• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

*snip*

GYihOOm.png

*snip*

MOKTUBS.gif

This design is even more hideous than the opening flavour

Interesting that we didn't actually get to see what team Topo was on?

Guess the trainers aren't quite as powerful as we theorized. Gossip chats seem like just a fun distraction.

*Splinter

Well, all my ideas I had about the whole trainer situation after reading topo his claim can be thrown into the garbage :(

Interestingly, didn't Topo say he had conversations with his trainer in their chat? But reading this flip, the trainer doesn't seem to actually be part of the chat? I guess that Topo was purposely giving wrong details to help check if later people that are caught are speaking the truth?
Oh yeah... huh

2 deaths. Smells like vigilante justice.
Both seem like poor targets for a vig, unless someone knew Topo was lying.

roytheone

Alright, so when reading the end of day 2, here are the notes I made (having removed any speculation about the trainers of course):

-I am always naturally suspicious of Veteran claims, since those are good ways for scum to prevent being targeted by pr and gives them an excuse why they live long, plus claiming veteran removes a big part of it's utility. However, splinter has retracted his claim now and it was apparently a ploy to prevent being captured, so that's no longer a factor.

- Salva his top town/ top scum list with stan and blarg included in top town. I am curious for his reasoning about this. Looking back I could find reasons for his top scum, but not really for his top town.

- LP his Gorlak vote stood out to me. Did he ever mention him before that? And looking at his reasoning, it was mostly because of his inactivity. Feels like scum trying to stay clear of a town lynch to me.

- Nin calls me out for being able to do better and votes on me. I am curious what you mean exactly by that nin. Can you be more specific?

- I find CM his theory about a neutral Sophia that has to double vote a set amount of time interesting. It would explain her very sudden and unneeded reveal on day 1. However, the thing about this is that even if this is the case, do we want to spend a day lynch lynching a pretty harmless neutral? Days where you lynch a neutral tend to give very little to work with since scum can just join in. I still read Sophia as town, but even if CM theory is correct I don't think it is worth spending a lynch on Sophia.

- Fireblend reacted pretty annoyed on Verilios his post calling out the weird timing of a post of Fire. Now I don't think timing of posts is often a very good way to scum hunt, but in my experience if you are scum, you tend to be more defensive against attacks, especially the badly reasoned ones. The timing of his post wasn't scummy, his reaction to Verilios was interesting though.

-Ynnek said he considered joining the Royal vote, but didn't since he hadn't got any strong reads. So Ynnek, can you elaborate on your reasons to consider joining the Royal vote while you didn't had a strong read on him?

Well, I had a lot of fun. Go get 'em town.

Rip.

I'm going to rereading the thread and seeing if anything or anyone stands out to me.

But right now here where I am.

Very surprised Ty was targeted. If you're going after a town leader why not Miss Double Vote, Sophia?

VOTE: Sophia

nin1000

Banned
Rip ty4on and topo.

@ roy. I voted on you since I think you can do better.

I won't be around tomorrow since I will be at an amusement park. Fyi it will be the same one I was last year whrre I lost my phone.

No I won't be taking my phone into the roller coaster.

Regarding Sophia.

Sophia is town and scum is purposely not killing her in order for town to Lynch her.

Or

Sophia is scum and can't be killed.

Its a tough call. One I won't make for now.

Comparing the Gabe Newell and Gaga role PM's:

Alignment: Gabe is aligned with town and his team, so we can presume that Gaga is also aligned with town and her team.

And all this is new:

Once the Pokémon is caught, they will be informed about being added to your Pokémon team, and they will be given access to the secret Pokémon Team Chat. However, they won't be told about your identity (other than that you are Gabe Newell), and you won't be given access to the Team Chat.

If you are killed during the game, your Pokémon team cannot grow any bigger. However if you die, your Pokémon will be able to use their Team Chat even during day phases.

During this game, you will have a normal win condition, but also a Superior win condition:

Normal Win Condition:You will win as part of the town, if all of the forces that may disrupt the town have been defeated.

Superior Win Condition: However, you will be granted a superior victory over all other groups, if during the end of the game, your Pokémon team is the bigger when compared to other town factions. You can try to reach this special Superior Win Condition only, if the normal win condition is also fulfilled.

So separate night-only team chat for Pokemon teams, and trainers are town-aligned.

Also in hindsight this is a bit amusing:

With the "[REVOKED DUE TO N1 DEATH]" and from the line:

It sounds like someone overtook his role.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't scum though unless this night was really crazy.

Wait, maybe neutral...

