• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about how sweet it'll be for Nintendo to consolidate 100% of their output

Jubenhimer

While I do think Nintendo is aiming for software unification, I think people are taking the Eurogamer rumor too seriously. No matter how Credible Eurogamer may be, it's still a rumor, and like all rumors, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Neiteio

Wii u had about 3 Nintendo games in 2016?

6 games a year?! sweeeeeeet
WiiU has a dry spell in 2016 because Nintendo is shifting resources to the NX (which was delayed) while continuing to focus on the 3DS.

Look back to 2014 or 2015, and combine the total number of 3DS games and WiiU games in those years for a better idea of Nintendo's yearly output when they're not in transition.

Hint: It's a lot of games. A lot of quality games. Enough to appease each system's fans in those years, and more than enough if all on one system.

Eliminating the drought should get the system off to a stronger start. And that stronger start should entice more companies to support it.

But we'll see. I think it's the best route they can take, and it appears they're taking it (if Eurogamer, Kotaku, IGN, etc, are to be believed).

Neiteio

While I do think Nintendo is aiming for software unification, I think people are taking the Eurogamer rumor too seriously. No matter how Credible Eurogamer may be, it's still a rumor, and like all rumors, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Of course. There's an implicit asterisk to the effect we're discussing the implications of something that could be true but has not been officially confirmed. That's still a valid line of discussion, though.

Yeah I came here to post this.

It's a travesty they never released an actual AC game for Wii U, even though they already have all the HD assets made for the amiibo game and the AC crowd demo or whatever it's called.

I think the assets were made for a Wii U AC game, but that game was shuffled over to the NX once it became clear that the Wii U was a dead system.

Instead of creating 700 models on a low resolution screen, Game Freak would have to create 700+ models IN HD.
They already made all the models in HD. (I believe this video explains it) They actually use these same HD models for Go and other HD mobile apps in addition to the 3DS games, though of course they use different lighting engines to get the look they want for a particular title.

They just try to scale those models down for the 3DS but of course it doesn't work that well in regards to performance. lol

ffdgh

I don't know...Reasonably it sounds like a cool Idea but I can't help being somewhat cynical if this rumor is true. Oh well time will tell.

Neiteio

I think the assets were made for a Wii U AC game, but that game was shuffled over to the NX once it became clear that the Wii U was a dead system.

They already made all the models in HD. (I believe this video explains it) They actually use these same HD models for Go and other HD mobile apps in addition to the 3DS games, though of course they use different lighting engines to get the look they want for a particular title.

They just try to scale those models down for the 3DS but of course it doesn't work that well in regards to performance. lol
Yep, this means Nintendo already has HD models for every Animal Crossing villager and HD models for every Pokemon ready to go. Which means those two series, which historically drive portable sales, will be in a good position to drive hybrid sales, as well, since they're already primed for HD.

Yeah, if the quality is actually more home console than handheld, they'll took more time to develop. I'm worried about prices too...

They recently mentioned the need for an engine that can be shared with their teams. If they have a proper engine built that is optimized for the device and can be utilized by all first party studios it should help some with the development times.

I do think we will see prices more in line with console games. That said some titles on Wii U were budget priced.

Sweet?

What is sweet about handheld gaming compared to console gaming? Portability just means easier setup, not better game experience.

What is sweet about the power of console gaming from Nintendo being diminished in a anti-competitor defeatist stance?

If the news is true Nintendo has allowed themselves to be perverted by weak ideologies of its casual fans.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Keep in mind that this doesn't mean Nintendo is dedicating 100% of their resources to the NX. In fact, it's just a different distribution of resources.

Mobile <-----> NX Systems <------> QoL

3DS <--------> Wii U

Game Boy Advance <-----------> GameCube <------------> Pokémon Mini

Super Nintendo <-----------------> Game Boy <-------------> Virtual Boy

Neoxon

As mentioned in the Eurogamer NX thread, this hybrid would force Game Freak into making a console-quality mainline Pokémon game, something that fans wanted for years. The same goes for Capcom making a console-quality mainline Monster Hunter game that doesn't rely on older assets like past main MH games.

Neiteio

Sweet?

What is sweet about handheld gaming compared to console gaming? Portability just means easier setup, not better game experience.

What is sweet about the power of console gaming from Nintendo being diminished in a anti-competitor defeatist stance?

If the news is true Nintendo has allowed themselves to be perverted by weak ideologies of its casual fans.
Portability means being able to play anywhere you want at any time. That's especially appealing in places like Japan where virtually all traditional gaming is done that way. But it's also human nature to like options.

In terms of power, I'm not too concerned. Most of the chip discussion in the other thread seemed to conclude this will at least out-perform the WiiU. If so, that's more than enough for me. I regularly play my PS4 but still think many WiiU games look gorgeous.

If it's not enough power to attract third-party titles, that's fine. I have a PS4 for that. I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. If the rumors are true, NX will have twice as many Nintendo games as any system before it, since it'll have 100% of the output instead of 50%.

That's pretty sweet.

Yes, relaxing on the couch to play a new Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing has me very excited. Plus hopefully this will open new avenues since they don't necessarily need to just fill out one library or the other to balance out their schedule.

WiiU has a dry spell in 2016 because Nintendo is shifting resources to the NX (which was delayed) while continuing to focus on the 3DS.

Look back to 2014 or 2015, and combine the total number of 3DS games and WiiU games in those years for a better idea of Nintendo's yearly output when they're not in transition.

Hint: It's a lot of games. A lot of quality games. Enough to appease each system's fans in those years, and more than enough if all on one system.

Eliminating the drought should get the system off to a stronger start. And that stronger start should entice more companies to support it.

But we'll see. I think it's the best route they can take, and it appears they're taking it (if Eurogamer, Kotaku, IGN, etc, are to be believed).

Yep. It really does seem to be their best option. They weren't going to get major third party support from the start. This will ensure they can support the device and avoid droughts.

This is what I'm fuckin excited about. Someone mentioned it back when the rumors first started and it blew my mind.

It's going to be SWEEEEEEEEEET

Neoxon

In the case of Pokémon, Game Freak at least future-proofed themselves by making the models used in the 3DS games super-detailed (hence why the recent mainline games run like shit on the 3DS). It's Capcom's MH team that I'm worried about in terms of moving main Monster Hunter games to HD, but I suppose they have a fair bit of HD experience already thanks to the Frontier games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super stoked about that aspect of it, and being able to play everything on the big screen rather than suffer through great games on tiny portable screens.

Ansatz

Taking today's rumor out entirely, I still think it's worth tolling the virtues of nintendo consolidating their development.

If you look at nintendo's output every year across BOTH handheld AND console - they do quite a bit - but only the fans who own both systems get to benefit. I rarely feel like they're not putting out enough games because I'm always playing something on one system or the other.

It changes perception of drought, which is a good thing. Ideally nintendo's 'increased' output leads to a decent install base which leads to more 3rd party.

We'll see.

This. A single platform bombarded with Nintendo games will help to change the perception surrounding drought periods. It's was crucial they'd do it this gen given the inevitable lack of 3rd party support.

Keep in mind that this doesn't mean Nintendo is dedicating 100% of their resources to the NX. In fact, it's just a different distribution of resources.

True. I would imagine we'd get at least 1.5 times the output of a typical Nintendo 1st party console library though, which is still a significant change. I doubt it means the return of fan favorites such as 'proper' F-Zero and Star Fox entries, but it will be interesting to see what they'll do since it frees up the need to rush out two versions of 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing to help drive the install base early in the lifecycle of both systems.

It's definitely the most exciting aspect of this rumour for me. And it could mean great things for games like Animal Crossing.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together, and what the NX is truly like. Hopefully the September unveiling is true, because I can't wait much longer!

Neiteio

I just realized: We're going to need a port of the Bayonetta collection so I can get my Pure Platinum fix on the go.

Alternatively, I'd also accept Bayonetta 3.

Gxgear

Double-edged sword I would say. It's great to be able to enjoy all of Nintendo's offerings on one system, as I only have the 3DS and can't justify purchasing a WiiU for games like The Wonderful 101 or Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE. On the other hand, with Nintendo scaling back the power in order to accommodate the handheld/console hybrid, would those potential games that made me want to buy a Nintendo console in the first place be lost?

As mentioned in the Eurogamer NX thread, this hybrid would force Game Freak into making a console-quality mainline Pokémon game, something that fans wanted for years.
Nah, it'll probably just look similar to Sun and Moon but in a higher resolution. And it'll probably be 720p (or worse) on your TV with a designed-for-handheld interface and no AA so it won't look too great anyways.

Neiteio

Double-edged sword I would say. It's great to be able to enjoy all of Nintendo's offerings on one system, as I only have the 3DS and can't justify purchasing a WiiU for games like The Wonderful 101 or Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE. On the other hand, with Nintendo scaling back the power in order to accommodate the handheld/console hybrid, would those potential games that made me want to buy a Nintendo console in the first place be lost?
From the sounds of the other thread, we're looking at something potentially stronger than WiiU here. If so, we'd get everything we have now, but better.

Portability means being able to play anywhere you want at any time. That's especially appealing in places like Japan where virtually all traditional gaming is done that way. But it's also human nature to like options.
So? Portable experiences are inferior to non-portable experiences.

In terms of power, I'm not too concerned. Most of the chip discussion in the other thread seemed to conclude this will at least out-perform the WiiU. If so, that's more than enough for me. I regularly play my PS4 but still think many WiiU games look gorgeous.
You're not too concerned because you don't see that releasing an underpowered console is going to kill Nintendo. You want Nintendo to be weak and Sony to be strong.

If it's not enough power to attract third-party titles, that's fine. I have a PS4 for that. I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. If the rumors are true, NX will have twice as many Nintendo games as any system before it, since it'll have 100% of the output instead of 50%.

That's pretty sweet.
So it's fine Nintendo's third party support is dominated by Sony's third party support?

Everything in your post screams weakness.

Sadist

I'm getting (or in this case wishful thinking) the next 3D Mario, big Zelda game, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Monolithsoft project, Pikmin etc. on one singular platform which I can use as an handheld or console.

Pretty sweet I hope.

The hell is this?

Mediking

The 3 SKUs rumor doesn't sound too good to me. Just make an amazing hybrid that has high quality Nintendo 1st party games and Japanese games and fight to get the huge Western games.

Neiteio

Nah, it'll probably just look similar to Sun and Moon but in a higher resolution. And it'll probably be 720p (or worse) on your TV with a designed-for-handheld interface and no AA so it won't look too great anyways.
I think an NX Pokemon game would look like Sun and Moon with improved lighting and textures at 720p, with a smoother frame rate, anti-aliasing, etc. Similar poly counts on character models, and similar level geometry, but with more bells and whistles enabled thanks to the inherent bump in power.

Neiteio ignore the Troll.

I just want to see what kind of games this thing gets. Give it a healthy stream of games from the 3DS and Wii U devs and try to divert the Vita audience and developers to this machine and Nintendo's got a winner as far as I'm concerned.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Let's also talk about their gaming output focusing on games tailored for handheld gaming over traditional console blockbusters. Because that will be the eventual consequence to all this consolidation and a handheld as their primary platform.

It can play Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nintendo's biggest game to date. Should play a lot of those games just fine and having a (potentially) larger installbase would help Nintendo make these games

Let's also talk about their gaming output focusing on games tailored for handheld gaming over traditional console blockbusters. Because that will be the eventual consequence to all this consolidation and a handheld as their primary platform.

Ultimately depends on what kind of game they want to make. With a machine this strong, they aren't really limited unless they choose to limit themselves, and that's basically unpredictable.

Nanashrew

Banned
Depends on if they make handheld games, or console games.

They could still make both kinds and do a lot of price ranges for the types of games they make.

It can play Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nintendo's biggest game to date. Should play a lot of those games just fine and having a (potentially) larger installbase would help Nintendo make these games

It's also getting the new Sonic game.

Neiteio

You're not too concerned because you don't see that releasing an underpowered console is going to kill Nintendo. You want Nintendo to be weak and Sony to be strong.

So it's fine Nintendo's third party support is dominated by Sony's third party support?

Everything in your post screams weakness.
I... apologize if I'm not being as aggressive as you think I should be!

I think Nintendo coexists fine alongside Sony. And by focusing on one system and doubling their output, they'll balance their release schedule and avoid the droughts that occur on two systems. Not to mention that Nintendo will be the only one offering traditional gaming in the handheld space. That may be a niche market these days, but it'll be all theirs. Especially with the extra selling point of "also plays on your TV!"

And like I said, WiiU games look great. This potentially being better than WiiU only means good things.

The 3 SKUs rumor doesn't sound too good to me. Just make an amazing hybrid that has high quality Nintendo 1st party games and Japanese games and fight to get the huge Western games.
I didn't hear that rumor about three SKUs. Can someone fill me in?

Sadist

*Looks at 3DS output*

Yeaaaah, I'd wait for a bit longer to make such claims.

Handhelds are weaklings to the console, the arcade, and the computer. Thus they produce inferior experiences. Pretty simple.
Uhuh.

Guess we differ in opinion then. Played lots of great handheld games that blow console games out of the water. But seeing you're not open for discussion and clearly made up your mind, I won't waste any time on this. Sheesh.

Handhelds are weaklings to the console, the arcade, and the computer. Thus they produce inferior experiences. Pretty simple.

Yet many of my greatest gaming experiences are on the DS, one of the greatest gaming systems ever made. Remind me not to take you seriously in the future.

It means they can make a lot more big portable titles and mid tier console experiences. That's usually better than we get now a days. How many big blockbusters did Nintendo put out this gen? Xenoblade and Zelda?

Epcott

I'm getting flashbacks of Nintendo's output back in the days of NES and Famicom before Gameboy came onto the scene. The possibility of getting Super Mario NX 1, 2, and 3 on one console makes me giddy.

Buuuuut, as amazing as it sounds, I'm going to wait this time before hopping on the GAF powered Hype-Train.

Neiteio

Not necessarily. Technically, the WiiU GamePad already allows you to enjoy console games on a portable form factor. This just removes the wireless tether and dramatically increases the number of games.

Also: The big 3DS games are console-grade experiences in their own right. They're just as full-featured in every area except graphics. With the NX's mobile chip apparently offering WiiU-esque performance (or better), I don't think graphics will be a concern here, either.

AniHawk

i'm hoping that the 15-20 games nintendo publishes a year mostly goes to nx. it makes sense if qol and mobile get some of that, but it should be a much better split than the juggling act they were performing with the handheld/console scene. nintendo doesn't need to build a fanbase on mobile in order to sell hardware in order to sell software - they can more or less take their time there. nx should be getting at least one first party game a month, on average.

They could still make both kinds and do a lot of price ranges for the types of games they make.

It's also getting the new Sonic game.
It's weird that we can't determine the power yet despite knowing a couple of games for it.
DQXI has a 3DS version, BoTW is a Wii U game, Just Dance can run on Wii, and Sonic is oddly the closest but we still don't know what that game looks like

Neiteio

It means they can make a lot more big portable titles and mid tier console experiences. That's usually better than we get now a days. How many big blockbusters did Nintendo put out this gen? Xenoblade and Zelda?
What's your definition of a "big blockbuster?" I'd include both Smash Bros., both 3D Mario Karts, both 3D Marios, Mario Maker, Splatoon, etc.

Neiteio

i'm hoping that the 15-20 games nintendo publishes a year mostly goes to nx. it makes sense if qol and mobile get some of that, but it should be a much better split than the juggling act they were performing with the handheld/console scene. nintendo doesn't need to build a fanbase on mobile in order to sell hardware in order to sell software - they can more or less take their time there. nx should be getting at least one first party game a month, on average.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. However you look at it, it should be a marked improvement in terms of output.

Top Bottom