• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 players: Would you pay for a CoD/MW gaming service?

Much has been made in a few threads lately about Activision's desires to 'monetize' the multiplayer of CoD/MW.

Kotick said new game machines will be needed for publishers to better monetise online game play.

“We have always been platform agnostic. [Consoles] do a very good job of supporting the gamer. If we are going to broaden our audiences, we are going to need to have other devices.” Kotick said Activision will “very aggressively” support moves by Dell and HP to connect PCs to TVs.

Kotick said previously that consumers are “clamouring” for an online, subscription-based Call Of Duty service and that he’d love to launch one if possible.

I'm geniunely curious if any MW2 multiplayer players at GAF would be interested in such a paid service, or opposed to it, and under what terms you would participate.

If you are NOT a MW2 player then please state so, as you are obviously not in the target audience for such a service and your opinions aren't as relevant to Kotick's desires.

Getting back into MW2 - but I can tell you as an online gamer - nope. Wouldn't pay a dime. Hell - MW2 felt like a map pack, if anything. Fun to play - but what a ripoff, IMO.

Never would I pay to play an online shooter - MMORPG - MAYBE if the price is right.

As much as I love CoD, fuck no. If they kept a separate game line going through that way and then a separate stand alone line of CoD games that dont require it, then ok. But the day that CoD goes to something like a subscription based system is the day I have to say goodbye.

Just put out a map pack every month for 15 dollars as they are now, and you pretty much have millions paying a subscription for a COD MMO

hamchan

If it's a big open MMO world then I will gladly pay for a subscription based CoD. Not some glorified lobby system but something like WoW. There hasn't really been a proper MMOFPS and CoD is in the best position to make it happen.

Also I am not a MW2 player but a COD1,2,4 and 5 player. Why is my opinion not relevant?

BattleMonkey said:
Just put out a map pack every month for 15 dollars as they are now, and you pretty much have millions paying a subscription for a COD MMO

What percentage of the MW2 gamers are buying those packs? I know the gross revenue is huge, but would Activision want their player base to shrink to that size?

hamchan said:
Also I am not a MW2 player but a COD1,2,4 and 5 player. Why is my opinion not relevant?

I was thinking that anybody who isn't staying current with the series anymore probably isn't the target for such a service, but I suppose you are a potential customer.

krazen

It seems every FPS MMO has pretty much failed. COD has done a good job marrying FPS gameplay and some RPG custom-ability...but I don't know if they can push it to level where they would see repeat numbers.

I forsee problems even with the setup: getting a WOW type fully realized world with the current graphical standards of FPS would be a big uphill battle. On top of that, keeping it fresh enough to wean people from the Halo's, the Uncharted's, and any newcomers that chose to stay with the current main game+DLC model...

Only reason I kinda wanna see it happen is to have Activision get a L, lol.

As much as I like putting on MW2 from time to time and jumping in an online game, hell no. The fact that you can get into a game so quickly really helps.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kotick said previously that consumers are “clamouring” for an online, subscription-based Call Of Duty service and that he’d love to launch one if possible.

Who are these idiots?

With MW2, Im playing it for free, and sometimes I dont even feel like doing that! :lol

I love the the Call of Duty series and FPS, MW1 is my top played game of all time, so I wont say "No way!" because that would be a lie. It would depend on the game and what type of supports it was getting. I certainly wouldn't do it for MW2. For every high that game gives me (and when you are playing with people playing honorably, its GOOD STUFF), I get 5 lows that make me want to snap the disc into as many pieces as possible.

Haunted

ahahahahaha

thetrin said:
Who are these idiots?
Not posting on GAF, that's for sure.
Probable there's a fair amount here as well, afraid to speak up about it because of the deserved mocking they'd receive.

Beer Monkey said:
What percentage of the MW2 gamers are buying those packs? I know the gross revenue is huge, but would Activision want their player base to shrink to that size?.

Shrink yes, but having millions of players paying you monthly adds up quick. Toss in some activision milking like an item store for like... a sombrero or some stupid shit and you have a gold mine.

They know they can sell COD to it's fans each and every year without fail, so how about just charging them for it and just trickle new content to them on a constant basis instead of releasing a new game with minor incremental changes?

I'm sure it would succeed, while of course losing some people and pissing many off. But it's COD

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So how much longer do you think MW2 multiplayer will be up if Activision plans on rolling out an MMOFPS in the next couple years?

derder

I'd pay to have officially hosted dedicated servers. I mean, I used to pay $40 a month for a competitive CS server.

-viper-

Banned
fuck no. this shit is worst than paying for XBL.

anyone who agrees to pay monthly to play COD is a fucking idiot and deserves to be shot.

Charging £12 per map pack daylight fucking robbery too. Thankfully I got my map pack for free. I ain't going to give these bastards a penny of mine.

MW2 is such a successful game yet they're charging insane prices for the maps. And they're not even new maps. 2 of them are simply COD4 ports.

Loxley

Nope. No way they could ever convince me to do this, partially because they've nearly flat-out said they'd only do it because they know they would make shitloads of cash, and as such there's no heart behind it (meaning the developers didn't come up with this idea).

A.) I'm already paying for Live on a monthly basis, and I'm barely willing to do that, as such I'm already paying for multiplayer content.
B.) Why play a subscription-based CoD when I could just play CoD4, WaW, MW2 or (presumably) Black Ops for free already? You start charging for CoD multiplayer, you can be damn sure the communities for nearly every other CoD will remain intact, filled with people who don't want to invest in your boardroom bullshit.

Christ on a cracker Kotick is just completely self-unaware of what an almighty asshole he looks like anytime he talks now.

I'm addicted but I'd never pay monthly for ANY game. Honestly, they should be happy enough to get my purchase, period. I normally gamefly everything, but games like this are worth buying because I have like.. 570 hours of playtime on MW2.

axiomnightmare

Neo Member
Probably not unless the game was greatly expanded to Wow like depth with a huge overworld to explore and much more customization options. Even then it could be a hard sell.

Ashes

Banned
shitty timing considering that respawn jumped ship. People pay for XB live, so this would perhap make it harder to justify.
I have this image of a stand off between Activision and Microsoft whereby they end up sharing revenue streams from XB Live.
And If Microsoft play their cards right maybe a few more exclusive content by their way.

If the game attempted to do things on a different level from other console shooters...like some MMO/FPS hybrid with new maps being presented for free and patches coming instantly then I would have to check it out. But the scale would have to be on a completely different level from what they are doing down, and it would have to be under 5 dollars a month.

If it's just MW2 with more maps, instant patches and a ton of exclusive titles, emblems, and xp boosts then forget it.

survivor

Banned
Never. The whole idea of games for me is a one time pay. Plus outside of the initial 2 weeks, I don't play COD games everyday so having subscription base model is useless to me.

REV 09

i don't think that i would pay monthly for any game at the moment. There are just too many alternatives. They would have to significantly change the way the game is distributed for me to play monthly. I would also expect new and engaging content to be added to the service on a monthly basis to justify my subscription.

If they want me to just pay monthly for the same stuff that we're getting now then they can forget it. i'll just play something else. This model will only work when DD has taken over and game quality has plateaued. Then it would make sense to do subscription based seasons instead of boxed sequels.

Flunkie

Banned
Fuck no. I have already stopped buying Activision games new on purpose, haven't bought any DLC from them, etc. They get no more of my money.

Nope. Same as the above posters - I'm done with Activision and their DLC for the games I already own.

I will be playing Halo Reach anyway when Black Ops comes out.

vocab

Maybe if CoD was good, and balanced like it was back in the day. Since that will never happen, Kotick can go fuck him self once again.

gdt

Haven't picked up MW2 yet (I'm getting to it) but I played a SHITTON of MW1...but no way in hell would I pay monthly for one game.

I'm not calling for a boycott, I'm just not going to let community peer pressure make me encourage Activision's ruthlessly exploitative and completely 'community-disrespecting' business strategy. I can't think of any other major company that has held such a predatory attitude towards their fans.

Haunted

water_wendi said:
Well we all know how CoD boycotts go, amirite? mw2boycott.jpg
That fun Steam screenshot notwithstanding, there are quite a few GAFers who made true on their promise not to buy MW2, me included.

Genesis Knight said:
I'm not calling for a boycott, I'm just not going to let community peer pressure make me encourage Activision's ruthlessly exploitative and completely 'community-disrespecting' business strategy. I can't think of any other major company that has held such a predatory attitude towards their fans.
Most of the bug publishers do, Activision and Kotick are just the only ones who aren't sugar-coating their words/actions.

Exploiting franchises, monetising gameplay hours and charging people for previously free content. They just flat out say they're going to fuck you over instead of nicely asking you to bend over to pick up your present like the other companies do.

If it was COD4 and giving me at least 1 or 2 new maps every month for free, then yes.

But it has to be COD4, not that shitfest that's called MW2.

Top Bottom