• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II - Community BLiTZ Week Thread

Giolon

EDIT: Now incorporated into the official thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22978689#post22978689

I thought I'd make a thread to cover and talk about everything related to VCII that SEGA is releasing this week. OP will be updated each day when SEGA's blog post appears, including news about contests or giveaways offered on each day.

Day 6: Tank!

SEGA said:
Just as there’s nothing quite as scary as sending in a defenseless scout up against the gatling of an armored tank, there’s also little as rewarding as seeing the massive KA-BOOM and the ensuing fireworks show when your Lancer nails the radiator like a bullseye.

4922046308_e9f79764f8.jpg

In Valkyria Chronicles II, a lot of work was put into expanding the options and the freedom players had with their tanks...

Link: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/23/valkyria-chronicles-ii-community-blitz-day-vi-tank/

Today's Giveaway: Blog, Twitter, and Facebook for figurines and DLC codes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archive of previous days.

Day 5: Meet the Rebels

WARNING: Today's blog post has significant Valkyria Chronicles 1 spoilers. However, this is information that is recapped very early in Valkyria Chronicles 2 as it is central to the plot. If you want to play VC1 unspoiled, DO NOT read today's blog post.

SEGA said:
One of the things I appreciated most about the first game was that the antagonists were human. I say that meaning that, for once in an RPG, the people you were up against were actually that – people. They were not some profound darkness that had existed for all of time, nor the ultimate evil that had come from space to wreak havoc.

4911351847_9cf16b496d.jpg

They were characters who simply wanted to achieve their own goals....In Valkyria Chronicles II, a similar level of mature storytelling is at play....

Link: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/20/valkyria-chronicles-ii-community-blitz-day-v-meet-the-rebels/

Weekend Giveaway
Visit the Blog, Facebook page, or Twitter to win a new or signed copy of Valkyria Chronicles 1.

Day 4: Level Up!

SEGA said:
For today’s purposes, we’re going to be using Avan as an example and reference. Everyone please say “Hi, Avan.”
4909113462_8cc79df2ac.jpg

Class said:
Hi, Avan.

Awesome. Now that introductions are out the way, take another look at Avan and you’ll notice that he’s set up with his standard Gallian-1 scout rifle. Snazzy.

Avan is a special exception in VCII, because you can choose to make him any class you want. He starts off as a scout, but if you feel like changing him to, say – a shocktrooper – you can do that, too. In which case he’ll look a little something like this...

Link: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/19/valkyria-chronicles-ii-community-blitz-day-iv-level-up/

Today's Giveaway:
RIGHT HERE IN GAF TONIGHT will be some VC1 DLC codes.
On Facebook, an Edy figurine.
On Twitter tomorrow at 2PM PDT, VC1 DLC codes and an Alicia figurine

Day 3: Battlefields of Blue and Red

SEGA said:
4899011047_1f95950703.jpg

To start off with, the battle system in Valkyria Chronicles II is very much like the battle system in the first game – and that’s great news for everyone who loved the chess-rpg-fps-strategy hybrid that the series is at heart. You’ll start off with a top down view, then fly down to the action firsthand when you select a character to control. Most of you probably know the ropes of the original – so what are the changes?...

Link: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/1...ty-blitz-day-iii-battlefields-of-blue-and-red

Today's Giveaway:
Today they're giving away some of the Valkyria Chronicles 1 pre-order art books!

To enter: Comment about VC2's battle system on today's blog entry, tweet about Valkyria Chronicles (2?) on Twitter tonight to @ValkyriaTribune, and ask a question about the battle system on the Valkyria Chronicles Facebook page's wall post.

Day 2: The Characters

SEGA said:
mmx4cp.jpg

I know exactly what a lot of you probably thought when you first saw the game, because it’s exactly what I was thinking:

Valkyria Fans said:
“Oh – the game is at an academy? Does this mean the epic war stories are being replaced with school life? And will the deep characters from the first game be shallow kids this time around?”

The answer, after investing many hours into the game, is a solid and resounding: Worry not....

Link: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/17/valkyria-chronicles-ii-community-blitz-day-ii-the-characters/

Today's Giveaway:
Keep an eye on Twitter and Facebook for Valkyria Chronicles trading figures. The blog already had commenters answer the question:
What is the name of the new class type in Valkyria Chronicles II? (Hint: this class is a mix of melee combat and landmine/cover support.)

Day 1: New Canvas

SEGA said:
jq0uuw.jpg

As the BLiTZ begins, we start today with a look at a key element of any RPG: the story.

When it comes to RPGs, a good story can often make or break the entire picture. It is the sketch lines that everything else must adhere to – and even the most vibrant of colors are only a blurred mess without it....

Link: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/16/valkyria-chronicles-ii-community-blitz-day-1-new-canvas/

BLiTZ Week Announcement Post: Valkyria Chronicles II Demo live, and our Community BLiTZ starts next week!

SEGA said:

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Any word on the promo dvd that Cordelia narrates as a pre-order or something? Or a video-bonus on the game?

Giolon

bernardobri said:
Any word on the promo dvd that Cordelia narrates as a pre-order or something? Or a video-bonus on the game?

The only pre-order bonus I've heard of for the US are the two maps/skirmishes for buying through Gamestop.

Giolon

DonMigs85 said:
I'm guessing that glasses guy is a Darcsen, right?
Indeed. His name is Zeri. The red-headed guy is Avan Hardins, the main character, and the ditzy looking blonde is Cosette Coalhearth. These three are like your Welkin/Alicia/Isara trio from what I can tell.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Already preordered from GS for the bonus maps. I really need to play the original first, though.

Giolon

zerokoolpsx said:
Go play it asap!

Indeed!

BTW, Day 2's update is now up! (See OP)

Today it's all about the characters. I'm not entirely convinced that they'll be able to live up to the old cast, but I'll hold a small amount of hope. I think it'd be hard to succintly convey the characters of the first game in a way that expresses how much I ended up liking and enjoying them.

May16

Giolon said:
I know exactly what a lot of you probably thought when you first saw the game, because it’s exactly what I was thinking:

Originally Posted by Valkyria Fans:
“Oh – the game is at an academy? Does this mean the epic war stories are being replaced with school life? And will the deep characters from the first game be shallow kids this time around?”
The answer, after investing many hours into the game, is a solid and resounding: Worry not....
Worry.

I didn't like it. I found the characters just too silly overall and couldn't get into the cast and story.
I like Valkyria for its battle system -- the element that sets it apart from other games -- so the schoolkid story didn't necessarily weigh the game down, but it didn't provide that excellent bonus that the first game had. I viewed the first game as a genre-redefining strategy RPG that just happened to have a great story and good characters. This games is a slightly tweaked version of that game's systems, but minus that extra touch.

I mean, to show you where the focus of this story lies, let's first etablish that because it's on PSP, there are far fewer scenes that are *fully* animated and voiced. But you kow which one made it into that golden few? Chesty McJugs and the schoolgirls go to the pool! Kawaiiii!! ...Yet at a dozen other, more serious points in the game, they're sticking with the still frames and spot-voicing. =/
So yes, there IS a huge contrast in the tone and mood of the two Valkyria games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
May16 said:
So yes, there IS a huge contrast in the tone and mood of the two Valkyria games.
Damn. :(

As much as I liked the combat system, it was the context they were set in that really made it enjoyable. I don't think the VC battle system is engaging enough for me to enjoy it entirely on its own like the Grandia engine, for example, where I wouldn't mind if the story wasn't up to par.

Lain

May16 said:
I mean, to show you where the focus of this story lies, let's first etablish that because it's on PSP, there are far fewer scenes that are *fully* animated and voiced. But you kow which one made it into that golden few? Chesty McJugs and the schoolgirls go to the pool! Kawaiiii!! ...Yet at a dozen other, more serious points in the game, they're sticking with the still frames and spot-voicing. =/

That doesn't look like a negative to me. Pool scenes > serious scenes.

Giolon

May16 said:
Worry.

I didn't like it. I found the characters just too silly overall and couldn't get into the cast and story.
I like Valkyria for its battle system -- the element that sets it apart from other games -- so the schoolkid story didn't necessarily weigh the game down, but it didn't provide that excellent bonus that the first game had. I viewed the first game as a genre-redefining strategy RPG that just happened to have a great story and good characters. This games is a slightly tweaked version of that game's systems, but minus that extra touch.

Thanks for the link to that review. It's kind of validating my fears of where this game is going. Sega's CM keeps promising the opposite, but we know even if he doesn't actually believe it (I'm not saying he doesn't), he's paid to spout that view.

I'm trying to maintain a little optimism at this point. I've already ripped on Yuriana's (and most of the other secondary character's) designs and bitched about all the anime clichés they've boxed up enough that I'd kind of just feel like I'm going in circles. I can only hope that SEGA USA takes the feedback to SEGA Japan and lets them know that this kind of thing is not what we're looking for in Valkyria Chronicles. At least it's not what I am looking for.

I'll still be here making the OT,updating this BLiTZ week thread, and pimping the game as much as I feel honest about doing. I'm still excited to finally get a chance to see for myself what this new game brings to the table.

Giolon

And day 3 is now up! Today's entry focuses on the battle system, and today's prize is a Valkyria Chronicles 1 pre-order art book.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Crazypanda_85 said:
Persona3Portable, Ys Seven, VCII, Kingdom Heart:BBS... To the haters of the PSP, what do you have to say now? :D

Too little, too late.
Niche games.
Limited appeal.
Four years too late.
Etc.

(PS - You missed some other yummies in your list. Ys Oath. Ys I & II Chronicles. Persona 1 port. Hexyz Force. Lunar remake. Minama Chronicles. Cladun. Gladiator Begins. Knights in the Nightmare. ZHP. Legend of Heroes. Blazing Souls Accelate. Patapon 3. God Eater Burst. Tactics Ogre remake. Lord of Arcana. Parasite Eve: Third Birthday. Final Fantasy Agito XIII. Granted, at least some of these are probably going to be bad [looking at you, NISA fodder], but there's still a NICE amount that stands to be good/great!)

Enron

Banned
May16 said:
Worry.

YOU SHUT UP YOU SHUT UP NOW THIS GAME WILL BE AWESOME I CANT HEAR YOU LAA LAAA LAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mejilan said:
Too little, too late.
Niche games.
Limited appeal.
Four years too late.
Etc.

(PS - You missed some other yummies in your list. Ys Oath. Ys I & II Chronicles. Persona 1 port. Hexyz Force. Lunar remake. Minama Chronicles. Cladun. Gladiator Begins. Knights in the Nightmare. ZHP. Legend of Heroes. Blazing Souls Accelate. Patapon 3. God Eater Burst. Tactics Ogre remake. Lord of Arcana. Parasite Eve: Third Birthday. Final Fantasy Agito XIII. Granted, at least some of these are probably going to be bad [looking at you, NISA fodder], but there's still a NICE amount that stands to be good/great!)

I was just posting the titles that were just released and coming out in the next week's time. I'm a niche game fan so the PSP suits me fine. I agree that it has a limited appeal but I don't feel that they were 4 years too late. PSP always have some games I like but usually only a few titles every several months. To be honest, most people do not have the funds to buy 20+ games a year so I never understand why people (and even most gaming journalists) complain about any system not having 5 AAA titles coming out every other week. the DS is almost in that same boat. A ton of DS games come out every year but most of them are not worth it's price of admission and the ones that are hardly get love because it may not be a Mario title. I'm a manager at a retailer and great titles that are appreciated on NeoGaf are rarely appreciated by the mass public. It's kind of depressing.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
May16 said:
Worry.

I disagree to an extent here, but I say that respectful of the fact that the everyone has different views.

What I like about VCII is that if I don't want to talk to one of the super-happy-optimistic characters, I can choose not to view their dialogue trees, and focus more on the characters I do like and want to know more about. I found some of the added side stories to be pretty entertaining, especially for characters I enjoyed having in my roster.

The first part of the game definitely has a cheery, more optimistic tone to it, which some people will like and others probably won't. If you're one of those that don't, I was really glad for Zeri always being there to speak the mind of the jaded fan for me. (I think he's kind of the personification of everyone who just wants to skip the we can do it! stuff and get straight to the combat.) But I also enjoyed seeing Avan, Cosette, and the rest mature a bit as the game progressed.

Those are my thoughts, as someone who loved the first game and was initially concerned about if the second game would be as mature in its storytelling. It may not show it on the surface at first, but the themes of racism and the life or death consequences of war are very much still at play in the second game.

We agree 110% on the battle system love, though. :)

Finally, the GAF team will be our spotlight in today's special thanks part of the BLiTZ. Keep an eye out for some DLC codes in this thread soon!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
man i wish i still had a psp. ;_;

loved valkyria so much, sadly i never got to my goal of 200 hours. :( capped at 160ish i think.

Volcynika

RubyEclipse said:
Finally, the GAF team will be our spotlight in today's special thanks part of the BLiTZ. Keep an eye out for some DLC codes in this thread soon!

Go GAF! And the BLiTZ thing is really interesting, nice to see info to read every day.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Diablos said:
Really wishing this was for PS3 instead.

Ugh, this sort of inane complaining better not mess up the VC2 thread.

I want to hear critiques, reviews, tips, and strategies, not this tripe.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Ugh, this sort of inane complaining better not mess up the VC2 thread.

I want to hear critiques, reviews, tips, and strategies, not this tripe.
I think it's ok in moderation, and it's something that's really good for SEGA to continue to hear. They've got to realize the state of the PSP market in the US and the perception the system has over here. I've (mostly) dropped the subject because it is redundant coming from me at this point. Every new voice that chimes in lends weight to the argument that they made a mistake in their choice of platform, from a US (and EU?) point of view. There are lots of good posts going on in this thread, let's not just focus on the bad ones, eh?

Plus, until we actually get the game in our hands...we can't do much more than talk about the bits of info SEGA is trickling out.

RubyEclipse said:
Thanks, Ruby! I've got my finger on that refresh button. I see the pictures that are up on Flickr already.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Day IV live, and as promised, a little giveaway here on GAF. I'm limiting this to only people who can post in this thread, to make sure we're only giving the goods away to people who have been part of the VC support here for a while.

Be the first to answer one of these questions, and you'll score yourself a random DLC code. (If you have some but are missing one, I'll try to get you the one you're missing.)

Max of one code per person, so if you've got a question in the bag, try to leave the other answers hidden for those who might come after, please!

Q1: In Valkyria Chronicles, What is the name of the flower that Alicia helps spread across Gallia?

Q2: In Valkyria Chronicles II, what is the name of the Darcsen with glasses who is both one of the three main characters and also extremely to-the-point?

Q3: True or False: We got the original Voice Actors for Welkin and Alicia back to play their cameo roles again in VCII.

Q4: In the first game, name the enemy tank general who commands a tank named Lupus.

I'll check back in on these tomorrow afternoon, and will confirm winners and send out codes then. Thanks for supporting VC, GAF!

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Volcynika said:
Bah, I already have all the DLC! *shakes fist at nothing*
Near the end of the campaign, I might just give away my copy of the VC Development Artworks Book (the huge, super-thick, $60 to import one). We also have some other swag to give away soon, too, for those who have already done their part and picked up all four packs.

Volcynika

RubyEclipse said:
Near the end of the campaign, I might just give away my copy of the VC Development Artworks Book (the huge, super-thick, $60 to import one). We also have some other swag to give away soon, too, for those who have already done their part and picked up all four packs.

:eek:

Nice.

Giolon

As you all can see, today's update is up! And RubyEclipse is here to give out some DLC codes!

I can answer all these questions off the top of my head, does that make me a sad person? :lol

Whee! I won the pre-order artbook! Thanks, Ruby!

For those who don't know what the Development Artworks book is (not what I won, that would be this), I bought one back in January and it is hands down the best artbook I own (or have personally seen):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19585983&postcount=8519

androvsky

RubyEclipse said:
Day IV live, and as promised, a little giveaway here on GAF. I'm limiting this to only people who can post in this thread, to make sure we're only giving the goods away to people who have been part of the VC support here for a while.

Be the first to answer one of these questions, and you'll score yourself a random DLC code. (If you have some but are missing one, I'll try to get you the one you're missing.)

Max of one code per person, so if you've got a question in the bag, try to leave the other answers hidden for those who might come after, please!

Q1: In Valkyria Chronicles, What is the name of the flower that Alicia helps spread across Gallia?

Q2: In Valkyria Chronicles II, what is the name of the Darcsen with glasses who is both one of the three main characters and also extremely to-the-point?

Q3: True or False: We got the original Voice Actors for Welkin and Alicia back to play their cameo roles again in VCII.

Q4: In the first game, name the enemy tank general who commands a tank named Lupus.

I'll check back in on these tomorrow afternoon, and will confirm winners and send out codes then. Thanks for supporting VC, GAF!

Radi Jaeger

Hamblasto

RubyEclipse said:

I believe that his name is Zeri.

Giolon

Man, I guess people are asleep already! These DLC codes are lasting a long time.

On the subject of today's update, I think it's pretty cool that Avan can be any class. Quoting RubyEclipse in the comments section of today's blog entry:

RubyEclipse said:
Avan is special and is the only member of your squad who has the aptitude to be any class. This means he’s either gifted in all of them, or, as Zeri points out, equally bad at all of them.
:lol I think I'm going to like Zeri. (His VA in the demo sounds really familiar but I just can't place it...) Edit: According to Wikipedia, according to the voice actor's twitter, it's Crispin Freeman who played, among others, Togusa in the English dub of Ghost in the Shell SAC, which is where I recognize the voice from!
Though I wonder, if Avan's out in the field playing soldier, who's the commander that will be giving orders? In the demo, you can issue "Evacuate" to units but the unit just disappears without any order animation. I know they exist because I've seen screenshots of Yuriana giving one. Don't tell me she's in charge all the time!? o_0

BTW, Ruby, I'd love it if you could tell us the official English names for a few more characters: Yuriana for one. And how do you pronounce that name "Joachim"?

RubyEclipse said:

True?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
RubyEclipse said:

Lion's Paw.

Missing the last DLC :D

Is there any place that explains/outlines all the unlockable characters and how to get them? I got Isara via the VC 1 save data, but I haven't figured out any others yet.

Also, now that I understand what's going on, can somebody explain the massive contradiction from VC 1 to 2? The ending of VC shows
Welkin and Alicia, and their child, Isara, who's walking and talking (indicating she's at least a few year's old), all live in Bruhl and that they've been there since Welkin retired from the militia, but in VC 2, Alicia and Welkin work at the store in Lanseal 2 years after the war? Well I mean, they do have Welkin's sister, Isara playable when she's dead, so I'm guessing VC 2 doesn't take continuity seriously...which is a shame.

Giolon

TSA said:
Also, now that I understand what's going on, can somebody explain the massive contradiction from VC 1 to 2? The ending of VC shows
Welkin and Alicia, and their child, Isara, who's walking and talking (indicating she's at least a few year's old), all live in Bruhl and that they've been there since Welkin retired from the militia, but in VC 2, Alicia and Welkin work at the store in Lanseal 2 years after the war? Well I mean, they do have Welkin's sister, Isara playable when she's dead, so I'm guessing VC 2 doesn't take continuity seriously...which is a shame.

I can only assume that it means that
the epilogue of VC1 takes place after the events of VC2. At least I hope that's the case. This is a large portion of why I am leery of VCII's story. VC's epilogue was such a fitting capstone to the experience, that this game has come along and seemingly re-written some of the events. How can Alicia and Welkin have a happy ending if there's a civil war going on a couple years after the events of the first game? Isara couldn't be less than 2 and no more than 4 years old in the epilogue, which no time frame is given for, but it seems she should be around during this time period.

Everyone else's epilogues were written in their biographies and there is NO mention of a civil war - because obviously SEGA just made it up afterwards, seemingly without regard to the continuity consequences. You'd expect at least one EWII veteran to be involved in it (as I'm sure we'll see), and that's hardly the sort of thing that would be skipped over.
If anything, IMO the "sequel" to VC should have been a prequel, telling the story of Welkin and Isara's parents in the first Europan War.

Top Bottom