• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Dang

Tangent: Update on Fat Pack Sealed from last night

I Played against a bunch of Kaladesh and Aether Revolt decks...and only had one Shatter in the 9 packs I opened. I had plenty of removal otherwise (Throttle, Utter End, Arc Lightning, Suspension Field), decent late game bombs (Ponyback Brigade, Ankle Shanker, Avalanche Tusker and Surrak Dragonclaw) and Sorin, Solmn Visitor in for good measure...but the deck just couldn't pull together a win. Vehicles made combat really tricky with Tusker. When choosing a creature to block him the opponent would then crew a vehicle with it. In general, I just couldn't get wide enough. The other deck I played against was from RTR. That went much better aside from that my opponent literally top-decked Angel of Serenity in two games which absolutely destroyed my board.

Tons of fun was had, would do it again and wonder what it would be like if I focused on a wedge rather than doing 5 color good stuff (which I did have decent fixing for).

y2dvd

Actually at GP San Antonio, but only for the side events that they still haven't opened up. At the very least, I was able to trade away $150 worth of bulks and another $500 in cards I don't care for. If only I knew some places took foils. I ruined all of mines trying to deck out my proxies lol.

C8VoYj_XkAAFjAE.jpg

Perfection

EDIT: MaRo April Fools responses I liked:
Squirrel farm
Playables
Bicycles
Bolas' horn egg
Linked underworld
Removal
Tibalt
Sand
extremecolourtyphoon asked: So, are you SUPPOSED to be able to target yourself with Squirrel Farm?

No, you are not. We announced this many years ago.

==

d-e-i-o asked: I'm not sure if you have you have talked about it on your podcast, but is there a card you thought would really Take off and be big in the meta, and then no one used it?

I was shocked that Ha Cha Cha didn't take off. It dominated the FFL and lunchtime Hearts for months.

==

starch255 asked: If the new lands are called Bicycle lands, is it true that an opening hand of seven of them is a Tour de France?

It is.

==

mirapunk asked: What's in Bolas's horn egg?

A toy. It's why he's not allowed in the United States.

==

crushcastles23 asked: So, Amonkhet and Theros are linked by the multiversal underworld right?

Absolutely. Ravnica too. Remember, Mummy Venser.

==

gophilipbowles asked: I'm concerned that without removal to keep it in check, Jackal tribal may be too strong. Can you put my mind at ease by confirming that Amonkhet will include Jackalhaups?

Absolutely. We added to the set when the Jackal decks got too strong in the FFL.

==

titanite-crows asked: Will Tibalt appear in Hour of Devastation?

Yes. Hint: he's pretending to be a mummy in the first set.

==

lgosvse asked: What happens if you open a pack full of sand during a draft?

Take one scoop and pass it to the right. (Left if the second pack.)

Joe Molotov

Actually at GP San Antonio, but only for the side events that they still haven't opened up. At the very least, I was able to trade away $150 worth of bulks and another $500 in cards I don't care for. If only I knew some places took foils. I ruined all of mines trying to deck out my proxies lol.

I did the 10am Modern event. Went 2-2 with Skred that I built this morning at the event, after trading about $250 of Standard and EDH crap.

Kinda random but I just learned about this card:

108.jpg

I mean, nothing "crazy", but a neat effect even if it's kinda already what Green does. Anyway, picked some up to play around with.

y2dvd

I did the 10am Modern event. Went 2-2 with Skred that I built this morning at the event, after trading about $250 of Standard and EDH crap.

The event must be tough. Only one team out of all my friends that entered made it through to day 2.

I did the MM17 sealed event and went 3-0 and drew final round. 11 MM17 prize packs is actually pretty sweet. I went RB aggro. My synergy was pretty sweet with 3 Mortician Beetle, 2 Vampire Aristocrat, 2 Kathari Bomber, 3 Falkenrath Noble, Lilian, etc. Mortician Beetle does work in the right shell.

Team events are extraordinarily tough. In 1v1, even the best players in the world rarely boast better than 2/3 win rate. But in 3v3, the best team wins closer to 90%.

Let's make the new thread after the GP ends.

As for the thread title, I'm still at an impasse, since the pharaoh decks one and the pyramid scheme one have roughly the same number of votes over the past two rounds. Note that if we left it up to charlequin, he'd probably go with the first, since it's his title.

I could insert a pyramid scheme reference into the OP, while it would be harder to directly quote a song in that way, if that influences things.

Santiako

Let's make the new thread after the GP ends.

As for the thread title, I'm still at an impasse, since the pharaoh decks one and the pyramid scheme one have roughly the same number of votes over the past two rounds. Note that if we left it up to charlequin, he'd probably go with the first, since it's his title.

I could insert a pyramid scheme reference into the OP, while it would be harder to directly quote a song in that way, if that influences things.

I think it's better to keep to the the hiphop references for the sake of consistency.

Tunoku

I wanna go with decks with a pharaoh as well. I feel like the pyramid scheme joke is something not unique to our community.

Santiako

Pikula's team missed top 4 by 1 place :(

Top 4: Orange-Jansen-Prost, Turtenwald-Jensen-Duke, Ochoa-Severa-Baeckstrom and Fabiano-Kassis-Lundquist.

I just realized that Mom and Dad win the game on the spot with infinite mana in EDH.
PingShock P&K hold priority pingshock opponent.

The difficulty is just in acquiring infinite red mana. Colourless is as easy as rings of Brighthearth and basalt or grim monolith.
I'm brainstorming eggs right now. Junk Diver, Myr Retriever, Scrap Trawler + KCI shouldn't be too difficult to assemble. Foundry Inspector is another new piece to the puzzle.

Maybe put in Paradox Engine.

I just realized that Mom and Dad win the game on the spot with infinite mana in EDH.

Ping Pia hold priority ping opponent.

The difficulty is just in acquiring infinite red mana. Colourless is as easy as rings of Brighthearth and basalt or grim monolith.
I'm brainstorming eggs right now. Junk Diver, Myr Retriever, Scrap Trawler + KCI shouldn't be too difficult to assemble. Foundry Inspector is another new piece to the puzzle.

I don't get it. How does pinging Pia help? Don't you also need a way to make infinite artifacts?

Santiako

PingShock P&K hold priority pingshock opponent.

That's usually how Breya wins.

Never hurts to suck up to the boss.

I was really surprised when there appeared to be multiple matches going on during the finals, but then I remembered, "Oh right, Team Modern".

An-Det

That final game was crazy, after that whole match. Duke's team started out winning all three first games. The match continued to 1-1, they were on game 3 for all the marbles. Turn 1 Inquisition turn 2 Stony Silence, and the Affinity deck still managed to squeak out the win. So good.

Santiako

I missed the finals since I'm at work, but that sounds great. I'll watch it later. I love that there were so many straight up control decks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom