• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else playing Botw and wish for trophies???

ViolentP

So I am against them because they do nothing and I think they ate into some cool stuff we used to get in the past.

The only game that IMO has a worthwhile platinum trophy is Bloodborne as you get something out of it. Don't know about any other examples.

If you and people that like them would advocate for a trohpy-reward system, even if it is like a stupid avatar pic, I would be all for trophies.

So would you?

I wouldn't as you are locking content behind challenges. This runs the risk of creating tedium. The optional nature of the trophy system allows it to be non-intrusive to those that don't care about said challenges.

And trophies actually do plenty for many users. Specifically, increasing the amount of content of a game you already enjoy. The introduction of the system never took anything away from gaming before their presence.

Hari Seldon

When I encountered the dude that wants to see how far you can glide I thought to myself that another lesser game would have made this a trophy and I would have obsessed over it and eventually gotten annoyed by it. Thank goodness this game doesn't have that shit.

Sure, if they could do a cool twist on trophies that would be interesting. It's just nice to have a system wide list that keeps track of all your in game achievements.

Then I'd be ALL over achievements, but in the current state I actively hate them for not doing more.

When I played Goldeneye back in the day and I beat the stage in 00 Agent doing all the things I got unlocks, a cheat or a character or something cool.

If Goldeneye had been released today you would get a trophy and they would sell you the cheats or maybe they wouldn't even exist at all. This is why I fight trophies.

I wouldn't as you are locking content behind challenges. This runs the risk of creating tedium. The optional nature of the trophy system allows it to be non-intrusive to those that don't care about said challenges.

And trophies actually do plenty for many users. Specifically, increasing the amount of content of a game you already enjoy. The introduction of the system never took anything away from gaming before their presence.

Things is they either took that content totally out or they are selling it to you. You are saying that having an empty pop up does plenty more than having an actual gameplay unlock like in the past. That makes no sense to me.

Kssio_Aug

It is valid because the majority of story in BotW is optional, just like achievements are optional. Ergo, a conscious decision to ignore the story doesn't mean that the voice acting contained within suddenly becomes better, no more than turning off the achievement system suddenly means that the effect the achievement system would have on the game experience as a whole if it were turned on doesn't exist. "It's optional!!!" is not perfect Yu-Gi-Oh trap card people keep insisting it is.

Yeah, but following that logic "playing the game" is entirely optional, you either play it or not. That's not the point. The thing is that voice acting, story, gameplay mechanics, everything is related to the game itself... all these things makes the final product. You could skip all the cut-scenes if you want, but you would be eliminating part of the experience the game was suppose to deliver.

Trophies or achievements don't affect the in-game experience. Everything the game has to offer remains intact if you ignore them... you will still ble able to fully experience the product.

Trophies / achievements are system related features linked to the game to offer you a fully optional incentive. It won't hurt your game even a bit if you don't like them and decide to ignore it.

Edit: I think a better comparison would be the record feature. Being able to record your gameplay is something pretty awesome and may affect yor gaming experience but from the outside. You may prefer buy this same game on a system where you can record the gameplay rather than in a system you won't be able to; so you can show your friends some nice stuff you did or found and / or post it in a gaming community. In the other hand you may think that this whole "recording" thing is useless and just decide not to use it at all... that said, you would not mind buying this game on that system that doesn't offer such option cause for you it won't affect a single bit of your in-game experience. Trophies work on a very similar manner... they're system related, and they may improve the experience of those interested in using it, but won't negatively affect in any way the experience of those who are not interested in it, since the game reamins untouched.

Yes, and no. While I wish Nintendo had some kind of achievement/trophy system going back to the Wii, at the same time, I'm largely over trophies. I enjoy them still to a degree, but definitely not at the fever pitch it once was back in the early 360/PS3 era.

That being said, if Nintendo ever did add them, I would probably get addicted all over again if I could earn them on Nintendo games.

ViolentP

Things is they either took that content totally out or they are selling it to you. You are saying that having an empty pop up does plenty more than having an actual gameplay unlock like in the past. That makes no sense to me.

If anything took content out of the game, it's DLC, not trophies. And the prize for completing a challenge isn't an empty popup, it's knowing that you completed the challenge. A prize isn't required for accomplishment, some of us do it solely for said challenge.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Wow - it's actually kind of impressive how vehement some posters in this thread are towards their disapproval of trophies and achievements

The only sensible counter-arguments I've seen are those fromNepenthe]/b] and break-fuss.

If trophies achievements truly didn't affect people in any sub-conscious manner, no one would argue for their existence.

However, anyone how seriously feels trophies or achievements would corrupt the purity of Zelda, they need to calm down.
That speaks like evangelical nonsense.

When I encountered the dude that wants to see how far you can glide I thought to myself that another lesser game would have made this a trophy and I would have obsessed over it and eventually gotten annoyed by it. Thank goodness this game doesn't have that shit.

I don't get caught-up on individual achievements like this and I have never specifically tried to get every game's achievements/platinum.

I do acknowledge that these people do exist and to me that is alright. I just think we need to realize achievements can work on a number of different levels and non of them really hurt others unless we are talking about simply defending Nintendo for lacking an achievement system and that deals with a whole different set of psychological issues that I don't want to touch.

Nepenthe

For those so opposed to achievements, if they were added would you stop buying Nintendo games and systems?

I'm not sure about everyone else, I can only speak for myself but I would buy significantly more 1st, 3rd and Indie games on my Switch if an achievement/trophy system was implemented.

As a person opposed to achievements being hamfisted into BotW, I wouldn't stop buying Nintendo games for the achievement system, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. I'd more than likely roll my eyes and groan, but I would deal, just like I deal with every other thing that less discerning gamers have insisted I have to deal with as the industry drifts away from catering to the experiences I like.

In general, I don't see why Nintendo has to kowtow to modern conventions for the sake of modern conventions. Good ideas should stand on their own, and no one has really provided any reason for why trophies are a necessity on par with something like certain UI/HUD conventions or a more stable online system. All I've heard is that they act as an arbitrary motivator for people to keep playing, which to me only really reads as they're forcing themselves to do unfun or shitty things that they just wouldn't do otherwise, which doesn't speak much to the quality of the games that achievements find themselves in.

I've also heard the memento/nostalgia argument, but that is supplanted with the ability to actually take screenshots and record things now. Or, you know, that thing called a memory, and the ability to share those memories with friends. There's a few BotW threads here that exist just for people to share funny, interesting, and heartwarming stories. Hell, I called my friend on the phone to tell her about the dog mechanic when I figured it out on my own. Are these things not valuable because they're contained to the subjectivity of memory? Are people actually psychologically reliant on all of their actions being mechanically logged to the second that they occurred to get any enjoyment out of them anymore?

Yeah, but following that logic "playing the game" is entirely optional, you either play it or not. That's not the point. The thing is that voice acting, story, gameplay mechanics, everything is related to the game itself... all these things makes the final product. You could skip all the cut-scenes if you want, but you would be eliminating part of the experience the game was suppose to deliver.

Trophies or achievements don't affect the in-game experience. Everything the game has to offer remains intact if you ignore them... you will still ble able to fully experience the product.

Trophies / achievements are system related features linked to the game to offer you a fully optional incentive. It won't hurt your game even a bit if you don't like them and decide to ignore it.

Wat??????

Trophies do affect the in-game experience because they are only activated by the shit you do in the game. The fact that they're coded on the hardware is a completely meaningless distinction in this discussion, especially when games can come with software-side achievement systems anyway. Hell, BotW awards you with a star on your profile when you beat Ganon. It's the same functionality!

This is also ignoring the fact that BotW itself was deliberately designed to have a high level of optional content in order to not force players to do anything they didn't want to. The whole point of the game is that, yes, you can leave a crapload of content alone and never see it, but still get an entertaining experience out of it because of the basic gameplay systems therein that govern even minimal engagement- climbing, battling, gathering, and physics. You make your own adventure.

BotW is only "supposed" to deliver what you want it to deliver, and while it's an extreme example of this principle, said principle also applies to optional content in every game. Otherwise the content isn't fucking optional.

Kssio_Aug

Wat??????

Trophies do affect the in-game experience because they are only activated by the shit you do in the game. The fact that they're coded on the hardware is a completely meaningless distinction in this discussion, especially when games can come with software-side achievement systems anyway. Hell, BotW awards you with a star on your profile when you beat Ganon. It's the same functionality!

This is also ignoring the fact that BotW itself was deliberately designed to have a high level of optional content in order to not force players to do anything they didn't want to. The whole point of the game is that, yes, you can leave a crapload of content alone and never see it, but still get an entertaining experience out of it because of the basic gameplay systems therein that govern even minimal engagement- climbing, battling, gathering, and physics. You make your own adventure.

BotW is only "supposed" to deliver what you want it to deliver, and while it's an extreme example of this principle, said principle also applies to optional content in every game. Otherwise the content isn't fucking optional.

I edited my post to try make it clearer, but I really think it's not hard to see the difference. Here comes what I edited.

I think a better comparison would be the record feature. Being able to record your gameplay is something pretty awesome and may affect yor gaming experience but from the outside.

You may prefer buy this same game on a system where you can record the gameplay rather than in a system you won't be able to; so you can show your friends some nice stuff you did or found and / or post it in a gaming community. In the other hand you may think that this whole "recording" thing is useless and just decide not to use it at all... that said, you would not mind buying this game on that system that doesn't offer such option cause for you it won't affect a single bit of your in-game experience.

Trophies work on a very similar manner... they're system related, and they may improve the experience of those interested in using it, but won't negatively affect in any way the experience of those who are not interested in it, since the game reamins untouched.

If anything took content out of the game, it's DLC, not trophies. And the prize for completing a challenge isn't an empty popup, it's knowing that you completed the challenge. A prize isn't required for accomplishment, some of us do it solely for said challenge.

And when did DLC and Trophies start? At the exact same time. I remember even hearing people get a bit riled up when the horse armor thing happened,but they just stopped caring and forgot that it was a thing back then and bought in.

Now when I grew up playing games I had no trophies, but had rewards for doing stuff.

The fact that people are now clamoring for trophies and don't even care or expect rewards other than empty text and a check mark just baffles me. It is all will always be two related things in my book.

You could at least advocate for reward for trophies so that people like me would buy in, but no you want those empty rewards.

fvng

And they started going away right at the time Trophies and DLC came in. I just don't get why people don't see it at all. They are not unrelated as they were similar aspects of the video game reward systems. I may be wrong in assigning ALL blame, I get it, but they are totally related.

They're unrelated because you can see where aesthetic bonuses went, they started being sold. It's not like they stopped existing and were replaced by trophies, they just started being sold. and the implementation of an achivement system was not done by publishers/developers, it was done by the platform creators. are you suggesting collusion?

ViolentP

And when did DLC and Trophies start? At the exact same time. I remember even hearing people get a bit riled up when the horse armor thing happened,but they just stopped caring and forgot that it was a thing back then and bought in.

Now when I grew up playing games I had no trophies, but had rewards for doing stuff.

The fact that people are now clamoring for trophies and don't even care or expect rewards other than empty text and a check mark just baffles me. It is all will always be two related things in my book.

You could at least advocate for reward for trophies so that people like me would buy in, but no you want those empty rewards.

You seem to think that the inclusion of trophies has somehow robbed you of something. Show me some actual evidence of that being the case and perhaps I will understand your need for a prize a bit more. But until that point, I will not feel bad that you don't like something that doesn't affect you.

jstripes

Banned

Trophies do no increase a game's content. They just make you do menial things over and over again. It's mindless obsessive-compulsive padding, just like collectathons.

Fisty

Ah so it's the "back in my day" argument

Yeah nobody cares. Have a Simpson's meme, you've earned it.

888.jpg

Brine

Trophies do no increase a game's content. They just make you do menial things over and over again. It's mindless obsessive-compulsive padding, just like collectathons.

#NotAllTrophies

and then again you can just turn them off. People who don't want trophies can easily not have them. People who want trophies can have them. Why can't they both exist at the same time? Why is it for Zelda that people are so opposed to them when even if they existed they can be easily ignored and turned off as if they didn't exist in the first place? It would be the same as not having​ it at all.

Nepenthe

Not if they're turned off.

And we get back to my original point that the effect of achievements when on has nothing to do with the fact that you can turn them off. It is disingenuous to ignore any potential flaw with any game's features by telling people to turn them off.

I edited my post to try make it clearer, but I really think it's not hard to see the difference. Here comes what I edited.

I think a better comparison would be the record feature. Being able to record your gameplay is something pretty awesome and may affect yor gaming experience but from the outside.

