• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire the Mafia |OT| A Game of Masquerade

CHAPTER EIGHT

"You're serious about this, aren't you?" He remarked, incredulous. "Alright, then. This is what you do. You see the other customers here in this diner?"

I nodded, already gauging them up.

"Well, okay. So, after you get up from this booth, you approach any one of those tables for me and say something, like, uh... Okay, how about this: 'Hi. Enjoying your meal? Sorry to bother you, but congratulations, by still being here, you have demonstrated the requisite patience and-or free time to both withstand and sustain the kind of text-based combat that a player will undoubtedly face in Mafia: The Party Game. In Mafia game-jargon, we call the gameplay application of this skill-set: 'contributing'. 'Contributing' is the most desirable and not to mention life-extending attribute a Mafia player may exhibit, or flaunt. So, how do you put your demonstrated natural aptitude for playing Mafia: The Party Game to good use, you ask? Well, Mafia: The Party Game isn't pen-and-paper like Dungeons & Dragons or something like that. It's far simpler, and far more fluid to play. Actually, it's like a board-game, really; the game-board is set up by a host, each player gets their piece to use and then the game starts, turn-by-turn. Easy! A game of Mafia can have any amount of players, but the particular online forum-based ones we host on NeoGAF usually have a range from about eleven to twenty-five players per game. Over six Seasons of gameplay on GAF, we've found this range to be the so-called Goldilocks Zone of player amount with regards to fun; just ask Burbeting, GAFia's resident Player Count Expert. He knows. Anyway, each game of Mafia has a Host, who created the game-thread and moderates it. A game may last a number of weeks, usually one or two months, at the most. Scared of such a commitment of your time in the name of entertainment? Don't be! Once you sign-up, step up and harness that abject fear against us from within our player roster rather than from without, soon you'll understand that because we're taking over Off-Topic Community side and have been doing so for six consecutive Seasons of games unopposed with us now on the eve of our seventh Season which shall no doubt be the crown jewel of our burgeoning domain, you'd have definitely made the correct, most well-informed decision of your NeoGAF-lifetime in having chosen to get in on this Forum Party Game shit A.S.A.P., because FakeGAF, PopGAF and AnimeGAF don't stand an utter fucking chance against this ruthless expansionist tendency of ours; with every new Game Thread we're ludologically encroaching, with every new Game Thread we're toyetically incorporating, with every new Game Thread we're like total synergy and hella popular, you'd best BELIEVE this player's cyber-meritocracy stays at the top of that Off-Topic Community Page One Leaderboard not because we spam but because we're fam: -ily, -ous and -ished for mutual Member perfection like no other GAF Off-Topic Community is or ever will be so down with dusty empires and up with our highlight sunrise upon the crumbling roads of yore made anew, sof eel like we do again, yeah? But I digress; Mafia: The Party Game is: team-based, text-based and time-based, and 'commitment' to a game of Mafia involves you, dear player, being just as -based, yeah?' So, while you're saying that to distract them, I'll sneak up behind them, and then pounce for the feed. You think you can do that for me?" he said.

I nodded again. "Got it," I said.

"Okay," he replied. I glimpsed his fangs as I saw him lick his lips in anticipation. After a moment of contemplation, he said, pointing, "Okay, over there. Go."

I nervously stood up from the midst of our broken table, bits of shattered glass crunching under my feet as I walked over to the counter stools, where a bunch of people were still eating their diner meals. Stay cool, B'la, I told myself. You can do this.

Gorlak

Banned
Dear B'la,

I wholeheartly enjoy your vampire series you publish every now and then. I'm joyfully looking forward to every new piece!

I've been a fan since the apocalyptic days of Cthulhu. This vast journey into the madness of a blessed writer struggling for his life was a life-changing experience for me. There is this question lingering on the tip of my tongue since the first days...

Have you heard of the daughters of Janus, the two-faced god?

K??p ?p th? g??d w?rk

Zubz

Banned
Letters from the Fans

Letter #1

Dear Fat4all,

My apologies; although I am self-published, it is against my best and future career interests to divulge upcoming content via an exclusive platform of any kine.

Thank you for your pledge and your sincere understanding.

Many thanks,
The Author​

I'd prefer it if we'd keep this game free of slurs, thank you.

Fat4all

Banned

C8rlE2Q.png

those poor subjected cows

Gorlak

Banned
bats, I still disagree with your logic. Voting B'la as a means to come closer to a successfull random lynch instead of AB is nothing I would vote StMeph for. It's a superficial justification to go after someone especially with only one active vote among 20 people.

My personnal distaste lies within the random element itself. That ain't maf'in enough. But gafia doesn't fall for this anyway. I'd prefer a no lynch, but everyone wants to see blood and believe me, we always find a better reason than coincidence to lynch a poor soul.

You want to shine the light at Mazre?
Squidys gone fishing, Gorlak is being a tease and not much else is going on.

And it looks like now you can discuss how I suddenly showed up when people mentioned that not everyone had showed up yet, despite the fact that virtually everyone who has showed up to this point has said pretty much nothing. Off to work.
You want my opinion on that?

He's spot on with the observation and gives a snark remark about contributions, while doing the same. Yeah, I got a fine impression of him now. Obviously he's town as fuck, what else would this sublime piece of art generate in your mind?

heather is apparently a character that unavoidably dies in the game I looked it up 8)
All you have to do is to set her free... let her go and she'll live forever, always the hardest part of the game.

when are we getting that role claim gorlak?
What are you, hot-head, talking about?

---
Swamped, you seem awfully non-committal. You love D1, but don't post? You like to be a coaster, standing on the sideline & letting others do the dirty work? That's exactly what scum would do.

Vote: swamped

Aye Trigger what's on your mind? You're pro-lynch and are interested in me it seems, nothing else catching your attention?

Satanic Saint feel lectured for preemptive claiming shizzles, someone has to.

Fat4all

Banned
I will say that being pro day-one lynch is an easy thing to be, but actually choosing a target for that lynch is pretty hard. That's why a lot of people seem to go for a RNG vote (at least at first).

It's nearly a literal crapshoot.

Fat4all

Banned
My RNG pick will be overly elaborant and for no real reason other than having too much time on my hands.

So at least there's that.

Gorlak

Banned
Look at this beautiful creature - lying in pain, clinging to life while breathing her last...
One could play with her
OooOh a new toy, yes. yes
*ngh*... *mmh*
Dream sweet my little child
SECURITY HELP

she was no fun
she will be
that's how it's going to be yeah?

Trigger

Well the real value of Day 1 lynch is getting people to be active enough to generate a vote pattern. I don't know if we'll ever be successful enough to hit scum. It's a crap shoot, but really we just want to see people pull....the trigger.

see what I did there?

Aye Trigger what's on your mind? You're pro-lynch and are interested in me it seems, nothing else catching your attention?

Nothing particularly interesting,no.

Gorlak

Banned
I will say that being pro day-one lynch is an easy thing to be, but actually choosing a target for that lynch is pretty hard. That's why a lot of people seem to go for a RNG vote (at least at first).

It's nearly a literal crapshoot.
My RNG pick will be overly elaborant and for no real reason other than having too much time on my hands.

So at least there's that.

Nah, come on. We clearly have suspicious people walking among our midst, don't hide behind "random" when you can call out bats for faulty logic or clash with squidyj over anything really. Lynch no one, lynch an inactive, lynch that suspicious fellow next door, lynch anyone but always justify your vote ~ if you don't I'll be after you.

Fat4all

Banned
Nah, come on. We clearly have suspicious people walking among our midst, don't hide behind "random" when you can call out bats for faulty logic or clash with squidyj over anything really. Lynch no one, lynch an inactive, lynch that suspicious fellow next door, lynch anyone but always justify your vote ~ if you don't I'll be after you.

the justifications that have popped up so far aren't enough for me.

You talking weird, or Blarg talking wierd, or bats, or Christina or etc.

They've shown small reasons to vote against them, but not anything I can claim a firm vote on yet.

I'd rather leave it up to my flamboyant random pick (at least for now, its not like it couldn't change).

Swamped

Banned
Actually Swamped, can you elaborate more on this? What exactly about Dusk Soldier's statement tipped you off?

At that point I thought you had 3 votes including Dusk's. It sounded like he didn't want to band wagon but accidentally did, and that it would look even worse to unvote right away. I may be grasping at straws but I want to keep an eye on Dusk.

Love what you're reading? Support the author on Patreon at:
VOTE: Christina Mackenzie​

Sneaky...got this vote sandwiched between your tomes and nobody really remarked on it. That's three votes on CM. You've officially started a bandwagon.

Swamped, you seem awfully non-committal. You love D1, but don't post? You like to be a coaster, standing on the sideline & letting others do the dirty work? That's exactly what scum would do.

Vote: swamped

I am really bad at scum hunting and fully expect other more competent people to do the work 8D. I mean, I can trust at least 80% of you people right?!?!?! But I can tell you who I'm leaning towards voting and who I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for at this point. I would vote for Dusk, Blarg, Zubz and MickD to name a few. Would not vote for Satanic Saint or AB (AbsolutBro) at this point. I think Fat4all is ok too.

Ynnek came back and posted. Going to change my vote.

VOTE: MickD

Fat4all

Banned
hmm, maybe I shouldn't randomly vote after all.

thinking about it there are a lot of posts coming up that are weird-ish or at least worth going over in more detail.

But I'm still not committed to a vote just yet, not before going to bed at least :/

Swamped

Banned
While I want to make sure MickD doesn't continue coasting, I think this is actually a more fun vote so I decided to change it:

VOTE: Blargonaut

Anyone know why Bl'a's vote on CM is not showing up?

Dr. Worm

Banned
Just popping in to say that I actually enjoy Blargonaut's RPs; he's a cool guy in my book.

Not really a fan of people wanting to lynch him because of that. It's a game, we're having fun. Lighten up.

Fat4all

Banned
I mean, voting for Blarg for being Blarg is wack to me, but on reflection it's not like they are contributing a whole lot.

I mean, it's not like I'm contributing a whole lot either, but I'm trying to stay involved at least .

fake edit: Holy shit, I say 'I mean' a lot :\

Gorlak

Banned
Blarg always finds a way to format his posts so that his votes aren't captured by the tool.

I almost voted for you Fat. You're insistence on random vote seems odd to me and yet you're sudden change looks very much like you were advised by you scum partners to rethink that position.

Nice hearing from you swamped, can you explain why you would vote Zubz in particular?

Vote: Christian Mackenzie
*choo choo*

Fat4all

Banned
Blarg always finds a way to format his posts so that his votes aren't captured by the tool.

well shit, I didn't know this might be a common trend.

also, now I have to think of what to do with my RNG papers i had planned. I suppose I'll recycle them.

I'll take a picture first at least, at least. That terrible font can't be ignored.

Swamped

Banned
Just popping in to say that I actually enjoy Blargonaut's RPs; he's a cool guy in my book.

Not really a fan of people wanting to lynch him because of that. It's a game, we're having fun. Lighten up.

I like you. In fact, people who want to lynch him for his 'style' are suspicious to me. Lynch him because you think he is scum, not because he is a distraction.

Nice hearing from you swamped, can you explain why you would vote Zubz in particular?

Yeah, mostly because of this post:

Maybe people forgot it started last night and/or wanted to wait until today? Either way, I'm waiting until we're closer to the wire.

It's a safe position to take. To me, it reads like Zubz doesn't really want to start/contribute to any bandwagons this early. He wants to wait last minute when things are more chaotic with the votes. He wants to know who the front runners will be before making a choice. Maybe because it will be easier to shift blame afterwards if we vote for town.

Gorlak

Banned
Fat:

Nicely dogded. What is it, random vote or maf'ing?

You obviously post a lot and seem to follow the thread, do you mind to put out some views of yours? Who stands out, what is the most suspicious behaviour so far, who would you vote right now? What do you think of the less active people? Is there someone trying to hide his scumminess by not posting?

Fat4all

Banned
Well, I'm glad to of passed your metric, so I'll tell you a bit of what I think at this moment.

Looking at the game right now, besides the bolder outliers (Gorlak, Blarg, bats, Swamped perhaps), I've been actually hoping to see more from two people in the game that I haven't heard much from yet. Maybe they are busy with life or what have you, but I'm not a fan of people playing safe too much.

My note pad has infinit777 and Ynnek7 on it. Circled.

Now Ynnek7 right now I'm wavering on because their first big post was quite good, but all it really did was summarize a lot of what has happened so far. We haven't got that much other than that, but they did point out Blargs madness before even I realized it, so that's something I guess. They have said they havetime issues though, so maybe that's just how it's gonna be for now. I'd still like to see more from them around talking.

on the other hand, infinit777 has been taking a very hands-off approach to this game so far. Their post was a bit "throw-away" like and also had a hard vote for squidyj for really no other reason than they voted for Blarg (at least, from what I can tell). As I've said before, I can see why voting for Blarg might pop up early, and even though I don't agree with it it's a stance I can understand. So voting against a player because they voted for Blarg seems weird to me.

Both suffer from not having enough of a voice out there, I'm sure both could explain their stances further if given the opportunity (and I hope they will).

And if that comes to pass, I'm gonna start looking more inward, at the more obvious choices. Blarg, Gorlak, bats maybe, I dunno. There's more to look at then I first thought.

That's where I am at the moment I suppose.

Fat4all

Banned
I suppose I'm more critical of people who don't post as much because of how I post, but I still think It's important that people get involved more.

My note pad has infinit777 and Ynnek7 on it. Circled.

on the other hand, infinit777 has been taking a very hands-off approach to this game so far. Their post was a bit "throw-away" like and also had a hard vote for squidyj for really no other reason than they voted for Blarg (at least, from what I can tell). As I've said before, I can see why voting for Blarg might pop up early, and even though I don't agree with it it's a stance I can understand. So voting against a player because they voted for Blarg seems weird to me.

Both suffer from not having enough of a voice out there, I'm sure both could explain their stances further if given the opportunity (and I hope they will).

Hey, sorry I do most of my gaf posting at work and this is my first Mafia game. I am trying to get a feel for everything first.

As for me voting for squidyj, it was because i feel that if they are going to try to start casting first blood, I would think that they were trying to thin the heard. That may not be a good enough reason, and if so I apologize.

I keep seeing the term scum in here, is this a term i should know ?

So blarg's had a chance to make some posts, does anyone want to revise their opinion on the usefulness of keeping blarg around?

I love this so far, I want him to be around forever lol.

Dear Blarg,
Your last few chapters have really been exciting, though I noticed the slight plagerism in chapter 8, is there a reason you didn't site your sources on that part? Either way, keep up the good work.

Your new fan,
-Infinit777

I like you. In fact, people who want to lynch him for his 'style' are suspicious to me. Lynch him because you think he is scum, not because he is a distraction.

What if I think he's scum because he is distracting? *mindblown*

Anyway, Gorlak's protoblarg act being no less distracting, but for now I am inclined to believe both are actually town.

I doubt there is anything malicious behind StMeph's "down the list" suggestion either.

had more, but I'm working and lost my train of thought. I'll go back and see if I can find it

Letters from the Fans

Letter #1
Dear B'la,

I wholeheartly enjoy your vampire series you publish every now and then. I'm joyfully looking forward to every new piece!

I've been a fan since the apocalyptic days of Cthulhu. This vast journey into the madness of a blessed writer struggling for his life was a life-changing experience for me. There is this question lingering on the tip of my tongue since the first days...

Have you heard of the daughters of Janus, the two-faced god?

K??p ?p th? g??d w?rk

Dear Gorlak,

Thank you for being a dedicated fan! I appreciate it very much. Indeed, I do it for you and everyone else who loves my work.

Kindly please direct all your convention- and cosplay-related questions to my literary agent. You will find the relevant contact details in the same place you found this mailing address.

Many thanks,
The Author

Letter #2

Dear Zubz,

My sincerest apologies if I have offended you in any way with my previous replies. Although, I must say that that particular word in question was a typo; I had meant to type "kind", but I must have accidentally erred in my stressed state of work-induced drowsiness.

I have decided to let go of my editor; a very kine individual who has worked with me for quite a while, but I simply cannot condone such terrible things escaping unchecked, not even once.

Again, I am sorry.

Best regards,
The Author

Letter #3
C8rlE2Q.png

those poor subjected cows

Dear Fat4all,

Again, I have nothing but the utmost respect for all livestock and livestock-related accessories.

Best regards,
The Author

Letter #4
While I want to make sure MickD doesn't continue coasting, I think this is actually a more fun vote so I decided to change it:

VOTE: Blargonaut

Anyone know why Bl'a's vote on CM is not showing up?

O Queen of the Damned,

Your Illustriousness, in fashion lowly do I supplicate myself afore thee. Deign to absolve of sin the sly transgressor within this soul indentured, and thou wilt discover what perplexes thee so.

Acolytically,
Your Devoted​

batsnacks

What if I think he's scum because he is distracting? *mindblown*

Anyway, Gorlak's protoblarg act being no less distracting, but for now I am inclined to believe both are actually town.

I doubt there is anything malicious behind StMeph's "down the list" suggestion either.

had more, but I'm working and lost my train of thought. I'll go back and see if I can find it
These are really sketchy reads...

blarg hasnt done anything alignment indicative of him yet imo... I think it's weird for someone to believe at this point that this is either town or mafia blarg

I can think of reasons for gorlak being town but the proto blarg act isnt them

And I think there are reasons to believe stmeph's "lynch down the list" suggestion could be malicious.

These could be reads from a mafia absolutebro, none of them seem like believable reasons to town read people. Its sort of like he's focusing on scummy attributes but is posting town reads to stay passive.

Dr. Worm

Banned
It's a safe position to take. To me, it reads like Zubz doesn't really want to start/contribute to any bandwagons this early. He wants to wait last minute when things are more chaotic with the votes. He wants to know who the front runners will be before making a choice. Maybe because it will be easier to shift blame afterwards if we vote for town.

It's a fair stance to take, I think.

Day 1 is awkward because we have nothing to go on. We just have people half-starting shit just to get drama going, if only so we can try to tie people together in later rounds. Some people might want to keep their heads down - maybe they just don't want to be targeted, by anyone, for whatever reason.

I'm mostly reticent about bandwagoning right now because there's nothing to suggest going one way or another. If someone trips up or whatever, I'll vote them, but I just want to see the arguments people are making before I do something rash and town loses one of their own needlessly.

I understand the mindset, and I don't find it suspicious, but I don't share in it.

These are really sketchy reads...

blarg hasnt done anything alignment indicative of him yet imo... I think it's weird for someone to believe at this point that this is either town or mafia blarg

I can think of reasons for gorlak being town but the proto blarg act isnt them

And I think there are reasons to believe stmeph's "lynch down the list" suggestion could be malicious.

These could be reads from a mafia absolutebro, none of them seem like believable reasons to town read people. Its sort of like he's focusing on scummy attributes but is posting town reads to stay passive.

This is... reaching to a crazy degree batsnacks.

D1 there is not a lot to go on, so it's mostly down to gut reads. Like, despite finding Blarg posts largely distracting and unhelpful, I do not think they are a scumtell or anything. It's just blarg. Hence, I lean town. Same with Gorlak. Same with Meph.

This post, otoh, sort of reminds me of Overwatch though...

Also, there's no e in my name. Might want to post your vote with the correct name for Flush's tool.

batsnacks

It sounds like you're giving out town reads for no reason which... why do that as town

Mafia wants to give out town reads because they have perfect info. Everyone likes to be right, town reading people makes them town read you.

Town is suspicious of people because they have no info. They don't give out town reads unless they're earned somehow.

It doesn't sound like blarg/gorl/meph earned those reads you just sort of gave them out, the term for that is "spew." Mafia "spews" townies. I don't think that's reaching.

Hobohodo

As expected Blarg is being Blarg, but seeing as its Day 1 I'm not to hung up on Blargs antics yet. If it continues then I'm willing to have the 'noise to signal' convo down the line, but not right now. I'm also not particularly invested in Blargs story =/

I forget who it was now (on mobile) but im gonna assume the player who said 'let me investigate' didn't mean it literally and the almost role claim like posts were just in response to someone pointing it out, that or they are being really blunt in trying to get night killed.

Timeaisis

Dear Blarg,

I stopped reading after Chapter 6.

Love,
Time

Some thoughts:
Blarg and Gorlak are being annoying, but not suspect, as of yet. They haven't really said much of substance.

It's a fair stance to take, I think.

Day 1 is awkward because we have nothing to go on. We just have people half-starting shit just to get drama going, if only so we can try to tie people together in later rounds. Some people might want to keep their heads down - maybe they just don't want to be targeted, by anyone, for whatever reason.

I'm mostly reticent about bandwagoning right now because there's nothing to suggest going one way or another. If someone trips up or whatever, I'll vote them, but I just want to see the arguments people are making before I do something rash and town loses one of their own needlessly.

I understand the mindset, and I don't find it suspicious, but I don't share in it.

This is... reaching to a crazy degree batsnacks.

D1 there is not a lot to go on, so it's mostly down to gut reads. Like, despite finding Blarg posts largely distracting and unhelpful, I do not think they are a scumtell or anything. It's just blarg. Hence, I lean town. Same with Gorlak. Same with Meph.

This post, otoh, sort of reminds me of Overwatch though...

Also, there's no e in my name. Might want to post your vote with the correct name for Flush's tool.

Everytime someone says something to the extent of "day one is not super useful" I imagine that they have nothing better to say and are just posting an obligatory defense or to fill content.

Anyway, Fat, you are very talkative. Still into the RNG day one vote?

VOTE: Fat4All

batsnacks

Everytime someone says something to the extent of "day one is not super useful" I imagine that they have nothing better to say and are just posting an obligatory defense or to fill content.

pretend I said this about what absolutebro said too cause this applies. AB scum.

Vote: AbsolutBro

Top Bottom