• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio 'heartbeat' bill banning most abortions passes legislature, on Governor's desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ld-ban-most-abortions/?utm_term=.5e391df49e8c

Ohio lawmakers passed a bill late Tuesday that would prohibit abortion as soon as a fetal heartbeat can be detected — at around six weeks, before many women realize they are pregnant.

If Gov. John Kasich (R) signs the bill, it would pose a direct challenge to Supreme Court decisions that have found that women have a constitutional right to abortion at least until the point of viability, which is typically pegged around 24 weeks. Similar bills have been blocked by the courts. Because of this, even many antiabortion advocates have opposed such measures.

But some Ohio Republicans said they were empowered to support the bill because of President-elect Donald Trump’s pledge to appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade, the 1973 high court decision that legalized abortion nationally.

This will put the deadline for legal abortion before most women even know they are pregnant and contains no exceptions for rape or incest. So it effectively bans it all together.

I'm hoping Kasich won't sign this with the reasoning the state can't afford the legal battle that it would likely lose, even with a Trump appointed replacement in Scalia's slot.

Gather some people -- they won't have the right to keep their organs anymore, because body autonomy won't be a thing.

I for one will be a-ok with harvesting organs. With the depression soon to come, it'll be rather lucrative.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is all that is standing between abortion being banned in conservative states

The only thing that gives Kasich pause is not the horrific consequences of this bill but whether this would survive legally.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm hoping Kasich won't sign this with the reasoning the state can't afford the legal battle that it would likely lose, even with a Trump appointed replacement in Scalia's slot.

You kidding? Kasich is absolutely going to sign it. He lives for this shit.

Reading the quote this bill would end up being unconstitutional, right?

Unless the balance of the court flips before it makes it before them.

liquidtmd

Banned

I don't think the powers that be give a shit about that anymore.

People travelling to abort and (scarily) bathroom / home method abortions to rise. Well done you assholes.

Bans abortion before most women would even realize they were pregnant and no safeguard for rape or incest. Sickening, goddamn sickening.

mcfrank

Under current legal precedent, yes. But, presumably the whole point of this bill is to get it ruled unconstitutional by lower courts and keep fighting it to the Supreme Court so that a new Court with Trump appointees can overturn Roe v Wade. If that happens, then no, it is not unconstitutional. This is why voting matters.

Morts

Absolutely absurd.

I found out about this this morning because my coworker 'liked' it on Facebook. Awkward.

jfkgoblue

If RBG dies or retires, Roe v. Wade is dead.

So there is a good chance that Republicans get their "White wale" after decades of trying. I don't know if they even want to do it though, it's a powerful motivator for many pro-lifers to actually vote.

Under current legal precedent, yes. But, presumably the whole point of this bill is to get it ruled unconstitutional by lower courts and keep fighting it to the Supreme Court so that a new Court with Trump appointees can overturn Roe v Wade. If that happens, then no, it is not unconstitutional.

All Democrats have to do is do what the Republicans did. In fact, they can't claim a mandate like Obama got because Trump lost the popular vote. So they have no argument. If they force the justice through, there will likely be hell to pay.

ultron87

You kidding? Kasich is absolutely going to sign it. He lives for this shit.

In the past he's been against this stringent of a restriction because it wouldn't make it past the courts.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/07/ohio-heartbeat-bill-abortion-ban/95082322/

For years, Kasich, leading Republican senators and Ohio Right to Life have cited its unconstitutionality as their reason for opposing the heartbeat measure. Federal courts have struck down similar laws in North Dakota and Arkansas.

But obviously a potential change to the balance of the Supreme Court could change that.

Aristion

Banned
Absolutely absurd.

I found out about this this morning bed my coworker 'liked' it on Facebook. Awkward.

Is being pro-life a terrible thing? I believe that a fetus has an absolute right to life in virtue of its being a human being.

I honestly don't see how that's an abhorrent position to hold.

Is being pro-life a terrible thing? I believe that a fetus has an absolute right to life in virtue of its being a human being.

Because criminalizing abortion leads to no saved babies and more women dying. It's fun to dress up your position as 'pro-life' but illegal abortions do not save lives.

When it means taking away women's rights, especially under circumstances of rape and incest, that doesn't have a damn thing to do with you, yes, being pro-life is a terrible thing.

It is when you impose that on everyone eose and by that I nean women.

Noting wrong with that. But at the same time, consider what other people think and believe. It's not your choice and it's up to the women.

Morts

I believe it's a terrible thing to take someone's choice away, which this bill would do since the cutoff point is before many women realize they're pregnant, and there's no exception for rape. Plus the lack of availability of safe, legal abortion drives the practice underground and could cost women their lives.

Aristion

Banned
Because criminalizing abortion leads to no saved babies and more women dying. It's fun to dress up your position as 'pro-life' but illegal abortions do not save lives.

Encouraging a pro-life culture would inevitably lead to less abortions. Whether we like it or not, the law acts as a pedagogue in ways that social movements usually do not. If we gradually pass legislation that restricts abortions, over time the public would be educated on the moral status of the unborn and perhaps more women wouldn't resort to illegal means of procuring abortions.

ShyMel

Women shouldn't be banned from getting abortions to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Woman who are raped shouldn't be forced to carry the result of their rape. Women deserve the right to decide what happens to our bodies.

Gigglepoo

This bill comes with a provision that the government will pay for the costs of any babies who were born because their mothers couldn't abort them, right? I can only assume food, clothing, school, and other necessities are going to be covered.

As an Ohioan this shit makes me sick. The people running this fucking state are taking us backwards at an alarming rate. Fucking cowards doing this during lame duck cause they don't have the balls to do it any other time. Even the state's top anti-abortion organization said this shit was fucking stupid to try and pass.

Azuran

Banned
Never forget that 60+ year old men are the ones coming up with inane bills like this. You would think they would have better things to worry about than something like this that doesn't affect them in any way whatsoever.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Because it's not your choice to make. It's as simple as that. You can feel whatever you may want, but ultimately, the choice shouldn't be up to you. Is it okay for you to feel the way you do? Absolutely, but it shouldn't impact the options available to those who don't.

TheXbox

Would set a scary precedent for privacy laws, but I guess this country has decided it doesn't care about privacy. Most people still think Roe v Wade is just about killing babies

Encouraging a pro-life culture would inevitably lead to less abortions. Whether we like it or not, the law acts as a pedagogue in ways that social movements usually do not. If we gradually pass legislation that restricts abortions, over time the public would be educated on the moral status of the unborn and perhaps more women wouldn't resort to illegal means of procuring abortions.

It also take rights away from women, something you're not addressing, and leaves a lot of unwanted children to either grow up unloved and/or in the DCS system that generally cultivates many mental issues and draining of tax payer money. Not to mention, again, it doesn't have anything to do with you, it's not your business, or the business of the church or government.

mnannola

I wonder how much pressure RBG feels to just stay alive? If she passes away, it could have a massive impact on the future of the country. I don't think most people can even fathom the kind of pressure she must feel now with Trump becoming president.

Jeels

I'm glad all this economic anxiety is leading to some real reforms that benefit workers and the middle class. This is really relevant stuff. Props to the Ohio legislature and midwestern voters.

Aristion

Banned
Because it's not your choice to make. It's as simple as that. You can feel whatever you may want, but ultimately, the choice shouldn't be up to you.

It also isn't my choice whether children should have access to illegal drugs, and yet we all agree that no parents should be allowed to give their children narcotics.

It's not you nor anyone elses position to tell a woman what she can or cannot do with her own body.

And Republicans aren't really pro-life, if they were, they'd give a damn about the baby after it's born.

But they don't.

Meatfist

By this same logic, abstinence-only education should have educated the public on the "moral status" of sex out of wedlock, reducing rates of unwanted and teen pregnancy.

It did the opposite.

There would just be more backroom coat hanger abortions and more unwanted children

Literally nothing you said is backed by anything

Linkark07

Banned

What if a woman was raped? Why she should want to have a kid, product of something she didn't want? Or by sex without protection? Abortion is a right that all women must have.

MrNelson

Banned
No, because the same people that want to make abortions illegal are generally the types that are against sex education in schools and are against making birth control more affordable and widely available, which in of itself would lead to less people needing abortions.

And it's anti-choice, not "pro-life". I'm not a fan of abortion, but I'm not going to impose my will on someone else's body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom