra and do the scene in 40 seconds, or we can spend hundreds of thousands on CGI or hours upon hours of makeup and prosthetics work for a 15 second shot.

c'mon son.
Her face looked pretty similar to the actress, though.

Remember that they went out of their way to CGI a body double on Cersei last season during the shame walk.

roytheone

The episode was decent I guess. No big start, but more setting up and checking in with (almost) all the players. That's fine with me as long as it doesn't take too long for stuff to pop off. If we get 2 more episode of this, that would be problematic.

And yeah, the sand snake stuff was handled poorly. They didn't show how the two managed to get on board of the boat, and I was confused for a bit when that scene happened. That could have used some more explanation. Also, the ruler of Dorne being hated by his people was very unclear, and could have used some more set up in last season. I still think they are going directly against the will of Oberyn, and are just lying to themselves that what they are doing would be what he would have wanted in order to justify their actions.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Well that plays into their characterizations. You don't buy their motivations because they're so beanpole that you don't buy the characters. Their constant mean mugging just feels like some super-contrived appeal to feminism or something similar.
I think the main problem is that lame fight in the last season that just completely failed to sell them as deadly skilled warriors. If that had been Bronn's first fight on screen it would be hard to take his bravado seriously either, even though he is a much better actor.

Kurrman

Neo Member
I thought it was a pretty decent start to the season. There is only ONE thing that my friend and I nitpicked from it. Since this is the first season that does not have a book attached to it, it felt like the dialogue was... simple. George R.R. Martin can craft some pretty complex dialogue, but without any source material they had to make it up and you could tell. I kind of cringe at the Dothraki in particular. Anyone else feel this way?

Katori

I liked the episode, but yeah the Dorne stuff bothered me...especially the two Sand Snakes showing up on Trystane's boat.

The end reveal has kind of stuck with me. I'm not a book reader but I'd be curious to see if that gets used in the future.

Since this is the first season that does not have a book attached to it, it felt like the dialogue was... simple. George R.R. Martin can craft some pretty complex dialogue, but without any source material they had to make it up and you could tell. I kind of cringe at the Dothraki in particular. Anyone else feel this way?
I agree, the Dothraki did not seem consistent with their earlier portrayal at all. But I get that they may just be a different Khalasar with a slightly different culture.

I thought it was a pretty decent start to the season. There is only ONE thing that my friend and I nitpicked from it. Since this is the first season that does not have a book attached to it, it felt like the dialogue was... simple. George R.R. Martin can craft some pretty complex dialogue, but without any source material they had to make it up and you could tell. I kind of cringe at the Dothraki in particular. Anyone else feel this way?

Yes.

We could either grab an extra and do the scene in 40 seconds, or we can spend hundreds of thousands on CGI or hours upon hours of makeup and prosthetics work for a 15 second shot.

c'mon son.
Idk. They did the CGI thing for the Cersei nude walk. And who wants to be known as the old, saggy Meli for the rest of her life? It looked kinda CG to me.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

c'mon son.

Her face/head was Makeup'd Catrice, the body was an 80 year old Irish woman.

To create an ancient version of The Red Woman, the Thrones team took a cue from making last season’s Walk of Shame sequence, where special effects were used to combine a nude body double with actress Lena Headey. In this case, van Houten wore prosthetic makeup for her face and hair, while her body was performed by an older woman.

There's almost no good news at all this episode. Lol.

I think we're in need of a thread rename:

Game of Thrones IOTI Season 6 - ...and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Curufinwe

They've been making up dialogue since the first episode of the first season.

The belligerence and arrogance of the Night's Watch has been building and building and it's just getting stupid.

You would think Hardhome would be the last straw and they can't deny the truth and nothing is more important than saving everyone from the walkers.

No, because letting wildlings through the gate who agree not to kill us is going to destroy EVERYTHING!

Holding on to some principle like that is just going too far to be believable now.

Decent opener. We weren't going to get anything super important yet. They have set us up fine. I can't see Dorne being important though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If your whole takeaway from this episode was just Jon laying on a table and Mel showing her true self then I'm sorry the show is about more than two people.

I wanted to see what was happening with Sansa because I'm also interested in Theon. I wanted to see Brienne and Pod because newsflash, I and many others that I know like Brienne and Pod. Now their story is intertwined with Sansa and Theon's and I'm very interested to see what happens in the North with all of them and the Boltons. This stuff was important to see. I'm not actually understanding your criticism? That they didn't revive Jon in the first 20 minutes?

If Jon gets revived at all that's going to be a mid-late season thing. It's going to be a ritual most likely or something of the like and I'm sorry but you're not going to get a whole season of Jon rampaging those who did him wrong. Was it a mistake to leave that as the cliffhanger and then basically all but confirm he's alive so that everyone is impatient? Maybe. But comparing Breaking Bad's final season opener to Game of Thrones season 6 opener is a little dumb? Breaking Bad was fined down to a point that late in the game, it was in the home stretch. There's still so many storylines going on in Thrones that there's really no winning when it comes to pleasing those who watch it. Everyone has a favorite storyline and unfortunately no one story is the focal point, so for a premiere like this yeah, I'm pretty happy they covered a lot of bases. I thought it was a pretty good premiere that set the stage for pretty much every storyline. They went down the line and showed us where everybody stands since last year. Now they can start moving down and dedicated more of certain episodes to certain stories.

Sorry the show isn't about just one thing.

I am not saying those plotlines aren't important. But in all of the discussion after last season's finale how many articles did you read about what Brienne might be up to next season? I can promise you not nearly as many as articles written on Jon Snow.

The point i was trying to make with the Breaking Bad comparison was that the season before also ended on a cliffhanger. They could've waited a couple of episodes to have that confrontation but they didnt. They knew that a season opener has to be something exciting. It's tv 101. you start and end the season with a bang.

I am not saying this was a bad episode. It's just not how you start off a season. the show is supposed to get every psyched. they failed to do that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The belligerence and arrogance of the Night's Watch has been building and building and it's just getting stupid.

You would think Hardhome would be the last straw and they can't deny the truth and nothing is more important than saving everyone from the walkers.

No, because letting wildlings through the gate who agree not to kill us is going to destroy EVERYTHING!

Holding on to some principle like that is just going too far to be believable now.

Decent opener. We weren't going to get anything super important yet. They have set us up fine. I can't see Dorne being important though.

I have to wonder if Thorne and his like act this way, because they still aren't 100% sure the WW/Dead exist. They weren't in Hardhome. I imagine the guys in the room with Davos are there, because they were.

Wonder if it would have been smarter to capture one of the dead, chain it up, and parade it through the 7 kingdoms, warning there are hundreds of thousands of these things, and they are coming. Maybe then people would listen.

Curufinwe

It shows the ship in King's Landing. Sitting with its sails furled in the exact same spot where Jaime came ashore earlier in the episode, with no other ships around it. Trystane's sitting there painting an eye, and Whip Sandsnake and Other Sandsnake walk in, even though they were in Dorne in the last episode of last season.

They just used their magical Sandsnake powers to teleport onto the ship.

Trystane was also in Dorne in the last episode of last season.

I didn't realize Dorne only had one ship.

borborygmus

I have to wonder if Thorne and his like act this way, because they still aren't 100% sure the WW/Dead exist. They weren't in Hardhome. I imagine the guys in the room with Davos are there, because they were.

Wonder if it would have been smarter to capture one of the dead, chain it up, and parade it through the 7 kingdoms, warning there are hundreds of thousands of these things, and they are coming. Maybe then people would listen.

Yeah, they weren't in Hardhome, but they were there when they had to defend against a gazillion wildlings. Not that they aren't massive assholes, but I get their motivations.

Blader

Were the Sand Snakes recast? They didn't seem like the same actresses.

I thought the Dorne subplot popped off pretty quickly, and kind of redeemed them spending so much time on it -- with seemingly little pay off -- last year.

Most of those guys weren't at Hardhome, but did fight -- and lose men to -- the Wildlings in S4. Not to mention any other Wildling skirmish in their history.

Kickz

c'mon son.

p4Dhns3.gif

That would have been a good idea. Yeah, maybe Thorne hasn't actually seen it but even in Season 1, Commander Mormont had a wright attack him and they burned it in the yard. You'd think that's all Thorne needs. I don't think they are trying to play the character like he still has reservations about the truth...he's just being an asshole.

Also I wish Arya being taunted was a bit more clever. It was like a big flashing sign that said 'GUESS WHO'S GOING TO LEARN HOW TO STAFF FIGHT?'

Lister

Banned

Not a scholar of human history, are you? ;)

It's entirely too believable. People want to maintian the status quo for as long as possible in light of change. They want to keep playing at knights of the watch, because that's all they've known for a long time, their actual purpose - to do everything in their power to prevent the white walkers from heading south, is twisted so as to maintain that statu quo.

Jon was smart enough to recognize that tough decisions had to be made, the rest are dumb as rocks. And that is all very human and very belivable because it happens all the time. And that's before you tak einto account some very rela tensions and hatreds between the two factions.

I don't know if I'm just hyper-aware of it now that I know the series has no book source material, but I feel like the quality of the writing (especially the dialogue) has taken a dip.