You may prefer buy this same game on a system where you can record the gameplay rather than in a system you won't be able to; so you can show your friends some nice stuff you did or found and / or post it in a gaming community. In the other hand you may think that this whole "recording" thing is useless and just decide not to use it at all... that said, you would not mind buying this game on that system that doesn't offer such option cause for you it won't affect a single bit of your in-game experience.

Trophies work on a very similar manner... they're system related, and they may improve the experience of those interested in using it, but won't negatively affect in any way the experience of those who are not interested in it, since the game reamins untouched.

I still don't get the distinction.

For one, recording and taking screenshots has the benefit of not being tied to binary tasks like achievements are. You can record literally any moment at any time, and thus you can make a personalized log or diary. An achievement is only activated when you satisfy a certain condition that is universal to everyone with that game and system. Outside of the difficulty of some achievements, there is far less that's unique and distinct about earning achievements than there is the freedom of recording something.

These features also usually don't require that I go out of my way to deactivate them else they suddenly pause the game and make me record some shit or something because I either happened across something by chance or I did a main gameplay task as instructed.

Regardless, none of this has to do with the fact that the existence of recording features also has an observable effect on the gameplay experience in that it makes people aware that they can archive their gameplay experiences in that specific way, and thus they're more likely to use them, share videos on various outlets, or do silly things, which in turn can have even greater effects; mayhaps you end up in a YouTube compilation or something, or perhaps you see something that makes you want to try it out. Whatever. The point is, we know that something existing within your conscious observation is more than likely gonna make you think about.

Ultimately, the various environment that gaming features exist in- as one feature among many, features that exist a game that is borne of a cultural context of all of the games that came before it, a game that exists within the technical architecture a game is played on, and the subsequent gaming community at large- all of these things impart a context onto game features to the point that their very existence invites people to interact with them, even if that interaction amounts to avoidance. Again, if this were inherently untrue, that a feature literally had absolutely no psychological effect whatsoever, it just simply wouldn't exist. I would wager it could not exist. This is basic McLuhen, "the medium is the message" kind of shit. Nothing in gaming exists in a vacuum and its disingenuous to pretend anything does.

ViolentP

Trophies are not created equal. They are designed and just like all design, some are better than others. So if you were to see my trophy list, I think 80% of my games are below a 25% completed threshold. But in that list, you will see a few 100%. That is nothing more than an indication of my personal enjoyment of the title. The rest is easily forgotten.

And while you are correct that trophies do not in fact add content, in the cases of those 100s, it increased the value of my purchase as it motivated me to seek out content that I missed during my natural playthrough.

Probably worth noting also that I don't actively chase trophies as I play. They are primarily an accompaniment to the game I've already completed.

Fisty

Did you read the thread? Plenty of people care. Don't be a jerk.

Nobody cares that this guy wants gaming to be exactly the way it was back when he was growing up. I guess we can throw online play, indies, digital distribution, etc all out the window too because "back in my day consoles had hand cranks and cartridges cost $90"

And we get back to my original point that the effect of achievements when on has nothing to do with the fact that you can turn them off. It is disingenuous to ignore any potential flaw with any game's features by telling people to turn them off.
Youre going to have to explain it to me again, cause I just I don't understand your point. Like the only thing I've seen people say against achievements in here are: they're distracting, they're immersion breaking, they're tedious, menial, etc. If it's all of these things for people and the simple solution here is to turn them off, what is the problem again? Like is being railed against exactly? Why do people care so much about how other people want to play the game?

Camwi

I feel that with all of Nintendo's games. It sucks that they decided not to join in with Microsoft and Sony on this, as I do enjoy working towards trophies on games I enjoy.

EDIT - It never ceases to amuse me how some people pretend to have such a passionate hatred over something like this.

Nepenthe

Nobody cares that this guy wants gaming to be exactly the way it was back when he was growing up. I guess we can throw online play, indies, digital distribution, etc all out the window too because "back in my day consoles had hand cranks and cartridges cost $90"

I care to a degree because I don't find it admirable or welcome that people who have made it clear that they rely on a deliberately coded system of Pavlovian conditioning tomanage playing a video game anymore wish to impart their psychological addiction on everyone else in every single game, even games that made a deliberate decision to eschew modern gaming conventions within reason as an artistic choice.

Youre going to have to explain it to me again, cause I just I don't understand your point. Like the only thing I've seen people say against achievements in here are: they're distracting, they're immersion breaking, they're tedious, menial, etc. If it's all of these things for people and the simple solution here is to turn them off, what is the problem again? Like is being railed against exactly? Why do people care so much about how other people want to play the game?

What is there to understand?

Does bad voice acting become good if you skip the cut scenes?

Does bad music become good if you turn down the volume?

Does a badly-balanced weapon become well-balanced if you choose to ignore it?

Do bad graphics become better if you can just play them on a shittier screen?

If the answer to any of these is no, then why in the blue blazes do people who are for achievements keep brushing people off who are pointing out their flaws because they can be ignored? Why don't you want a better system? Why don't you want better achievements? Why does it seem like you want shit in a game that people are describing as 'distracting, immersion-breaking, tedious, and menial?" You're not even arguing that they aren't any of these things at this point or that any specific achievements are really, really, really well done, that they have inherent merit. You're basically admitting, "Yeah, they're crap, but I like them and they can be turned off, so it's fine that they're crap."

Demand better of game companies and yourselves. Treat Yo Self.

Dsyndrome

Other questions I have is why do people feel obligated to experience everything in a game? If you want to just play through to the credits and never pick the game up again, that's fine, so long as you enjoyed yourself. If you feel that this isn't a valuable experience and you want to see more or find out more, why isn't the curiosity in and of itself enough of a motivator to keep you playing?

In short, why do people rely achievements to partake in more than the bare minimum? It almost sounds like modern gameplay conventions in and of themselves have become torturous and people need to justify the sunk cost somehow.

Again, why do you feel the need to question how people experience a game? So they want to 100%. Why do their motivations matter fuckall to you? You're arguing constantly in this thread that because you don't like something it shouldn't exist, despite there being a method to disable this thing you hate so much.

Kssio_Aug

I care to a degree because I don't find it admirable or welcome that people who have made it clear that they rely on a deliberately coded system of Pavlovian conditioning tomanage playing a video game anymore wish to impart their psychological addiction on everyone else in every single game, even games that made a deliberate decision to eschew modern gaming conventions within reason as an artistic choice.

But no one wish to "impart psychological addiction" to anyone here. Even on platforms that offers achivements (which are pretty much all the big ones except for Nintendo) no one should feel obliged to use the system, since if you ignore it, it won't affect your game at all. Actually, I know plenty of people that plays on XB1 / PS4 / Steam that never hunted for a single trophy and that never felt coerced to use it.

ViolentP

I feel that with all of Nintendo's games. It sucks that they decided not to join in with Microsoft and Sony on this, as I do enjoy working towards trophies on games I enjoy.

EDIT - It never ceases to amuse me how some people pretend to have such a passionate hatred over something like this.

I've never heard anyone complain that Super Mario 64 can be beat with 70 stars, but there is an additional 50 stars to collect. I suppose that's because there wasn't a prompt notifying you that you collected them all. Seems an arbitrary distinction.

hank_tree

I don't need trophies/achievements but I wouldn't have minded some unique gear tied to progression or something.

Basically I want a reason to keep playing, and getting some more breakable weapons isn't a huge motivator.

Ah so it's the "back in my day" argument

Yeah nobody cares. Have a Simpson's meme, you've earned it.

888.jpg

So you are actually saying I am out of touch because I don't want to pay something that was given to us because of our "achievements" in the past?

Then yeah 100% out of touch.

You seem to think that the inclusion of trophies has somehow robbed you of something. Show me some actual evidence of that being the case and perhaps I will understand your need for a prize a bit more. But until that point, I will not feel bad that you don't like something that doesn't affect you.

RESIDENT EVIL 2.

That game had so much cool stuff to unlock. I bet when the remake comes out you will get an achievement* for doing all that same stuff that unlocked the stuff previously and make you pay for it, if its included at all as with all Capcom game from recent memory.

If that is not an example that would at least make you care enough to advocate for small rewards for unlocking trophies so I would buy into them like you guys, then I don't know man, and I am not even asking for that much just something.

Movies may not give trophies, but I still keep metadata on the movies I watch, because I catalog literally everything I consume ^^

While not the same, I set my own goals into consumption and checklists so that helps. And while the same could be done for games, games are inherently more interactive, therefore I'd want my internal metrics to be cataloged by the system!

I do also keep a catalog of what I've beaten through the entire year, but trophies aren't really that, even if they do serve that purpose somewhat

Mihos

Gold Member
If the answer to any of these is no, then why in the blue blazes do people who are for achievements keep brushing people off who are pointing out their flaws because they can be ignored? Why don't you want a better system? Why don't you want better achievements? Why does it seem like you want shit in a game that people are describing as 'distracting, immersion-breaking, tedious, and menial?" You're not even arguing that they aren't any of these things at this point or that any specific achievements are really, really, really well done, that they have inherent merit. You're basically admitting, "Yeah, they're crap, but I like them and they can be turned off, so it's fine that they're crap."

Honestly, it is because we want them and don't care what you think.

Same way you don't want them and don't care what we think.

I have every system, and lack of an achievement system is just one of the bullet points as to why I will never buy the switch version of a 3rd party game.

Nepenthe

Again, why do you feel the need to question how people experience a game?

Because it's a discussion.

So they want to 100%. Why do their motivations matter fuckall to you?

A person wanting to 100% a game is fine with me.

A person wanting to put something in a specific game I don't believe needs it by design in order to work up the wherewithal to achieve 100% matters because it's a suggestion that- if implemented- would affect my experience with the game.

You're arguing constantly in this thread that because you don't like something it shouldn't exist, despite there being a method to disable this thing you hate so much.

I'm sorry it hurts your feelings that I don't want your optional bullshit in Breath of the Wild. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But no one wish to "impart psychological addiction" to anyone here. Even on platforms that offers achivements (which are pretty much all the big ones except for Nintendo) no one should feel obliged to use the system, since if you ignore it, it won't affect your game at all. Actually, I know plenty of people that plays on XB1 / PS4 / Steam that never hunted for a single trophy.

The point of this thread is to argue about whether or not BotW needed an achievement system. Since we know that the consoles its on don't have the architecture (yet; maybe they'll do something on the Switch later), the only way to have imparted this would've been to code it in the game, which undermines your distinction and subsequently the whole discussion between hardware and software-side achievements at this point in time anyway.

Regardless, even then if it could be ignored and the player could make a conscious decision not to earn any that were optional, my larger point is that BotW was deliberately designed partly as a callback to a game where achievement systems didn't exist, and it exists as a game that eschews modern guidance and sensibilities in order to impart feelings of self-reliance and self-determination onto the player. Thus, my argument is that the very existence of even a fully optional achievement system- a system that is designed to egg you on to do things you probably otherwise wouldn't do without that influence- would do absolutely nothing to enhance the game as it was intentionally designed, and in fact would artistically be detrimental to it because it would inherently betray the point. That's personally why I don't want to see achievements in Breath of the Wild, which ultimately has nothing to do with my opinion on achievements as a whole (which, if you know, is that I don't really care for them). I think that's a salient argument.

Honestly, it is because we want them and don't care what you think.

Lol, the edge. Clearly you all do care a big bunch because the unearned persecution complex of those that are pro-achievement is strong in this thread. Thousands of games with achievements but you all feel some type of way that Breath of the Wild doesn't have any.

Regardless, if you don't care that your achievements might be bad, then, well, I mean...get better standards? If I'm gonna be stuck with achievements in most gaming environments for the foreseeable future, the least people could do is advocate for better implementation.

Qwark

RESIDENT EVIL 2.

That game had so much cool stuff to unlock. I bet when the remake comes out you will get an achievement* for doing all that same stuff that unlocked the stuff previously and make you pay for it, if its included at all as with all Capcom game from recent memory.

If that is not an example that would at least make you care enough to advocate for small rewards for unlocking trophies so I would buy into them like you guys, then I don't know man, and I am not even asking for that much just something.

Lol, your evidence is a game that's not even out yet. I'm willing to hear your point out, but come on, you have to have a good example at least.

Kssio_Aug

So you are actually saying I am out of touch because I don't want to pay something that was given to us because of our "achievements" in the past?

Then yeah 100% out of touch.

I still think you're mixing unrelated things. Not totally unrelated actually (I understand what you're implying) but still unrelated.

But as I said before the industry changed as a whole. DLCs and achievements happened to come with these changes, and they're probably related to the same "core" but other than that they not affect each other. If we decide to not care for achievements anymore and that cease to exist, this act, by itself, won't affect DLCs existance.

Together with these changes came lot's of good things though. It came a much better player integration with the system with cross chat and easy connection, and also the auto record feature. I'm thankful that we have it all today, which we didn't in the past.

And I think that trophies / achivements are in the good side of the features that came with these changes. Actually, even the DLC could be when you understand that there are good DLC and bad DLC.

Lol, your evidence is a game that's not even out yet. I'm willing to hear your point out, but come on, you have to have a good example at least.

Then I am out...It is sad IMO there is not winning with you guys.

My take from this thread is that you would go out of your way to stop simple rewards on achievements/trophies so that more people would buy into them just because you think they have enough value already adn want to prove a point.

And I'll eat a hat if when RE2 comes out what I described is not exactly the same. I will be surprised if they give out all that content for free as unlocks.

fvng

I have yet to see any anti-trophy argument that didn't boil down to "i dont see the point in this and i dont enjoy them, thus they should not exist"

this reminds me of the arguments for and against game modding. dont like mods? dont install them. similarly you can ignore the existence of trophies, period. this is such a non issue, and if BOTW theoretically had trophies, it would not impact your experience if you chose not to pursue getting them.

I thought Breath of the Wild was most fun when I wasn't trying to get everything or finish anything, and I was just wandering.

It's fun to wander the world and stumble across shrines or korok seeds or new armor or whatever. But it's not fun to go track down every last shrine, or find every last seed, or grind every armor upgrade. When you do that, the game becomes dull and samey.

For that reason, I'm glad there aren't extra incentives to complete things.

Zakalwe

Banned

Sorry mate, but plenty of people do agree with him. As much as this pains you.

ViolentP

RESIDENT EVIL 2.

I am certainly not advocating the removal of progression unlocks. I believe that trophies are an effective delivery system for them but that system is absent in lieu of straight up purchasing of DLC. I definitely do not agree with this method, but I don't think trophies are the problem here.

And I personally do not have issue with unlocking through trophies. The only reason I lean towards no unlocks is because it turns trophies from an option, to a content lock and that is going to piss a lot of people off.

My ideal scenario, in-game progress unlocks, completely separate and entirely optional trophy system, and no DLC.

Dsyndrome

I'm sorry it hurts your feelings that I don't want your optional bullshit in Breath of the Wild. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regardless, if you don't care that your achievements might be bad, then, well, I mean...get better standards?
The level of condescension in your posts is disgusting, done talking with you.

Fisty

Lol wait so people who like trophies are pushers now? Pavlovian conditioning? We are forcing this stuff upon innocent pure gamers who enjoy games the right way?

Seriously, this is ridiculous. They are designed by people that make the games so you see everything they have spent years working on and spend more time with the game. Not all trophies are created equal: at best they are a great addition and can lead to some memorable moments, at worst they are something you can completely ignore and never have to deal with. I just can't picture in my head the guy sitting there, sweating profusely while going through Horizon Zero Dawn trying so hard to fight the irresistible urge to look at a goddamn trophy list. This isn't mobile gaming where ads are shoved in your face and games are tuned to get you to spend insane amounts of money or time on the game to increase revenue. A pub or dev gets absolutely nothing extra if you spend the time collecting the gold film reels in LA Noire, other than the fact that someone explored the city and appreciated all the hard work that went in to those environments.

I think it's fine if you want to get more out of a game. I have a friend that loves going trophy huntind and I understand him. If I love a game I like that Platinum showing that I truly did all of it. It's not necessary and I certainly do not miss it (nor do I care in any other platform that isn't a Playstation), but it's alright.

What I do not get is "what's even the point of playing without it". I do not want to... um... "game shame" some people for the reasons they play video games... but this is just absurd to me in a whole new level. It makes me feel kinda sad, makes the whole medium feel terribly immature when we can't just experience something for the experience itself

Kssio_Aug

The point of this thread is to argue about whether or not BotW needed an achievement system. Since we know that the consoles its own doesn't have the architecture (yet; maybe they'll do something on the Switch later), the only way to have imparted this would've been to code it in the game, which undermines your distinction and subsequently the whole discussion between hardware and software-side achievements at this point in time anyway.

Regardless, even then if it could be ignored in that the player could make a conscious decision not to earn any that were optional, my larger point is that BotW was deliberately designed partly as a callback to a game where achievement systems didn't exist, and as a game that eschews modern guidance and sensibilities in order to impart feelings of self-reliance and self-determination onto the player. Thus, my argument is that the very existence of an optional achievement system- a system that is designed to egg you on to do things you probably otherwise wouldn't do- would do absolutely nothing to enhance this particular game as it was intentionally designed, and in fact would artistically be detrimental to it because it would inherently betray the point. That's personally why I don't want to see achievements in Breath of the Wild, which has nothing to do with my opinion on achievements as a whole (which, if you know, is that I don't really care for them). I think that's a salient argument.

Actually it doesn't sounds to me that people are trying to say that BotW needs trophies or achievements. People are saying that it would not hurt to have and would be a good idea. At the contrary actually... people who doesn't like trophies that are trying to push their opinion as a fact that trophies would hurt the game, without even providing evidence.

And the fact that Switch can't do it in the system changes pretty much nothing what I tried to say. If they added this feature in the game (which I don't think they would anyway) as a trophy list, that would still work in the same way. But the thread kind of devolved to that discussion that Nintendo should actually add it as a whole in their Switch system.

And yet, I think I understand your justification but I strongly disagree. If you have a feature that can be 100% ignored, running in background, not affecting the game you play, you shouldn't bother. And if just the simply existence of such a feature (again, totally, fully, completely optional and ignorable) still bothers the player, I think he is the one with the biggest psychological issue instead the trophy addicteds.

I am certainly not advocating the removal of progression unlocks. I believe that trophies are an effective delivery system for them but that system is absent in lieu of straight up purchasing of DLC. I definitely do not agree with this method, but I don't think trophies are the problem here.

And I personally do not have issue with unlocking through trophies. The only reason I lean towards no unlocks is because it turns trophies from an option, to a content lock and that is going to piss a lot of people off.

My ideal scenario, in-game progress unlocks, completely separate and entirely optional trophy system, and no DLC.

Hey I was all ok with trophies until I got my Bloodborne platinum and got something out of it. That made me do a 180 on them because, why did Bloodborne rewards me for beating it fully, but no other game? And it would add a lot to people's bragging rights if they had that avatar or theme for achieving that.

I totally get the pissing off the people, but I want similar stuff to what those few game do for platinum at least and that is all I ask. That is all it takes to make me and I guess a few other to buy in.

I have yet to see any anti-trophy argument that didn't boil down to "i dont see the point in this and i dont enjoy them, thus they should not exist"

this reminds me of the arguments for and against game modding. dont like mods? dont install them. similarly you can ignore the existence of trophies, period. this is such a non issue, and if BOTW theoretically had trophies, it would not impact your experience if you chose not to pursue getting them.

In every case I can think of, achievements/trophies are on by default, and thus will color the experience of 90% of players. Game developers should have the ability to choose whether they think achievements are a good fit for a particular game.

(And yes, some Nintendo games have achievements—Smash Brothers for instance)

Actually it doesn't sounds to me that people are trying to say that BotW needs trophies or achievements. People are saying that it would not hurt to have and would be a good idea.

A lot of people are straight up saiying they are not playing it/getting a switch because it does not have trophies

Trophies are on by default, and thus will color the experience of the 90% of players. Game developers should have the ability to choose whether they think achievements are a good fit for a particular game.

(And yes, some Nintendo games have achievements—Smash Brothers for instance)

The best solution to this was Yoko Taro making them buyable in Nier:Automata. I'd wager that he as a designer do not like them either. Sometimes it's a poor excuse to increase the longevity of a game when the developers could be doing something more substantial than that

What is there to understand?

You're basically admitting, "Yeah, they're crap, but I like them and they can be turned off, so it's fine that they're crap."[/B]

Demand better of game companies and yourselves. Treat Yo Self.
I'm trying to understand why it's so hard for you to believe people like the system the way it is and why it is so difficult for you to just turn them off if you hate them so much. I'm not interested in changing something I don't have a problem with so your comparisons just fall flat for me.

I have done no such thing, that's just you putting words in my mouth. They're is no point in trying to convince people that are so hard headed that that they think all of these things are so bad on top of purposely ignoring the fact that you can turn it off.

Puhleez, why don't you just grow up and accept that people like things differently from you?

Top Bottom