• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Experience 2016 Attendees Thread: California Here We Come!

krae_man

PAJXleI.jpg

This thread is for people attending PSX. It's a hub of information about what will be there, where it is, etc.

Special thanks to xenorevlis for helping me out with this OP and organizing the community stuff at PSX

What is it?

PlayStation Experience is a PlayStation themed convention(Like a PAX or Comic Con). There will be panels, playable demos of unreleased games, Merchandise etc

When is it?

December 3th and 4th 2016

Time?

Saturday: 10am-10pm
Sunday: 10am-6pm

Where is it?

Anaheim Convention Center
Anaheim, CA

How Much are Tickets?

$45 for Saturday
$40 for Sunday
$75 for a 2 Day pass

Buy Tickets Here

Where/when can I pick up tickets?

Badge Pickup Hours

Friday, 12/2/16: 12:00pm – 12:00am
Saturday, 12/3/16: 7:00am – 10:00pm
Sunday, 12/4/16: 9:00am – 6:00pm

Discount hotels?

Sony has a "Discount" hotel link, however it it just Orbitz/Hotels.com pricing with an additional service charge those sites don't charge(plus you don't get the benefits of Orbitz bucks etc), It's a complete waste so I'm not even going to bother listing it. DON'T BOOK A HOTEL THROUGH IT.

apRLsAi.jpg

The Closest Airport is John Wayne in Orange County. The Airport code is SNA

LAX and Long Beach are also nearby but not as close.

Looks like your best option is to booked a shared shuttle with Supershuttle or something. Going rate seems to be about $10 each way for shared shuttle.

Here's a list of shuttles on the John Wayne Airport website. Although Shuttle 2000 doesn't seem to have a website anymore and nobody bothered to remove them from the site so LOL Anaheim public transportation?

CZoMueE.jpg

I tried looking up buses but it looked complicated and too long.

AkqApTu.jpg

xcry09m.jpg

48kdFRr.jpg

"Full" List(Minus last minute additions/surprises):

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...ence-2016-attending-publishers-and-developers

kZ3eN74.jpg

mm4xOcc.jpg

7mKxmeJ.jpg

Akuma confirmed for SFV. Playable at PSX

Snake Pass at PSX

Uncharted 4: Survival, Playable at PSX

Super Mega Baseball 2: Playable at PSX

Pb2vTQT.jpg

D01KTWJ.jpg

lKnVheG.jpg

PS I Love You XOXO Panel

So, how about we do it in person? I’m proud to announce that the Internet’s No. 1 PlayStation podcast PS I Love You XOXO is coming back to PlayStation Experience 2016. On Sunday, December 4, Colin Moriarty, Tim Gettys, a bunch of special guests, and I will take the stage at 12:00 PM Pacific. We’ll cover everything that’s happened at PS Experience, give away games, and probably talk about why 7-year-olds have no chance at being great hockey players.

4sP8Y69.jpg

ta6TJRk.jpg

Please keep in mind that there is limited space at the PlayStation Showcase, so if you’re interested in attending, we recommend picking up your badge on Friday (the day before) and then getting in line as early as possible on Saturday. Attendees will be let in on a first-come, first-served basis. The line for the Showcase will open up at 12:01am on Saturday, December 3, and you must already have your badge to get in line.

PlayStation Showcase kicks off the show on Saturday, December 3rd, starting at 10:00am Pacific Time, and will feature announcements and a sneak peek at the future of PlayStation. The Showcase will be seated on a first-come, first-served basis, so pick up your badges on Friday and get in line early on Saturday if you want the best shot at sitting in.

BFY3lOZ.jpg

D4lOgMb.jpg

First off, download the Experience Playstation App off of iTunes or Android. Why should you do it? Well last year your everyone's badge had a NFC chip in it and by scanning your badge at all the kiosks, panels, demo stations, etc, you earned rewards. Rewards included, themes, beta's, free games, psn money, etc.

You could also book appointments for Playstation VR Demos.

This has not been confirmed to repeat but it very likely will. Also maybe they will give us actual trophies this year
One can dream

Call of Duty World League at PSX

Some of the Merch Revealed:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/01/playstation-experience-2016-gear-revealed/

yTF6QoU.jpg

Meet and Greets:

sS9FACc.jpg

BYIsg1k.jpg

NwYBmRP.jpg

Capcom Cup is back and the finals will be taking place Saturday at 6pm.

Capcom Cup PlayStation Blog post

Capcom Cup Update

NNOvtUb.jpg

fjB6DyB.jpg

lNUMCLJ.jpg

Playstation Collectible Cards are back and there's another set of 37 to collect. Also reprints of the first set will be available at the PlayStation Merch Store

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/21/ps-experience-2016-collectible-cards-are-back/

FMUkrUp.jpg

RzweOjf.jpg

The Game Awards

Dec 1, Nokia Theatre, Los Angeles

You can add a ticket onto your PSX order for $10. If you have already purchased your PSX tickets, just log back into your account and you can add it on.

Disneyland

Both Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park are right across the street

Knotts Berry Farm

If you like Roller Coasters

Flight Deck

If you are into flight sims.

TZTXRW3.jpg

yqWFKNn.jpg

-Snacks and Water. You're going to be waiting in line a lot to get into your favorite panels and to try the lateset games. It always helps to have snacks and beverages so you don't have to decide between waiting in line for food or going to another panel/playing another game.

-Handheld game systems. Bring your Vita and play some games with your fellow Playstation fans while in line.

-Something to sit on. The floor can be hard on the old backside. Bring a cushon with you, or for elite level line waiting, bring a slacker stool.

-A easy to carry bag. You're going to need it for all the above, plus the swag you'll get. Don't go overboard though as you will have to carry everything with you all day. You're not backpacking across Europe. Some people bring poster tubes to keep posters they acquire in good condition.

-Your cellphone battery will not last. Conventions are murder on your battery. I strongly recommend investing in a external battery pack of some kind.

-How long should you wait in line for a panel? No idea, this convention is brand new. I'd get in line early for the keynote. Everything else? 30 minutes will probably suffice if PAX is any indication. But again, new event so hard to say.

Use Hand Sanitizer Nothing worse then getting sick when you get home. Use it regularly and it doesn't hurt to bring your own.

-Get your sleep. you probably don't need the full 8 hours, but you don't want to be getting back to your hotel room at 4am and then waking up at 7 so you can be near the front of the line for when the convention center opens at 10am the next day.

-You might not be able to see/do everything. Pick your priorities and wait it out.

-Go to the GAF meetup/other meetups. My favorite part of conventions is meeting people I've been chatting online with for years. If you take the chance and do it, It'll become yours too. Doesn't have to be GAF. Are you part of a subreddit that is having a meetup at the convention? a Playstaiton Fansite etc? Consider attending them.

Pace Yourself You want to enjoy your evenings as well. What fun is it being back in your hotel by 7pm? You're going to do a lot of walking/standing. Take some breaks and sit if you need to. Don't miss out on the GAF meetup or other evening fun because you are too tired from standing in lines all day.

-Have Fun

tlZ7Exw.jpg

TXWBfOQ.jpg

First off, xenorevlis has volunteered to make NeoGAF lanyards again!

If you are attending PSX and would like a lanyard, you can sign up for one here:

Link to Google Doc in email tags here

Also, we still have a line group going from last PSX. We used it to co-ordinate meeting up with fellow gaffers for breakfast, waiting in line for the keynote together, tips of good booths, where to get a specific cards etc.

Join here(line group link in email tags, you will need to open the link on mobile)

Sign up for a lanyard, join the Line group, and get ready for an awesome weekend![B Sign ups for a lanyard will end Nov 21st [/B]

Date: Saturday Dec 3rd
Time: 9pm

How do I get there?

You have two options.

1) You can walk up Disneyland Dr until the Grand Californian Hotel and walk through that to get to the Downtown Disney District and Downtown Dr that the bar is on.

Alternately If you're worried about getting lost in what looks like a massive hotel, you can make a left at the hotel and take the scenic route on Downtown Dr. There's a pedestrian bridge over Disneyland Drive. Use the map below as a guide:

ADOTKO6.jpg

HLB4cZn.jpg

Now, I know what you are thinking, Convention ends at 10pm. Well 90% of the places I looked up closed at 10pm and this seems like the best spot with reasonable capacity within walking distance and they close at 12am. If we made it 10:30pm like last year and allowed for late stragglers, It would be closing just as we settle in.

If you want to watch the end of the Capcom Cup and come over after, by all means do that but those of us who are not interested in the Capcom Cup can head over there before the convention ends and hopefully secure a spot. I may even head over slightly earlier then that if a few of us are interested.

Then if people are still up for it, after Uva closes we'll wander over to Hearthstone Lounge or Trader Sams Enchanted Tiki Bar since they stay open until 1:30am. They look a little smaller but hopefully we can still squeeze in if some of us are up for a second stop.

They may be backup locations if Uva is all booked up as well.

Trader Sams is along the scenic route path as you can see in the map above.

Hearthstone Lounge is in the Grand Californian hotel.

*Warning, do not trust where Google Maps says Uva is. Look where the Disney Map says it is, that's where you need to go*

Previous meetups:

Nmfblxw.jpg

RvvZMQP.jpg

VqjwBHv.jpg

krae_man

Link to Google Doc to Sign up for a NeoGAF Lanyard in email tags here

Link to join the Line group in email tags here(you will need to open the link on mobile)

AsakuraZ

I'll hold off on the signing up just yet, but I entered in a sweepstakes to win free tickets. If I get them I'll definitely try to go.

krae_man

i'd like to sign up for this

im not too mobile savvy so could you give me a step by step rundown of how to link to google docs

Just quote the 2nd post in the thread and you will see the necessary links inside email tags.

Just copy and paste them into your address bar.

daffy

Banned
I'll peep after I buy tickets. i work for the mouse so its literally right there. hopefully it doesnt sell out

Vaco6121

Signed the doc, its gonna be fun like always. 3 years in a row for me. If anyone needs a hotel room, I will have an extra bed available as my buddy has backed out on me, so let me know if you are looking.

Last year was a blast meeting some of you. What time is everyone lining up this year?

I want to say a buddy and I lined up around 5:45 am last year, but I don't really remember, but I will probably line up around that time again.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Yo what, you started lining up at 5:45am? What time does it start? Or what time do they start letting people in? This will be my first time going to a keynote

Vaco6121

Yo what, you started lining up at 5:45am? What time does it start? Or what time do they start letting people in? This will be my first time going to a keynote

If it is like last years, the keynote is at 10:00 am. I want to say they started letting people in at 9:30 or so. I lined up early so I got a good seat.

I have flight and hotel arrangements set and an extra day off to spend Disneyland on my birthday the 5th! I am so excited for this again! A new venue is always fun to get to see how things are different! I will fill out the form shortly and look forward to seeing everyone again!

Is anyone else staying at the Hyatt Regency Orange County? I got the employee rate there, but it's still fairly cheap if you sign up for a free Gold Passport account (totally shilling for my employer haha).

See you guys in just over a month!

It's getting real up in here!

I'll add my information later today, when I'm not mobile. It was great meeting so many of you GAFfers last year. I can't wait to do it again!

Signed up. I have a couple of non Playstation fans to hang out with during the weekend too. That will probably be Saturday and I'll be at PSX all day Sunday. I fly home Monday. Would like to spend at least a few hours Saturday at the event, not sure what I'm doing so far Saturday night yet.

Still struggling to save for this but was heavily considering a GoFundMe to partially aid in the finances of a trip down for The Game Awards and PSX.

More importantly, I want to help host a NeoGAF meetup again, provide the badges, film some of the meetup and cover our PSX adventures to post on YouTube.

Does anyone think this is a direction I should take? Also, the badge design is being updated with something more "Pro" and "VR" :p

Still struggling to save for this but was heavily considering a GoFundMe to partially aid in the finances of a trip down for The Game Awards and PSX.
Definitely do this! No one *has* to pitch in some monies, so there's that. Though you have done a lot to give back to the NeoGAF community throughout the years, so it's not like you'd be in negative karma. ;-)

h0mebas3

Thanks for the suggestion about lining up early--I'm driving down from Las Vegas so I will factor that into my travel plan.

Edzi

Thanks for the suggestion about lining up early--I'm driving down from Las Vegas so I will factor that into my travel plan.

You don't have to get there super early, everyone who's saying that is exaggerating. There were people who lined up at like 2 in the morning last year, but I got there at 8 and still got a good seat for the keynote.

Neonep

You don't have to get there super early, everyone who's saying that is exaggerating. There were people who lined up at like 2 in the morning last year, but I got there at 8 and still got a good seat for the keynote.
Yep, same here.

h0mebas3

Thanks for the advice. I think I will make sure I'm there around 7-8 AM. Check in at the Anaheim Hotel and then walk over.

PS I love you XOXO is officially doing a live show on the Sunday of PSX! They did this last year and it was amazing and they had some awesome guests.

Blog post written by Greg Miller.

So, how about we do it in person? I’m proud to announce that the Internet’s No. 1 PlayStation podcast PS I Love You XOXO is coming back to PlayStation Experience 2016. On Sunday, December 4, Colin Moriarty, Tim Gettys, a bunch of special guests, and I will take the stage at 12:00 PM Pacific. We’ll cover everything that’s happened at PS Experience, give away games, and probably talk about why 7-year-olds have no chance at being great hockey players.

I started lining up at 3am both years. The first time that got me a 20th anniversary PS4. The second time just great seats for the keynote.

So I'm in need of some advice...

I've just tentatively booked a hotel for Friday thru Monday, trying to figure out if I should fly into Santa Ana or LAX

LAX has much cheaper flights available but I know it's like twice as far from the area as John Wayne....so I figure the cost might even itself out with transportation

Should I just go for the more expensive tickets to John Wayne? Never been to California so I have no idea what I'm doing, hah.

RiverKwai

Managed to finagle work schedule to fly into LA on Saturday for a Monday meeting. So, I got a Sunday ticket, and if the meetup is Saturday night, I'll be able to make that.

I started lining up at 3am both years. The first time that got me a 20th anniversary PS4. The second time just great seats for the keynote.
I'm happy to hear you're going for a third round!

I've just tentatively booked a hotel for Friday thru Monday, trying to figure out if I should fly into Santa Ana or LAX

LAX has much cheaper flights available but I know it's like twice as far from the area as John Wayne....so I figure the cost might even itself out with transportation

Should I just go for the more expensive tickets to John Wayne? Never been to California so I have no idea what I'm doing, hah.
How much of a price difference are you looking at?

The thing about LAX vs John Wayne is not only the distance, but that you'll also have to suffer through LA traffic. Just the thought makes me shudder! I don't know how you LA-GAFfers do it.

RiverKwai

Are you taking a cab to Anaheim or something? If that's the case, John Wayne will be like $45-55 each way and LAX will be double.that.

It's like $60-70 to rent a car for three days from SNA John Wayne. :)
Good luck!

How much of a price difference are you looking at?

The thing about LAX vs John Wayne is not only the distance, but that you'll also have to suffer through LA traffic. Just the thought makes me shudder! I don't know how you LA-GAFfers do it.
LAX has the cheapo option of Spirit for like 120 (probably closer $140 after fees) whereas the cheapest/most convenient to John Wayne is closer to $260

As I said, transportation (be it cab/shuttle/whatever) will probably even it out in the end. And yeah LA traffic is a fear, I've also heard horrid things about LAX itself

Are you taking a cab to Anaheim or something? If that's the case, John Wayne will be like $45-55 and LAX will be double.that.

It's like $60-70 to rent a car for three days from SNA John Wayne. :)
Good luck!
I'd almost rather pay more for a cab or something just so I don't have to worry about being responsible for the car, haha.

I was leaning towards John Wayne anyways, seems like the extra cost is worth the convenience. Thanks y'all

LAX has the cheapo option of Spirit for like 120 (probably closer $140 after fees) whereas the cheapest/most convenient to John Wayne is closer to $260
I can't speak for your tolerance level or your wallet, but I flew Spirit round trip once. Never ever again!

The airplane was filthy, the seats were stationary in their upright position, and I got nickled and dimed every step along the checkout process. After all their fees, I don't think they are much cheaper than anywhere else. And what little savings they might offer isn't enough for me to ever consider them again.

Where are you flying out of, if you don't mind me asking?

Neonep

Try checking if flying into Long Beach helps.

I can't speak for your tolerance level or your wallet, but I flew Spirit round trip once. Never ever again!

The airplane was filthy, the seats were stationary in their upright position, and I got nickled and dimed every step along the checkout process. After all their fees, I don't think they are much cheaper than anywhere else. And what little savings they might offer isn't enough for me to ever consider them again.

Where are you flying out of, if you don't mind me asking?
I just flew Spirit earlier this year, aside from the flight out being delayed from 7am to like.....10 due to weather, I didn't really care. As long as I'm not actually in harm's way I don't really care haha. If you don't add any extra stuff during checkout it stays cheap, if you're packing light for a weekend it's not a problem

Spending more isn't necessarily breaking the bank for me but I'm just trying to keep the weekend cost down as much as possible for my own sanity, hah. (though yeah at a certain point I'd rather spend a bit more to have a better experience)

Flying out of Chicago (O'Hare)

EDIT: Long Beach is even more expensive unfortunately. Will go with John Wayne

Timing is everything with these things, of course, but I was able to get a flight from O'Hare to John Wayne for $206.20 with American Airlines. That's for 12/01 through 12/05. What days/times are you looking at?
12/02 to 12/05. Right now with American Airlines I'm looking at $260 round trip, not terrible

12/02 to 12/05. Right now with American Airlines I'm looking at $260 round trip, not terrible

I'm not sure if it's viable for you, but Midway and Southwest has flights for a bit cheaper on those dates. Around 210 - 230. It was cheap enough for my wife to use her rewards points to get us 20$ flights, so I figured it would be cheaper. Maybe that will help you out :)

kdoll08

Does anyone know how we get our tickets for the show after we have paid? Do we get them at the box office or something?

Does anyone know how we get our tickets for the show after we have paid? Do we get them at the box office or something?

Last year you were able to go to the venue on Thursday and pick them up ahead of time and get your gift bag and other cool stuff. I would imagine it's the same this time around.

J-Tier

Can't wait to go this year. Will try to line up early!

Going to sign up on the doc when I'm in front of a computer later today.

Also, the Anaheim Packing District could be a cool place to hang out. The parking situation there is shite though, so not sure if that's the best idea.

I'm not sure if it's viable for you, but Midway and Southwest has flights for a bit cheaper on those dates. Around 210 - 230. It was cheap enough for my wife to use her rewards points to get us 20$ flights, so I figured it would be cheaper. Maybe that will help you out :)
I already booked with AA at O'Hare, thanks for the recommendation though! I actually went with a bit more expensive flight to SNA just to get there earlier around noon, solely because the original flight I picked was scheduled to get there at 4pm. For fear of delays I figured I'd rather not chance it (there's a meetup I want to make at 6pm)

Should be an awesome time!

Top Bottom