Then again, maybe there is a neutral trainer out there offing rival trainers? Or someone out there targeting captured Pokemon?

For anyone keeping score at home, Team Gabe has at most 2 team members:
0 team members (got role blocked, tried capturing a trainer or captured Pokemon, etc.)
1 team member (Topo was Team Gabe, a combination of role block and success, etc.)
2 team members (two captures, Topo was not one of them)

Team Gaga has:
0 team members (got role blocked, N1 capture failed, etc.)
1 team member (N2 capture failed, or Topo was Team Gaga)
2 team members (successful N2 capture)

- LP his Gorlak vote stood out to me. Did he ever mention him before that? And looking at his reasoning, it was mostly because of his inactivity. Feels like scum trying to stay clear of a town lynch to me.

I already addressed this: no matter what I did (voted Flush, voted elsewhere, didn't vote, didn't post, posted a bunch of .gifs) it wouldn't go unnoticed. The Gorlak vote was more of a reminder to myself and others (hey this is a guy who hasn't posted in awhile, is he avoiding heat?) and a bit of an in-joke between us (he always scum-reads me, why can't I do the same). He could be scum, who knows. I'll get back to him.

In hindsight, I should've dropped a vote on CM to see what would happen. That would've made 4, and if Sophia doubled on CM again it would've been a 6-6 tie. If Topo knew the day ended 2 hours earlier, who knows what could've happened? Blah, too many ifs.

Players who didn't vote on Day 2:

• TheGoddamn (previously voted Sophia)
  • El Topo (didn't know the day ended earlier, suspicious of me, wanted to vote Blarg as he impossibly told his trainer)

Votes on Flush, Day 2:
  • Splinter
  • Sawneeks
  • Melon
  • Verelios
  • Stanley
  • Sophia
  • Sophia
  • Ferret

Votes on Bronx, Day 1:
  • Stanley
  • Ynnek
  • Sophia
  • Splinter
  • Roy

roytheone

Rip ty4on and topo.

I won't be around tomorrow since I will be at an amusement park. Fyi it will be the same one I was last year whrre I lost my phone.

Regarding Sophia.

Sophia is town and scum is purposely not killing her in order for town to Lynch her.

Or

That's not really clarifying it, that is repeating it. How am I worse this game then in earlier games according to you?

I already addressed this: no matter what I did (voted Flush, voted elsewhere, didn't vote, didn't post, posted a bunch of .gifs) it wouldn't go unnoticed. The Gorlak vote was more of a reminder to myself and others (hey this is a guy who hasn't posted in awhile, is he avoiding heat?) and a bit of an in-joke between us (he always scum-reads me, why can't I do the same). He could be scum, who knows. I'll get back to him.

In hindsight, I should've dropped a vote on CM to see what would happen. That would've made 4, and if Sophia doubled on CM again it would've been a 6-6 tie. If Topo knew the day ended 2 hours earlier, who knows what could've happened? Blah, too many ifs.

Wouldn't go unnoticed? So what? Are you trying to stay unnoticed or catch scum? Lynching, and thus votes at the end of the day, are our core way to combat scum. Using it for in jokes and reminders is not the best way to use that power imo.

Sawneeks

Banned
Vote: Gorlak

You were gone for most of Day 2 and I'm curious of your thoughts in the game now. Do you still think Sophia is scum? If not, who do you find scummy?

I also want to hear from Ynnek, CM, Nin, Roy, and LP in regards to your votes on the previous Day phase. They are all ones that stood out to me and I can recall them fairly clearly. My question to you all is why did you vote there instead of Royal and will you be returning to that vote today?

Rip ty4on and topo.

Regarding Sophia.

Or

That Rollercoaster is still painted with the blood of your last phone, Nin. Don't put your new phone through that horror.
$10 says this one also gets killed. Yeah, yeah I know, I should quit gambling. Sue me.

have fun Nin <3

Btw, I know you are uncertain but what are you feeling about Sophia? Do you feel she is Scum or Town? Also, what was that with you and Blarg at the end of the last Day Phase? :/

First I'm sorry I didn't get to vote at day's end-- I just passed out as Topo was dealing with post-caught reveal questions.

But I'd like now to

Vote: Sophia

Sophia, please double for the record. It doesn't have to stick, but just so the tool catches it.

That's all I can do now; it's 0545h on a Saturday and I need sleep.

Players who didn't vote on Day 2:

• TheGoddamn (previously voted Sophia)
  • El Topo (didn't know the day ended earlier, suspicious of me, wanted to vote Blarg as he impossibly told his trainer)

Votes on Flush, Day 2:
  • Splinter
  • Sawneeks
  • Melon
  • Verelios
  • Stanley
  • Sophia
  • Sophia
  • Ferret

Votes on Bronx, Day 1:
  • Stanley
  • Ynnek
  • Sophia
  • Splinter
  • Roy

Which group is the more suspicious to you, the ones who voted for one but not the other, or the people who voted for both Bronx and RF? From all the people listed who is top scum at the moment?

Verelios

First I'm sorry I didn't get to vote at day's end-- I just passed out as Topo was dealing with post-caught reveal questions.

But I'd like now to

Vote: Sophia

Sophia, please double for the record. It doesn't have to stick, but just so the tool catches it.

That's all I can do now; it's 0545h on a Saturday and I need sleep.
?

There's a double vote on Royal isn't there? Or was I wrong?

Sophia

His gesture is pointless, I don't have another shot, and even if I did I can't fire them off now.

I was captured by El Topo's trainer during the night phase. The information I received in PM matches both what El Topo told everyone, as well as Ty4on's flip. I can see the previous conversation between the trainer and him. Likewise, I have good reason to believe that, as of right now, the trainer is town. Speaking of which...

Alignment: Gabe is aligned with town and his team, so we can presume that Gaga is also aligned with town and her team.

Vote :Lone_Prodigy

How the hell did you come to this conclusion? The mere presence of missing info in Barrylocke's flip, and the fact that this info is lacking in Ty4on's flip (plus the fact that my PM matched Ty4on's flip) suggests the complete opposite.

I think, on top of there being a killing roll of some sort, there's also probably another scum trainer out there. The nature of our "superior win condition" requires us to also meet the normal condition, and I have no reason to believe this is any different for the scum trainer. I could be wrong tho.

Sophia

Ty's flip says that he would not have been given access to the Pokémon team chat, so that's different.

Oh... huh, you're right. That's weird. I was informed of the trainer's identity in the PM, and they've been a part of the chat.

The superior win condition is the same, however.

Sawneeks, I already addressed my Gorlak vote. I don't have a strong scum read on him, but he was inactive for most of the day and seems to have been forgotten by others.

Wouldn't go unnoticed? So what? Are you trying to stay unnoticed or catch scum? Lynching, and thus votes at the end of the day, are our core way to combat scum. Using it for in jokes and reminders is not the best way to use that power imo.

It reminds others that Gorlak is playing. Someone else who is suspicious of Gorlak may jump on that opportunity. We got 3 late votes on CM because Sophia voted and unvoted, I mentioned a reason for the lack of reaction, and others jumped on.

Which group is the more suspicious to you, the ones who voted for one but not the other, or the people who voted for both Bronx and RF? From all the people listed who is top scum at the moment?

Stanley, Splinter, and Sophia (SSS) were on both votes. I'm putting more stock into the D2 votes than the D1 ones because D1 votes are always dicey, so being on both lynches isn't an indictment.

I would say TheGoddamn (focusing on Sophia, low activity) and Stanley (general null read yet is around for timely votes) are suspicious, along with CM.

His gesture is pointless, I don't have another shot, and even if I did I can't fire them off now.

I was captured by El Topo's trainer during the night phase. The information I received in PM matches both what El Topo told everyone, as well as Ty4on's flip. I can see the previous conversation between the trainer and him. Likewise, I have good reason to believe that, as of right now, the trainer is town. Speaking of which...

Vote :Lone_Prodigy

How the hell did you come to this conclusion? The mere presence of missing info in Barrylocke's flip, and the fact that this info is lacking in Ty4on's flip (plus the fact that my PM matched Ty4on's flip) suggests the complete opposite.

I think, on top of there being a killing roll of some sort, there's also probably another scum trainer out there. The nature of our "superior win condition" requires us to also meet the normal condition, and I have no reason to believe this is any different for the scum trainer. I could be wrong tho.

Barry's flip was redacted due to his N1 death, which gives the assumption that had he died afterwards it would've revealed the info. The redacted sections also line up with the ones in Ty4on's flip.

I'm starting to see inconsistencies though. Topo's claimed capture flip differs from Ty4on's regarding the chat, and there's no mention of roleblocking. How does your PM match his?

Come to think of it, why would you reveal yourself as being captured? Depending on who scum killed last night, a third party may be targeting captured Pokemon or trainers. If you're telling the truth, you just put a huge target on your back.

Sophia

Barry's flip was redacted due to his N1 death, which gives the assumption that had he died afterwards it would've revealed the info. The redacted sections also line up with the ones in Ty4on's flip.

I'm starting to see inconsistencies though. Topo's claimed capture flip differs from Ty4on's regarding the chat, and there's no mention of roleblocking. How does your PM match his?

Come to think of it, why would you reveal yourself as being captured? Depending on who scum killed last night, a third party may be targeting captured Pokemon or trainers. If you're telling the truth, you just put a huge target on your back.

Felt the information to town was more valuable than any particular speculation into what might be out there. In particular, the fact that Ty4on's win conditions (normal and superior) are identical, which is inconsistent with what you were saying.

And yeah, looking it over, Ty4on for whatever reason didn't join his chat. My trainer did. I am conversing with them, as did El Topo before his death.

I also want to point out that Topo's role was a normal type, meaning he didn't have an ability to begin with, and I don't think Ty's flip says anything about the pokemon losing their ability. So that isn't actually confirmed either.

*Splinter

Huh... I don't like this.

So we've apparently seen 3 trainers already. Gaga, Ty4on/Gabe, and whoever caught Topo/Sophia.

Ty4on was town, I'll also point out that Gaga is unlikely to be scum as the sole N1 death.

The last trainer has different rules to Ty4on who was definitely town. If they're both town then this feels unfair - a built in flavour trap for town, I don't see Burb doing that. I think Sophia's trainer has to be scum.

Sophia

Hmm.... LP and Splinter have a point, the info reduction was due to death. That being said, Splinter, if my trainer was scum wouldn't it just be a vote trap in the opposite direction?

Unvote

*Splinter

I agree that Gaga isn't confirmed town, but they're more likely to be town than scum - unless you think scum died on N1.

Also your claim very definitely does not match Ty4on's flip...

*Splinter

Hmm.... LP and Splinter have a point, the info reduction was due to death. That being said, Splinter, if my trainer was scum wouldn't it just be a vote trap in the opposite direction?

Unvote
What do you mean?

When you have two seemingly contradictory claims that's generally a good time for a thunderdome. To have a town-town thunderdome built into the game is bad design, I can't believe Burb would do that.

Then again... This is something that was very likely to come up... So then it feels like we'd be getting scum trainer for free (or at worst at the cost of the town trainer).

...I dunno. Maybe we should let this sit for a day or two, get some more claims to consider.

Fireblend

Banned
RIP Ty and Topo; not a good thing to see 5 town flips so far and nothing to show for it. I agree the differences between Sophia's statements and Tys flip are worth considering, specially if the extra win conditions are the same for both trainers but apparently Sophia's gets this extra perk of being part of the chat at no cost.

Other than that I've got nothing, reading through the end of day didn't really change my top scum though I still have a ton of blindspots I should start looking into and hopefully get some decent notes on all players. This week's been rough at work so hopefully I'll be more active during the weekend.

Why would you want to know this?

Sophia, I voted for you right out the gate because I wanted to check if your Piplup claim was true, as well as check if you still had shots. Your continued survival in the subsequent nights since your outing yourself as a PR, in addition to your contributing to the lynch both days, read very suspiciously to me.

However, now that you have been caught by El Topo's trainer, I'm going to trust their judgment if this is true. It seems that all (catchable) Pokemon are town. I don't want another townie to die, so I'll ease off if you attempt a double. Topo said that his PR is disabled after his trainer caught him, and so even if your power isn't one-shot, your double failing will tell ease my fears about you.

RIP Ty and Topo; not a good thing to see 5 town flips so far and nothing to show for it. I agree the differences between Sophia's statements and Tys flip are worth considering, specially if the extra win conditions are the same for both trainers but apparently Sophia's gets this extra perk of being part of the chat at no cost.

Other than that I've got nothing, reading through the end of day didn't really change my top scum though I still have a ton of blindspots I should start looking into and hopefully get some decent notes on all players. This week's been rough at work so hopefully I'll be more active during the weekend.

Maybe I missed something, but there actually anything conclusive about Barry's (and his successor's) alignment? There was a lot of redacted stuff in his flip.

El Topo and Sophia didn't get to be a part of the trainer's chat at no cost-- the Pokemon lose their PR. Ty's Pokemon can't talk to him, only to each other, but it looks like they retain their PR. I'm not sure yet which is more advantageous for either trainer.

nin1000

Banned
That's not really clarifying it, that is repeating it. How am I worse this game then in earlier games according to you?

Lack of quality and quality. I know it's only me but it seems kinda off. I don't want to be too eager to brush up off like that, that's why I said you can do better. I hope you can show me roy.

I gotta say, I respect that lie game, El Topo

no nobler cause for Ordinaries than to draw aggro for their PR brethren

You KO'd a good KO, friend

Top Bottom