• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Verelios

So you were exasperated for ... some reason and decide to put a placeholder vote on Sawneeks until you could figure why?

Also, saying there wasn't time for a follow-up? You choose to post all that forty minutes before we hit deadline. You had hours following your intial vote on her to post something. If you were worried about time why not wait until today. Why then?
Huh? Have you not been reading my posts? I was exasperated because it seemed like I was being used as a scum shield to take the heat off Sawneeks, if the heat ever reached her. Is that so hard to understand? Would it make more sense of I said I wasn't frustrated, just damn jolly? Man, I can't wait for another round of 'why rng', let's just go round the fire and dance? That's nonsense.

And I had something to do after I initially posted, came back to the thread expecting the game to end at 5 EST and faltered. So what? And you said, why then, why not then? I came back, went into the thread and started a post explaining my previous post.

Why are you so hung up on the time though?

Sawneeks

Banned
You'll see no such things from me. I may have liked Royal's suggestion, but my choice to vote off Bronx was my own, as are the consequences of that vote.

So why did you go for the inactive?? You had the ability to go for Melon but instead you stumbled on over to Bronx who was, imo, a very easy lynch target considering he was gone most of the Day.

I'm reiterating what Gorlak is saying but he makes a good point about that Melon discussion you keep wanting to discuss. Since he already got to the question I would have asked, I would like to see these discussion points you keep saying you wanted to bring up the last Day phase but didn't have the time to.

I find it very telling, hm, hm, very telling indeed that you didn't change your vote on me day 1 despite no one else latching on.

But-

Not a safe vote right. Hmmmmmmmm, yep

:/

I vote for who I believe is Scummy. Out of the 4 that were up on the previous Day phase ( Topo, Sophia, Bronx, and a No lynch option ) I was not as confident in any of them as I was about my scum read on you.

If you're really that concerned about 'safe voters' then you have a very large pool of people to look at. Gorlak, LP, Topo, Dusk, Melon, and FireBlend just to name those that were the only one to have a vote on a single person at Day End. You even called out Dusk on Day 1, not gonna follow up on that?

Or we can go back to yelling at each other since it looks like that's what you want. <3

What exactly were you implying here?

Ferret is implying that if you end up flipping Scum it doesn't mean that he is Scum with you. I currently Town read you so I don't believe that you and Ferret are Scum Buddies but on the chance that I'm wrong I wanted to point that out.

Verelios

I also want to say, get that hours bit outta here Melon, as if it's illogical to post and then leave the thread for awhile.

If you've never done it then please proceed.

Gorlak

Banned
El Topo let's cut the crap. This discussion won't help us in finding scum.

Pikachu is without a doubt the most well known Pkmn around the world. Yet within the fandom of Pkmn everyone agrees that Charizard is the cool guy. Look at various charts and votes, he's adored more than Pikachu, because he is useful in fights and really strong.
Anyway I'd say Pikachu would get another ability like not being able to be caught or something like that, but even that doesn't matter.
As you've clearly noted, I want Sophia to spill out more about her claim. I simply don't believe her, especially with that poor reasoning as to why she claimed.

Verelios

:/

I vote for who I believe is Scummy. Out of the 4 that were up on the previous Day phase ( Topo, Sophia, Bronx, and a No lynch option ) I was not as confident in any of them as I was about my scum read on you.

If you're really that concerned about 'safe voters' then you have a very large pool of people to look at. Gorlak, LP, Topo, Dusk, Melon, and FireBlend just to name those that were the only one to have a vote on a single person at Day End. You even called out Dusk on Day 1, not gonna follow up on that?

Or we can go back to yelling at each other since it looks like that's what you want
It's not that I'm trying to be difficult, but that I'm trying to have a discourse. As for your vote, I can tell you at this point that it absolutely does not help town, like, at all. What's different from a vote and a post analysis? One is a subjective opinion by a poster, the other is town's greatest weapon for hunting scum. That's it, there doesn't have to be a large divide because a vote is majorly what town depends on.

Sawneeks

Banned
I also want to say, get that hours bit outta here Melon, as if it's illogical to post and then leave the thread for awhile.

Yeah I'm going to agree here.

If you scum read someone that's fine but using time and timestamps against someone is not cool. If they didn't have time to post something then they didn't have the time.

Sophia

Dully noted that Gorlak is going hard on me out of the gate.

Looking over Barrylocke's posts, not much stood out at first glance. He was considered an inactive by Gorlack here, but later on he had enough posts that Fireblend was kind of excluding him from being counted as an inactive.

So why did you go for the inactive?? You had the ability to go for Melon but instead you stumbled on over to Bronx who was, imo, a very easy lynch target considering he was gone most of the Day.

I'm reiterating what Gorlak is saying but he makes a good point about that Melon discussion you keep wanting to discuss. Since he already got to the question I would have asked, I would like to see these discussion points you keep saying you wanted to bring up the last Day phase but didn't have the time to.

Bear with me, looking things over. However, if you were curious, it was these two posts...

On D1, everything is going to be a bit shallow. Agreed. However, getting so worked up in the quantity of posts from someone that is active and responding and attempting to scum hunt is weird to me.

The name dropping Sophia in this thread is kinda out of control.
LP has contributed to the discussion at large, unprompted I might add. El Topo only started getting serious when called out. I find the redirection towards Sophia far more damning personally.

... and specifically the bolded that made me start gut reading her as scum. However I wasn't 100% certain how to take these two comments.

Another person I was suspect about was Splinter because he usually butts heads with me, yet..

Glad we got a little Sophia bandwagon going. No way I'd actually lynch her today (a conversation driver lynched over D1 vibes? Please), and CM's vote comes late enough in the conversation to look opportunistic to me (plus I was already suspicious of him so thats all a neat little package).

... this seemed odd for him.

He did also mention Melon

I wanted to call out the melonrabbit but I see she has started posting reads at least, will wait to see the rest. Bronx has also promised reads soon™ so I'll wait for those before I pass judgement.

However, after that, he didn't say much of Melon. She was, however, absent from his list of people he wouldn't lynch.

I am against lynching:

Sophia
Salva
Nin
Darryl
Ty4on
Sawneeks
LP

And he did vote for her, so he was consistent there

Can we vote Flush or melon pls?

VOTE: melonrabbit

Bronx is ok but not very exciting.

So, not particularly scum reading Splinter right now.

Gorlak

Banned
There was one thing that stood out to me while reading the end of the day in retrospective. Blarg brought up the triangle discussion, like he wasn't here in the first place. He (intentionally or not, I can not say) made everyone talk about those three again. Just wanted to point that out.

Sawneeks

Banned
It's not that I'm trying to be difficult, but that I'm trying to have a discourse. As for your vote, I can tell you at this point that it absolutely does not help town, like, at all. What's different from a vote and a post analysis? One is a subjective opinion by a poster, the other is town's greatest weapon for hunting scum. That's it, there doesn't have to be a large divide because a vote is majorly what town depends on.

You realize that can be flipped around on you, correct? You're claiming that my vote on you is safe and doesn't help Town because no-one else voted for you and you were not at risk of being lynched. Yet you ended your vote on me, the person you just said would more-than-likely not be voted out last minute either.

Huh? Have you not been reading my posts? I was exasperated because it seemed like I was being used as a scum shield to take the heat off Sawneeks, if the heat ever reached her. Is that so hard to understand? Would it make more sense of I said I wasn't frustrated, just damn jolly? Man, I can't wait for another round of 'why rng', let's just go round the fire and dance? That's nonsense.

And I had something to do after I initially posted, came back to the thread expecting the game to end at 5 EST and faltered. So what? And you said, why then, why not then? I came back, went into the thread and started a post explaining my previous post.

Why are you so hung up on the time though?

Perhaps, I am missing something.

Why do/did you feel that you were being targeted? I'm trying to understand the order of events. But you said the vote was just a placeholder. Did you always intend to vote for her? Or did that happening during rereading the thread?

Fair enough. You expected another hour to work with. If you had that hour what would you have done?

I apologize. That was too much.

Gorlak

Banned
Sophia, in your post you point out the connection between melon and Splinter. And conclude with not scum reading Splinter.

I'd say if melon ends up being scum, we have to look at Splinter. First he prods a scum partner and late in the day when there was no danger of getting her lynched he parks his vote on the forementioned scumpartner to look good after a possible death of melon in the future. 1o1 scum play.

That being said I have no read on Splinter (one thing sticking in my mind was his subtle directing attention to Roy and not mentioning it ever again). Default null on Splinter means we should lynch him.

Sawneeks

Banned
Bear with me, looking things over. However, if you were curious, it was these two posts...

... and specifically the bolded that made me start gut reading her as scum. However I wasn't 100% certain how to take these two comments.

No worries, take your time.

And you gut read Melon as Scum because she keeps sort of bringing you up? Talk about paranoid. :p

There was one thing that stood out to me while reading the end of the day in retrospective. Blarg brought up the triangle discussion, like he wasn't here in the first place. He (intentionally or not, I can not say) made everyone talk about those three again. Just wanted to point that out.

Reminds me of another point. Blarg being weird ( surprise, surprise ) on Day 1 is fairly expected at this point but that vote on Sophia was weak, even for him. Usually Town!Blarg has some weird convoluted agenda but his votes typically make more sense then, well, a baseless fluff vote.

Sophia

Sophia, in your post you point out the connection between melon and Splinter. And conclude with not scum reading Splinter.

I'd say if melon ends up being scum, we have to look at Splinter. First he prods a scum partner and late in the day when there was no danger of getting her lynched he parks his vote on the forementioned scumpartner to look good after a possible death of melon in the future. 1o1 scum play.

That being said I have no read on Splinter (one thing sticking in my mind was his subtle directing attention to Roy and not mentioning it ever again). Default null on Splinter means we should lynch him.

I agree with that assessment in regards to looking at Splinter if Melon flips scum. And in fact, that probably should have what I done day 1, but well...

No worries, take your time.

And you gut read Melon as Scum because she keeps sort of bringing you up? Talk about paranoid. :p

Not really because she brought me up, rather how to put it... it seemed like an easy stance for scum to take? I wasn't certain on it at any rate, hence why I did not vote her at any time.

Verelios

You realize that can be flipped around on you, correct? You're claiming that my vote on you is safe and doesn't help Town because no-one else voted for you and you were not at risk of being lynched. Yet you ended your vote on me, the person you just said would more-than-likely not be voted out last minute either.
Well, yeah, if a last minute reversal happened and I had changed my vote so it didn't go through I'd probably die from regret. Still, largely what we did wasn't a help to town. I can admit that, and I'm willing to rectify that.
Perhaps, I am missing something.

Why do/did you feel that you were being targeted? I'm trying to understand the order of events. But you said the vote was just a placeholder. Did you always intend to vote for her? Or did that happening during rereading the thread?

Fair enough. You expected another hour to work with. If you had that hour what would you have done?

I apologize. That was too much.
Well, to explain why I felt targeted, all you'd have to do is search Sawneeks posts. Tunneling into an offhand remark (which was bad, I agree) and then turning that into scum(!) hunting. And I hadn't always intended to vote for Sawneeks, firstly because immediately after I posted I felt that would be too petty, and secondly, I really didn't want to vote based on my emotions. Therefore, post combing, when I decided to vote on Sawneeks during my reread.

If I had the time I would have liked to start from page 1 and then deconstruct every line from every post. Later, after day 1, I realized how annoying that could be to the thread and stopped.

El Topo

What do you think about Sophia's sudden power reveal without explantion?

Don't like revealing powers without necessity in general. I'm also a bit suspicious of how quickly she jumped onto my side on D1. She also played a role in getting Bronx-Man lynched, not to mention she survived the night. Not sure what all that means.

Well, yeah, if a last minute reversal happened and I had changed my vote so it didn't go through I'd probably die from regret. Still, largely what we did wasn't a help to town. I can admit that, and I'm willing to rectify that.

Well, to explain why I felt targeted, all you'd have to do is search Sawneeks posts. Tunneling into an offhand remark (which was bad, I agree) and then turning that into scum(!) hunting. And I hadn't always intended to vote for Sawneeks, firstly because immediately after I posted I felt that would be too petty, and secondly, I really didn't want to vote based on my emotions. Therefore, post combing, when I decided to vote on Sawneeks during my reread.

If I had the time I would have liked to start from page 1 and then deconstruct every line from every post. Later, after day 1, I realized how annoying that could be to the thread and stopped.

unvote

OK. Thanks. I would be interesting in seeing that post when you get a chance to complete it.

And I'm not sure if you already posted this. But who is your top town/town scum?

I agree with that assessment in regards to looking at Splinter if Melon flips scum. And in fact, that probably should have what I done day 1, but well...

Not really because she brought me up, rather how to put it... it seemed like an easy stance for scum to take? I wasn't certain on it at any rate, hence why I did not vote her at any time.

A Melon/Splinter connection is an easy one for scum to make given meta.

roytheone

Interesting flip. The pm reads more like a neutral role to me then a town or scum role. What really is weird is how Barry had two alignments. Does that mean he also had two win conditions? Sucks that is redacted :( And he can recruit people to his team, but those will both get the Gaga alignment AND their original alignment? Weird stuff all around.

Hm, found this.

Why do you trust Sophia enough to want to prevent her lynch? What has she done that makes you think this way or is it just the Doublevater ability?

I don't think a double vote is a scum ability. It's very powerful in the hands of scum. At the same time, if Sophia is town that means that scum will have to remove her eventually, since if she makes end game, she would be a huge advantage for town. No way a town double voter makes it to end game.

So yes, that vote was purely to prevent a sophia lynch or a tie. I had a null read on bronx since he barely said anything at all.

Also, I want Dusk to further explain his pokemon read list. Was that serious, or just a joke? Your vote on fire stayed on him until the end of the day, so that makes me think it was a serious list. Could you clarify this?

vote: dusk soldier

*Splinter

Can you explain why these comments lead you to scumread melon?

*Splinter

That being said I have no read on Splinter (one thing sticking in my mind was his subtle directing attention to Roy and not mentioning it ever again).
What is this referring to?

I don't remember talking about Roy much, I've been struggling to get any kind of read on him.

Verelios

unvote
And I'm not sure if you already posted this. But who is your top town/town scum?
I don't have a top town/scum for now because I don't want to have any prejudices later, just in case. But, I'm town leaning Nin since he was the only one to go against the Bronx man lynch (maybe pre-fabricated, maybe GAGA, as of now not seeing him as scum) and scum leaning Sawneeks for obvious reasons.

Sophia

Can you explain why these comments lead you to scumread melon?

See above, if you haven't.

Speaking of which, was your scum read of Royal a gut read? The one thing about scum!Royal that I remember is that he didn't easily or quickly commit to votes (See: Bachelor Party day 3) so I'm not really sure what to think here.

*Splinter

Oh I did miss this, I don't understand it though. What do you mean by it being an easy stance to take? Why do you think that?

*Splinter

See above, if you haven't.

Speaking of which, was your scum read of Royal a gut read? The one thing about scum!Royal that I remember is that he didn't easily or quickly commit to votes (See: Bachelor Party day 3) so I'm not really sure what to think here.
And yes it was mostly gut, iirc the thing that first triggered it was an odd post focused on how other people read him.

Sophia

Oh I did miss this, I don't understand it though. What do you mean by it being an easy stance to take? Why do you think that?

It seemed weird that she was drawing so much attention to it, but it was an easy stance to take because there was so much activity regarding me.

Again, I had enough doubts that I did not vote her. So there's that.

And yes it was mostly gut, iirc the thing that first triggered it was an odd post focused on how other people read him.

Ah, yeah. I remember that post seemed a bit odd for Royal. There's a bit of WIFOM-esque train of thoughts there because Royal doesn't seem like the kind of player who'd say that as scum but at the same time...

Sawneeks

Banned

Would you say your read on Melon is light scum or null?

Frankly I disagree as I believe people should vote for who they think is scummy but to each their own. However I will agree my extreme focus on you did distract me from other players, hence why I said earlier I don't plan to vote for you now and focus elsewhere.

You did mention earlier that post analysis and voting are our most powerful tools so, annoying or not, if you had planned to analyze someone's posts to get a read on them I don't see why you wouldn't.

I don't think a double vote is a scum ability. It's very powerful in the hands of scum. At the same time, if Sophia is town that means that scum will have to remove her eventually, since if she makes end game, she would be a huge advantage for town. No way a town double voter makes it to end game.

So yes, that vote was purely to prevent a sophia lynch or a tie. I had a null read on bronx since he barely said anything at all.

So it's just her ability, then? Nothing else she has done? What do you make of her reason for revealing it?

I don't have a top town/scum for now because I don't want to have any prejudices later, just in case. But, I'm town leaning Nin since he was the only one to go against the Bronx man lynch (maybe pre-fabricated, maybe GAGA, as of now not seeing him as scum) and scum leaning Sawneeks for obvious reasons.

i swear i'll leave you alone i promise

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Sawneeks

Banned

Ah, yeah. I remember that post seemed a bit odd for Royal. There's a bit of WIFOM-esque train of thoughts there because Royal doesn't seem like the kind of player who'd say that as scum but at the same time...

Do you either of you have that post on-hand?

Verelios

i swear i'll leave you alone i promise

Can you explain what you mean by this?
I don't want to put someone in an alignment box of scum or town, so that when reading their posts later my first thought isn't to justify why they're doing this or condemn them for doing that, regardless of what they're actually saying. Basically, if I put people into camps this early, won't I stubbornly believe they must be X?

roytheone

So it's just her ability, then? Nothing else she has done? What do you make of her reason for revealing it?

Yeah it's mostly her power which makes me think she is town. Plus, If she is town, scum can't let her live until end game since a double voter can literally win the game for town,so she should get nk at some point. If that doesn't happen, then I would get suspicious.

I will admit her reason to claim is extremely weak and if she is town that put her in the crosshair of scum for no real reason. So I am very curious why she decided giving blarg something to talk about was deemed more important then keeping hidden for scum.

Ty4on

Sorry for the low activity so far. Suddenly felt fatigued and started procrastinating.
Speaking of Verelios, my feelings haven't changed over the course of the night phase. Having reread my notes and his posts I still don't feel great about him and I will more than likely end my vote on him today. However, there are other's I want to look at today and not just spend the Day hounding him so I won't be casting my vote that way just yet.
My feelings kinda have. Haven't read him that closely, but the day end suspicion against you and me felt kinda genuine. Feels like a scum would've responded less impulsively and tried to convince us otherwise instead of scum reading us.
I liked that actually. The triangle discussion felt very loose with nobody really stopping to ask what it really was about. We figured out that melonrabbit didn't know I scum read Darryl (TheGoddamn) which makes me think both aren't scum.

Ty4on

I don't want to put someone in an alignment box of scum or town, so that when reading their posts later my first thought isn't to justify why they're doing this or condemn them for doing that, regardless of what they're actually saying. Basically, if I put people into camps this early, won't I stubbornly believe they must be X?
You can still make reads without tunneling too hard. Just stay skeptical and ask yourself if you're wrong every now and then.

It's better to tunnel than make no reads.

*Splinter

It seemed weird that she was drawing so much attention to it, but it was an easy stance to take because there was so much activity regarding me.

Again, I had enough doubts that I did not vote her. So there's that.
My concern is that this is similar but different to an argument I was making yesterday, which makes me wonder of you're using other people's points without really understanding them.

Bleh, I'm moving on, for your role alone (particularly the x-shot restriction) I think you're town.

Ty4on

My concern is that this is similar but different to an argument I was making yesterday, which makes me wonder of you're using other people's points without really understanding them.

Bleh, I'm moving on, for your role alone (particularly the x-shot restriction) I think you're town.
Anything else giving you a pause about Sophia?

*Splinter

Anything else giving you a pause about Sophia?
It's Sophia. Every post she makes gives me pause.

Joking aside, theres just the occasional points she makes (like the above) where I can't quite see her train of thought - but then that is consistent with previous games. Slightly more worrying was the timing and intent of her claim, but it's not a biggy and probably just another example of something I'm not understanding.

So basically I can't read Sophia, and can only rely on other's judgement there. From what little I can read into her role it seems more town than scum.

I think this is the first game I played that didn't do day start/ends at 5pm EST. Completely missed day's end because of that.

Some thoughts so far...

Bronx man had the power to save himself the whole time, (although it was pretty close to the deadline when his ability activated.) and he didn't even bother trying to use it to save himself. And he spent the whole Day Phase MIA, kind of feel like he made his bed there.

Barrylocke's win condition was obscured but I'm guessing only because he died on N1.

I'm guessing it's a cult like ability with the goal to capture 6 mons, although that sounds crazy difficult so maybe just three instead. I wonder if it's an arson-like ability. Actually it probably is.

bronx-man (5)
sophia 323 (462)
stanleypalmtree 442
ynnek7 592
sophia 762
*splinter 774 (777)
*splinter 797
roytheone 802

As for the votes yesterday. Ynnek7's stands out the most. The first two votes on him were prod votes cast due to Bronx's inactivity. He still had a vote left on him the beggining of the final day, and Ynnek7's vote:

Getting a vote in today.

VOTE: Bronx-Man

He made a few drive by posts, and while I share a bit of his Lucario dislike (I feel like Nintendo pushed really hard to get people to like him and didn't let hit happen organically), it would have been nice to hear from him once class was over.

Totally willing to change my vote if he comes back or if anyone else makes a convincing argument.

Kind of reads to me like he's was strategically trying to start a bandwagon. It just the fact that to me, it reads like he had no real intention of coming back to thread after posting this.That gives me a scum vibe.

Another interesting vote on this is roy's buzzer beater vote. Like he was trying to make sure that Sophia didn't get lynched. Just another thing to look at if one of the two flip scum.

Ty4on

It's Sophia. Every post she makes gives me pause.

Joking aside, theres just the occasional points she makes (like the above) where I can't quite see her train of thought - but then that is consistent with previous games. Slightly more worrying was the timing and intent of her claim, but it's not a biggy and probably just another example of something I'm not understanding.

So basically I can't read Sophia, and can only rely on other's judgement there. From what little I can read into her role it seems more town than scum.
The reads feel off to me. Especially the scum reads, it feels like she isn't actually suspicious. This post from mini mafia has been stuck in my mind because it's so different from what she's posted here. That kind of certainty and tone hasn't been present in this game.

Sophia

I'm still paying attention to the conversation, even if I'm not posting, but...

As for the votes yesterday. Ynnek7's stands out the most. The first two votes on him were prod votes cast due to Bronx's inactivity. He still had a vote left on him the beggining of the final day, and Ynnek7's vote:

Kind of reads to me like he's was strategically trying to start a bandwagon. It just the fact that to me, it reads like he had no real intention of coming back to thread after posting this.That gives me a scum vibe.

Another interesting vote on this is roy's buzzer beater vote. Like he was trying to make sure that Sophia didn't get lynched. Just another thing to look at if one of the two flip scum.

Bronx does bring up a good point when Ynnek threw his vote on him.

Hmmmm. I'll still keep my vote on Blarg, but Stanley keeping the vote on me is pretty suspect.

I don't think I'll have the time before day end to try to figure this out myself, but is there a reason why his vote on you is more suspect than mine?

I didn't read that. But you're suspect as well. Plently of other people to vote for, but you focused on the guy that's barely around to defend himself.

Hey Ynnek, can you go into more detail as to why you voted for Bronx over other potential votes? I picked him because I wanted to remove deadweight, he had votes on him, I didn't want to waste a double, and it was really close to the deadline. But you had more time than I did.

Ty4on

I'm still paying attention to the conversation, even if I'm not posting, but...
[...]

I have seen you've commented a bit on the flip, but what do you think killed Barry and what do you think his alignment was?

If he was the scum kill, why do you think he was killed?

Sophia

I have seen you've commented a bit on the flip, but what do you think killed Barry and what do you think his alignment was?

If he was the scum kill, why do you think he was killed?

Not a clue as to what his alignment was. If we assume it was a scum kill and I had to guess, they picked someone who would give us as little information as possible.

Ty4on

Not a clue as to what his alignment was. If we assume it was a scum kill and I had to guess, they picked someone who would give us as little information as possible.

Would they kill him if Unmasked Ferret or melonrabbit was scum?

I think it would be beneficial to hear from some of our most quieter players. LP faded to the background as the day went on. How are you feeling about things today, LP?

Also, I know Darryl choose No Lynch for technical reason. Is there anyone you would've chosen to vote for TheGoddamn?

And Salva how do you feel about the Bronx lynch?

Interesting to note that both CM and Royal choose to pull their vote and didn't place a vote on anyone else. CM gave an explanation but Royal hasn't yet.

Top Bottom