• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about how sweet it'll be for Nintendo to consolidate 100% of their output

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is the main reason I am excited for this console.

I love Nintendo's games but generally dislike their hardware and I wound up buying neither a 3DS or Wii U because I couldn't decide which segment of Nintendo's output I wanted to play and justify the cost of it. Especially with game prices never dropping and how infrequently games actually come out that I would buy on each system

The unified output guarantees I will pick up this console and makes it more likely for me to pick it up at a higher price because of a more steady release of games.

The Hermit

I have a 3DS and a WiiU, but there are so many times I wish one game was on te other platform and vice versa.

Kid Icarus, Monster Hunter 4/Generations on te WiiU.

Super Mário WiiU and Wonderful 101 on the 3DS.

This is a dream to me

I... apologize if I'm not being as aggressive as you think I should be!

I think Nintendo coexists fine alongside Sony. And by focusing on one system and doubling their output, they'll balance their release schedule and avoid the droughts that occur on two systems. Not to mention that Nintendo will be the only one offering traditional gaming in the handheld space. That may be a niche market these days, but it'll be all theirs. Especially with the extra selling point of "also plays on your TV!"

And like I said, WiiU games look great. This potentially being better than WiiU only means good things.

I didn't hear that rumor about three SKUs. Can someone fill me in?

Nintendo is not coexisting with Sony anymore because they are not in their hardware generation.

Doubling their output goes against the "quality over quantity" core ideology of the company. It won't even help them because they're essentially going to fill in for absent third parties. These third parties will shit on the system just like they did the weakass Wii console because Nintendo is not taking the hardware race seriously, thus less serious games.

What is the point of Nintendo having a niche in a dead market? Let the indie devs or cellphone apps companies waste their time providing inferior experiences. Nintendo does not need to go downwards to join them.

You won't notice the difference between NX and Wii U because there won't be any if the specs are accurate. Just like how Nintendo released a "more powerful" Wii you are going to see the same effort here.

Nintendo has to return to power, not weakness. They cannot allow themselves to become perverted by casuals who are actively sinking the company into the ground.

Malus

It'll be awesome. The prospect of a 100% shared library was probably the most exciting possibility being brought up in rumors. I'm also glad to see 3DS level hardware finally being left behind.

Neiteio

Vert1, Nintendo would be delivering the same number of quality games they delivered on 3DS, and the same number of quality games they delivered on WiiU — but they will be on one system, and driving sales of one system, instead of divided across two systems.

There's no "quality over quantity" concern here. It's the same quantity of the 3DS + WiiU, but on one system instead of two. This has no impact on quality. It's the same level of quality, on one system in great numbers.

Something with the combined library of the 3DS and WiiU should do more than fine, given those systems managed to survive with half the output/variety. This will also give NX a better chance of snowballing to draw third-party support, by avoiding droughts and selling at a decent rate.

It's their best bet. Certainly better than an escalating arms race/race to the bottom with the spiraling costs of Microsoft and Sony.

Mediking

Nintendo is not coexisting with Sony anymore because they are not in their hardware generation.

Doubling their output goes against the "quality over quantity" core ideology of the company. It won't even help them because they're essentially going to fill in for absent third parties. These third parties will shit on the system just like they did the weakass Wii console because Nintendo is not taking the hardware race seriously, thus less serious games.

What is the point of Nintendo having a niche in a dead market? Let the indie devs or cellphone apps companies waste their time providing inferior experiences. Nintendo does not need to go downwards to join them.

You won't notice the difference between NX and Wii U because there won't be any if the specs are accurate. Just like how Nintendo released a "more powerful" Wii you are going to see the same effort here.

Nintendo has to return to power, not weakness. They cannot allow themselves to become perverted by casuals who are actively sinking the company into the ground.

New Smash, new Splatoon, new 3D Mario, new Zelda, new Fire Emblem, new Mario Kart, new Animal Crossing... the list runs on. The "any age can play" mentality Nintendo has really works for them.... most of the time.

Breh lets wait til they reveal it
^

I think Nintendo + third parties will end up having their teams working for one shared architecture regardless of how the NX actually turns out, though. Seems like that was the plan from earlier on, anyway, and it's one that'll hopefully mean more output.

EhoaVash

It's nice for me as a Nintendo fan, no more buying two separate devices, pokemon finally on the Tv and in HD.

For Nintendo fans drought might not even be a thing anymore from Nintendo. With both their handheld and console division focusing on 1 hardware, the can release new games like every single month and not have to deal with getting unreliable 3rd party games to solve the drought.

This thing might get Japanese 3rd party support but nah western support is going to be nonexistent and you know what? I don't care lol. No more droights yay but people into 3rd party, shame shame shame poo lol

maxcriden

I don't like it all. I mostly play my 3DS at home or close to home so I'd rather just have a more powerful console that isn't held back by handheld limitations. Wouldn't this just cause more work for them in the long run?

Instead of creating 700 models on a low resolution screen, Game Freak would have to create 700+ models IN HD.

One thing that may reassure you is looking at emulators that show off just how damn good DS and 3DS games look simply upscaled to HD. I don't know that they would definitively need to do that much more work to make them look serviceable, and if they share engines across games more and more that will help them also. As others have said, surely the Amiibo Festival HD models will be used for the next AC game.

maxcriden

Yeah, so that's the upside of it, insted of having to split their resources between portable and big screen Nintendo can focus on just one system. Downside is, said system is likely going to be ipad 'portable' instead of 3ds portable and as a big screen console very underwhelming next to everything else out there. Meh..

I'm not convinced it's going to be that big. The JP market aa I understand it is not as keen on larger portables.

Plus, I imagine portability will be a major selling point.

maxcriden

The 3 SKUs rumor doesn't sound too good to me. Just make an amazing hybrid that has high quality Nintendo 1st party games and Japanese games and fight to get the huge Western games.

Apparently... the bomb will be dropped that Nintendo is actually doing a somewhat powerful Nintendo console AND this hybrid thing AND another thing.

But isn't that a 10k rumor? If so, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Right...is this just the 10k rumor? I thought he'd said hybrid and console, didn't hear about a third thing but maybe I missed it...or does this come from a different source, Meddling?

Gxgear

From the sounds of the other thread, we're looking at something potentially stronger than WiiU here. If so, we'd get everything we have now, but better.

It can play Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nintendo's biggest game to date. Should play a lot of those games just fine and having a (potentially) larger installbase would help Nintendo make these games

Regarding my hypothetical musing it's more like, if WiiU had gone the hybrid route, would we have seen the likes of Xenoblade, Pikmin 3, TMS FE, The Wonderful 101, etc? I realize that Xenoblade did eventually get a 3DS port in Chronicles, but performance-wise it took a huge hit and was only playable on the New 3DS model.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I feel like half of the 3DS-equivalent games that would've been made, won't, due to the budgetary constraints that arise from making a full fledged console game.

Regarding my hypothetical musing it's more like, if WiiU had gone the hybrid route, would we have seen the likes of Xenoblade, Pikmin 3, TMS FE, The Wonderful 101, etc? I realize that Xenoblade did eventually get a 3DS port in Chronicles, but performance-wise it took a huge hit and was only playable on the New 3DS model.
Pikmin and TMS? Definitely.
W101 isn't a technical too demanding.
Xenoblade is probably the only one that truly took advantage of Wii U

psyfi

Banned
I'm seriously so excited for this new Nintendo software reality.

I feel like half of the 3DS-equivalent games that would've been made, won't, due to the budgetary constraints that arise from making a full fledged console game.
Look at all the indie games on XB1 and PS4, though. The NX may not ever have great third party AAA support, but it could be a great home for indies and lower budget titles from big pubs.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm seriously so excited for this new Nintendo software reality.

Look at all the indie games on XB1 and PS4, though. The NX may not ever have great third party AAA support, but it could be a great home for indies and lower budget titles from big pubs.
Sure, I just meant like the Bravely Defaults, all the Atlus RPGs, etc, that probably didn't have the resources of a let's say Persona, FF15 or even Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I'm excited about the console, just worried about the midrange titles having to up their game or not appearing at all.

psyfi

Banned
Sure, I just meant like the Bravely Defaults, all the Atlus RPGs, etc, that probably didn't have the resources of a let's say Persona or FF15. I'm excited about the console, just worried about the midrange titles having to up their game or not appearing at all.
Ah gotcha, yeah, I'm worried about that too. I think there's room though. Consoles got Child of Light, Banner Saga, etc though The interest on the part of gamers is there if developers and pubs are willing to step up.

True Fire

Pokemon Generation 8 on the same console as new mainline 3D Zelda and 3D Mario. Just imagine. It'll be Nintendo's best console for sure (though it probably won't be their best era if you combine DS/Wii and Gamecube/GBA)

From the sounds of the other thread, we're looking at something potentially stronger than WiiU here. If so, we'd get everything we have now, but better.

It's not potentially stronger. It will 100%, without a doubt, be stronger than Wii U.

Edit - Ahh, I see you watched the DF video. Good, good.

Simbabbad

Western 3rd parties probably won't support it because spec wise it's underpowered.
Western 3rd parties:

- Didn't develop for Wii U except when families were targeted or for a handful of indies. Both specific niches are still there and even favoured if what is described of NX is true.

- Didn't develop anything worthwhile for the Wii except niche, humble or weird stuff like Geometry Wars Galaxies, Kororinpa, Trauma Center, Pandora's Tower, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, de Blob, etc. That kind of software is more relevant to a console that also has access to the portable console audience, it's actually a perfect fit.

- Didn't develop much for the GameCube, especially exclusives. Since the GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 and yet didn't have nearly the same third party support, I don't see a successor of the Wii U having any sort of support whatsoever even if it's as powerful than the successor to the PS4 - which would also, incidentally, kill the company.

- Didn't even develop much for the N64.

On the other hand, not only 3DS support has been reasonable, but given the failure of the Vita, Sony is probably on its way out of the handheld business, meaning some of the development on that console could move to NX, especially since it'd be at last a competent handheld hardware-wise.

It's also possible Nintendo aims to attract more ports of mobile games with this move.

The overall NX library, in this configuration, would be better than any successor of the Wii U that'd be a strict home console could ever dream to be. I really wished I could have played Luigi's Mansion 2 on my TV, and on the other hand, playing Super Mario Maker on handheld would have been great.

You also wouldn't have headaches like Super Smash Bros Wii/3DS, that was a waste of resources.

Sure, I just meant like the Bravely Defaults, all the Atlus RPGs, etc, that probably didn't have the resources of a let's say Persona, FF15 or even Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I'm excited about the console, just worried about the midrange titles having to up their game or not appearing at all.

It would probably be just a like a vita jump. With the death of the Vita, NX is the next place that those devs would go to anyway.

I wonder what's going to happen to their more budget portable-designed games.

Would Link Between Worlds have happened in a world where this design choice happened earlier? Who would buy it after they just played a full 3D Zelda with glorious graphics?

Would Link Between Worlds have had better graphics in order to compete? But then, could it have been made as quickly by the same size team? If they'd had to devote more resources to a game like that, how would it have affected the rest of their release schedule?

Anarky

Banned
Sweet?

What is sweet about handheld gaming compared to console gaming? Portability just means easier setup, not better game experience.

What is sweet about the power of console gaming from Nintendo being diminished in a anti-competitor defeatist stance?

If the news is true Nintendo has allowed themselves to be perverted by weak ideologies of its casual fans.

This sounds really weird in relation to talking about video games.

Simbabbad

Let's also talk about their gaming output focusing on games tailored for handheld gaming over traditional console blockbusters. Because that will be the eventual consequence to all this consolidation and a handheld as their primary platform.
That turn has been taken years ago. Please name me one single already released Wii U game that wouldn't make sense on handheld.

Would Link Between Worlds have happened in a world where this design choice happened earlier? Who would buy it after they just played a full 3D Zelda with glorious graphics?

Would Link Between Worlds have had better graphics in order to compete? But then, could it have been made as quickly by the same size team? If they'd had to devote more resources to a game like that, how would it have affected the rest of their release schedule?
The price would probably be different.

Or they'd choose another franchise to make that sort of game.

?oe?oe

The Japanese 3DS and Vita devs gotta go somewhere. Why not the next handheld?

Like there are any Western handheld devs heh.

Absolutely.
I don't think Nintendo truly took full advantage of Wii U outside of Xenoblade and Zelda so it'll probably be nice to see them being able to use what they learned with the improved tech
Also hope the dock improves power. I imagine not being down clocked for battery reasons helps as well as the supplemental computing patent.
Maybe the games can be 540p on the handheld and use the dock for 1080p. That would be pretty sweet.

Mediking

Right...is this just the 10k rumor? I thought he'd said hybrid and console, didn't hear about a third thing but maybe I missed it...or does this come from a different source, Meddling?

Nah it came from 10K. Hahah I hope that 3 SKU thing isn't true

Drain You

Hypothetically I would love it. I've bought ever Nintendo home console since I was old enough to afford it. Being able to play everything on one system would be amazing. Would love to see how Nintendo would pull this off. Do I think it's true? I dunno, but I'd be down.

maxcriden

I think it would've been made largely the same, really. The Zelda team will still strive to make more 2D Zelda games.

Nah it came from 10K. Hahah I hope that 3 SKU thing isn't true

Oh, gotcha. Thanks. I hope so too. Sorry about the autocorrect on your name!

Mediking

I'm pretty sure Iwata was the one that mentioned 3 potential SKUs. That with a NintendOS they could develop for multiple systems increasing the number of form factors instead of decreasing.

I think it would've been made largely the same, really. The Zelda team will still strive to make more 2D Zelda games.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks. I hope so too. Sorry about the autocorrect on your name!

Hahahaahah yeah. Hopefully this hybrid thing comes out victorious.

molnizzle

Pumped for this. Couldn't care less about third party support if all the Nintendo games are in one place — my TV. Fucking shit I hate handhelds. But now every Mario, Zelda, Pokémon (!), and Monster Hunter on my television like the good lord intended? Yessss

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
*Looks at 3DS output*

Yeaaaah, I'd wait for a bit longer to make such claims.

Yep, that market for simpler, pick up and play handheld games long ago jumped to phones and tablets.

The big money makers on 3DS are stuff like Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Mario 3D Land etc. that are pretty much full fledged, console like titles.

The portable market these days is just core/hardcore gamers that have some need/preference for portable gaming. Be it not owning a TV, living in a super small place, sharing the TV(s) with partners, kids, roommates etc., gaming time being during public transit commutes etc.

With a hybrid Nintendo reaches that crowd with all their games/franchises--including those that were just on consoles before. While still also reaching the console crowd, and also being able to give them access to previously handheld only IPs.

Plus it's not like many (or really any) of Nintendo's IPs are cinematic, spectacle driven games that suffer mightily if played on a portable vs. a big screen like we saw with Uncharted and similar early on with the Vita. Even less so if the NX in portable mode is closer to Wii U than Vita in performance level.

magnetic

Monster Hunter is an incredible series trapped on terrible hardware. I liked MH4U, but after playing a lot of Dark Souls 3 and Devil May Cry 4 at 60fps on PC, going back to the MH Generations demo was just unbearable. Watching footage of that chinese online MH shows how great those monsters look in proper resolution.

I love the idea of finally leaving this super outdated handheld tech from Nintendo behind and FINALLY getting a handheld with console level graphics. (The Vita was already halfway there.)

Ha, I did a little dance (well, half-assed shimmy) when I realised that the next Pokemon/Monster Hunter/Animal Crossing/Fire Emblem would hopefully have at least Wii U-tier graphics. It'll definitely be interesting to see if Nintendo ends up consolidating for bigger dev teams, or keeps a larger number of teams keep making more games.

MisterHero

You wouldn't have this problem of "droughts" if you just bought the gotdang Nintendo console/portables of their respective generation.

Hardware cost? Possibly yes. Software cost? Less versions to buy, but could also go higher across the board.

Nintendo will definitely benefit from unifying their teams though.

Mediking

The Japanese 3DS and Vita devs gotta go somewhere. Why not the next handheld?

Like there are any Western handheld devs heh.

And that pretty much sums up the situation...UNLESS...UNLESS... Nintendo finds a way for NX to be attractive to Rockstar or CDPR.

Epcott

Why do people think budget games, niche rpgs, and franchise spinoffs/smaller games (like Zelda ALBW) will cease to exist in a more consolidated pipeline?

Games like that still exist on PS4 and XBox One: Abzu, I am Setsuna, Disgaea, Hyper Light Drifter, Ori and the Blind Forest, Inside, and so on.

And there's no reason a team couldn't work on a smaller top down (traditional view) Zelda between BOTW and the Zelda to follow. It would be like as if they decided to never create another NSMB game between mainline Mario games. I believe this means they'll have larger staffs to work on their games, but they'll never stop making the "budget" or smaller games if there's innovation or profit to be had.

Top Bottom