• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

what the hell is a Slay Queen?

This seems pretty disingenuous. You didn't expect your vote to go through but had no other alternatives...then why wouldn't your vote go through if others thought the same? How did Bronx catch your eye as scum anyway?

both you and sawneeks have both misunderstood me on this, i really should have made it clearer.

what i mean was i did not intend the vote to go through till lynch at the time i made it. but as of making that final post i NOW intended it to go towards bronx being lynched. i was trying to make it clear that my reasoning had changed, even if the vote hadnt (and clearly i did a bad job of that).

now as for my reasoning of wanting to lynch bronx.
i really dont like blatantly inactive play, it can likely be a cover for scum, and if not its just really bad town play. the promise of a contribution going unfulfilled even exacerbated this feeling further.
that behavior showed no signs of stopping, so i felt he was the best option to get rid of.

HOWEVER! i take some real issue with the other votes on bronxman.
you see, i voted (and left it there) on bronx when he hadnt said a damn thing, but he showed up, 1 hour and 15 minutes before the deadline. and everyone else who voted bronx out posted after this, so we know you saw it.

so i have to ask each of you, Ynnk Splinter, Sophia, and Roy

why the hell did you not ask him anything?

Honestly, I think the Trainers act, at least partially, as masons. Alignment doesn't matter, just as long as their targeting Pokémon. Maybe something similar to the Xbox chat we had in PiS?

We also don't know their win conditions. Maybe when they've collected a certain amount of Pokémon?

This.
the idea that the trainer recruitment acts as a kinda mason chat is what seems most logical to me.

i also think its likely that the trainer then gets some kind of command over the captured pokemons abilities, however this is far more speculative, as i dont really see how someone else could get use of something like sophias double vote ability without completely outing themselves.

Ynnek7

Honestly, I think the Trainers act, at least partially, as masons. Alignment doesn't matter, just as long as their targeting Pokémon. Maybe something similar to the Xbox chat we had in PiS?

We also don't know their win conditions. Maybe when they've collected a certain amount of Pokémon?

I had the same train of thought during Day 1. Now we at least know that when you're recruited, you keep your own alignment as well.

Just guessing at this point, but if being caught by a trainer opens up some sort of Mason Chat, keep in mind that Team Rocket might be able to catch, as well as kill.

Ynnek7

This.
the idea that the trainer recruitment acts as a kinda mason chat is what seems most logical to me.

i also think its likely that the trainer then gets some kind of command over the captured pokemons abilities, however this is far more speculative, as i dont really see how someone else could get use of something like sophias double vote ability without completely outing themselves.

New theory, Sophia is actually a trainer who has the double vote ability from a Pokemon she started the game with?

OK, Blargy, this bacon suit does not exist. I am disappointed. But did you know if you type a celebrity name + bacon number in Google it will tell the degree of Kevin Bacon. Lady Gaga is within 2 degrees FYI.

Why are we talking about bacon anyhow?

also in regards to Sophias abilty reveal being not ar off of "for the lolz"

she had a golden opportunity to make Blarg look dumb, in front of everyone.
can you all honestly say you wouldn't be tempted to go for it?

also i think the likelihood of scum having a double vote is crazy low, as thats a HUGE advantage to them.
dont forget that a townie having double votes isnt inherently good for town, not like a cop is. its entirely dependent of the user's judgement, if the user is completely on the wrong track in searching for scum, it can go really bad for us, but scum would never have that problem.

i believe someone mention there being a previous gafia game where scum did have a double vote? but no one followed it up.
can someone elaborate on this?

There was one thing that stood out to me while reading the end of the day in retrospective. Blarg brought up the triangle discussion, like he wasn't here in the first place. He (intentionally or not, I can not say) made everyone talk about those three again. Just wanted to point that out.

shhh

Cupcake_142653_1283130.gif

Mafia PTSD is real.

OK, Blargy, this bacon suit does not exist. I am disappointed. But did you know if you type a celebrity name + bacon number in Google it will tell the degree of Kevin Bacon. Lady Gaga is within 2 degrees FYI.

while i dont know if its specifically bacon, there is something far too close to it.

google Lady gaga meat dress.

Ynnek7

Just caught this due to Blarg's post. I really didn't have any specific questions for him, but I actually did ask him about why your vote was suspect, but mine wasn't.

I don't think I'll have the time before day end to try to figure this out myself, but is there a reason why his vote on you is more suspect than mine?

I even stated the same reasoning in my previous post on the subject. He promised to get back to us, and then went over a full day with no interaction. By time he started posting again I wasn't in a position to change my vote soon enough.

Why do you think it strange, exactly? GAFia meta tends to side towards either shooting inactives or shooting town leaders. Doesn't seem too unusual to me.

I was expecting them to hit a higher profile target. Like you said, someone who was driving the conversation.

Also your reply to Gorlak about just wanting to have Blargonaut something to talk about is about as a non-answer as you can get.

So do you think there are any mafia in the Bronx-man votes? Any opinions on the last minute vote by roytheone?

bronx-man (5)
sophia 323 (462)
stanleypalmtree 442
ynnek7 592
sophia 762
*splinter 774 (777)
*splinter 797
roytheone 802

Just caught this due to Blarg's post. I really didn't have any specific questions for him, but I actually did ask him about why your vote was suspect, but mine wasn't.

I even stated the same reasoning in my previous post on the subject. He promised to get back to us, and then went over a full day with no interaction. By time he started posting again I wasn't in a position to change my vote soon enough.

ah, i missed that.
okay, you only asked him something realting to yourself.

you seriously had no other questions for him?

not even a "hey bronx man, before you die, who do you think is scum?"

just figured you would let the lynch go through and learn as little as possible from it?

Ok. Enough with thus bacon business, I don't understand your ways, blarg.

Yes. Last minute Roy vote seemed unnecessary and definitely stood out to me as bandwagoning. You cannot use the excuse he just wanted a vote on record, several people opted out of voting on D1.

also i think the likelihood of scum having a double vote is crazy low, as thats a HUGE advantage to them.
dont forget that a townie having double votes isnt inherently good for town, not like a cop is. its entirely dependent of the user's judgement, if the user is completely on the wrong track in searching for scum, it can go really bad for us, but scum would never have that problem.

i believe someone mention there being a previous gafia game where scum did have a double vote? but no one followed it up.

nin1000 said so. And it checks out, Batsnacks had the DOUBLE ability, mafia aligned.

Nope i dont agree that it is "more likely to be town power" i mean there was this thing called
WWE
where a scum had this kind of power

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199109&page=49

Also you were in that game...

Hard to go wrong with bacon.

Blarg is clearly breadcrumbing one of those fire pig Pokemon. Emboar

Excuse me, I am a professional breadcrumber okay, I'm not like the rest of these chumps when it comes to making a mess of toast. Do you honestly think I, of all MVPs, would be that obvious, that I am such an amateur auteur to not only establish a breadcrumb off of official flavour text but do it this relatively late into the game and so crudely simple as an idolisation of crispy smoked meat? Be ashamed of how utterly abhorrent the notion is, pls

I would take your filthy read and grind it to bits, sir

Ynnek7

well, i cant say its not possible.

a huge stretch tho, unless you have anything actually making you think this is the case?

Nothing other than my own theories as to the game mechanics. There was the one post where Sophia said she was following Royal's suggestion:

In that case. I'd rather remove deadweight today (as per Royal's suggestion)

That made me wonder if they might have some sort of connection, but I'm pretty sure she's cleared this up since.

ah, i missed that.
okay, you only asked him something realting to yourself.

you seriously had no other questions for him?

not even a "hey bronx man, before you die, who do you think is scum?"

just figured you would let the lynch go through and learn as little as possible from it?

Honestly, this one I'll have to still blame on inexperience. I could have tried asking for more, but he hadn't even realized that I had voted for him at that point. I can understand the rush of trying to catch up right before day end, but any reads out of that probably wouldn't have been the greatest.

I'm inclined to believe that Sophia is more likely than not a Pokémon. Now, if she's really Piplup or Team Rocket's Ditto I couldnt say. But, I believe the Pokémon part.

I'm inclined to believe that Sophia is more likely than not a Pokémon. Now, if she's really Piplup or Team Rocket's Ditto I couldnt say. But, I believe the Pokémon part.

So do you think she could be a trainer? Maybe a neutral? Her being neutral is an idea I had but only because I can't seem to put her in either the town or mafia camp.

nin1000 said so. And it checks out, Batsnacks had the DOUBLE ability, mafia aligned.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199109&page=49

Also you were in that game...

oh it was in fucking WWE! talk about gafia ptsd, that game was a trainwreck!

sorry but i cant take anything from that game as a precedent,
if anything that makes me think a scum doublevote is even less likely now, as that game is a testament to why it wouldn't work.

now of course im not going to discount the possibility, i mean the X-shot stipulation already means it could have been toned down for mafia usage.
sophia is very much still possible scum, im just not going to judge that on any abilities.

Sophia

Seems like there's a bit of speculation in regards to my role. I get the impression that there might be scum there.

I'm still reading, but I'm in FFXIV helping a friend out and it's getting late there, so sorry if I don't respond to much right away.

I didn't really get time to respond to his vote on me. Sorry. :(

I remember that game. It was Werewolf 1. Scum had the ability to infinitely double vote, but when they got votes on them, they claimed it was only one shot.

Also that person might have sort have been me. >_>;

So do you think she could be a trainer? Maybe a neutral? Her being neutral is an idea I had but only because I can't seem to put her in either the town or mafia camp.

Right now all we know is Trainer can recruit, I haven't seen anything to suggest that they can do more than that. However through Bronx's we see that at least one Pokémon has a special ability. So for that reason, I believe Sophia is a Pokémon as opposed to something else. As for you remark about overpowering, as we don't have Pikachu taking out Onyx levels of bullshit everything should be fine.

Poor Onyx :(

We don't really know how the Pokemon alignment works though, so, I suppose she could be neutral.

I was expecting them to hit a higher profile target. Like you said, someone who was driving the conversation.

Also your reply to Gorlak about just wanting to have Blargonaut something to talk about is about as a non-answer as you can get.

So do you think there are any mafia in the Bronx-man votes? Any opinions on the last minute vote by roytheone?

bronx-man (5)
sophia 323 (462)
stanleypalmtree 442
ynnek7 592
sophia 762
*splinter 774 (777)
*splinter 797
roytheone 802

btw yeah roylet, what's up with that, huh?

also, the mention of an "owl-shaped wig" in the D2 opening flavour is telling, IMO

VOTE: roytheone

YFudo1R.jpg

why you lurking like that, huh, roylet?

or should I say

larking

That's a bird joke, roylet

a lark, if you will

Verelios

what the hell is a Slay Queen?

both you and sawneeks have both misunderstood me on this, i really should have made it clearer.

what i mean was i did not intend the vote to go through till lynch at the time i made it. but as of making that final post i NOW intended it to go towards bronx being lynched. i was trying to make it clear that my reasoning had changed, even if the vote hadnt (and clearly i did a bad job of that).

now as for my reasoning of wanting to lynch bronx.
i really dont like blatantly inactive play, it can likely be a cover for scum, and if not its just really bad town play. the promise of a contribution going unfulfilled even exacerbated this feeling further.
that behavior showed no signs of stopping, so i felt he was the best option to get rid of.

HOWEVER! i take some real issue with the other votes on bronxman.
you see, i voted (and left it there) on bronx when he hadnt said a damn thing, but he showed up, 1 hour and 15 minutes before the deadline. and everyone else who voted bronx out posted after this, so we know you saw it.

Fair enough, given the circumstances.

Unvote

• Because I wanted to talk more about Melon, and Splinter came out of nowhere and voted on her which means he had some opinion on the subject. But it was too late to discuss it.
  • No particular reason. I wanted to give Blarg something to talk about. =P
  • I'm Piplup, a water type Pokemon. X-Shot Double Voter. I'm not telling you how many shots. Only consumed if my double vote is on someone at day end tho.
  • Yes, I'm town aligned.

You'll see no such things from me. I may have liked Royal's suggestion, but my choice to vote off Bronx was my own, as are the consequences of that vote.

IRe3S1O.gif

flavour pls

*Splinter

My original vote on Bronx was based on a misunderstaning (I don't remember what exactly).

Once corrected I would have preferred to find a new target but couldn't decide where to go in the time available (about 30 minutes iirc). In the end I went back to Bronx purely to avoid a tie, but wasn't particularly hopeful about the result.

I'm wary of the people pointing fingers at Roy's vote (and mine, but that's been happening less) - his response is obvious ("to avoid a tie"), he had also said earlier in the day that he'd vote to protect Sophia, AND this has already been discussed by Roy himself within this day phase.

I don't townread Roy by any means, but anyone trying to make something from his vote is either not paying attention or scum wanting to push a false lead.

*Splinter

One big takeaway is that I seriously need more scum reads. Unless we have a weird setup with the Pokemon trainers there's probably ~5 scum.
I've been going back and forth a bit on Ty, but this comment stuck out to me (in a good way). Basically I have the same feeling, I don't have nearly enough scum reads in this game, and seeing Ty describe the same experience of the game that I'm having makes me think he's working from the same set of information I am.

My original vote on Bronx was based on a misunderstaning (I don't remember what exactly).

Once corrected I would have preferred to find a new target but couldn't decide where to go in the time available (about 30 minutes iirc). In the end I went back to Bronx purely to avoid a tie, but wasn't particularly hopeful about the result.

I'm wary of the people pointing fingers at Roy's vote (and mine, but that's been happening less) - his response is obvious ("to avoid a tie"), he had also said earlier in the day that he'd vote to protect Sophia,

you got something against pressure, *Splint?

Why don't I vote for you then, huh?

AND this has already been discussed by Roy himself within this day phase.

I don't townread Roy by any means, but anyone trying to make something from his vote is either not paying attention or scum wanting to push a false lead.

so?

Verelios

You weren't hopeful of the result meaning...that you thought Bronx wouldn't get lynched or was it he wasn't scum?

talking about "scum reads" like they're something that can be collected, smh

sounds like you and Ty4o are asking for "excuses", that's what it sounds like

IMO

*Splinter

you got something against pressure, *Splint?

Why don't I vote for you then, huh?

so?
That's precisely the problem. Asking a question with such an easy/obvious answer isn't pressure. If anything it just lets Roy give an easy "right" answer, which in turn leads to people thinking "hmm, sounds reasonable, this Roy guy isn't so bad". It's negative pressure masquerading as contribution.

I've been going back and forth a bit on Ty, but this comment stuck out to me (in a good way). Basically I have the same feeling, I don't have nearly enough scum reads in this game, and seeing Ty describe the same experience of the game that I'm having makes me think he's working from the same set of information I am.

What you need to do, see, is make a LinkCabledIn profile and network network network, it's all about that contact sport nowadays bro, hahaha :) Maybe then you'll earn a decent "scum read" wage and escape from your "scum read" poverty, like me ;)

Top Bottom