• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Zojirushi

Paradoxically, I am 100% convinced that this port would have been far better received if they had simply not offered a MSAA setting at all.

Which sends a rather bad message to developers.

I feel like people are complaining about more things than just "can't get 60fps with 8xMSAA" though.

Durante

To be fair, labelling the settings correctly would've been a good start. People seem to think the game only has postprocess AA, and the AO option messes with that somehow, whereas in reality the AA option controls MSAA and I'm pretty sure the AO option doesn't affect AO at all, only postprocess AA.
That would be really intriguing if it were true. I haven't experimented with anything since I'd rather be playing the game.

I feel like people are complaining about more things than just "can't get 60fps with 8xMSAA" though.
Maybe, but I believe the "primary port impression" for a great many people is formed by putting the game on "high" (which includes 8xMSAA!) and then being disappointed at the performance results. Take that away, and you invariably end up with a much more well-received package. (not by everyone of course, like me. A MSAA option goes a long way to make me happy ;))

Crevox

To be fair, labelling the settings correctly would've been a good start. People seem to think the game only has postprocess AA, and the AO option messes with that somehow, whereas in reality the AA option controls MSAA and I'm pretty sure the AO option doesn't affect AO at all, only postprocess AA.

If the AA was "on" and "off" as the settings I would assume it's post process, but with options like "2x 4x 8x" I assume it's not post process. Although, to be honest, I don't think the general consumer would know the difference, and just looks for the higher number and/or "ON must be better image quality."

I don't think this is a fault of Nier though. People go and buy a graphics card, get a new game, and just immediately press the graphics preset to "SUPER ULTRA" and expect the game to run perfectly. Some graphics settings are extremely taxing for marginal gains... expecting 4k 8x MSAA to run well on an intensive game is silly, but they don't know any better. Even worse when their GPU overheats, the game crashes or starts showing artifacts, and then they blame the game cause they can't be bothered to make sure their GPU isn't cooking first.

A lot of games nowadays don't include MSAA, or don't include options like these in their very high presets even though they provide better image quality.

Options like these also provide great future proofing, cause even if we may not be able to run something like that now, when the new GTX 20,000 comes out with 10 billion teraflops, we can enjoy that nice image quality at the higher frame rates.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah MSAA always needs to be labeled better. People often don't realise (fairly) just how much their killing performance with it

Edit: Maybe even a 'disable AA for performance' in the OP might be useful

Vertti

980 Ti OC'd
4690k @ 4.5
16GB RAM
On SSD

1440p, AA off, AO on. Steady 60 fps the whole time. Looks much nicer than on original PS4 and runs smoothly. I'm really happy.

JBwB

-Weird pop in issues when AA & AO are enabled at the same time.
-9S's annoying AF button prompt (E / X) is visible even when the rest of the HUD is hidden.

Those are my main issues with this port so far. Fix those and I'm all good.

Corpekata

Banned
From what I've tested yeah. I've had to disable AA for the meantime because the pop in was really bothering me.

Have you tried external AA to see if you can get the pop in fix + some AA?

Didn't know this was a solution, will have to try it out when next launching.

JBwB

Have you tried external AA to see if you can get the pop in fix + some AA?

Didn't know this was a solution, will have to try it out when next launching.

Haven't bothered with another AA method as I think it looks clean enough when I render it at 1440p.

Durante

Ok, I did some testing:

• The "AO" option toggles both AO and (a pretty good implementation of) postprocessing AA.
  • If you enable both post-processing AA and MSAA, the transition effect between LoD levels is no longer gradual but abrupt.

As such, I suggest disabling MSAA for almost every configuration, and if you are on a 1080p monitor with a really high-end card then downsample instead. For now, I'll be playing at 1440p native with ppAA, since the minor downsampling I could do and still maintain a locked 60 FPS isn't worth it.

Also, I got a money shot.
nierautomata_2017_03_hmk84.jpg

Coreda

Ok, I did some testing:

• The "AO" option toggles both AO and (a pretty good implementation of) postprocessing AA.
  • If you enable both post-processing AA and MSAA, the transition effect between LoD levels is no longer gradual but abrupt.

So this is confirmed at this point. Cool. Earlier there were two video comparisons of the PC LoD abrubt pop-in vs the PS4 Pro smoother fade in the same location. And there were posts suggesting it was a combo of MSAA+AO, so now we know.

At 1440p you don't need AA.

People should check out Cannon Goose's 8xMSAA vs no MSAA 1440p comparison shots. Can barely notice a difference in them, and now it's been tested some ppAA was being used for the AO option it makes more sense.

Zomba13

Managed to play for a while this time before getting a crash. Though this time it was a proper "Nier has stopped responding" crash and not my driver crashing causing the white screen/last frame freeze thing. Had just beat a boss and was going down a corridor after playing for like an hour and a half.

