• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Shock Troopers, an underappreciated Neo Geo Shooter (available on Switch)

Tizoc

AbxkaIY.jpg

I decided to replay this lovely shooter that released on the Neo Geo in 1997, developed by Saurus.
The game is available for play on PSP, Vita, Switch and PC (via Humble Bundle or Steam, I recommend getting it via Humble and dropping the game into an emulator).

It is a 2D Shooter but played from an overhead view, think Legend of Zelda AlltP, where you play as a group of mercenaries, soldiers, whatever, who go about blowing stuff up and dismembering enemy soldiers to stop Bipson's long lost brother who shares his fashion sense for shoulder pads, capes and blood red vests from taking over the world. I think.

The game has a very simple control scheme; mash the A button to fire your gun while you are moving and it will fire in the direction you are facing. Hold down A button, and you strafe but only fire in the direction you were facing before holding the A button.
Much like Metal SLug, if you are close to an enemy you will perform a melee attack to damage them instead; some just punch enemies, others attack with a knife.

The B button is used to perform a dodge roll which can be handy to help avoid getting hit by enemy bullets for one thing. C button will have you toss or fire your Bomb which is different for each of the 8 characters for the most part.

You can pick up special weapons as well such as stronger guns and even a short range flame thrower.

The game's visuals are really nice, and the sprites give off an SNES Final Fantasy vibe with their simplicity and design. The game should also get credit for featuring a black canadian woman as one of the playable characters, going by the codename Big Mama
Big%20Mama.png

I won't deny that one of my fav. stuff in the Metal Slug games are the death animations of enemies, and Shock Troopers have some interesting animations for enemy deaths; there is animation of them dying with their arm dismembered, or them dying from a wound where lots of blood gushes out. Big Mama's melee attack is a punch, and the game doesn't differentiate between the death animations so it's kinda cool that her punch is so strong it dismembers them.

If you own a Switch, you owe it to yourself to get this, esp. if you use your Switch for multiplayer games.

If there is one fault i have with the game, it's that I would've liked if there was a re-release that offered the option of using 2 Sticks for the controls and firing of the gun, but as is the game plays and runs fine.

If I ever got to make a list of 1,000 greatest video games of all time, this game would surley be in it.

Note that the 2nd game isn't as well regarded as the first by some, but I played it and quite enjoyed it.

Also on SNK Arcade Classics Collection Vol. 1 for PS2 and Wii and the home version is on the Wii Virtual Console. The sequel (which has its own art style and kind of different gameplay) is also on the Virtual Console.

Whoa, I was thinking about making one of these.

Just discovered Shock Troopers on Switch and it's fucking awesome. I'm still having fun getting better, been playing for many hours. Totally bad ass game.

BiggNife

Shock Troopers rules so hard and I always get mad when it gets completely overlooked as a NeoGeo classic

I'm glad it's on Switch and Steam now so more people can play it

If you like Metal Slug you owe it to yourself to play Shock Troopers

Savitar

For those playing on the Switch; does it offer the option to enable the 'Violence' which is the blood and all that or is that on by default?

I wonder if any artwork or game related artwork exists at all for ST1, as I can't find any anywhere online to look at at least @_@

There is a link in that article I linked, sadly it's via the wayback machine and most of the stuff is broken. There is two pieces of art of two characters.

Poetaster

Banned
For those playing on the Switch; does it offer the option to enable the 'Violence' which is the blood and all that or is that on by default?

I wonder if any artwork or game related artwork exists at all for ST1, as I can't find any anywhere online to look at at least @_@
It's not enabled by default but the option is available.

Shock Troopers, Out Zone, Fixeight, Kiki Kaikai, etc. take a massive dump on literally every twin stick shooter (as in those that have aiming and movement on independent controls) ever.

The sequel 2nd Squad is a little wonky and the big art style change is ehhhh, but not terrible.

The music in Shock Troopers is also great. Love some jungle in my video game soundtracks.

BiggNife

Shock Troopers, Out Zone, Fixeight, Kiki Kaikai, etc. take a massive dump on literally every twin stick shooter (as in those that have aiming and movement on independent controls) ever.

The sequel 2nd Squad is a little wonky and the big art style change is ehhhh, but not terrible.

The music in Shock Troopers is also great. Love some jungle in my video game soundtracks.

2nd Squad isn't awful but it's definitely a disappointment compared to the original

It's still fun enough to play through but it's a bummer that it has less characters and they got rid of Team Battle which was super cool

At least it has this, which is dope as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1mbGJbwobY

My dad and I played through this several times. It's easily the Neo Geo's most underrated game. Too bad the sequel was such a disappointment.

I wouldnt call it underappreciated or underrated, never seen it discussed as anything less than one of the best games for the system, which it is.

BiggNife

Why is Shock Troopers 2 generally considered a disappointment? Does it not play as well?

Few reasons:

1) The excellent sprite art of the original is replaced by digitzed CG art, which...hasn't really aged well.

gfs_46188_2_31_mid.jpg

2) 2nd Squad has considerably less playable characters than SS1, and there's no Team Battle so you can't hot-swap between characters like you could in the original. If you pick a character, that's it until you die.

3) It has a LOT of slowdown. Like Metal Slug 2 level slowdown.

Z..

My dad and I played through this several times. It's easily the Neo Geo's most underrated game. Too bad the sequel was such a disappointment.
One of it's most appreciated gems is the most underrated? Oo
Undercelebrated? Sure. Not underrated at all though.

Game is also available on PC, PS2, Wii, WiiU, PS3, PSP, Vita and PSTV, btw.

Glowsquid

Few reasons:

1) The excellent sprite art of the original is replaced by digitzed CG art, which...hasn't really aged well.

gfs_46188_2_31_mid.jpg

2) 2nd Squad has considerably less playable characters than SS1, and there's no Team Battle so you can't hot-swap between characters like you could in the original. If you pick a character, that's it until you die.

3) It has a LOT of slowdown. Like Metal Slug 2 level slowdown.

The biggest problem I had with 2nd squad is the changes done to health items: In the first game, health items were placed in fixed spots and you could also get them by knifing enemies. 2nd Squad had no pre-placed health items at all and they made health drops from knifing enemies way rarer so it's more tedious and frustrating

Top Bottom