• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire the Mafia |OT| A Game of Masquerade

Fat4all

Banned
We should just lynch down the list alphabetically. It's already effectively randomly distributed, so there's no way the method could be worse than anything else on Day One.

Says the person closer to the bottom of the list than the top ;)

Fat4all

Banned
hmm, considering how Gorlak is talking, i.e. talking to themselves, maybe Gorlak is actually a malkavian?

I was wondering what kind of role a malkavian would have in this, and I think they would be town aligned, but might show up as conspiracy because of how nuts they are if they are investigated. Maybe that's why they would claim on day one?

I wouldn't know for sure though, I only have a surface level understanding of VtMB :/

There may be evil malkavians or sommit I don't know about.

squidyj

hmm, considering how Gorlak is talking, i.e. talking to themselves, maybe Gorlak is actually a malkavian?

I was wondering what kind of role a malkavian would have in this, and I think they would be town aligned, but might show up as conspiracy because of how nuts they are if they are investigated. Maybe that's why they would claim on day one?

I wouldn't know for sure though, I only have a surface level understanding of VtMB :/

There may be evil malkavians or sommit I don't know about.

I would prefer if we didn't speculate about gorlak. he's said he's going to claim, let him claim. I'd rather consider that claim on it's own merits than amidst a storm of speculation

batsnacks

Ah, was probably some replacing at work? Never mind, doesn't matter anyway.

Hey bats, tell me who do you want to lynch?

And sorry Mr. squidyj, hopefully won't happen again.

If we had to lynch in the next hour I would go with StMeph. Squidj suggested a policy lynch at the beginning, if town stmeph really wants to policy he could just sheep squid and be closer to a random policy lynch.

Zubz

Banned
Oh ho ho no. I voted for Blarg in the Star Wars game, and he ended up being the Seer. Can we wait for a Cryptogram or 2 before we start even looking at him? Dude hasn't even shown up to rant/rave yet.

Besides, he also claimed Imperial in Star Wars game despite being a Rebel. Blarg will put enough pressure on himself in due time.

Zubz

Banned
To answer Fat4all, there are definitely evil Malkavians. Hell, there aren't even good clans. IIRC, the game's villains were a mix of clans.

Also, this is a very boring Day 1, I must add.

working from home the next three days so I should be on, or at least around.

Vampire doesn't really have "good guys" and "bad guys" per se. The biggest dichotomy would be Camarilla vs Sabbat.

Basically the Camarilla believes the Masquerade should be maintained to hide vampires from humans, and that a strict order should be in place to ensure everyone does their part and doesn't fuck it up for everyone. Largely ruled by the Ventrue "princes" of each city.

The Anarchs are largely Camarilla clans who accept the need for a Masquerade, but don't think that there needs to be a strict "vampire government" in place.

The Sabbat on the other hand are of the "fuck this, we're vampires and humans are food" and have 0 undead fucks to give. They do whatever they want and generally revel in undeath. After all, they're all going to experience Final Death anyway come Gehenna, which is basically the vampire apocalypse. (TL;DR version, the antidiluvian vampires are thought to be clan founders, and they can only get sustenance from eating other vampires.)

That is a very broad overview, naturally, and it ignores all sorts of other things that are non-vampires that still interfere with vampire society (like mages and their space lasers destroying an antidiluvian; not making that up). But you get the gist of it.

Zubz

Banned
I'm down for a lynch, but Blarg seems like such a random target for lynching.

I mean, some people find him confusing unless he's got intel... And even then, it's in a distracting manner. I wouldn't do it, but I could see why someone would. Doubly so for Squidy, who likes to hammer down on things.

Trigger

Could you expand on what you mean here? both parts.

It's always in town's interests to lynch Day 1. I've always believed that regardless of the game. As far as Blarg is concerned, I understand the argument for lynching him, but he hasn't posted yet unless I skimmed over it. It just feels strange to target him for past behavior before he's even engaged in the current game.

Fat4all

Banned
I think I'll wait a bit before I vote.

Still got like three days left, and still have a lot of people not contributing :/

Zubz

Banned
Maybe people forgot it started last night and/or wanted to wait until today? Either way, I'm waiting until we're closer to the wire.