Izuna

Banned
Paradoxically, I am 100% convinced that this port would have been far better received if they had simply not offered a MSAA setting at all.

Which sends a rather bad message to developers.

Every game should have SMAA or some variant in 2017.

UrbanRats

Can you implement AO from an external injector? Otherwise couldn't it be possible to have ingame AO off, ingame AA on, and then force AO by external means, to avoid pop in issue?

jb1234

In-game seems to run reasonably smoothly at 60 fps (with dips now and then) but the cutscenes are a stuttery mess. Is this a common problem?

Bl@de

Same gpu, running at 1440p highest settings besides AA at 2x, it is not locked 60fps in the first open world level, guessing drops to around 30fps vsync at times. My cpu is 5960 @ 4.5. Not a good performance port imo.

TW3 also runs about 45-60fps in open world, but at a higher 1600p res and i can disable vsync. Automata needs vysnc if not the tearing is very noticeable

Drops from 60 to 30? Sounds like double buffering. Not an conern for me since I have G-Sync. I'm sure I can achieve locked 60 without MSAA (and downsampling from 1440 to 1080 on my TV should be enough AA with some postprocessing)

mcmmaster

So I did some more testing with my DS4 pad not working and it turns out my Xbox pad also doesn't work with the game. It's recognising both of them as KB/M controls, and before anyone suggests messing around with Big Picture Mode's controller settings, using Input Mapper or DS4Windows they don't change a thing.

Just opened up several other Steam games and both controllers work flawlessly without any external programs or any extra tinkering with Big Picture Mode's controller settings, i'm out of solutions at this point. Going to try a fresh install and see if that works, if not then i'm swamped.

Both controllers are wired by the way so their is no bluetooth interference.

Momentary

Banned
The game does implement AO, but it does not look good. Looks very splotchy in the places that it does show up. It's so weak that it's not noticeable.

Can you implement AO from an external injector? Otherwise couldn't it be possible to have ingame AO off, ingame AA on, and then force AO by external means, to avoid pop in issue?

There is a way with reshade, but it looks bad in some areas due to it clashing with darker backgrounds while it also still permeates through prerendered cut scenes and menus. I just turned it off.

Mailbox

So I did some more testing with my DS4 pad not working and it turns out my Xbox pad also doesn't work with the game. It's recognising both of them as KB/M controls, and before anyone suggests messing around with Big Picture Mode's controller settings, using Input Mapper or DS4Windows they don't change a thing.

Just opened up several other Steam games and both controllers work flawlessly without any external programs or any extra tinkering with Big Picture Mode's controller settings, i'm out of solutions at this point. Going to try a fresh install and see if that works, if not then i'm swamped.

Both controllers are wired by the way so their is no bluetooth interference.

donno what to tell ya, i've been playing with a ds4 this whole time.
The game supports x-input so if you have the ds4 configuration enabled on Steam or using DS4 windows, idk what could be wrong. :/

Izuna

Banned
Making me consider getting a gaming PC at the end of the month.

My issue is that no matter what, I still have this horrible TN panel. Hrmmm

ezodagrom

People should check out Cannon Goose's 8xMSAA vs no MSAA 1440p comparison shots. Can barely notice a difference in them, and now it's been tested some ppAA was being used for the AO option it makes more sense.
I've posted these a few times too, but may as well post them in comparison form.

AA off / AO on compared to AA off / AO off:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/203877

AA off / AO on compared to AA 8x / AO on:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/203878

Possibly due to the lighting, in these shots AA8x actually looks worse when looking at the stairs and the fence.

Durante

Every game should have SMAA or some variant in 2017.
The game has post-processing AA, and an implementation of it which is at least as good as SMAA.

Every game should have a non-postprocessing AA option, like this one. If not for now then for when I replay it using a GTX 1680.

Spoiler that picture, Durante :p
Ok, I don't think it spoils anything though -- if you know the context it's not a spoiler any more, and if you don't it doesn't tell you anything.

What is it with Platinum PC ports and having to always move the mouse cursor off of the screen
It disappears for me as soon as I use a controller button/stick.

aravuus

In-game seems to run reasonably smoothly at 60 fps (with dips now and then) but the cutscenes are a stuttery mess. Is this a common problem?

Yeah. If you have an Nvidia GPU, you can try setting the max pre-rendered frames to 4 in the Nvidia control panel and playing the game in fullscreen. Seems to have fixed it for some. Might introduce some input lag, however.

Durante

[...]
^^^ That's strange.
From those benchmark numbers I assume they are running 8xMSAA. Which is a bit silly. RAM results are strange.

Wish I could downsample but my game has the fullscreen bug and higher resolutions act funky using borderless windows.
You need to change your desktop resolution to the resolution you want to downsample from if you want to use downsampling in borderless windowed mode.

Durante

I honestly don't understand how can game that looks like this does, need hardware like this and be considered to be a good port.
1440p benchmarks are just... wow.
Go and run any other recent game with 8x MSAA and report back your findings.

I'll help you out, here is Deus Ex MD on a GTX 1070:
msaa-graph-720x720.png

UrbanRats

I honestly don't understand how can game that looks like this does, need hardware like this and be considered to be a good port.
1440p benchmarks are just... wow.
Port is OK, game itself isn't, basically.
Platinum engine has never been all that impressive, honestly.

I don't know, but with a 970 I'm a bit worried, I hope those bench are with msaa maxed out at 8x.

Durante

But why are you comparing any other game with this game?
I'm not comparing it to any particular game. You are free to choose any modern game with MSAA for comparison.
I'm saying that its performance with 8xMSAA is not unexpected.

Is MSAA demanding like that? I thought that SSAA is, not MSAA.
Please have a look at the chart I posted above.

MSAA in games with anything that isn't a classic forward renderer can be almost as expensive as SSAA.

NeoRaider

I'm not comparing it to any particular game. You are free to choose any modern game with MSAA for comparison.
Please have a look at the chart I posted above.

MSAA in games with anything that isn't a classic forward renderer can be almost as expensive as SSAA.

But i want to say that it doesn't look like a modern game to me.

Gbraga

yeah played through the desert area and so far my 1060 gtx (oc'ed) and i5-3570k on a SSD, win 7 runs this game pretty consistently at 1080p60, haven't gotten a single crash either, have the game maxed out with no MSAA, injected slight lumasharpen with reshade just to balance the small blur that comes with the game's post processed AA.

game is great!

Fantastic. Just ordered a 1060.

I'll drop shadows to medium just in case, don't wanna mess with OC yet.

Can it run Witcher 3 at 60fps? Don't care about max settings, but my 680 can't run it at 60 even on low, so I play on a mixture of highest to medium settings and lock it to 30fps. Don't care about hairworks either.

I'm seeing mixed results in benchmarks, but benchmarks always go with highest possible settings for a better comparison, they're not worried about finding the optimal settings for each card.

Mifec

Fantastic. Just ordered a 1060.

I'll drop shadows to medium just in case, don't wanna mess with OC yet.

Can it run Witcher 3 at 60fps? Don't care about max settings, but my 680 can't run it at 60 even on low, so I play on a mixture of highest to medium settings and lock it to 30fps. Don't care about hairworks either.

I'm seeing mixed results in benchmarks, but benchmarks always go with highest possible settings for a better comparison, they're not worried about finding the optimal settings for each card.

At 1080p? Yeah you'll be fine without hairworks and idk what else. Don't sacrifice HBAO+ though.

Durante

I want to say that it doesn't look like a modern game to me.
What it looks like to you doesn't matter, how the renderer works does. It couldn't do the kind of particle lighting effects it does with a forward renderer, and with a deferred renderer MSAA is really expensive. These are the facts.

Also, have you actually played it? Because it can look absolutely fantastic in battles.

By the way, here is DE:MD at 1080p from GameGPU, another game with MSAA and another game where they chose to benchmark it at 8xMSAA (and where subsequently the GAF thread exploded because people don't understand what that means):
dem_1920_11_2.png

NeoRaider

What it looks like to you doesn't matter, how the renderer works does. It couldn't do the kind of particle lighting effects it does with a forward renderer, and with a deferred renderer MSAA is really expensive. These are the facts.

Also, have you actually played it? Because it can look absolutely fantastic in battles.

By the way, here is DE:MD at 1080p from GameGPU, another game with MSAA and another game where they chose to benchmark it at 8xMSAA (and where subsequently the GAF thread exploded because people don't understand what that means):

I didn't. Still waiting for my key. And with 280x i am kinda worried.
I asked two gaffers with 290 and they only had good things to say. So i am hoping for the best.

drotahorror

But why are you comparing any other game with this game?
Is MSAA demanding like that? I thought that SSAA is, not MSAA.

Yes it's demanding. It's the second most demanding AA that I know of. It's a shame that we get it and then people complain about it (not you). I love when msaa is an option since it's usually so rare. I'm so sick of FXAA, TAA, SMAA, being the main options we get. With MSAA I don't have to downsample. With the other 3 methods I mentioned, I usually have to turn them off and downsample.

Without MSAA Nier:A runs much better? Even if it port of 60 fps console game?

Any game without MSAA runs better than with it. It's incredibly taxing. Reminds me a bit of Deus Ex Mankind Divided which also featured MSAA and people flipped their shit a bit.

Top Bottom