• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit bans two prominent alt-right subreddits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulik2

Its more then past time to start censoring the alt-right propaganda machine in all its forms all over the world. Some things simply don't deserve to exist.

caliph95

They only do it when they break the TOS via doxxing other users or other malicious shit. Basically they don't care what you do or say as long as it doesn't hurt other users, so it's purely a business movie, not a decency move.

It seems like even then they only do what they are supposed to when they get attention or when the mods get bored.

/r/altright was a legitimate Nazi shithole, so it was about time those fuckers got banned.

/r/The_Donald isn't getting banned guys. The mods over there have carefully toed the line.

Yep. As much as I hate to say it, the_Donald guys know how to stay inside the "rules". After the Quebec shooting they even said The_Donald subreddit condemns the act, which was ok I guess.

I love this post title on /r/The_Donald.

R/AltRight Banned. Even if you don't agree, Censorship is Wrong.

Maybe try telling that to Trump?

Also they're threatening to go to Voat. Yes please leave already.

CrunchyB

Why does Reddit take forever to delete these types of garbage subreddits? And there's still plenty more

Free speech?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of banning stuff just because it doesn't conform to the social status quo. Not so long ago gay marriage was illegal in the USA and before that, interracial marriage. In a different age, those might be forbidden topics as well.

I'm sure most of the discussions in those subreddits were downright disgusting, but let's not be too hasty with banning everything that doesn't fit our worldview. Because the next time, it could happen to something you care about. Also, there is some advantage in letting the deplorables gather in an easily observed environment.

Only really blatantly dangerous stuff like holocaust denial or organizing violence should be shut down, in my humble opinion.

Glix

Lets be real.

Even Republicans buy sneakers.

Companies will not turn away customers/throw money away.

Doxxing means legal headaches. So they are forced to.

Only really blatantly dangerous stuff like holocaust denial or organizing violence should be shut down, in my humble opinion.

Organizing violence is what these subreddits and Facebook groups DO though.

It is sly but totally transparent. If only words are banned, they talk with symbols memes and code. The anti defamation league knows how it works. Its insidious. The rules need to be created around intent, and need to err on the side of early weeding before roots are put down deep. If we were talking about pro-ISIS discussion boards these guys could write the rules on moderating out extremism for you.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I mean, it's the free speech argument and the slippery slope. Yes, they're garbage but they're entitled to their free discussion.There's also the fact that once they're banned, the cockroaches will just split up and flee to different "special snowflake" zones, making it harder to keep track of them.

It's a thorny problem that can't really be solved.
No they're not. Reddit is a privately owned website, they can ban whoever the fuck they want for whatever reason they want. No one on there has any "right to free speech" because Reddit =/= America.

Theodran

I agree.

Users of /r/altright were posting a crowd funding site that, among other things, is crowd funding the doxxing of the man who sucker punched Richard Spencer. Even though links to the site were automatically labelled as spam on Reddit, mods were approving the site manually on the /r/altright subreddit.

They were literally fundraising the organization of violence.

Tacitus_

No they're not. Reddit is a privately owned website, they can ban whoever the fuck they want for whatever reason they want. No one on there has any "right to free speech" because Reddit =/= America.

Again, it's the Reddit admins saying that they have that right, on their site. No governments involved.

Battlechili

Banned
If you mean getting ripped to shreds as being successful, I don't want to see failure.
Most of Stein's posts and responses in her AMAs on Reddit were met with praise and melded well with the core userbase of Reddit. Only like two of her posts in her AMAs were harshly criticized (her posts about nuclear power in particular). I wouldn't call that being ripped to shreds.

RedHill

Banned
I mean, it's the free speech argument and the slippery slope. Yes, they're garbage but they're entitled to their free discussion.There's also the fact that once they're banned, the cockroaches will just split up and flee to different "special snowflake" zones, making it harder to keep track of them.

They can have their free discussion on another website. You are entitled to nothing on a privately owned website

CrunchyB

Reddit is a privately owned website, they can ban whoever the fuck they want for whatever reason they want. No one on there has any "right to free speech" because Reddit =/= America.

Likewise GAF could ban all Trump sympathizers but I'd rather they didn't. Like it or not, those people make up a big chunk of the American electorate. If you ban gatherings those people will only retreat into their echo-chambers, unseen by the rest of society, and things will get worse, not better.

Likewise GAF could ban all Trump sympathizers but I'd rather they didn't. Like it or not, those people make up a big chunk of the American electorate. If you ban gatherings those people will only retreat into their echo-chambers, unseen by the rest of society, and things will get worse, not better.

Does it matter if they retreat to an echo chamber when diehard Trump supporters won't listen to reason or facts? What good is discussion when you're talking to a brick wall?

rjinaz

Nah I'd argue we got Trump because we let it run rampant. And it has nothing to do with free speech. The government is not involved. Reddit SHOULD ban hateful rhetoric if they are against such things as most decent people are.

The Kree

Banned
Nah I'd argue we got Trump because we let it run rampant. And it has nothing to do with free speech. The government is not involved. Reddit SHOULD ban hateful rhetoric if they are against such things as most decent people are.

They'll just buy a .ru domain and keep it going anyway. Everybody fretting over speech restrictions on white supremacists can take that bullshit over there and reach out to them, come back and let us know what it's like trying to break into Fort Knox with spitballs.

superbeau

Neo Member
See no one would have a problem if they picked a town and grew it to be their haven. The problem is that isn't what they want. They want the US from coast to coast to be the White Nationalist Haven. That shit ain't gonna fly.

they have picked towns like that. Idaho has loads, but should they really get to say POC aren't allowed there? Do we need a new Green Book to tell them where shouldn't stop at night?

rjinaz

They'll just buy a .ru domain and keep it going anyway. Everybody fretting over speech restrictions on white supremacists can take that bullshit over there and reach out to them, come back and let us know what it's like trying to break into Fort Knox with spitballs.

I already know how it would go lol. My cousin just today screamed on his face book on how he is blocking anybody that posts negative comments on posts he makes about Trump, but the other day he was crying about the Nazi that got punched in the face's free speech.

Free speech?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of banning stuff just because it doesn't conform to the social status quo. Not so long ago gay marriage was illegal in the USA and before that, interracial marriage. In a different age, those might be forbidden topics as well.

Who knew advocating for racial genocide was the same as gay marraige.

jabuseika

Just ban them all.

Why is reddit always taking this middle shaky ground, when the admins obviously have a certain political position .

But somehow allow these communities to persist in parts, while on the back side they keep using their power to ban users, edit comments, and all the other dumb actions that just makes them look shady.

I already know how it would go lol. My cousin just today screamed on his face book on how he is blocking anybody that posts negative comments on posts he makes about Trump, but the other day he was crying about the Nazi that got punched in the face's free speech.
cap-punching-hitler-630x387-1464367261.jpg

Send him this.

necrosis

echoing this; as should sites like twitter and even Facebook

if these nazis want to organize they can do it on stormfront or in hell

RinsFury

"Reddit alternative Voat"

lmao how disgusting must your views be that even Reddit finds them intolerable

Have you ever looked at voat? If reddit is a rancid cesspool, voat is the raw sewage at the bottom of a septic tank. Total nazi paradise over there.

Got

Banned

it's not free speech.

maybe if more people attempt to enlighten themselves and proceed to learn beyond basic education (though this is a basic education thing) the world would be a better place. maybe.

my guess is you aren't responding as you've avoided correcting yourself in the four hours since which i guess makes sense as you'd rather mosey along and be wrong somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom