• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint Announced for PlayStation VR

Tigress

*Sigh* So I originally put in a pre order for PSVR thinking if a game came out that would make me want to play it I'd keep it (I want VR to take off). Then they announced Fallout VR which I'm sure won't come to PSVR (I'm not even sure Neo would be able ot handle it but anyways i won't find out until next year for certain if there is any hope of it). So I was thinking I'd just make a PC and get a Vive cause Fallout would totally sell VR to me.

But this looks good. And I already partly don't want to cancel my PSVR order (I really can't justify both though). And patience has never been a virtue of mine (waiting a year to find out how things shake out).

Grrr... I'm horrible about making a decision.

oktarb

They had to cancel a massive demo they had planned for E3 due to the tragic Florida shooting. They felt it was too close to the event to bring out a gun shooting VR experience.

Be patient. This game is going to nuke brains.

Wollan

Hardcoregamer awarded Farpoint the Best PS4 Game of E3. Better luck next time Horizon & God of War: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/06/23/best-of-e3-2016-day-four-pc-ps4-xbo-wiiu-3ds-psv/213958/
Sony made a lot of fans happy this E3. We got a new God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn still looks gorgeous and Detroit: Become Human looks like a vast improvement over Beyond: Two Souls. There was one game, however, that literally came out of nowhere to impress us: Farpoint. VR is going to be big and Farpoint could be the PS VR’s killer app. A full first-person shooter for VR, Farpoint blew us away in ways that other PS4 games couldn’t. While the game was not as flashy as other PS4 titles, Farpoint’s implementation of the Aim Controller had us utterly lost in its world. Farpoint is not just one of the most exciting things to happen to VR, it was also the best PS4 game Sony had to offer.

Pif

Banned
So this game won't be playable with normal move+navigator combo?

This shit is gonna cost over 100 bucks.

So this game won't be playable with normal move+navigator combo?

This shit is gonna cost over 100 bucks.
The gun is a little less complicated to build than a DS4. Farpoint is billed as five hours, as I recall. They'll probably do the gun for $50-$60, and include the game for free.

Edit: Potentially cheaper, if they want to drive adoption. DS4 is less than $20 to build.

Gusto

My son played it at E3 and loved the sh*t out of it. He said that he put on the PS VR headset and then they told him to grab the gun and that blew his mind, when he saw the gun and reached out and it was here.

Most VR games look grainy and kinda strange. My son said that this game looked as good as the demo monitor. Rigs looked great on monitor and I thought bad in VR. I also played that don't talk game and it also looked bad in VR. My son knows games and he said that this game is the real deal.

My son played it at E3 and loved the sh*t out of it. He said that he put on the PS VR headset and then they told him to grab the gun and that blew his mind, when he saw the gun and reached out and it was here.

Most VR games look grainy and kinda strange. My son said that this game looked as good as the demo monitor. Rigs looked great on monitor and I thought bad in VR. I also played that don't talk game and it also looked bad in VR. My son knows games and he said that this game is the real deal.

When you say bad do you mean Gear VR bad or just not HTC Vive good?

Grinchy

Banned
This is one of the launch PSVR games that surprise me visually. When you look at a lot of VR software, even on PC, this seems to blow 95% of it out of the water, graphically.

J-Skee

They had to cancel a massive demo they had planned for E3 due to the tragic Florida shooting. They felt it was too close to the event to bring out a gun shooting VR experience.

Be patient. This game is going to nuke brains.

That sucks. Sony seems really behind this & the massive ad they had up proves it.

So, can someone who knows VR explain to me how this game seems to have built in movement, while so many other FPS games in VR seem to favor the whole teleportation thing? I thought that was to alleviate motion sickness.

Is it the speed of movement or just an issue with the controller having a stick?

So, can someone who knows VR explain to me how this game seems to have built in movement, while so many other FPS games in VR seem to favor the whole teleportation thing? I thought that was to alleviate motion sickness.

Is it the speed of movement or just an issue with the controller having a stick?

I think I read somewhere that they designed the level and enemy encounter so you don't do a lot of rotation left and right, so enemies usually come from 1 direction, and the level are also designed that you usually just move forward with slight directional changes, so there's little or no instance where you move and have to turn like 90 degree left or right immediately.

Here

There was still one problem, though: first-person shooters weren’t supposed to work in VR. The fast-twitch reaction times and high rate of speed, everyone thought, was a recipe for inescapable simulator sickness.
"Without detached aiming,” Luisi says, “you’re stuck with either using your head to aim or moving the whole screen or some sort of cursor in the world—and none of that is intuitive.” People have kludged together gun-like peripherals before, and Sony’s London Studio has used the Playstation Move controller to allow players to pick up and manipulate objects in virtual space. Impulse Gear’s solution was a little bit of both: Based on Luisi’s earlier work with the Sharpshooter, they 3D-printed a prototype combining Playstation Move and navigation controllers and the guts of a PS3 Dualshock 3 controller. The result offered aiming speed and accuracy that fit VR needs perfectly.

Then the Impulse Gear team found some creative ways to overcome the other issues. Setting the demo on an alien planet allowed them to boost player speed to 6 meters/second—more than three times what people thought could work. The reason is scale. “When you put someone in a hallway,” Luisi says, “they have an understanding of the size of a hallway, ceilings, doorways; if you’re moving that fast you feel like you’re moving that fast.” Keeping the landscape unfamiliar and the distances between objects much greater than they would be in a conventional shooter helps mitigate the effects of your running speed.
http://www.wired.com/2015/06/sony-morpheus/

(This was an article from when this was a tech demo and not even a game yet!)

Top Bottom