• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2016: Upgrade to a Better You

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
FFVFJF2016.png

Welcome to the NeoGAF thread for the Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2016!

The official page can be found here.

Gilgabot, the official Twitter Bot for the fiesta, is found here.

Hashtag: #FF5FJF2016

This is an event for Child's Play Charity! By making pledges and donations you can affect you and I play the game! And of course raise money for an awesome cause!

Schedule
Now to June 14: Preregistration
June 12: The Run
June 14 - August 31: Play! Play! Play! Get your #victory in!

What is the Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2016?
You play Final Fantasy Five, the best Final Fantasy game. The only difference is, you are allowed only four jobs, one from each crystal. And they are randomly assigned to you. When you beat Exdeath, your picture must show all four of those jobs being used to qualify you as a winner.

Spell that out for me in lots of small words.
As you play Final Fantasy Five, jobs are unlocked at certain parts of the game. The wind crystal, water crystal, fire crystal and earth crystal. When you unlock the wind, water, fire and earth crystal jobs, send a tweet to @FF5ForFutures with #wind, #water, #fire or #earth respectively. You will then be informed of your new job!

What versions of FF5 are acceptable?
Any. GBA or iOS are recommended. GBA for it being the best version, iOS because heck, screen capturing could not be easier. And it is cheap. Comparatively.

But I have no no way to screen cap!
A picture taken with your friend's partner's mother's niece's dog's uncle's webcam reflected off of a feature phone and then uploaded to your local Internet is okay. I trust you can find a way.

Can I use the extra jobs in FFVa?
Guess what? This year...
No, you cannot.

What if I have never played FF5 before?
It is cool, you can still sign up.
Me, rk, would not recommend this be the way to play the first time. But, no one is stopping you from trying. Many say this is the first way they beat FF5. I personally find that sad, but hey, Y Burn?

I have random number generators! Why do I need you?
Because we are a loving community. Plus: Gilgabot. He is going to yell at you. And we raise money for charity. Child’s Play! Last year brought in $11,414.14. To date the Fiesta has brought in over $20,000.

Twitter is a crime! Let me do it some other way!
I am terribly sorry, but Twitter makes automating this much easier and open to a wide array of people. Twitter requires no personal information, you could easily make a junk account and use it entirely for the Fiesta. If you delete your account or change your name, though, things will get funky and not work as nicely. Many lovely people on Twitter began their Twitter-Life with the Fiesta. Why not you?

My twitter account is private!
Gilgabot will not be able to see your tweets until you follow him and he also follows you. So you will have to either notify me somehow or I will be checking for private accounts following Gilgabot as frequently as I can (maybe once a day). It would be easiest if you made another Fiesta-only account. You like things to be easy, right?

What if I do not get any tweets back?
Gilgabot works on a schedule and will respond to tweets when and if it is able. Should ten or fifteen minutes go by, do not resend the tweet, but let revenantkioku know. He will look into it and if something is really funky - and by funky I mean smells not so sweet - he will manually set you up. It just may take a while if that is the case, but it should not be.
Gilgabot can get overloaded. This happens. The Fiesta can get kind of crazy. Try to calm down and get your jobs when you are playing, not just because you can. Outside of the opening rush, however, stuff should be fine. Emphasis on the stuff even though it should be on the should.

If you encounter any problems, please message me (@revenantkioku ) instead of Gilgabot because that account is so swamped with messages that it is hard to dig through. You can PM me on GAF, but I might not see it as soon.

Is The Run happening this year?
Yes! This year will be a bit different, so stay tuned for details. You can vote for the jobs here: http://fourjobfiesta.com/therun.php

Are there any goals?
Yup! Donation incentives for The Run are:
$500: ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ PIANO FLEX ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ Players must play every piano and flex each time.

$1000: Hi, Gilgamesh! Players must do all Gilgamesh fights.

$2500: Final Savepoint Players must defeat Necrophobe.

$5000: Legendary Weapons Players must collect all four tablets and all twelve legendary weapons.

Any new rules?
Yup!

#Upgrade! Instead of Adding your new job to your roster, it replaces your previous one. But you can learn skills you got with the previous jobs.

Contest Rules

Runs

Normal Run (#reg)

Players will be assigned one class from each crystal. Until all four classes are unlocked, players are only permitted to use the classes they have currently unlocked. Bare/Suppin/Freelance can only be used until the Wind Crystal job is unlocked.

Random Run
Ih8HsCc.png
(#regrand)

Players will be assigned one class from any of the available jobs when new jobs are unlocked. As above, Bare/Suppin/Freelance can only be used until the Wind Jobs are obtained.

Team 750
QVBjKUE.png
(#reg750)

Players will be be assigned jobs that can only break rods or jobs that are similar in play style and theme.

xlBHpnt.png
ZNVnkUf.png
hrMLbD1.png
gLunrpP.png
jqPg3xz.png
EtEO2uy.png
8GmMmCi.png
2pm57Nt.png
jllcItN.png
YG6OZ5T.png

Team No 750
kwtZHVu.png
(#regno750)

Players will only be assigned jobs that cannot break rods and follow within that play style and theme.

akSyFTs.png
2dECfYw.png
Qrg665T.png
Q973A64.png
FAT2GFL.png
a71ETfU.png
Mnvbb9y.png
NBMP8fv.png
hdPkCXj.png
pWvRmrf.png

Classic Jobs
helmet.png
(#regff1)

Players will be assigned jobs that were only in the original Final Fantasy. Dupilcates (up to four, even!) can be assigned. Only Red Mage is maxed out at 3 because it is a Water Crystal Job.
Classic Jobs Runs are Natural Runs by default.
No BERSERKERRISK.
Qrg665T.png
akSyFTs.png
Qrg665T.png
EtEO2uy.png
xlBHpnt.png
ZNVnkUf.png

Chaos
chaos.png
(#regchaos)

You will be assigned jobs.

Natural
txAys6K.png
(#natural)

Natural can be added to any run. To do so either tweet #natural to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

1. Bartz must use the Wind crystal job exclusively. Lenna the Water, Faris the Fire and Galuf/Krile the Earth.
2. If you are playing a mode other than Normal you simply assign the job listed in that slot on the players page for your job.
3. Characters must remain Freelancer until their job is unlocked. Team No 750 players must not break rods.
4. Characters may not use skills from other jobs. This means no giving Black Magic to Bards and the like. Only skills learned naturally from the one assigned job may be used.

Upgrade upgrade
upgrade.png
(#upgrade)

Upgrade can be added to any non Natural-run. To do so either tweet #upgrade to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

You will only use your Wind Job until you get your Water Job. Water until Fire, and then Fire until Earth. Then your Earth job will be the job you use until the end of the game. Any abilities learned from the previous jobs may be used.

BERSERKER RISK
FAT2GFL.png
(#BERSERKERRISK)

BERSERKER RISK can be added to any run to give the player a chance of getting the Berseker job assigned to their Water, Fire or Earth Crystal slots. The only difference is that a Normal run will have their Water Job set to Berserker instead of any other slot. To do so either tweet #BERSERKERRISK to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. When the fiesta starts, for every $10 of donations, one player with BERSERKER RISK will get another Berserker. If there are more Berserkers to hand out than players with BERSERKER RISK players will end up with multiple Berserkers. This is the only
chaos.png
way in the Fiesta to end up with a duplicate job.
Once the fiesta has started, BERSERKER RISK is no longer an option.

Both Natural and BERSERKER RISK may be added to a run. Except Classic Jobs Runs.

Any questions? Leave them! I will try my best to answer them.

CLARIFICATIONS
Every $10 in donations before the Fiesta starts means one person with Berserker Risk gets an extra Berserker.
Normal Run players will get it as their Water Job.
Random or Team No 750 (Or Team 750, but that would be weird to register that way. You COULD. I am not stopping you. But.) they get their Berserker assigned to any non-Wind slot.
Natural works with any. You just apply the job assigned to that crystal slot to that character.

The list of all available commands responds to is available here.

If you are curious about how last year went: http://fourjobfiesta.com/infopicture/infopicture2015.png

Best of luck and have fun!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finally a new thread. I actually considered making one but figured RK or Aeana or someone would be on it.

In for Berserker Risk and Random to start this year, no idea how many runs I will do. Plan to try out the No/750 Random/Chaos options, and may give #upgrade a shot.

Also: first year that it doesn't start while I'm on vacation, so I can actually jump in right away.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Finally a new thread. I actually considered making one but figured RK or Aeana or someone would be on it.

Yeah, sorry about the delay. I was in the middle of putting it up when a bug was found in Gilgabot that kept me up until 3 am.

I remember last year my run was never considered completed even though I did submit a picture. I do remember the picture being a bit imperfect though tbf

RevenantKioku

I remember last year my run was never considered completed even though I did submit a picture. I do remember the picture being a bit imperfect though tbf

Sorry about that.

It's likely that the tweet did not get picked up for whatever reason and it did not go into the queue. I'm not that picky

graywords

Been looking forward to this. This year will be my 3rd year doing this. In for at least 2 runs this year.

Third year club, represent.

Seems like I might be out of space on my SFC cart save file. :/ Guess I'll either do an emu run, or actually bite the bullet and try the Steam version. Just wish I could change language to Japanese...

EDIT: Going for a #chaos run again. Hoping for some interesting class spreads.

JC Lately

Now I’m glad No Man’s Sky was delayed.

No distractions.

I’m going to make it this time, GAF. I can feel it.

agradine

Excited! Going to start off with Chaos run this year; I need to fill out my Fire Crystal jobs pretty badly. And might I actually complete a second run this year? Probably not, but that won't stop me from trying and probably getting through at least World 1! Yay consistency!

Judging by the early voting so far people really want to get an early start this, it seems. Of course there's always going to be some last-minute giant donations/votes to throw things out of whack. Still, gotta keep plugging for Bards. Bards4Life.

Heropon

The best time of the year has come! I'm doing a normal run first because I'm terribly boring but maybe next I do #chaos or #upgrade, depending on how brave I'm feeling at that moment.

JC Lately

Hmm, weird. I sent the #reg tweet, but never got a response in my notifications. Scrolling through Gigabot’s twitter and the website both confirm I’m registered though. Probably something screwy with the notifications on my side.

Anyway: HYPE. Sorry KH Unchained, time to delete your ass. I need room on mah phone.

RevenantKioku

A clarification on #upgrade:

Upgrade can be added to any non Natural-run. To do so either tweet #upgrade to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

You will only use your Wind Job until you unlock your Water Job. Water until you unlock Fire, and then Fire until Earth. Then your Earth job will be the job you use until the end of the game. Any abilities learned from the previous jobs may be used. Of course, we here at the Fiesta do not want to force upgrades on our users. So you may tweet for your next crystal job when you are ready to #upgrade!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So means you could finish the game with your fire job? I can definitely think of situations where it might be preferable not to risk switching jobs at that point.

Wind and water would also apply but there aren't nearly as many situations you would want to forgo two jobs, and realistically none where you would want to stick with your starting job.

Taruranto

I think last year I didn't finish it. I'm ashamed of my words and deeds.

This year I'll be sure to pick a challenge with mage jobs, melee bore me. :C

woo, it returns! team #chaos #upgrade #berserkerrisk represent

any word yet on how we'll handle #chaos/#upgrade if we end up with multiple jobs from the same crystal?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
woo, it returns! team #chaos #upgrade #berserkerrisk represent

any word yet on how we'll handle #chaos/#upgrade if we end up with multiple jobs from the same crystal?

IIRC you still have to manually unlock each job in chaos right? Based on RK's post you would just tweet the command for the new job when you are ready to move to it. So it wouldn't matter what crystal it's from.

IIRC you still have to manually unlock each job in chaos right? Based on RK's post you would just tweet the command for the new job when you are ready to move to it. So it wouldn't matter what crystal it's from.

hmm... that works I guess. I also might just grab a code to unlock all jobs from the start. I did that on some #chaos runs last year and that was kind of interesting. Some classes really thrive early on and some are terrible ('sup Bard)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
hmm... that works I guess. I also might just grab a code to unlock all jobs from the start. I did that on some #chaos runs last year and that was kind of interesting. Some classes really thrive early on and some are terrible ('sup Bard)

I did that too on one run. It's pretty interesting from a risk/reward perspective, since getting certain jobs early makes the game harder due to a total lack of options. While others can make it easier due to having some good equipment available a while before the jobs are - Dragoon is the epitome of this since you can buy a spear before the fire crystal, and you can buy another and steal one that will last you until world 3 before the earth crystal. And there are obviously the weapons hidden in Tycoon.

Boney

Banned
Wooooo it's my favourite time of the year!

#Upgrade sounds fun, but the only problem is that anal retentive folks could end up feeling the need to grind their jobs before the next crystal. If they do I guess it's their fault for not playing regular.

Dammit, another year has gone by and I'll be missing out on this again. Played the game partially through years ago but never got around to finishing it and I can't see myself playing through a game of this length before the event and again so soon afterwards. Every time this event pops up I end up kicking myself for not being able to join in. Oh well, next year will be the year for sure lol.

FYI, if anyone is looking to pick up a copy of the game the steam version is currently on sale on the NA Square Enix store for $8 USD.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, another year has gone by and I'll be missing out on this again. Played the game partially through years ago but never got around to finishing it and I can't see myself playing through a game of this length before the event and again so soon afterwards. Every time this event pops up I end up kicking myself for not being able to join in. Oh well, next year will be the year for sure lol.

FYI, if anyone is looking to pick up a copy of the game it's currently on sale on the NA Square Enix store for $8 USD.

SE knows. They had a sale on the iOS version last year to coincide. Probably makes for a decent sales bump, don't even know if I'll use it but I might grab the PC version.

Kaelin

Neo Member
So means you could finish the game with your fire job? I can definitely think of situations where it might be preferable not to risk switching jobs at that point.

Wind and water would also apply but there aren't nearly as many situations you would want to forgo two jobs, and realistically none where you would want to stick with your starting job.

If someone could get three berserkers due to #BERSERKERRISK, sticking with a Wind job could be safer, but it would spoil the spirit of #BERSERKERRISK.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If someone could get three berserkers due to #BERSERKERRISK, sticking with a Wind job could be safer, but it would spoil the spirit of #BERSERKERRISK.

Anybody doing upgrade+berserker risk either doesn't know what they are getting themselves into, or they have balls of steel.

Kientin

This is one of the events I always look forward to each year. Hardly have any time to do this at the moment, but I'll do my best!

I always seem to catch this thread mid-August. Maybe now that I've got it early I'll actually be able to set aside time to do it instead of just watching y'all, haha.

Nairume

Banned
Going berserker risk this year. Doubt I'll be super lucky and get a Bard/Chemist combo to make up for it this time around :p

SkyOdin

An #upgrade to a chaos or a random run could be interesting, but man that is one hell of a gamble. I don't think I could ever do an upgraded normal run though. For some reason I expect that I would end up with Chemist again.

Maybe I should just try chaos again this year?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Someone donated $3500.

There are currently 14 berserkers for each berserker risk player.

We either need WAY more berserker risk players, RK needs to adjust for inflation, or a lot of people are probably going to dip out of berserker risk because it's just going to end up being a guaranteed 4 berserker run.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't even look at the numbers, I was just going by what multiple people (including RK) mentioned on Twitter.

1.5-2 per player would be ideal, IMO. It will go up as more donations go in, but it will also go down as more people register. I'd guess players doing berserker risk would be more likely to register early though.

Ainaurdur

It seems the number of Riskers has gone up decently to match the current donations. I only checked it after I registered as a Risker myself. There is always an ebb and flow to this balance.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, if anyone is considering #BERSERKERRISK then just go for it. We'll be fine in the end.

SkyOdin

I'll admit that I am wavering between going #BERSERKERRISK to help out with the problem of the glut of Berserkers, but at the same time I don't want a party of four Berserkers. Maybe just one, two at the most. I haven't had a Berserker yet, so I am willing to give it a try.
It seems the number of Riskers has gone up decently to match the current donations. I only checked it after I registered as a Risker myself. There is always an ebb and flow to this balance.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, if anyone is considering #BERSERKERRISK then just go for it. We'll be fine in the end.
Hmmm... maybe I can give it a try this year.

agradine

Holy crap those votes for The Run. I know it's still early but wow.

Interestingly, while it's a powerful party it's not necessarily a very fast party...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'll admit that I am wavering between going #BERSERKERRISK to help out with the problem of the glut of Berserkers, but at the same time I don't want a party of four Berserkers. Maybe just one, two at the most. I haven't had a Berserker yet, so I am willing to give it a try.

Hmmm... maybe I can give it a try this year.

The math was wrong, so there shouldn't be a real risk of 4 berserkers. With the current numbers you would probably not end up with more than 2, but it's possible with particularly bad luck.

Berserkers aren't really that bad though. Like any job they have a role you can carve out, and for every situation where they are absolutely horrible there is another where you will be glad to have one around. 3-4 is where things get sloppy, but with 3 it also depends on what's supporting them.

RevenantKioku

Yeah, sorry about the 14 to 1 thing. I don't know how that got into my head other than wow I did not get enough sleep last night.

Still, amazed to see $5000 already and yeah, right now no, but Berserkers may have to go up in price some year, but probably not this year.

Registered for random. This will be the first time that I play through using the Android version, as my trusty backlit GBA SP was kinda on its last legs (shorter battery life, uneven bright spots on the screen, L button becoming less reliable) last year. At least I might be able to take more screenshots this time.

Robin64

Wow, it's that time already. Registered, now I just need to figure out if I want to play on my GameBoy Micro or the TV. Both have their pros and cons..

For anyone thinking about getting the Steam version of FF5 for this here's the modding guide with some released mods:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=592358107

Personally I recommend the

*Bilinear Filter Begone
*Vibrant Anti-Tile Seam Reshade Preset WITH Border Fix (only works at 1080p res)
*Tweaked Amano Portraits

Maybe not the best version of the game but I rather like it.

Also as mentioned above, on sale at the Squeenix store until the sixth for 8 bucks.
A few other notes for anyone interested:

-If the steam overlay doesn't work for you, you can replace the opengl32.dll in the game files with a dll from ReShade. You can default it to not use any of its built in visual effects if you don't want to make use of them. If you end up using the Reshade preset above then this likely won't be an issue.
-I noticed a small white border around the edge of the screen when running in fullscreen mode. You can set it windowed mode and use the Windowed Borderless Gaming app to remove the borders. Don't know if the border fix mod above does anything about the border that I'm talking about or if it only stretches the image to fill in the black bars. I haven't tried it as I don't want to stretch the image nor add any saturation or blur.
-I'm not a fan of the Terra portrait used by that modder in the portrait replacement mod and apparently I'm not alone. There's another mod for her portrait and a couple of others that can be found here which isn't listed on the steam guide.

Top Bottom