El Topo

I will remind those that have not yet joined (assuming they stay missing) via PM that the game has, indeed, begun. That said, everyone is free to play as they want and contribute at their own volition.
The Day phase lasts four real days for a reason.

Those who are MIA thus far...

2 [m] Blargonaut
3 [m] Dr. Worm
8 [m] infinit777
9 [m] Mazre
10 [m] MickD
12 [m] Satanic Saint
15 [f] Swamped

Can someone go wake them up?

Mazre

Squidys gone fishing, Gorlak is being a tease and not much else is going on.

And it looks like now you can discuss how I suddenly showed up when people mentioned that not everyone had showed up yet, despite the fact that virtually everyone who has showed up to this point has said pretty much nothing. Off to work.

MickD

The only thing I know about this game is youtube walkthrough videos. Ive tried to purchase but I can't (mac). Can anyone fill me in on a storyline ?

The only thing I know about this game is youtube walkthrough videos. Ive tried to purchase but I can't (mac). Can anyone fill me in on a storyline ?

Game Specific Rules:

General Information:
  • This game is loosely based on the cult classic Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. All roles other than Ordinary roles are based on characters in that game.
  • Due to the nature of this mafia game, the video game may be spoilered, at least in part, due to Role PMs.
  • If you are not acquainted with the game, more information on the game and the characters can be found at these sites:
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines Wiki
    General White Wolf Wiki
  • While flavor was very important to me in the creation of this game, the fun comes first.
  • If you have any question, if anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to contact me here, at Outer Gafia or on Discord.

Maybe someone else can give you the tl;dr.

Gorlak

Banned
Gorlak are you maf'ing? You maf'ing bro?

This is my new slang thats sweeping the vampire nation everyone is using it

Youngling, I do not know what kind of language you are using. Show some respect to the elder.

What I do know is that you throw shade at StMeph because he suggested a "random" lynch but did not bandwaggon Blarg.

While I have my own problem with his suggestion, the connection to squidyj's idea you're trying to make here isn't there. You'll have to explain that further otherwise you give off the impression to make a hollow case (on something which could be tackled properly)

batsnacks

Youngling, I do not know what kind of language you are using. Show some respect to the elder.

What I do know is that you throw shade at StMeph because he suggested a "random" lynch but did not bandwaggon Blarg.

While I have my own problem with his suggestion, the connection to squidyj's idea you're trying to make here isn't there. You'll have to explain that further otherwise you give off the impression to make a hollow case (on something which could be tackled properly)

I know what you're saying my point is "Blarg" doesn't seem any less random than "absolutebro"

And if random is what meph wants there was already a vote on blarg

Though it's not necessary to be entirely familiar with the source material to play the game.

What are your thoughts on the proceedings thus far? Anything that catches your attention?

Gorlak

Banned
I'm expecting:

Unnamed vampires of all clans
Named characters with special powers
Werewolf
Ghoul (humans feeding on the blood of the vamp, mere addicted servants for their vamp, see avatar)
Possibly some outlandish vampires from other settings, or maybe even non vampires (Van Helsing? Robin Hood?)

I wonder how the different groups (Anarchs, Camarilla, Sabbat, Kuei-Jin) fit in this setting.

batsnacks

I don't get it.
One might say he's maf'ing around

giphy.gif

Gorlak

Banned
I know what you're saying my point is "Blarg" doesn't seem any less random than "absolutebro"

Hmm, don't stay implicit. You'll have to work me through your thoughts. Why do you think it's important to point that out? I'd argue random is random and you are right with the first sentence. But why is "he should vote Blarg over AB because of squidyj's vote" your conclusion?

Trigger

Any idea on anything/Factions?

We have role PMs and the sample role PM which more or less tell us who the main town and mafia factions are. I don't know if the lore is particularly helpful here anyway since just about any role claim could work with the game's setting.

El Topo

I will give a detailed summary of the plot of the original game later, although I don't think it is necessary for the game.

The general gist of the main plot of the original game:
An ancient sarcophagus is brought to the city, which causes unease among the vampires of the city and leads many to believe that it houses an Antideluvian, an ancient, godlike vampire. The factions of the city all conspire to get their hands on the sarcophagus and the prince of the city, LaCroix, sends the protagonist on its hunt.

Over the course of the game the player becomes involved in the battle raging in the city, as e.g. the Sabbat becomes active. It is revealed that the Giovanni, a perverse clan composed of members of the same family, stole the sarcophagus. Upon locating the sarcophagus the protagonist also learns that LaCroix had struck a deal with Ming Xiao, the leader of the Kuei-Jin, bitter enemies of the Western vampires.

The prince subsequently sends the protagonist into a trap and tries to have him killed. It also becomes clear by now that he plans to drain the Antediluvian and gain his powers. Depending on the decisions made throughout the game the protagonist then has various choices on who to join and what to do. Just don't open the sarcophagus.

There is much more to the story though and many, many characters play a role. You also encounter ghosts, zombies, werewolves and a demon. Whether or not these characters are in the game, whether I even borrowed roles from other games or related material, is something you will have to find out. The only character you can rule out is Isaac Abrams, who plays an important role in the game and who got killed pre-mafia game. Think of this as an alternate universe.

I will say though that ordinary vampires are unrelated to the game and that their flavor is just there to make those players feel special. There is no deeper meaning.

batsnacks

Hmm, don't stay implicit. You'll have to work me through your thoughts. Why do you think it's important to point that out? I'd argue random is random and you are right with the first sentence. But why is "he should vote Blarg over AB because of squidyj's vote" your conclusion?
I don't really know how to explain it different. What was your issue with StMeph's suggestion? Also I want to ping Mazre's post what do you think about him.

Gorlak

Banned
I absolutely do not understand how you come to the conclusion that if he wants a random lynch he should vote Blarg.

You're going as far as wanting to lynch him for this. You delivered no explanation.

Hey everyone,
I just got to work, I read up on all of the chatter that's been going around and have came to the conclusion that the obvious choice is for me to

Vote: squidyj

I have not experienced Blargonaut so I feel that trying to dictate a persons fate at the beginning of the game for unrelated reasons should result in lynching.

>:{

Yo squidyj, we might be able to add batsnacks to your list

as to voting blarg, I'll wait for his actual shenanigans before passing final judgement
I'm expecting:

Unnamed vampires of all clans
Named characters with special powers
Werewolf
Ghoul (humans feeding on the blood of the vamp, mere addicted servants for their vamp, see avatar)
Possibly some outlandish vampires from other settings, or maybe even non vampires (Van Helsing? Robin Hood?)

I wonder how the different groups (Anarchs, Camarilla, Sabbat, Kuei-Jin) fit in this setting.
I almost forgot there was a Kuei-Jin in Bloodlines. I'm guessing the focus will be more on Anarchs vs Camarilla though.

Swamped

Banned
Ahhhh it's been so long...the smell of fresh blood is unparalleled! Say what you will about D1, but I love it.

VOTE: Ynnek7

He ain't maf'ing hard enough

Gorlak has a power that he can only use if he votes for himself and it remains there at day end

Ahhhh it's been so long...the smell of fresh blood is unparalleled! Say what you will about D1, but I love it.

VOTE: Ynnek7

He ain't maf'ing hard enough

Gorlak has a power that he can only use if he votes for himself and it remains there at day end

Hi Swamped, you look well. Blood rose cheeks and all. I was wondering when you'd show.

Why did you mention Gorlak's abilities?

Hello vampires. Its such a lovely day outside. Do we really need to lynch someone? I, for one am not going to commit such a savage act and hence refuse to vote. Everyone deserves a fair trial and its foolish to vote someone up on the stand without any evidence.

I say lets wait for one more day, let me investigate and find out who is evil and we'll lynch them tomorrow.

batsnacks

I absolutely do not understand how you come to the conclusion that if he wants a random lynch he should vote Blarg.

You're going as far as wanting to lynch him for this. You delivered no explanation.
Blarg is no less random than absolutebro you said so yourself. If meph just wants to lynch a rando why not blarg who already has a vote?

Goal: lynch random person
Means to the goal: votes
Situation: a random lynch has already been proposed (blarg) and voted on (by squid)

The most efficient means to the goal is to vote the random target that has already been proposed and voted on. Advocating a second random target is counter productive to the goal.

thats my issue with meph's proposal. What was yours? Also mazre.

Top Bottom