• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos is Going on Real Time with Bill Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
That wasn't a part of the interview... That looks like the overtime segment.

And that's not a 'I agree with that statement' shrug, it's a 'I have no opinion on that statement because I don't know the facts about it and as such cannot offer a rebuttal' shrug.

That's what people are up in arms about? I'm sure people are going to correct him and he will mention that he was wrong to not challenge him about it on the spot... But there's a real possibility he just didn't know.

Then at the bare minimum you ask for facts or evidence to back up such a claim. If people should be learning anything from the Trump administration is that you cannot just take claims from peoples mouths at face value and believe them.

Unfortunately their tends to be such a thing as bias naivety rampant with this whole fake news shit where people will believe anything people like Trump and Milo say but won't believe a word from anyone else even with facts. That doesn't mean you give up calling out this bullshit and showing the lies for the saner moderates in between who can be woken up.

Huh.

Pointing out that Maher didn't know the underlying facts is defending it?

I literally said in the same post that because those facts are wrong, that he will be corrected by his fans and will likely apologize for not fighting him back in person.

Unless you're living under a rock you'll know that statements like transsexuals are disproportionately large when it comes to committing crimes is a straight up bullshit lie.

Going "oh well he'll be corrected off camera afterwards so it's okay" is an other equally offensive bullshit statement.

If some one shits in your coffee and all you Do is watch shrug and then take a sip you're either a fucking moron or you love shit in your coffee.

But open your eyes to understanding that he is actively trying to provoke reactions like that, because he knows exactly how to use them to his own benefit.

I get that, and I understand your response to my previous post, but I feel like it mighta missed what I was getting at:

Why is it that you just cede a "win" to him for being treated like a White Supremacist should be treated?

How is that not inherently defeatist? To allow the White Supremacist to set the terms of victory, and then to allow those terms of victory to be a bar so low that a single protest action is enough for him to clear it with no challenge.

Why is it that it's a win when he says he won?

That's what I'm getting at here. You keep talking about not letting him play the victim. I'm talking about why it is we let ourselves reward his bad acting. Because his playing of the victim only carries weight if we agree that he was victimized.

It's like we're conflating self-defense with attempted assault.

D i Z

Don't give him the opportunity to play the victim.

Listen, if you put me in the same room as him, I'm not sure I wouldn't end up trying to beat the shit out of him myself. I don't doubt that he could completely get under my skin and make me lose my shit.

But open your eyes to understanding that he is actively trying to provoke reactions like that, because he knows exactly how to use them to his own benefit.

Milo is trying to provoke a reaction but he has limits. The one he's counting on is for everyone to be struck silent. There is weakness in being stunned like that. That is the absolute process played to perfection. But Milo isn't looking for what happens when the talk is over. None of these shitheads are. Believe that the exit strategy is always in effect.

I had to google it after he said it as I didn't know either. Obviously horseshit, but I wouldn't say either way without knowing the facts. I had no idea if it was true or not either.

Trans people are a small % of the people in this country. Some one tells you they're a significant number of the perpetrators of crimes in this country doesn't reek of bullshit to you? Do you not have any common sense ?

Breads

Banned
How did you infer that from my post? Because I did not state anywhere that it makes it okay. It doesn't. To both of your questions.

I'm trying to understand what telling people this was an entertainment venue is supposed to for the conversation. What part of this did we not get before? What is supposed to change now that you have graced us with the knowledge that the main goal was to be entertained?

Okay, so we can't assume that he is uninformed about the subject, but we can assume that he doesn't care.

I just want to make sure we're all on the same page, here.

Ohhhhh.

Oh I didn't see that. Okay, that's pretty fucked up. My apologies.

We weren't assuming anything. We watched it. You, apparently, did not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This thread has 125,000 views.

Milo won.

The only thing it won is a new list of people that I can safely ignore when it comes to political opinions.

The Wilmore thing is great as being a little more cathartic for those of us who know what a shitstain Milo is, but other than that it's pointless. Nobody inclined to agree with Milo is turned away from that. Hell, the fact that it came from a black man probably pushed their support even more.

Not really, because Milo fetishizes black men - did you not catch the point where he found a way to work in the fact that he has a black boyfriend into the conversation?

Maxim726X

Yeah ok sure.

He has corrected his positions before, after being presented with the facts.

Trains people are a small % of the people in this country. Some one tells you they're a significant number of the perpetrators of crimes in this country doesn't reek of bullshit to you? Do you not have any common sense ?

I would think that there is no statistical difference, personally. It's honestly something I've never even thought about before, so I wouldn't presume to speak on the subject with any authority.

Lois_Lane

And that's not a 'I agree with that statement' shrug, it's a 'I have no opinion on that statement because I don't know the facts about it and as such cannot offer a rebuttal' shrug.

That's what people are up in arms about? I'm sure people are going to correct him and he will mention that he was wrong to not challenge him about it on the spot... But there's a real possibility he just didn't know.

How though? How!? This has been Milo's schtick for years. How do you invite someone onto your show and spend no time researching what he might say.

NYR

Trains people are a small % of the people in this country. Some one tells you they're a significant number of the perpetrators of crimes in this country doesn't reek of bullshit to you? Do you not have any common sense ?
Well, first off, no need to insult me.

Of course it reeked of bullshit. But I didn't know and am not ashamed to admit I don't rush to judgements without knowing the facts. Just like I didn't know until this morning West Palm Beach has as much crime per capita as Chicago until I read the facts this morning. I wouldn't agree if someone told me that but after reading the facts behind it, so yeah, I changed my mind on it.

I would think that there is no statistical difference, personally. It's honestly something I've never even thought about before, so I wouldn't presume to speak on the subject with any authority.
Exactly. Thank you for being reasonable and not just insulting my inability to have common sense just because I respectfully disagree.

Maxim726X

How though? How!? This has been Milo's schtick for years. How do you invite someone onto your show and spend no time researching what he might say.

As someone that doesn't follow him closely, I didn't know about his thoughts on trans rights at all.

No idea it was a main talking point for him, either, honestly.

Members have left that Church as a result of others engaging them.

They leave after staying with them for an extended period of time of no one giving a shit about their "religion". They don't just watch them get destroyed in a debate and leave immediately. It also helps that the family is actively trying to turn away members.

karasu

People say this about every single way you try to resist the alt-right. If we argue verbally we're too elitist and out of touch and that's why Trump won. if we slap them in the mouth, we're just giving them exactly what they want. If we talk about the alt-right amongst ourselves people look at the view count and claim Milo won.On and on. It's kind of ridiculous. All I know is that people don't look at Richard Spencer the same since he got slapped in the fucking mouth. Maybe the same will work with Milo.

cerulily

Huh.

Pointing out that Maher didn't know the underlying facts is defending it?

I literally said in the same post that because those facts are wrong, that he will be corrected by his fans and will likely apologize for not fighting him back in person.

Anyone with basic critical thinking or argument skills knows that saying "most of X demographic commits Y crime" is fallacious as hell and loaded. Only an idiot would claim to run a panel show of discussion and not know this bullshit.

KRod-57

Banned

Yeah, if Bill had information that said otherwise he almost definitely would have called him out on it. Everything I've read on the matter suggest trans people are disproportionately the victims of sex crimes (not the other way around). That doesn't nessisarily refute what Milo said, so I would really like to see a fact check on that statement.

Of course another thing to consider is trans people make of 0.3% of our overall populous, so what would disproportionate really mean?

Another thing I'd like to see challenged is when Milo called it a psychological condition. I don't know a whole lot about the condition, but everything I have heard from people who work in mental health is that it is a neurological condition. That is, it consists in the nervous system, and is not nessisarily in the mind alone.

badblue

Gold Member
I don't want him on television. At all.

Berkeley put him on television. I don't think discouraging violent protest against a troll who loves to play the victim is any kind of high road.

If you counter him with violent protest, you are legitimizing his claims of victim. You are also drawing more eyes to him that would other wise just ignore him. I have never read anything from Milo, but after seeing what happened in Berkeley I want to see if what he is saying calls for that type of response.

It's the Barbra Streisand effect.

Ignore him, stop giving him attention and he will get less power. If you are going to protest this fucker, then do it peacefully. After all a news story about a peaceful protest is not going to get as much attention as rioting and forcing a school to go into lockdown.

Breads

Banned
You said he doesn't care.

Is that a fact? Or perhaps you don't understand what an assumption is?

I didn't say he doesn't care. You said there was a possibility he doesn't know. I added in "or care". The assumption is still on you. I didn't assume a thing. I went off a quote.

Perhaps you don't understand how words do.

I get that, and I understand your response to my previous post, but I feel like it mighta missed what I was getting at:

Why is it that you just cede a "win" to him for being treated like a White Supremacist should be treated?

How is that not inherently defeatist? To allow the White Supremacist to set the terms of victory, and then to allow those terms of victory to be a bar so low that a single protest action is enough for him to clear it with no challenge.

Why is it that it's a win when he says he won?

That's what I'm getting at here. You keep talking about not letting him play the victim. I'm talking about why it is we let ourselves reward his bad acting. Because his playing of the victim only carries weight if we agree that he was victimized.

It's like we're conflating self-defense with attempted assault.

I watched this guy attach himself to a cause he didn't remotely believe in to increase his visibility.

So I don't know that he's a white supremacist. I'm not saying he isn't, but I'm saying, past behavior shows that he's 100% okay with pretending to support a cause just because it's the controversial thing to do and will ensure that more people know who he is and give him more power to upset people and take enjoyment from it.

He is a supremely shitty person.

When I call Berkeley a win for him, it is because it got him exactly what he wanted. He doesn't care how many people hate him, or how many people like him, or whether they are good or bad people. He just cares about being the center of attention.

He admits that he enjoys saying shocking and hateful things and getting other people to lose their shit. He thinks it's funny that those of us who aren't sociopaths get upset about things.

But I'm far from admitting defeat and surrendering here. I'm just trying to get people to realize that he is a troll first and foremost, whatever else he might be, and we beat him by treating him accordingly.

And we should want to beat him, because yes, whether he believes the horrible crap he is saying doesn't stop it being harmful.

We just need to handle him differently.

I can't focus on how he 'deserves' to be treated, when how he was treated in Berkeley gave him what he wanted. Can't we be goal oriented here instead of thinking in terms of what someone does or doesn't deserve to happen to them?

To overly simplify it as much as I can: I don't think we should punch a Nazi if they're a masochist.

NYR

If you counter him with violent protest, you are legitimizing his claims of victim. You are also drawing more eyes to him that would other wise just ignore him. I have never read anything from Milo, but after seeing what happened in Berkeley I want to see if what he is saying calls for that type of response.

Ignore him, stop giving him attention and he will get less power. If you are going to protest this fucker, then do it peacefully. After all a news story about a peaceful protest is not going to get as much attention as rioting and forcing a school to go into lockdown.
Well said.

This thread is proof. Look at the number of views and posts in this thread vs the Real Time thread that is 6 years old and doesn't have as many posts than this thread.

I would think that there is no statistical difference, personally. It's honestly something I've never even thought about before

I've never thought about it either. But I've also never thought about the % of horse doctors who commit crimes, but if you told me they were disproportionately involved in crime I would laugh at the absurdity of that statement.

This thread is proof. Look at the number of views and posts in this thread vs the Real Time thread that is 6 years old and doesn't have as many posts than this thread.

These threads only have a large number of posts and views because you have people begging us to "just ignore this person who is inciting violence against transsexuals and people of color" and the decent people who have to keep coming back to these threads to tell them that they're wrong.

People say this about every single way you try to resist the alt-right. If we argue verbally we're too elitist and out of touch and that's why Trump won. if we slap them in the mouth, we're just giving them exactly what they want. If we talk about the alt-right amongst ourselves people look at the view count and claim Milo won.On and on. It's kind of ridiculous. All I know is that people don't look at Richard Spencer the same since he got slapped in the fucking mouth. Maybe the same will work with Milo.

"People" may say that about every way people resist the alt right. I don't.

Please, punch Spencer all day long and film it and put it on the internet so I can enjoy it. Spencer doesn't want to get punched in the face. So punch on.

If you counter him with violent protest, you are legitimizing his claims of victim.

Any claims of victimization while out spreading a message of intolerance and White Supremacy should be severely questioned if not dismissed entirely considering what an injurious and destructive mission he's on in the first place.

This is what I'm getting at: Why does his claiming of "victimization" get equal weight (if not preferential treatment, honestly) as opposed to the people he's specifically out there to dehumanize?

Why are we, as a country, letting white supremacists dictate, with no challenge, what legitimate victimization is as their entire mode of being is intended to legtimately victimize women and minorities.

I watched this guy attach himself to a cause he didn't remotely believe in to increase his visibility.

So I don't know that he's a white supremacist. I'm not saying he isn't, but I'm saying, past behavior shows that he's 100% okay with pretending to support a cause just because it's the controversial thing to do and will ensure that more people know who he is and give him more power to upset people and take enjoyment from it.

I get you, but at that point, there's no reason to search for a distinction. Whether he believes his bullshit or not, or whether he's doing it for the lulz, it functionally doesn't even matter at that point because the damage he's doing is still damage. You say as much in your post, so I know you get that aspect of it.

I understand the idea that punching a masochist is only giving him what he wants but I also don't know that he's actually been punched. Primarily because people persist in promoting this falsified/mythologized vision of the high road as the only realistic method of dealing with him.

For Maher always trying to get attention by being a loud mouth and a badass, he sure made certain to joke around with Milo and use the kid gloves. Why do people give this guy so much praise?

D i Z

This never works. Turning the lights out and closing the blinders to the world doesn't make the problems go away. All this accomplishes is allowing these problems to multiply unchecked right outside your front door.. Gamergate and a dozen other contemporary examples of this in action have taught this community not a damned thing.

Sianos

I find it odd that the "lose" condition for Milo is that he gets to "find common ground" with people perceived to be more reasonable and an unabated platform for us all to hear his bile. That his "lose" condition is people saying "well, the white nationalist has a point...".

So he wins if he's protested against or presented in a damning light in threads like these, but loses if we just let him define the narrative because the common man totally has the necessary cognitive tools to see through his tripe with no background on the subject and thus isn't just going to roll over? That's definitely how this election went, yep.

People can be swayed. It's a lot easier to sway them when you're not constantly letting them be exposed and/or exposing themselves to the low level (or sometimes turnt way the fuck up) radiation of normalized white supremacy via mainstream outlets.

Now the argument here seems to always butt up against what I was talking about earlier - this fucking crazy misconception that the only way to neutralize that normalization is to calmly counterpoint its idiocy on a mainstream outlet while it's still on camera and getting equal time to speak.

Fascist White Nationalism does not need to be on TV in order for you to sway people against it.

And if your only argument for letting it hold that equal airtime is that "well, you're being unfair to Fascist White Nationalism if you don't" then I guess I just...

I mean, what the fuck is wrong with being unfair to Fascist White Nationalism? How is this a stance that people can look at negatively?

Our racist-ass country FOUGHT A WAR TO STOP IT in the 1940s.

It's 70+ years later and you're arguing that it's unfair to speak against it unless it's provided equal airtime on TV to make its own case?

C'mon.

We have been lazy abut always making Hitler comparisons and Hitler analogies in the last 15+ years (perhaps a lot longer!

Nazi comparisons are so easy to make, and as a result we have boy-cry-wolf mode were being a nazi isn't a bad as it should be. After all everyone who voted for Trump are people we are calling neo nazi sympathizers. We already wrought ourselves half way there. We spend more time frofthing at the mouth at anyone who says anything that is barely controversial at all. Be it a harmless Neil DeGrasse Tyson Tweet or a kettlebellkaleshake meatheads pot podcast.

Nazi ideology is a contradiction on itself and even the real fathers of fascism laughed and dismissed Nazism because it was so stupid. It doesn't even make sense in the framework of how Mussolini proposed. That is why we like to invoke nazi comparisons all the time. Nazis are the ultimate fun evil. shooting nazis, making fun of them- It's the go to move and has been for a long time.
But human beings are malleable and now the horns don't ring as sharp as they should. Nazis are a staple in pop culture; video games; movies; lame ass puns. It's the beloved boogyman of the western world.

People can be swayed, but how likely do you believe this is Bobby? - After all, we've seen so many studies and research that shows that people do not respond at all to facts or logical arguments. Beliefs are held deep, because they are emotional in nature and formed from experience. I don't believe that things would have been any different had Maher owned Milo. People being predisposed for Nazi ideology are so fucking insane and demented already.

Washington Post had an article about the confirmation bias and cognitive bias that betrays any possibility of a sensible discussion:

Trying to correct misperceptions can actually reinforce them, according to a 2006 paper by Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler, also cited by Graves. They documented what they called a “backfire effect” by showing the persistence of the belief that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction in 2005 and 2006, after the United States had publicly admitted that they didn’t exist. “The results show that direct factual contradictions can actually strengthen ideologically grounded factual belief,” they wrote.

Next Graves examined how attempts to debunk myths can reinforce them, simply by repeating the untruth. He cited a 2005 study in the Journal of Consumer Research on “How Warnings about False Claims Become Recommendations.” It seems that people remember the assertion and forget whether it’s a lie. The authors wrote: “The more often older adults were told that a given claim was false, the more likely they were to accept it as true after several days have passed.”

Screaming back at Trump for these past 12 months may have been satisfying for his critics, but it hasn’t dented his support much. What seems to be hurting Trump in the polls now are self-destructive comments that trouble even his most passionate supporters. Attempts to aggressively “correct” his remaining fans may only deepen their attachment.

What is going on is that people will not respond to logic. You can say all the facts about Trump or Milo or Breitbart. It won't matter because the truth is not what matters.
Reagan planted seeds that made inevetible we would get to this point. There was no way it was not going to devulge into this, and we have had people like Chomsky warning about this for a long time.

I truly hope that Liberals will channel their outrage out on the people who wish harm on others- Not on fellow liberals who might have a different opinion about why or why the opponents should or shouldn't have the microphone.
People can disagree on how to proceed, but if this thread is any indication (and I think it is) liberals are more pissed at other liberals rather than the actual nazis, simply because they disagree.
This was the case during the election. It wasn't the Trump supporters who caused nearly as much anger as the Bernie Supporters "fake independents".

And that is telling because on the conservative side they do not have the same internal feuds and purity tests where they turn on each other like we do. How can we agree on 90% of the issues and still hate each other like mortal beings and call each other neo-nazis when our disagreements is about hypotheticals regarding an unknown amount of possible converted TV couch voters who watch a TV show? It doesn't make sense.

We want unity, but very few of us as liberals want to give ground. So we shoot each other in the back as we argue about the way forward. conservatives push their agenda on the things that they agree on; their bible, guns, abortion, limited government.
Liberals fight and condemn each other on every single issue they do not have complete agreement on; israel, trade deals, fracking, civil rights, minority issues. Nobody is really an ally if they have an alternative opinion on one of these thins. Nobody is really not a true golden liberal. There is not a lot of room for maneuvering. And the spectrum of going to a good loyal liberal to a nazi sympathizer is a slim one. We have to focus less on people being wrong on certain issues and move forward based on the things that hold us together.
I've never in my life seen politics that didn't involve compromises. I don't know of a liberal society that has mandated legislation without compromising on its values in order to win.

I get you, but at that point, there's no reason to search for a distinction. Whether he believes his bullshit or not, or whether he's doing it for the lulz, it functionally doesn't even matter at that point because the damage he's doing is still damage. You say as much in your post, so I know you get that aspect of it.

This is something a lot of people don't understand, and it was brought up a lot during the election.

"Is Trump REALLY a racist? Is he really a bigot, or is he just playing one for votes???"

Who fucking cares if he actually is or not? All the actual racists and bigots will follow him like the Pied Piper regardless.

This never works. Turning the lights out and closing the blinders to the world doesn't make the problems go away. All this accomplishes is allowing these problems to multiply unchecked right outside your front door.. Gamergate and a dozen other contemporary examples of this in action have taught this community not a damned thing.
TIL, if you just let the cockroaches be when they infest your house they will leave!

zeemumu

I think you two are arguing stopping the spread vs. countering it, right?

Ignoring it only works when the person can only maintain relevance through constantly stirring shit up on purpose because all other avenues of exposure have been shut down, like blacklisted celebrities who go through a crazy period and start saying the earth is flat and in another dimension or ritualistically sacrificing chickens in their closet for several years to appease a voodoo deity. I don't think this is one of those cases.

Any claims of victimization while out spreading a message of intolerance and White Supremacy should be severely questioned if not dismissed entirely considering what an injurious and destructive mission he's on in the first place.

This is what I'm getting at: Why does his claiming of "victimization" get equal weight (if not preferential treatment, honestly) as opposed to the people he's specifically out there to dehumanize?

Why are we, as a country, letting white supremacists dictate, with no challenge, what legitimate victimization is as their entire mode of being is intended to legitimately victimize women and minorities.

If you can't see the difference between the nature of two equally dangerous people, I'm not sure what else to say. If you think the troll is the same as Spencer, and you keep trying to handle him the same way, it's going to keep failing. If you think his goals are the same as Spencer's you are very wrong.

He is as harmful and as dangerous.

Please do everything you can to show that he isn't a victim, because he isn't. Please do everything you can to show the world that he purposefully provokes reactions like this purely to serve his own self interest. That will have the two fold effect of undermining all his rhetoric and showing people that he really isn't a victim here.

But we still shouldn't play into it on the front end.

I was incredibly proud of the women's marches around the world, and the airport protests, because they remained peaceful and that made them *much* harder for people on the right to ignore and undermine. That made them cut deeper.

I think to claim that they didn't have a massive impact would be turning a blind eye to reality. I think defending violent protests, undermines every single person who turned out to those peaceful protests.

The antifas in Berkeley absolutely helped this fucker. No one should be happy about that. The antifas who punched Spencer? Didn't help him at all.

Maybe both 'deserve' a punch. But I can't deny that the troll is a very different animal here, and needs to be handled completely differently.

I think we should tailor our approach to the specific enemy. Just as the things that are most effective against Trump would have no effect against other people. We shouldn't have a unilateral strategy against any and all enemies that ignores whether they work well against specific enemies.

We don't ignore him. We respond to his rhetoric but avoid getting personal.

We don't quietly stand by and let him have a platform. But we also shouldn't play the exact roll he wants us to play, helping him to get a larger platform.

I doubt you'll meet many people who want to see his platform taken away as much as I do.

That's precisely what my goal is here. I am stating what I believe to be the best way to make that happen.

Sianos

I want to type up a full thread on this phenomenon at some point.

This culture of just ignoring ""the comments"" has let to some weird happenings. This amorphous mass of hate that everyone knows is bad, but no one actually knows what goes on inside of it. So you get people vouching for elevating the voice of the amorphous mass of hate - which they themselves won't listen to, saying it's not as bad as labels imply - without checking what it is they are actually describing, and trying to claim visible elements jutting out of the mass aren't actually a part of the amorphous mass of hate - yet once again they don't actually tread inside to discover the depth of the hate, because on some level they are rightfully disgusted by it. They've abstracted so far out that their idea of what the alt-right believes in and what the alt-right actually writes in its manifestos are significantly different, with them rationalizing the former yet still being scared to even venture upon the latter.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Not surprised that the Thought Police at GAF are turning on Maher here. God forbid he invites someone to his show who thinks differently than you!

I guess Howard Stern and Maury Povich are assholes for inviting KKK members to their studio too.

What you fail to realize is that Bill Maher is an entertainer first and a champion for the 'left' second.

While other members of Hollywood use their celebrity to stand up for politics they believe in, Bill makes a career out politics. Friday's episode was probably one of his biggest ever. Don't hate on him for sensational television..

I really think you guys need to get off the Internet sometimes and go outside and face reality. There are other people living on this planet.

Armaros

Not surprised that the Thought Police at GAF are turning on Maher here. God forbid he invites someone to his show who thinks differently than you!

I guess Howard Stern and Maury Povich are assholes for inviting KKK members to their studio too.

What you fail to realize is that Bill Maher is an entertainer first and a champion for the 'left' second.

While other members of Hollywood use their celebrity to stand up for politics they believe in, Bill makes a career out politics. Friday's episode was probably one of his biggest ever. Don't hate on him for sensational television..

I really think you guys need to get off the Internet sometimes and go outside and face reality. There are other people living on this planet.

Yes, the ones that are getting banned from the country.

Syder

He is a supremely shitty person.

When I call Berkeley a win for him, it is because it got him exactly what he wanted. He doesn't care how many people hate him, or how many people like him, or whether they are good or bad people. He just cares about being the center of attention.

He admits that he enjoys saying shocking and hateful things and getting other people to lose their shit. He thinks it's funny that those of us who aren't sociopaths get upset about things.

But I'm far from admitting defeat and surrendering here. I'm just trying to get people to realize that he is a troll first and foremost, whatever else he might be, and we beat him by treating him accordingly.
It's almost as if saying horrible, deplorable shit about marginalised groups [even if you're apart of one] for attention and then slowly moving towards being more moderate and centrist for mainstream appeal is a valid tactic for getting famous.

It sucks but based on Milo's performance on Maher's show last night people should get used to seeing him on TV.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He considers himself a political commentator - he even says he is more entitled to a political opinion than celebrities with pet causes because it's his "job".

Ashsturm

Only Wilmore treated that segment with the seriousness it warranted.

Maher and the other guests playing the game of throwing out insubstantial quips and avoiding confrontation does an injustice for the people affected by these comments.

I know there's always the defense of "this is a comedy, not news programme" but you're providing a platform for political figures and should be taking responsibility for that. I suspect he would've even turned down Trevor Noah or Samantha Bee if it had been them rather than Maher

Ironically given the news today of a cut to public broadcasting this is where a station not driven by ratings could step in. For all is problems it makes me thankful for the BBC over here in the UK

Maher is an idiot for giving a troll who purely wants to generate outrage and boost his own standing a platform, yes. Unless he wanted to help him do it, in which case, well he's not an idiot, but he's an awful person.

If you want to debate a bad ideology and you want to invite on a guest who believes it to highlight the flaws in that idealogy, please, go ahead.

Just don't feed a goddamn troll.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

o9p3wg6iaf6y.jpg

Sianos

I do realize this, which is why I would appreciate him shutting the fuck up when he's out of his depth. You don't see me declaring that I'm going to engage an experienced rhetorician in a televised "debate" to prove how wrong his hateful views are, then showing up and getting clowned on without knowing even the basics on the subject matter. I know I'm better suited for the format of semantics debates in writing, so that's what I do.

Once again, I thought the argument in favor of "debating" scum is that it's an opportunity to demonstrate how scummy they are. I didn't realize we've slid down to having to let the scum lie and deflect without reproach so that they can present a full case against the humanity of minorities.

Here's some sensational TV if that's what you're looking for, though.

Jebusman

Banned
Thought Police

If at any time you start unironically using the terms "thought police", you need to stop and reconsider what's being discussed, or at least consider what you're seemingly trying to casually dismiss.

Also seeing as how you've already made it clear before you have no idea who people are actually taking about or somehow think that protesting against Milo's speech is apparently fascism. I'm not really sure to what level of care you actually have for this, or if it's just more concern trolling.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
John Stuart MIll was recently quoted in a book I am reading. I found the quote appropriate to this issue.

John Stuart Mill said:
He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that...Not is it enough that he should hear the arguments of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. That is not the way to do justice to the arguments, or bring them into real contact with his own mind. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them; who defend them in earnest, and do their very utmost for them. He must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form...

I think it poses a fine argument. In order to ingrain a firm belief against an idea, you must engage that idea and their believers directly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
John Stuart MIll was recently quoted in a book I am reading. I found the quote appropriate to this issue.

I think it poses a fine argument. In order to ingrain a firm belief against an idea, you must engage that idea and their believers directly.

Guys, fascism is a legitimate political ideology. It's just like wanting lower taxes! It's totally on the same level! It's not like allowing fascists a platform to spread their ideas always leads to disastrous results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom