• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario 3D World is more "archaic" than Yooka-Laylee but nobody complained.

Soul_Pie

They're both archaic in their own ways, really. Both a bit stuck in the past with the references and the tropes as well. Mario regressed badly in terms of the range of movement and control given to the player, it actually feels quite sluggish at times. YL features the same problems that rare platformers started developing in the late nineties, I definitely admit I'm struggling to get through it.

andymcc

Banned
Well to be fair the last good Mario game was Sunshine so Yucka being better then what came after doesn't seem that big a challenge.

Admittedly though, Giant Bombs quick look made Yuka look pretty bad.

This thread is bringing out some of the weirdest opinions I've ever seen

PSFan

I can see and completely understand why people dislike it. It is as close to perfect as it could be considering what it was going for and all it's concessions were entirely justified, but it's still ridiculous how defensive some people get over it considering how somewhat limited it's appeal is to anyone who dislikes focused linear platforming.

Honest question, should I get Y-L if Banjo was just average to me? For reference, as far as 3D platformers go I like Marios, Rayman 2, Ape Escape and Sly.

Well, if you enjoyed Banjo at all, you will like Y-L. It's like a third game in the series, with a lot of stuff to find, quirky characters and the same kind of humor. A lot of people who worked on Banjo also worked on this game.

lupinko

A lot of critics just don't like the collectathon style of games. I don't see how it's out of date either, since it never had the chance the evolve. There's no modern equivalent. SM3DW is more of a traditional platformer, and critics like that style of games.

But those same critics gobble up the yearly Ubisoft collectathon style games though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, like, OP, you are saying that what should happened is that if say, 3D world got a 9 from some reviewers, then the score must be reduced to 8 or 7 by saying "this game is archaic!" before you're stop saying that it's unfair that Yooka-Laylee is being criticized for being archaic, yeah?

what

dude the levels are designed around the fixed camera. It's not the same thing as having a shitty finicky camera that doesn't know what the hell it's trying to do.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't played or seen much footage of Yooka-Laylee yet, but Mario 3D World is my favorite Mario game in a long time.

I need a Switch sequel after Oddysee.. Odesyee... um... Odyssee.. uh the new Mario game comes out.

NewGame

Banned
My experience with Yooka Laylee is not getting a WiiU version, asking for a Switch version and being given a Steam key with a note that said "too bad, so sad"

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My experience with Yooka Laylee is not getting a WiiU version, asking for a Switch version and being given a Steam key with a note that said "too bad, so sad"
So are we not getting a Switch version?

Because that would be the dumbest thing ever.

This game was made to be at home on a Nintendo system. And not a dead one.

"3D World is bad because it wasn't a true 3D Mario game" - okay, but it was at least new for a console Mario game, and what it DID try to be it more than excelled at. The game is flawless. You might not like the camera, but it was a design decision and it doesn't make it a bad game, the game is fine with the way the camera is.

Come on man, 3D World isn't flawless. The controls aren't perfect and neither is the camera, not even getting into issues with the difficulty curve etc. The camera clearly works better on a system like the 3DS. It's not terrible but it doesn't allow for the level of certainty you get in the 2D games.

That said, this sure is an interesting thread. People seen heavily invested in defending YL. Just accept that not all of the reviewers enjoyed the game that much. It's okay to love the game, but there are criticisms that don't seem unfounded.

Innovation isn't really the crux of the issue. There's a reason why the quite unique Mario Sunshine is often criticised while 3D World had great reviews.

D.Lo

God I hate that graph so much. Galaxy is part of the 64 series, c'mon Nintendo. Only 3D Land and 3D World are their own thing.
Nintendo is just flat out wrong in the chart.

At best it's a continuum, slowly morphing from full open world objective based levels of Mario 64 with 3D hub world to NSMB-style overworld plus straight courses. If they have to be broken out, 3D Land/World should be the ones on their own line, since they're NSMB made into belt scrollers.

royox

People in here seriously saying Mario 3D World has bad controls.

Y'all either never played the game or are just making shit up.

It's a 3D Mario that plays as a 2D Mario. For me (warning: opinion incoming) the controls felt toned down, "heavy" and unprecise. Add the 8 Directions stuff, total lack of analogic controls and that a LOT of times the camera doesn't help to tell where you exactly are on the Z (deep) axis. I don't give it a pass just "because it's Mario and it has to be 10/10 at all cost".

As I said yesterday, I enjoyed it with friends in MP but FOR ME (warning: opinion incoming) it was a BAD single player Mario experience mostly because of the horrible controls and the "almost isometric" camera.

Everything gets even worse if I play it just AFTER playing Galaxy..or even 64.

Blarg

Neo Member
I've never understood the "true" 3D Mario arguments. I can enjoy the 64/Sunshine style of games as well as the Galaxy series. What I cannot enjoy, is a game like 3D World with slow, constrained movement and lack of athletic platforming abilities. Gameplay is what makes Mario games fun to me, and 3D World was a huge step back in that area.

Vanadium

I might be one of the 3 people on GAF who didn't like SM3DW, but it is polished. Got to the end, but never beat it. Felt like a slog the whole way. Never liked the awkward camera. But Yooka-Laylee looks weak for a whole other set of reasons. lack of polish looks to be one of them.

Z..

It has a run button on a 3d Mario game. Maybe you like it but that was just ugh

It's a 3D game set to the rules of the old 2D games and the levels are (fantastically well) designed around that feature. You don't like it? Fair enough. Doesn't make it bad in any way.

Well, if you enjoyed Banjo at all, you will like Y-L. It's like a third game in the series, with a lot of stuff to find, quirky characters and the same kind of humor. A lot of people who worked on Banjo also worked on this game.
I really didn't enjoy it much though. Liked the personality (love Conker) but the uninteresting level design and average floaty gameplay didn't do it for me. Also, don't you mean fourth game in the series?

RagnarokX

I wouldn't say 3D World was archaic. In my opinion the collectathon style gameplay and level design emerged from the difficulty of creating a platformer in 3D due to the technology not being up to the task and the problems created for players by the addition of depth. Early 3D platformers became more adventure games than platformers with tasks revolving more around running around and collecting stuff than making tricky jumps. Over time Nintendo has been slowly moving 3D Mario in the direction of fully realizing platforming in 3D space, and 3D Land and 3D World were the purest realization of what they've been building towards.

Also, 3D World is an absolute juggernaut of content compared to previous Mario games.

ramparter

Banned

So are we not getting a Switch version?

Because that would be the dumbest thing ever.

This game was made to be at home on a Nintendo system. And not a dead one.
Good job spreading misinformation.

Of course we are getting a Switch version. NewGame probably didnt change his Wii U pledge in time and he was auto converted to Steam.

ffvorax

Some brands are hardly criticized, and if actually good, the bad things became invisible...

New brands are easier to criticize, people won't complain too much if you throw shit at them.

If a very bad mario game will come out, it will have at least an 80% as a vote... (New Super Mario Bros. 2 is an example it got 78 on metacritic, but it's really disappointing in my hopinion, any other brand would have got a 70 on the best.)

That said I didnt' played Yooka Laylee, so maybe the complains are correct true... :\

Celine

God I hate that graph so much. Galaxy is part of the 64 series, c'mon Nintendo. Only 3D Land and 3D World are their own thing.
I'm not sure what that graph refer to (can't read japanese) however I'm sure Galaxy began a progressive simplification process which culminated in the 3D Land/World games.

Zemm

Not that i think Mario 3D is getting away with anything but you can get away with a lot of things when the entire package is really good, that's just the way of the road. YL didn't get away with its problems because it's not a good game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Looks like someone's really hurt that his favorite game isn't well received, so he attempt to drag down a popular and great game along.

Zolbrod

I'm not sure what that graph refer to (can't read japanese) however I'm sure Galaxy began a progressive simplification process which culminated in the 3D Land/World games.

It splits the 3D Mario games up into "linear course style" and "sandbox-style" games.
Galaxy is kind of in the middle though, I guess...

And that's fine I'm not forcing you or anyone else to shred their copies of the game and throw it in the garbage. I do find it annoying how people try and write off mine (and others) opinions saying we are anti Nintendo. It's like... I've bought every console/handheld of theirs at launch since the GameCube forward. I'm a huge fan just wasn't a fan of much of their Wii u era output

You don't get to pull the "It's just, like, my opinion, maaaaaan" card after you claim reviewers would have given it a 5 or a 6 if "it didn't have the Mario name." The latter isn't simply an opinion, it's a claim that the game is of objectively low quality.

People in here seriously saying Mario 3D World has bad controls.

Y'all either never played the game or are just making shit up.

Hate those types of comments. Just respect other people's opinions and stop implying they never played the game. Because, mostly that isn't true at all, and these people just have a different opinion than you, even if these opinions sound horrible to you.

I'm still in the camp of the no true 3D Mario people. I enjoyed it, but certainly far, far less than the other 3D Mario games, so I'm happy they go back to the more open formular with NPCs and stuff found in the old games.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seriously, why would the Galaxy games be in the same grouping as the "3D" games?

Yes, SMG might be a bit more focused and linear than SM64, and SMS, but it still uses the same repeating level multiple times gameplay mechanic. That alone makes it closer to those two games than the 3D ones.

Greddleok

Yeah the camera does that. There's a bit against the first boss where I fell off a massive ledge a couple of times because of it. Another time, there's this huge jump into water that you'll land in with no damage if you get it right, but halfway down the jump the camera does a 180 for some reason - it means that when you're pushing down/up to land in the water, it suddenly turns into up/down. Lost 90% of my health because of it.

Holy shit, I thought that was just jump cuts from different sequences of the game. That's horrible.

RagnarokX

Seriously, why would the Galaxy games be in the same grouping as the "3D" games?

Yes, SMG might be a bit more focused and linear than SM64, and SMS, but it still uses the same repeating level multiple times gameplay mechanic. That alone makes it closer to those two games than the 3D ones.

It doesn't actually reuse the levels, though. Each mission loads a completely different linear level that at most will share a starting point. The gameplay and level design is more like 3D World, while the level select is like 64. Much like how SMW looks like SMW in Mario Maker but has NSMBU physics :p

D.Lo

Plus analogue movement, camera control, Stars as objectives instead of flagpoles...

Galaxy 1 even has a fully 3D hub world. And Sunshine had the no-fludd levels which were linear.

The chart is just pure nonsense. The Galaxies are slightly more like the NSMB/3D games than 64/Sunshine, but are much closer to 64/Sunshine than they are to 3D Land/World.

It doesn't actually reuse the levels, though. Each mission loads a completely different linear level that at most will share a starting point. The gameplay and level design is more like 3D World, while the level select is like 64. Much like how SMW looks like SMW in Mario Maker but has NSMBU physics :p
Flat out wrong. SOME stars do this, others do not. Mario 64 and Sunshine do it sometimes as well. In the majority of levels in Galaxy 1 you can get a star that wasn't the 'assigned' one at the start, Galaxy 2 has less of that but is still true in many cases.

RagnarokX

Flat out wrong. SOME stars do this, others do not. Mario 64 and Sunshine do it sometimes as well. In the majority of levels in Galaxy 1 you can get a star that wasn't the 'assigned' one at the start, Galaxy 2 has less of that but is still true in many cases.

No, most levels are linear, and some have a hidden star that usually involves a hungry luma and amounts to a fork in the path. You have to choose the correct mission to reach the path to the hidden star.

Sunshine also had it where stars were exclusive to missions due to changes in world layouts, but the big difference is in level design. No matter what Sunshine's levels were big open affairs. The vast majority of Galaxy's levels are linear, and the most open levels in the game are pretty small.

Yeah, that’s where the chart is coming from. Starting with Galaxy, folks at Nintendo were consciously aiming for something more immediately accessible, something with a lower 'skill floor' (note that this is not the same thing as a lower 'skill ceiling'), by way of a reduction/elimination of the challenge of managing/directing the camera, as well as a (related) reduction/elimination of the game element of ‘searching’ (i.e., exploration):

https://www.wired.com/2007/07/e3-interview-ni
Miyamoto: We’ve kind of had this idea for a long time, that we wanted to, from the very beginning, have [Mario Galaxy] be something that everyone can play. And the core idea, actually, in terms of the gravity and running around on different spheres, were things that we were experimenting with back when we were working on Mario 128, and the 100 Marios demo, immediately after Mario 64. A lot of it was ideas that we’ve had for a long time. The main advantage of playing on globes or spheres rather than a big open 3D space is that the camera becomes less of an issue, to always see what you’re doing. It’s much easier for people who have a hard time with 3D space to navigate...​

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-24-touring-the-world-with-miyamoto
"Super Mario 64 was a key turning point in the history of Super Mario," explains Miyamoto (before adding, with typical modesty: "It was a good game but we were not quite able to achieve something that was both fun and easy for both beginners and advanced players.") Miyamoto admits that the Super Mario Galaxy games, which tried to find a better balance for novice and expert, still skewed towards the latter kind of player. "But with Super Mario 3D Land we found the spirit of the original games which were easy for beginners [low skill floor] but allowed for advanced play [high skill ceiling]," he says, "all within the 3D environment."​

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/super-mario-3d-land/1/0
Koizumi: Early on [in the development of Super Mario 3D Land], we established the theme of making a 3D Super Mario game that would be close to 2D so that anyone could play. One big difference between 2D and 3D is the camera. We made adjustments as we went to the parallel-track camera we used in Super Mario Galaxy 2 so it would be easy to play

Iwata: A parallel-track camera moves in parallel to Mario at a set distance… Tezuka-san, you were in charge of 2D Super Mario games. The 3D Super Mario games have always been Miyamoto-san's sphere, while you were in a position slightly removed from them. What made you become actively involved this time? 

Tezuka: I never said much with regard to the 3D Super Mario games so far, but I sensed there were a lot of 2D Super Mario elements in this game, so I had things to say. I was like, "Let me chime in!" (laughs)…

Koizumi: Well…I thought, "At last, we motivated him!" (laughs) This time [with 3D Land], we were putting aside the game element we carried on since Super Mario 64 of searching [i.e., exploration] and were trying to reconstruct the game with the original Super Mario elements. I think perhaps that is why Tezuka-san couldn't help but feel as if it flowed like a 2D Super Mario game...​

casiopao

Now you lost me.

What's archaic about the level design?

3D World actually brought 2D Mario into 3D realm with tons of unique stage settings, from normal horizontal moving stage into Vertical focus. Some even played with 2D perspective and it had a huge number of difference focus every world.

While Y-L is still literally the same as the old Banjo. It still had both the pro and cons of old Banjo series where the platforming part is easy and the camera still screw around when they are doing things. When we already had galaxy and 64 teaching how 3D camera should work, they should upgrade that rather than just copy paste the whole old game design.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Super Mario Bros has flagpoles.
Super Mario Bros 3 has roulette square.
Super Mario World has a gate.

Guess they're all completely different games because we all know end level markers are what categorise a Mario game.

Nanashrew

Banned
Miyamoto explained what that Mario graph was during the Treehouse Switch stuff back in March and he talked about the camera and the differences between games like Mario 64/Sunshine and the Galaxy games through 3D World.

Axass

3D World definitely has many archaic design elements, however it does that archaic stuff to perfection. That's why people who just wanted a great game love it, and why people who wanted Mario to innovate and push the boundaries, like it always did, are unhappy about it.

Honestly, I stand in the middle: I very much appreciate the game, but it's not what I was looking for in 3D Mario, and I wouldn't rank it among my favourites.

Randomizer

Lol at all the salty 'Nintendo gets higher scores based on their name' people. The 3D Mario series has consistently been at the top of the 3D platforming genre from its very inception. Controls, mechanics, design and polish wise nobody compares. Some games have gotten close (B&K, Crash 2) but it's barely even a competition, considering how far Nintendo blows everyone out of the water.

Whilst 3D World may seem like a regression, it was a deliberate design decision to make simpler easy to understand controls for accessibility purposes. The mechanics may be limited in the amount of actions you can preform but they still allow for a lot of depth and high end speedrun play, especially when using moves such as the cat suit lunge attack etc. IMO the game actually has the most true platforming in a 3D game. In most other 3D platformers actual platforming took a back seat to large open areas. Whilst I do believe it is the closest in capturing the essence of the genre it is far from my favourite, Super Mario 64 and the Galaxy games hold that crown.

Top Bottom