• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Citigroup trademarks THANKYOU and sues AT&T for thanking clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...s-thankyou-and-sues-att-for-thanking-clients/

Banking giant Citigroup has trademarked "THANKYOU" and is now suing technology giant AT&T for how it says thanks to its own loyal customers. This is "unlawful conduct" amounting to wanton trademark infringement, Citigroup claims in its federal lawsuit.

Here is a copy (PDF) of the trademark certificates and trademark applications connected to what Citigroup is calling its "THANKYOU Marks."

According to Citibank's lawsuit (PDF) lodged Friday in New York federal court:

For many years, Citigroup has used trademarks consisting of and/or containing the term THANKYOU, including THANKYOU, CITI THANKYOU, CITIBUSINESS THANKYOU. THANKYOU FROM CITI, and THANKYOU YOUR WAY, in connection with a variety of customer loyalty, reward, incentive, and redemption programs (collectively, the “THANKYOU Marks”).

In its lawsuit, the financial institution says AT&T is infringing Citigroup's intellectual property because of AT&T's brand new marketing campaign (PDF) connected to AT&T's co-branded, Citigroup credit card called "the AT&T Universal Card." AT&T is illegally marketing the phrases "thanks" and "AT&T THANKS," Citigroup claims. This "is likely to cause consumer confusion and constitutes trademark infringement, false designation of origin, and unfair competition in violation of Citigroup's rights," the suit says.

Because of "AT&T's unlawful conduct," Citigroup wants unspecified damages and is demanding that a federal judge block this alleged illegal marketing campaign. In its lawsuit, Citigroup said everybody knows that the "THANKYOU Marks" are synonymous with Citigroup.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Now I've heard it all.

Vestal

Gold Member
Just when I thought I had seen it all.
wIn9plR.gif

Maz

This is amazing, they really need to overhaul patent laws.
Do people/corporation get fined for useless lawsuits in the US?

THANKYOU AT-AT

How does one even get two common words trademarked like that. Wat

They registered the THANKYOU marks in connection with specific things (credit cards, credit card services, etc.). They can't prevent people from saying "Thank you." The issue here, I guess, is that AT&T is using it in connection with a particular credit card they're offering. Since they had a co-branded card venture, I'm thinking that something went wrong with the deal and Citi is trying to fuck with AT&T legally.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For a bit of context, you generally aren't allowed to trademark super generic terms for just any purpose. They specifically trademarked it for credit card services and reward programs. If I had credit card reward program called "Thank You" and someone else used Thank You, there could be an argument for confusion that the other party was part of my program.

I question why the examiner let his through but I didn't read the whole application so I don't know why he or she did. While I don't personally believe this should've been finalized, once it was, the lawyers were well within their rights to enforce it.

Boem

This sounds like a C-rate Twilight Zone episode for kids. We're finally living in a dystopian future where saying Thank You is outlawed.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I think this might finally eclipse Apple patenting rounded rectangles as the dumbest corporate "protection" issuance I've seen.

For a bit of context, you generally aren't allowed to trademark super generic terms for just any purpose. They specifically trademarked it for credit card services and reward programs. If I had credit card reward program called "Thank You" and someone else used Thank You, there could be an argument for confusion that the other party was part of my program.

I question why the examiner let his through but I didn't read the whole application so I don't know why he or she did. While I don't personally believe this should've been finalized, once it was, the lawyers were well within their rights to enforce it.

How could that possibly cause confusion? AT&T doesn't issue credit cards (or do they?) and they didn't even use thankyou, but THANKS.

Edit: Previously quoted the wrong post.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
They registered the THANKYOU marks in connection with specific things (credit cards, credit card services, etc.). They can't prevent people from saying "Thank you." The issue here, I guess, is that AT&T is using it in connection with a particular credit card they're offering. Since they had a co-branded card venture, I'm thinking that something went wrong with the deal and Citi is trying to fuck with AT&T legally.
I would contest "thanks" and "AT&T THANKS" are different enough.

I ate dinner at my mom's house yesterday but because of this story I was afraid if saying thank you so I slapped my mom on the ass and said job well done instead.

This shit is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom