• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Princess Madelyn! Indie Ghouls'n Ghosts type game for Switch, PC, PS4, XB1

Vitacat

HApemTz.png

UPDATE 3/28: Kickstarter still ongoing through April 14, but game is beyond fully funded now ($109K funded vs. $44K initial goal). NOTE: prices are in CAD, so for example that $35 tier is only $26 USD. A good deal IMO since you get both PC and console versions. Vita diehards take note: if they get to $150K the Vita version is the final stretch goal!

UPDATE 3/15: pre-alpha demo now on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/603930/

kRD7yAp.png

---

I was just watching this video from Eurogamer, and IMO this game looks brilliant. It's basically an indie Ghoulsn'Ghosts clone done really well. Kinda like Locomalito's excellent Maldita Castilla (see Cursed Castilla on Steam) relative to Ghosts'n Goblins. Personally, I'm considering both the Switch and Steam release, depending on price.

Please go watch some videos of it, because as nice as it looks in screenshots, it looks way better in motion. Lots of really cool effects going on.

Very cool backstory to the game as well:

"When Creative Director Christopher Obritsch's daughter Madelyn wanted to be in Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and fight 'Green Head', he said it was someone else's game - but he could make her one that was like it. 'But girls can't be knights, Daddy. Only boys...' she said, to which he answered 'Pshh...What color do you want your armor to be?'. The answer was pink. ;) And that's how this game started. Chris' daughter Madelyn loves the first stage of Ghouls ‘n Ghosts and makes him play it over and over because she wants to see him fight 'Green head', the Shielder boss at the end of the first stage. It's not hard for her to twist his rubber arm, as it's been his favorite game since it came out all those years ago."

med_Battle-Princess-Madelyn-SweetDanceMovesBro.jpg

NOTE: be sure to also check out Cursed Castilla if you don't know it already. I am also told it will come to consoles as well as 3DS!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Holy shit!! Not only is this a badass backstory, but the game looks like a Ghouls n Ghosts game we might've seen in the 32-bit generation!

Day one!!! Probably going to grab this on Switch.

Magikoopa24

Neo Member
Man, I thought this game looked great before, but now knowing that the obvious G&Gness was for a little girl who wanted to be a knight is fantastic. Day 1.

Vitacat

Man, I thought this game looked great before, but now knowing that the obvious G&Gness was for a little girl who wanted to be a knight is fantastic. Day 1.

Agreed. Reminds me of Pauline Donkey Kong, if you're familiar with that (I actually have it running on a cabinet -- my wife adores it!).

Vitacat

These rip-off clones rub me the wrong way. But hey, Capcom's doing fuck all with the series, so why not.

I get what you mean. Sadly a lot of great classic IP's are, for various reasons, ignored by their rights owners. So, I welcome polished indie clones when they're done well.

Same with Shin'en's Fast seres. Would I far prefer a true new F-Zero? Yes! But if a nice indie close (well, semi clone) is what I can get, I'll take it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would buy the shit out of this game. 32-bit graphics are the height of 2D game visuals, as far as I'm concerned.

fvng

These rip-off clones rub me the wrong way. But hey, Capcom's doing fuck all with the series, so why not.

Yeah Maldita Castilla straight up took scenes and stages from ghouls and ghosts and other games, but it's will done so i cant complain.

fvng

Searched to see if there was a thread specifically about this game yet, and didn't find one. Apologies if I erred.

Anyway, I was just watching this video from Eurogamer, and IMO this game looks brilliant. It's basically an indie Ghoulsn'Ghosts clone done really well. Kinda like Locomalito's excellent Maldita Castilla (see Cursed Castilla on Steam) relative to Ghosts'n Goblins. Personally, I'm considering both the Switch and Steam release, depending on price.

Please go watch some videos of it, because as nice as it looks in screenshots, it looks way better in motion. Lots of really cool effects going on.

Very cool backstory to the game as well:

"When Creative Director Christopher Obritsch's daughter Madelyn wanted to be in Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and fight 'Green Head', he said it was someone else's game - but he could make her one that was like it. 'But girls can't be knights, Daddy. Only boys...' she said, to which he answered 'Pshh...What color do you want your armor to be?'. The answer was pink. ;) And that's how this game started. Chris' daughter Madelyn loves the first stage of Ghouls ‘n Ghosts and makes him play it over and over because she wants to see him fight 'Green head', the Shielder boss at the end of the first stage. It's not hard for her to twist his rubber arm, as it's been his favorite game since it came out all those years ago."

med_Battle-Princess-Madelyn-SweetDanceMovesBro.jpg

NOTE: be sure to also check out Cursed Castilla if you don't know it already. I am also told it will come to consoles as well as 3DS!

i dont really buy that story as being real (since it seems a straight plagriasm of that guy that hacked donky kong for his daughter)... but it's a smart PR move. That backstory is going to get it coverage with feminist frequency, kotaku, jezebel, polygon, and non-video game mainstream media

andymcc

Banned
i dont really buy that story as being real (since it seems a straight plagriasm of that guy that hacked donky kong for his daughter)... but it's a smart PR move. That backstory is going to get it coverage with feminist frequency, kotaku, jezebel, polygon, and non-video game mainstream media

Would you call it collusion in the gaming media?

On topic, looks dope. I love gng style throwbacks and would rather see them over most other indie retro revival titles.

Vitacat

Well, who knows. That's a cynical view you have, but these days I can understand it. My personal interest in this game is nothing to do with feminism or sexual politics. But I do think it's nice to see women and girls represented in games more.

Regardless, the game looks excellent for what it is.

dcx4610

I love the sweet story behind the making of the game but instead of a game inspired by Ghosts N' Goblins, it looks like straight up plagiarism. I can't see this getting very far before Capcom jumps in.

I would actually love for Capcom to reach out and license it as a spiritual successor or even an entry into the franchise but these things usually don't have happy endings.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I love the sweet story behind the making of the game but instead of a game inspired by Ghosts N' Goblins, it looks like straight up plagiarism. I can't see this getting very far before Capcom jumps in.

I would actually love for Capcom to reach out and license it as a spiritual successor or even an entry into the franchise but these things usually don't have happy endings.

They're not lifting any copyrightable elements from GnG -- ain't nothing to worry about here.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
looks great, if it's a little more accessible than GnG I'll def pick it up for Switch

🙄

Nezzhil

Awesome. G&G are amazing, Maldita Castilla is amazing too. We need more of these games for sure.
And the history about the dev and his daughter is awesome!

fvng

Would you call it collusion in the gaming media?

On topic, looks dope. I love gng style throwbacks and would rather see them over most other indie retro revival titles.

no i wouldn't say collusion I just think its the kind of fluff pieces that news outlets like that love to pick up on... that being said, i'm buying the fuck out of this because it looks great

AmyS

Battle Princess Madelyn looks good, but not fantastic. While it's absolutely based on Ghouls 'n Ghosts, it doesn't seem nearly as good or polished as the 1988 arcade original.

Here's poster of the X68000 which was basically identical.

xQxuFBE.jpg

And the UK arcade flyer.

PADXLhc.jpg

I'm definitely buying Battle Princess Madelyn, I love these kind of games and it seems like a good homage, but only old school Capcom can match old school Capcom.

1upsuper

Yeah Maldita Castilla straight up took scenes and stages from ghouls and ghosts and other games, but it's will done so i cant complain.

It actually didn't. Like, at all. The windmill stage is definitely an aesthetic homage to Ghouls 'n Ghosts but that's all it is. Not really sure why so many people conflate homage with rip off.

At any rate, this looks quite cool. GnG is one of my favorite game series, actually, and I just recently played through the first three again. Maldita Castilla is also wonderful. I'm glad to see devs recognize how great that series is.

My interest in this will kind of hinge on the difficulty. I like Ghouls n Ghosts, but I seem to be unable to get very far in these games. If there's difficulty settings that are scrub-friendly, I'm in.

Ghouls n ghosts is my favorite classic game so I'll definitely get this if it reviews well. I'm just not liking the color haze present in every stage, it makes it look very Playstation era and I prefer the 16bit aesthetic for this kind of game, like Cursed Castilla which I'll pick up if it comes to the switch.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
My interest in this will kind of hinge on the difficulty. I like Ghouls n Ghosts, but I seem to be unable to get very far in these games. If there's difficulty settings that are scrub-friendly, I'm in.

I hear you. I love the horror themes of the series but the difficulty is a killer. I did a playthrough of Cursed Castilla for my channel and had to put it in a video with another game I loved but couldn't beat as sort of a package deal. It's too bad because I loved them both a lot but just couldn't seal the deal quite.

xergal

Neo Member
Nice to see Battle Princess Madelyn here! I actually represent Causal Bit Games and was going to see if there was interest in a potential AMA with the team?

Can someone tell me, what's the procedure to get this approved? Ask one of the mods?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nice to see Battle Princess Madelyn here! I actually represent Causal Bit Games and was going to see if there was interest in a potential AMA with the team?

Can someone tell me, what's the procedure to get this approved? Ask one of the mods?

Yep, ask one of the mods.

Mawile

Banned
What's this? A video game starring a female character that isn't sexualized and looks like it has good graphics and gameplay?

Sign me the fuck up.

Screen looks way too crowded when you kill multiple enemies, which is going to be a huge issue if this game is anywhere near as punishing as it's inspiration. Also looks a little basic, but I suppose it's true to form in that regard. I'll bite, if they get the balancing right. Getting hit due to cheapness or screen cluttering is never fun for me.

Top Bottom