• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"there may be a SM64-style Mario game coming for the Switch" -- is wishful thinking

rex

That's one of the better levels in M64, but I what I don't like about that style is that you start at the same point for like seven times, the beginning is always the same, and some missions have similar paths. I'd rather have seven linear levels than one level with padding and seven stars.

One of the things I love about SM64 is how they extracted every last use out of the level design by sprinkling in their objectives wherever they could. Things like activating the five secrets in Tiny Huge Island, or grabbing the vanish cap and running right through Wet Dry World's downtown. It was borne out of necessity, but I think they nevertheless created something of real value with the SM64 format.

Having said that, the days of having seven main objectives are definitely over I'm sure (even though I personally wish they weren't).

So the question is, if Nintendo is taking any inspiration from SM64, what exactly do they have in store. To my mind the closer they get in every category, from the variety to the exploration to the actual course layout, the better off they'll be. But whatever they do I'd expect them to limit the amount of time spent covering the same ground.

GamerJM

Banned
I absolutely believe that it is possible to create a game that is similar to SM64 in terms of structure, freedom of movement, and having a free, open, nonlinear world whilst creating levels that are significantly more intricate than what Nintendo was able to accomplish in 1996.

Will it? Eh, who knows. When NSMB released in 2006 it felt like a return to form for a style of game that Nintendo hadn't developed in well over a decade and it became renormalized. So there's nothing to say that can't happen for the SM64-style Mario games. I don't believe any of the lead developers at Nintendo have conclusively said in interviews that they're never going back to a more nonlinear style of platformers. I will say that after SM3D World Idk where they'd go with that style of Mario games, because that felt like the culmination of everything the EAD Team had been doing since Galaxy 1 in some ways.

One of the things I love about SM64 is how they extracted every last use out of the level design by sprinkling in their objectives wherever they could. Things like activating the five secrets in Tiny Huge Island, or grabbing the vanish cap and running right through Wet Dry World's downtown. It was borne out of necessity, but I think they nevertheless created something of real value with the SM64 format.

Having said that, the days of having seven main objectives are definitely over I'm sure (even though I personally wish they weren't).

So the question is, if Nintendo is taking any inspiration from SM64, what exactly do they have in store. To my mind the closer they get in every category, from the variety to the exploration to the actual course layout, the better off they'll be. But whatever they do I'd expect them to limit the amount of time spent covering the same ground.

Whatever they'll do, I have faith in EAD's talent, their Mario games have been great so far. I hope they find a happy medium between exploration and tight focussed, platforming. It does seem they are doing just that what with the camera style and Mario having the triple jump, the Mexican place looking more explorable, and the temple level having focussed platforming.

As long as they don't bring back the collect 8 red/blue/collect 100 coins objectives, that was shit tier padding.

CrisKre

Al I want is the more complex controls of 64 with the philosophies learnt in Galaxy and 3d Land- world.

I understand what they did it, but I miss more control options and more athletic Mario.

Oh, and the cable acrobatics of sunshine- 3d land please. Those are sooo satisfying.

Yukinari

Al I want is the more complex controls of 64 with the philosophies learnt in Galaxy and 3d Land- world.

I understand what they did it, but I miss more control options and more athletic Mario.

Oh, and the cable acrobatics of sunshine- 3d land please. Those are sooo satisfying.

If theres anything i hate more its how gradually worse they made controlling Mario.

Losing the slide in galaxy was bad enough, but then making the long jump worse and removing the triple jump? Sunshine has hands down the best movement mechanics.

Lunar15

Galaxy felt like a great progression from SM64/Sunshine. 3D World not as much, but I really like when Nintendo keeps things fresh. I wouldn't want to go back to any one style.

nullset2

Give me a control system that rivals, then exceeds, SM64's in depth and I'll be a happy camper.

RagnarokX

I'm not limiting it to just level design. I look at 64 and Sunshine as collectathons, and that's what Galaxy is.

Also it's come up so often.

Also I'm sorry if I came off as rude, im having a stress filled day.
But Galaxy isn't a collectathon. Your goal in the majority of levels is to follow a linear path to a goal. In Galaxy that goal is a star, in 3D World that goal is a flagpole. However in 3D World you do need to collect green stars in order to progress. Since the green stars aren't required for beating the individual levels and there are a ton of them then 3D World is clearly a collectathon by your standards, right?

Tansut

Give me a control system that rivals, then exceeds, SM64's in depth and I'll be a happy camper.
It honestly feels like Nintendo will never trust players enough to allow for that freedom of depth in a 3D space. Or rather they never trusted players enough to begin with, but it kind of happened by virtue of SM64 being their first 3D platformer.

dtm808

It honestly feels like Nintendo will never trust players enough to allow for that freedom of depth in a 3D space. Or rather they never trusted players enough to begin with, but it kind of happened by virtue of SM64 being their first 3D platformer.

Uhhh. Breath of the Wild?

ramparter

Banned
Galaxy is way closer to 3DW than it is to 64...
Depends, level wise maybe but contols/mechanics wise its closer to 64 and those are the things I didnt like in 3d world.

Liked:
Linear levels with very creative platforming that played like 2d mario in 3d.

Disliked:
2d mario formula meaning: time limit, health system depending on power ups and coins dont heal you (imo this is huge and I never see anyone mentioning, in previous 3d mario you nearly always die from falling, in 3d world you die a lot from enemies), also the game relied too much on preserving a power up to the end (for green stars and stamps), one hit and it was gone restart the level and try again.

Lijik

I'm not limiting it to just level design. I look at 64 and Sunshine as collectathons, and that's what Galaxy is.

Also it's come up so often.

Also I'm sorry if I came off as rude, im having a stress filled day.

3D World requires you collect things to progress through occasional gates too if this is the route we're going down.

Tansut

Uhhh. Breath of the Wild?
I meant strictly in terms of a 3D Mario. Every followup to SM64 has in some way simplified or reduced the complexity, or rather flexibility, of how you control Mario.

For me personally, I've been fine with it because they still always control extremely well, but for people yearning for something akin to the way SM64 played I feel like it's a lost cause. I'd love to be wrong about that in the future though.

RPGam3r

Rumors and the content shown in the trailer lean in favor of a 64/Sunshine style Mario. So yeah I'm leaning that way too.

Peru

The fact that the little footage of Mario Switch we've seen already shows 3D-World-ish linear paths and obstacle courses seems to validate this

Did you actually play Mario 64? It's all about obstacle courses. Even in worlds with several stars and objectives, the paths become obstacle courses. Luckily, since it's platforming we want from a Mario game.

hqdefault.jpg

mario64_bowser.jpg

Depends, level wise maybe but contols/mechanics wise its closer to 64 and those are the things I didnt like in 3d world.

Liked:
Linear levels with very creative platforming that played like 2d mario in 3d.

Disliked:
2d mario formula meaning: time limit, health system depending on power ups and coins dont heal you (imo this is huge and I never see anyone mentioning, in previous 3d mario you nearly always die from falling, in 3d world you die a lot from enemies), also the game relied too much on preserving a power up to the end (for green stars and stamps), one hit and it was gone restart the level and try again.

The health system wasn't all that different really, when your health is full in 3D World you get three hits, just like in Galaxy. You just visually shrink, but other than that it makes no difference. Coins healing you also make the games easier, which isn't a good thing IMO.

Did you actually play Mario 64? It's all about obstacle courses. Even in worlds with several stars and objectives, the paths become obstacle courses. Luckily, since it's platforming we want from a Mario game.

I swear, sometimes it seems as if people think SM64 was The Elder Scrolls: Super Mario Edition. Even within SM64, there are a lot of obstacle courses.

I was fine with the levels of 3D World. What I dislike was being unable to run instantly, the timer and digital movement. All were things that Super Mario 64 did well.

Nintendo has put a lot of effort into Zelda's open world, so would they do an open world Mario? Or at least a hub area that's so big it has tons of stuff to do in its own right, like areas to practice the controls, earn coins etc.

Myriadis

I'd like to see a Super Mario game that is a mix between both styles, the more open worlds and the obstacle-focused linear ones. Someone had a similar idea in some earlier thread but I can't find it right now. Basically in the open levels you can find paths that lead to other open levels or to a star but these paths are obstacle-filled levels on their own. A bit like the first Jak and Daxter if there were some linear levels inbetween (with warps or something similar to get to the unlocked open worlds faster of course). It certainly would be an interesting idea.

But I digress, a weakpoint of the level design for me in Super Mario 64 was that at least some levels required you to redo some platforming sections again. The worst offender is Tick Tock Clock, where most stars aside from the red coins one are just laid out on a fairly linear level that you have to scale every time from the start. I am actually also working on a Sm64 mod and while I'm certainly not a professional level designer something that I always tried to do was to avoid this - the path to the challenge which gives you the star should be quick with barely any backtracking, but getting the star should still be a challenge. Granted, I didn't always do that well (I'm an amateur after all and still learning) but I consider that one a very important aspect of open world design. Banjo-Kazooie and Jak and Daxter did that better (no surprise here, SM64 was the first of its kind and of course firsts always have their rough edges) and if the next Mario is indeed more open I'd like to see that aspect strengthened.

cordy

Banned
I'm glad this thread exists because for the life of me I, someone who actually didn't play 64 but has seen videos and I guess I sort of did play it since I had the DS version, didn't know what the deal was with 64 vs Galaxy or 3D world. This thread's really helped me understand the differences.

MoonFrog

Tbh. I don't even know what I want.

I know I want a more cohesive game world, a la Super Mario Brothers 3 (to a lesser extent), Super Mario World, Mario 64, (I imagine, haven't played) Super Mario Sunshine, and (to a lesser extent) Galaxy 1.

Mario has moved towards a semblance of a World Map, which is good since the days of the flowchart level select screen were dark days indeed in this regard, but it leaves me unsatisfied. I want unique, cohesive world and art design in Mario again.

But, I also might like the 3D World/Galaxy 2 style of level better at the end of the day. So I want a hub, I want some more freedom, but I also want tighter platforming. Basically, I want SMW+Galaxy 1+2 combined in some way.

...the rumor suggests a more 64 approach to levels with multiple stars/completion tasks and we can already see the return of the triple jump and possibly even more acrobatic moves...

...I hope they find a happy medium between exploration and tight focussed, platforming. It does seem they are doing just that what with the camera style and Mario having the triple jump, the Mexican place looking more explorable, and the temple level having focussed platforming...

If theres anything i hate more its how gradually worse they made controlling Mario. Losing the slide in galaxy was bad enough, but then making the long jump worse and removing the triple jump? Sunshine has hands down the best movement mechanics...

Good range of opinion in this thread! So I'm actually curious what folks here think of the new triple jump, as it appeared in the Switch preview video.

Some of the previous discussion on it, from earlier threads:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221073840&postcount=865

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221029296&postcount=189

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221135550&postcount=454

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221178555&postcount=460

nullset2

hqdefault.jpg

mario64_bowser.jpg

Kind of a late reply but you know, the Bowser levels have been mentioned as being vestigial remains of previous betas of SM64 where they thought that making mario work in 3D with linear level design would work better. And yes, effectively, these levels are precursors to Mario 3D world et. al. So they are kind of a special case to consider.

The first screenshot you're posting from whomp's fortress is a part of a level which can be safely ignored if you take alternate paths at the beginning. So, I get you when you say that there's linear-ish parts in SM64 but it's not the meat of the games. The hub world and the open expanses were.

Eusis

And here I thought the OP had an obscenely rigid definition of SM64 style. Though he'll, this could double down on being open in a way that goes the extreme opposite direction that 3D World ultimately landed at.

Qblivion

As someone who worships SM64... I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm glad they are at least attempting something in the vein of 64 though.

Top Bottom