It was still an all right episode, though. I'm hoping things pick up soon. For a show with supposedly so few episodes left, it would be nice to see story lines finally start driving toward their conclusions.

Yeah, the Dorne girl saying "you're a greedy bitch, ya know that??" felt like it was some out of place comedy piece.

RDreamer

An alright first episode I suppose. There's a lot of things I didn't quite like though, or seemed half assed compared to what the show used to be in S1-3.

The Dorne storyline still feels like a joke. Yes technically there's nothing wrong with Trystane being on a boat, but with the number of people asking about it, I think an establishing shot or line was needed. It's also just a bummer seeing those shitty Dorne characters take over. I don't mind Ellaria as much, but the sand snakes are terrible. Also it was really convenient writing to have them kill Doran right when a letter arrived presumably talking about Myrcella.

Sansa/Theon continues to be questionable. So they hand wave them jumping off the castle, which I guess I expected. I still thought that was shot terribly. You can't show one character brutally fucking smashed and then have them go higher and jump off without explanation. I know, I know. Snow. Well most of the time snow isn't that fucking fluffy that you could jump off that and be fine. Even if it was, there are better ways to shoot that. Anyway, that was a last season complaint. This season they trudge through a fucking frozen lake and apparently all's fine despite them staying outside in the cold the whole time. Ok... The whole scene with the hounds (that inexplicably disappear) was just dumb. It felt like a joke. They create this dire situation where Sansa should run and then blow it up in this joke of like "Oh she's right over there durr" thing. Pod's sword fighting on the horse looked kind of bad, and there were a few other weird things in there (did Theon's sword go through a shield at one point?)

Then the oath. This would be a good point to have Sansa turn a corner and be a bit more of a leader but she bumbles through even though she's supposed to be the one that knows all of this sort of 'high born' stuff. And she even looks questioningly to Theon at one point as if for permission or something. Ugh.

Who wrote the dialogue for the Dothraki? A 10 year old? Seriously? Ugh. And it feels really weird that they'd just believe Dany after saying she was married to Khal Drogo just like that. Emilia Clarke didn't do too well acting that part either.

Melisandre reveal was cool. Davos was great as usual.

RDreamer

What convenience? Doran reading the letter is what prompted her to kill him right then and there.

So they just waited around for that exact moment? Like... why would you take that chance? You're not going to be there every second he opens the mail. If he gets that letter and beefs up security before you know it, you're fucked. Why would they not just stab him right away when they had a chance?

Look, it was for convenient writing. It was for the audience to think "Oooooh now she's gonna get it" and then she doesn't. That's the explanation for it.

An alright first episode I suppose. There's a lot of things I didn't quite like though, or seemed half assed compared to what the show used to be in S1-3.

The Dorne storyline still feels like a joke. Yes technically there's nothing wrong with Trystane being on a boat, but with the number of people asking about it, I think an establishing shot or line was needed. It's also just a bummer seeing those shitty Dorne characters take over. I don't mind Ellaria as much, but the sand snakes are terrible. Also it was really convenient writing to have them kill Doran right when a letter arrived presumably talking about Myrcella.

Sansa/Theon continues to be questionable. So they hand wave them jumping off the castle, which I guess I expected. I still thought that was shot terribly. You can't show one character brutally fucking smashed and then have them go higher and jump off without explanation. I know, I know. Snow. Well most of the time snow isn't that fucking fluffy that you could jump off that and be fine. Even if it was, there are better ways to shoot that. Anyway, that was a last season complaint. This season they trudge through a fucking frozen lake and apparently all's fine despite them staying outside in the cold the whole time. Ok... The whole scene with the hounds (that inexplicably disappear) was just dumb. It felt like a joke. They create this dire situation where Sansa should run and then blow it up in this joke of like "Oh she's right over there durr" thing. Pod's sword fighting on the horse looked kind of bad, and there were a few other weird things in there (did Theon's sword go through a shield at one point?)

Then the oath. This would be a good point to have Sansa turn a corner and be a bit more of a leader but she bumbles through even though she's supposed to be the one that knows all of this sort of 'high born' stuff. And she even looks questioningly to Theon at one point as if for permission or something. Ugh.

Who wrote the dialogue for the Dothraki? A 10 year old? Seriously? Ugh. And it feels really weird that they'd just believe Dany after saying she was married to Khal Drogo just like that. Emilia Clarke didn't do too well acting that part either.

It must be weird seeing last season's ender and this one. Lots of suspenseful cliffhangers (like jumping off the damn castle) that must feel very disjointed with this episode.

I dont know if I'm just being hypersensitive now that this show is running on its own material, or since this show is 6 seasons in and I'm expecting it to lose quality as shows tend to do...

But it was very strange watching Sansa and Theon run away. The dogs are barking behind them somewhere, so they HAVE to be very close, yet they manage to gingerly pass a freezing river (the acting looked terrible in this scene).

They somehow are totally fine after they cross, not drooping wet as they should be, and still manage to run some more.

You would also think that they've been running for quite some time under all that heavy clothing (Sansa particularly).

I guess I'm just bothered by the added sound of the hounds on their tale. The scene could have been better without it as it cheapened the tension IMO.

Maybe Im just being too hypersensitive, but Im noticing a lot of these things that make the show feel way too typical.

Curufinwe

There was an establishing shot of the boat in the Kings Landing harbor.

Sansa has never been portrayed at the type of person who spent hours studying history and the rules of etiquette. In fact, they showed as the opposite in season 1. She was also in shock from the escape and near recapture, so it actually made total sense for Podrick (who did learn all about that stuff while serving Tyrion) to help her in that situation.

Her face/head was Makeup'd Catrice, the body was an 80 year old Irish woman.

To create an ancient version of The Red Woman, the Thrones team took a cue from making last season’s Walk of Shame sequence, where special effects were used to combine a nude body double with actress Lena Headey. In this case, van Houten wore prosthetic makeup for her face and hair, while her body was performed by an older woman.

Where'd that quote come from?

RDreamer

I feel like they're going for really cheap tension at every second rather than good writing and tension when it makes sense. Sansa and Theon running away is already tense enough. Do we really need to throw in a fucking unbelievable frozen river? Do you need to make Theon's terrible last stand literally 5 feet away from Sansa?

Same thing with the letter I talked about in my previous post. It's cheap tension not real tension. Story-wise it makes no sense and is simply there to get you to think one thing and then the show says "GOTCHA! Wasn't that great! You thought the other thing was going to happen, but it totally didn't. High five!"

Kickz

I feel like they're going for really cheap tension at every second rather than good writing and tension when it makes sense. Sansa and Theon running away is already tense enough. Do we really need to throw in a fucking unbelievable frozen river? Do you need to make Theon's terrible last stand literally 5 feet away from Sansa?

Same thing with the letter I talked about in my previous post. It's cheap tension not real tension. Story-wise it makes no sense and is simply there to get you to think one thing and then the show says "GOTCHA! Wasn't that great! You thought the other thing was going to happen, but it totally didn't. High five!"

Ha, that Theon last stand was hilarious.. Goodbye hug and not literally 10 seconds later the hounds have her..

RDreamer

There was an establishing shot of the boat in the Kings Landing harbor.

It's still a bit weird he'd be sitting in that boat. They wouldn't take him into somewhere safer in the city? Also, there's still the problem with the Sand Snakes being way too fucking powerful and apparently sneaky. It's like the 20 good men for Ramsay thing. This ship should have been well guarded both by Trystane and by the Lannisters because of what happened, but somehow these two idiots are able to come in pretty easily it seems. It's not really a plothole because I suppose it could happen, just all these things combined seems to kill the reality this show is supposed to be grounded in.

I think that's the biggest problem now. The show started and was loved for being real and gritty and anyone can die. Now you've got 20 good men taking on an army of one of the best generals in westeros. You've got Sansa and Theon trudging through a frozen river. You've got the Sand Snakes making it past any and all guards to kill the prince of Dorne.

Sansa has never been portrayed at the type of person who spent hours studying history and the rules of etiquette. In fact, they showed as the opposite in season 1. She was also in shock from the escape and near recapture, so it actually made total sense for Podrick (who did learn all about that stuff while serving Tyrion) to help her in that situation.

This is another one that can technically be hand waved, but I'm not saying it's a glaring hole. I'm saying I would prefer Sansa turn a fucking corner here like she was going to do last season before the rape scene. The helpless puppy routine has got really old by now.

Ha, that Theon last stand was hilarious.. Goodbye hug and not literally 10 seconds later the hounds have her..

And ten seconds later the hounds are gone.

Seriously, stop building tension with things you're going to fucking hand wave a few seconds later. The hounds were explicitly mentioned a bunch of times as the threat, not the guards. Then they disappear? WTF? The river is a big source of tension and then nothing. WTF? This is beyond terrible writing. If you're not going to deal with he consequences of your tension building shit then don't use it.

JB1981

Thought it was kind of whack how Davos and like three guys are locked in a room with a bunch of nights watchmen chilling outside and they are talking to each other thru a door. Seemed far fetched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom