• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeonmans: a Roguelike Dungeon Crawling and Monster Smashing Heroic Adventure (56k)

Victrix

*beard*

Dungeonmans Discord. Friendly and helpful, lead dev is active here, join up!
I2D9Lh.gif

Launch Trailer
Steam
Homepage

Let's talk about Dungeonmans. I've been meaning to make a long post about this game forever, it's one of my favorite roguelikes, and just a plain wonderful dungeon crawling rpg.

Dungeonmans is a PC, turn based, single character rpg with permanent death and a persistent world that remains even if your heroes die.

It's a roguelike dungeon smasher that was Kickstarted successfully a few years back, and later released at the very end of 2014. In the last year and a half, it has been repeatedly updated with new content, features, and fixes.

So if it released over a year ago and I didn't do a big OT style post for it then, why now? Well partly because I'm lazy and OTs take a bunch of work :p But also partly because I've been playing it a bunch again recently and it is criminally unknown even among roguelike fans. If you love building up super powered heroes and destroying enemies by the dozen, this is one of the best.

Dungeonmans began life as a teeny tiny XNA project a million years ago, I stumbled across it completely by accident because I was in the mood for a roguelike game, I was burned out on the genre classics, and even in that proto-game state, Dungeonmans was showing the glimmer of some ideas that I'd been waiting to see in any roguelike game.

This was a good long while before tagging every indie game on Steam with 'roguelike' became a thing, mind, and there really weren't a lot of other games that scratched that particular itch for me (tough tactical combat, permadeath, interesting character builds, cool loot, etcetc).

When Dungeonmans finally launched, it managed to fulfill the promise I saw when it was just an early experiment, and since it launched, it's been improved on regularly with updates.

So let's get into it, I'll go over the major features and why I've been playing it on and off for years now.

The Dungeonmans Academy:

GUFZdU.png

The major conceit for the game is the presence of a school for heroes. Every character you create begins at the same Academy, and the Academy grows over time, even as your characters die. This type of meta progression has been done in several other games (roguelike and roguelite alike), but if you're not familiar with the concept, it acts as a relief valve for difficulty.

If you hate losing all of your progress in permadeath roguelikes, Dungeonmans is a really good intro to the genre. The Academy gets built up over time, and eventually your starting characters are bristling with enchanted gear and hopped up stats, so you can smash through the early game (and even the mid-game if your Academy is really buff), which gets you back to progressing towards victory much more quickly than normal roguelikes where you start from scratch.

Also, if you're busy turning your nose up at the concept because that's not ~true roguelike difficulty~, there's an Ironmans mode that blows the Academy up. You start out in the ruins, and that's it, one run, victory or death. On top of that, none of the Academy upgrades or items work, so it's harder because of that as well.

The persistent world actually extends beyond the Academy, there are towns you can find in the wilderness and improve, if a monster kills you in the wilds, it founds a new dungeon as the boss, if you die in a dungeon, the monster that kills you becomes the dungeon lord.

If you die in any dungeon, your next hero can recover a part of that fallen character's essence and gain some power - and if the fallen hero was high enough level, you can actually recover some of the loot they were carrying and maybe even an upgraded, hero-infused version of the weapon they were wielding.

kiQvIx.png

Character Customization
7wce11.png

Dungeonmans is a skill-based RPG, there aren't hard-set classes. Instead, you pick skills from 11 different Mastery lines to build your character.

The Masteries cover the usual RPG class styles you'd expect - Fightermans, Wizardmans, Rangermans, Necromanser.

But there's also more unusual specialities - Bannermans is a spear and shield wielder that calls down enchanted banners to control the battlefield and blasts enemies with starlight (or performs dope ass dragoon-style jumping attacks).

Psychomanser is a combat monk that's a mix of psionic and martial artist - literally fling weapons at your enemies, make them bleed, and then kill them all in a single dashing turn.

The Southern Gentlemans is a refined barbarian that politely serves refreshing drinks up to his foes (seriously), until he gets angry and drops literal F Bombs all over the battlefield.

Something I really, really like about Dungeonmans is there's next to no fat on the skill tree. There are 92 different skills spread throughout the Masteries, and the vast, vast majority of them are powerful, multi-purpose active abilities.

There are passive skills, but they too tend to have significant impact on your abilities, character, or how you interact with the world.

My first impression when I started playing was that there were 'too few' skills, but I quickly realized that almost without exception, every single skill in the game is powerful.

They all scale with your gear and your stats, so they're all useful from the beginning of the game to the end.

On top of that, there's no passives of the 'add 1 point to gain 0.3% more X'. Everything is chunky and strong, useful in many situations.

Experimenting with all the different Masteries and combinations of their skills is a lot of fun, and gives the game a lot of legs - plus it lets you try something new every time you kick the bucket.

qZLmjd.png

Exploration
WHKNYn.png

When you create your first Academy, you generate a new continent. The continent is then filled in with forests and mountains, plains and roads, towns, ambushes, hostile encampments, dungeons, caves, towers, ruined fortresses, crypts, and ancient temples.

The farther you travel from the Academy, and the deeper (or higher) you venture into dungeons, the tougher the enemies get, and the better the loot gets.

At the farthest corner of the continent, you can (eventually) face the final dungeon to beat the game.

It's also possible to find new dungeons by bribing innkeepers in towns, or if you really want a fresh look, the Headmaster in the Academy can recreate a new continent, but you get to keep your Academy and all its upgrades intact.

Clean and Simple Controls
vF5NQv.png

A lot of roguelikes have a nasty reputation for being impenetrable, Dwarf Fortress style.

Dungeonmans is not. You can play it with keypad and keyboard, with mouse, or even with a gamepad.

There are very few keyboard commands to learn, and all the main ones are accessible via the character sheet you can open with the Spacebar.

Open your powers menu and drag skills onto the hotbar, or press shift-# to assign them.

R to rest, F to shoot, E or I for equipment, and uh, that's about all you need to know really.

If you're a keyboard commando, you can customize the hotkeys and there are some more advanced functions (switching skill hotbars, fast travel to stairs, direct access to other character sheet menus, etc), but none of them are necessary to play.

EtaOUk.png

Tactical Combat
p5PqGf.png

This is why I love Dungeonmans, and why I've been playing it for so long. The RPG buildup stuff is great, but it's the huge range of monsters and dungeons combined with all the skills that makes for really entertaining combat.

Something that was driving me nuts about older roguelikes was their 'ascii text having erotic @@ sex' style combat. You could basically bump into enemies and that was about it. More recent roguelikes have improved on that, but Dungeonmans really nailed it for me.

Not only do your skills have a lot of flexibility and power, the enemies you face have a huge variety of skills. On top of that, there are Champions that are more powerful and have their own unique skills as well. The most basic 'move and attack' or 'move and shoot' style enemies exist of course, but there are enemies that make you stop cold and figure out how to handle the situation when you spot them because they present that much of a threat.

Another thing - Dungeonmans has a real focus on ~heroic adventure~, so in general, your hero is a bit tougher than most roguelike games, and if you know what you're doing, it's very possible to play the game extremely quickly despite being turn based.

That isn't to say that it's easy mind you, the game does still have teeth, and it can and will kill you repeatedly if you play sloppily.

Difficulty
h0g3TM.png

This isn't actually an explicit 'feature' of the game, but it's something that kind of arose due to the way the game is structured.

So because of how the Academy works, and how character creation Perks are chosen, it's very possible to make the game harder or easier to suit your tastes.

If you're new to roguelikes and you have a hard time with permadeath, you can lean on the Academy, and over time your starting heroes become mega badasses. If you're persistent, you'll make it through and beat the game.

But! If you're a vet, or you beat it that way but you want a tougher challenge, there's a lot of room to make the game more difficult. Playing on Ironmans strips out the Academy entirely. Or you can start with an Academy, but don't play future characters. Or you can pick starting character perks that make your life harder.

I like this for a lot of reasons, for me personally, it's meant I can keep challenging myself with ever-more ridiculous setups, but for newer players, I really think it's a huge boon, and makes the game a lot more welcoming, especially if you've ever tried a permadeath roguelike in the past and bounced off due to the difficulty wall.

Really, really good music
tiyJ2I.png

Shades of Sakimoto all over the place. It sounds like a mix of Final Fantasy Tactics and some lost 16 bit rpg that you never played.

Don't take my word for it, go listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUKhFHDpqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhuSRf7LlzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkWSzsPhSfI

https://soundcloud.com/overclocked-records/sets/zircon-dungeonmans-ost

Composed by Zircon: http://zirconmusic.com/

And a bunch of other stuff. Did I mention the absurdly ridiculous loot?

STs5wa.png

You probably already picked up on it, but Dungeonmans has a bit of a sense of humor. It isn't ~whacky goofy in your face~ comedy, but it's a bit tongue in cheek about the whole concept of lone adventurers plundering dungeons and smashing monsters. Read the flavor text on, well, basically everything - skills, items, enemies, it's quality.

I could keep going for ages, but this'd end up way too long.

If you've tried roguelike games in the past because you like the basic concept, but couldn't get into them, give Dungeonmans a try. Likewise, if you're already a dungeon crawler or roguelike fan, but you haven't heard of it, dive in.

RMVIXE.gif

rDkOya.gif

BCusQa.gif

Thanks for the write-up.
Would this be a good game to get into rogue-likes? I never played one before and the trailer and the stats on the weapons look a bit confusing to me.

Victrix

*beard*
Thanks for the write-up.
Would this be a good game to get into rogue-likes? I never played one before and the trailer and the stats on the weapons look a bit confusing to me.

100% yes, the controls are simple and the basic gameplay is immediately understandable - pick a class, go forth, bash monsters and get loot.

IfWhen you kick the bucket a time or two, come back here and ask some questions :D

If you've ever played any rpg you should get the mastery/skill splits right away. The rest is pretty straightforward.

I'd recommend Rangermans as a first character, or Fightermans (1h or 2h weapons), both have pretty clean playstyles. Remember you can invest points anywhere, but if you feel overwhelmed, stick to investing points in your 'main' class tree.

After you've given them a run, try Bannermans (really cool skills).

ANY build needs to invest in one of the three lines of armor (light/medium/real), all three are viable from start to endgame, but they all have distinct playstyles. I'd recommend Real when you're new, it's the best defense passively, Medium is a close second.

Light Armor requires you to manage an active defensive shield, so it's not a good idea to start with (unless you're comfortable with it of course), because if you forget to use it, well, you're wearing robes and hats instead of plate armor :p

To wear equipment you need the appropriate skill unlocked, most basic gear comes from Adventuring 101 (one and two handed weapons, shields, bows), staves come from Wizardmans (second skill, top row), polearms from Bannermans (first skill, top row), and fists from Psychomanser (any skill, but I'd wait on trying that one, it's the most recently added class/mastery, and probably the most complex, although it is pretty rad - punch all the things). You can unlock Dual Wielding in the Adventuring 101 tree, but I think it's probably the toughest basic melee spec, so I'd wait a bit on trying it.

The starting 'classes' are literally just packages of 5 skills pre-selected, if you want to pick your own, pick Dungeonmans, it gives you the 5 skill points and a bag of gear, so you can pick your own setup - it's the way to go once you're comfortable making your own builds.

Skittles

Game is pretty much a spiritual successor to Dungeons of Dredmor with a splash of Rogue Legacy. One of the best games i've played all year. Hopefully people didn't sleep on this game during the sale

Ironically, it is more spiritually an homage to the classic Castle of the Winds than even the bits at first glance that smack of Dredmor, Rogue Legacy, Tales of Maj'Eyal.

The dev has been quite good about incorporating feedback and crusading against bugs and performance woes on top of content updates as well since it first launched as per the OP---not a tremendous number of updates in terms of volume, but each tends to be deep on potency and chock full of character in a way that many other projects just aren't.

Game is awesome. I think the dev even mentions he gets inspiration from Tales of Maj'Eyal. It has controller support which has gotten better.

It has a solid base and once it's expanded upon more it will be excellent. Right now, in my opinion, it lacks the depth/content of the "true" roguelikes like Tales of Maj'Eyal, Dungeon Crawl, Ancient Domains of Mystery, or even Caves of Qud. But it has tons of potential and the base is extremely solid. I love the light humor in it:

Overall I think it has the potential to be a great true roguelike once it's fully fleshed out (with some addons/expansions).

Damn, I really should have picked this up in the Summer sale! I love Dungeons of Dredmor and Rogue Legacy, this would have been worth buying.

I guess I'll buy it for full price next paycheck then!

Spectone

Added it to my Steam wishlist. Sounds really good. I used to play Moria on the Atari ST and Angband on PC under Linux.

Victrix

*beard*
This looks really good. So it does procedurally generate, but only when you start a completely new game?

The world and all the dungeon locations are generated afresh on a new game start, and when you actually enter a dungeon it is randomly generated at that point. Most dungeons are fairly short (2-4 floors or so, depending on the type in question), so you spend a lot of time bouncing between different locations - it has a certain flow to it, sack a dungeon, gather the loot, regroup at the academy and identify all your goodies, re-equip, restock, and head to the next one.

There are some fixed areas, there's a guaranteed midgame and endgame dungeon that are always present, and some other dungeon types have hand built sections.

Pretty much every dungeon type has something special about its layout, monsters, or rewards - normal dungeons look like the halls and doors and rooms type you'd expect in a 'normal' dungeon crawler, Towers always have vaults filled with gold and a powerful Warlord at the top, Graveyards have an actual graveyard level and then crypts below that have unique patterns with special rewards from their bosses, Temples have a distinct layout and a unique boss type, as do Caves, and so on.

You can also generate new dungeons at Inns by asking for rumors from the innkeeper (or if you really want, regenerate the entire overworld at the academy without losing your academy/character progress).

Victrix

*beard*
Bumping this up because the dlc came out today

What sort of for pay power do you get in a roguelike? Pay2lose of course.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/636410/Dungeonmans__Pay2Lose/
Dungeonmans said:
Crush more monsters, get less loot, and discover all new ways to end up as bloody Triger Chow! Die of starvation, suffer crippling wounds, and watch your gear crumble into broken shards! Over 100 fine tuned difficulty options to challenge yourself, with new Leaderboards so you can dunk on your chump friends.
No new powers, no new items, just determination, suffering, and defeat. Your only rewards are bragging rights and the ability to look yourself in the mirror with a renewed sense of purpose and stremf. Pay2Lose!

• Turn on new Survival and "realism" features then make them as brutal as you please.
  • Share your settings with friends and compete in Weekly Trials!
  • Make enemies healthier, have them hit harder, and give them unfair, broken powers.
  • Tune difficulty for Champions, Ancient Kings, Bosses and Warlords.
  • Gimp yourself! Poison all your potions, cap your stats, give yourself a Trick Knee.
  • No bonus experience, no extra loot.
  • Does not require a new Academy, and is compatible with Ironmans mode.

RBWKjM.jpg

It's a huge set of optional challenges you can mix and match in any which way. Save challenge sets as a code, share them, download a weekly challenge, whatever suits your masochistic tendencies.

Since last year when I posted this, there have been even more updates - Wizardmans got a complete revamp, lots of fixes and tweaks, and very recently, he added an adventure map system.

Path of Exile fans will probably grok this pretty fast, but it's basically a way to find maps that lead to dungeons that have superpowered enemies - and in exchange you get superpowered loot out of them.

It's a cool system, and just one of many.

The map update, wizard update, and all the other updates have all been free, only the optional challenge stuff in the P2L dlc has a pricetag attached, and for $5 it's not much of an ask.

(and note that while the dlc explicitly says no new monsters/loot, plenty have been added free of charge to the base game just in the last year since I posted this)

Still one of my favorite roguelikes, so I had to at least give it a bump for the dlc.

Definitely a great idea for a bit of DLC that entirely seems like the sort of thing this game, of all games, would've pulled out of the old top hat.

Nymerio

Whoever recommended this in one of the steam summer sale threads: thank you. Game is amazing.

Anyone still playing this? I just joined the game's discord and there are even custom character skins floating around.

Mikke

Picked this up during the summer sale as well.
I really like it. Haven't gotten very far, just lost my second character.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm always playing it on and off. If you have any questions, you can post them here.

I'd recommend joining the Discord if you want fast advice though, it is great. I'll add that to the OP. Lots of friendly people and the dev is always active on there.

https://discord.gg/k724Hbw

Victrix

*beard*
Found gifs of the new ranger skills :D

DrlMuaq.gif

41aXhKh.gif

edit:

Game of Thrones sprites for your heroes https://imgur.com/a/UOuFM

M9qfIpB.png

tfPmrww.png

rRL5PB7.png

FGmu1Yx.png

synth said:
Extract this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FVrpffUN40LXAybVhULVNzVEU in your modcontent directory which should be
Code:
C:\Users\(YOURNAMEHERE)\AppData\Roaming\Dungeonmans\modcontent

annnnd

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FVrpffUN40MV9FV2xaZC1wQ3M

Photoshop template for creating new ones if you happen to have Photoshop handy (to be clear, you don't need PS to do this, you can create them from anything, but this template just makes it super simple)

0purUJK.png

synth said:
All you have to do is put a cleaned up sprite inside the smart object (main template view on left, smart object on right) then save the smart object. The main template file will update and you can save for web to get a usable file! There's size guides in the smart object which refers to a standard build player standing straight up.

And last note, the dev is streaming Ludum Dare all weekend http://twitch.tv/playdungeonmans (if you're not familiar, it's a 48 hour game jam with a community chosen theme: http://ludumdare.com/compo/)

Top Bottom