• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InfoWars Alex Jones loses custody case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes spoken about it publicly plenty. Don't tell me what the fuck is my business and what isn't

Its nice you have a soft spot for a lunatic that almost got innocent people shot at a pizza place tho.

"When they go low, we go high" has turned from a sweet idea to fucking poison. Now everything is about moral superiority gained by coddling and being nice to bigots, Nazis, sexists, sexual assaulters and dangerous, unrepentant conspiracy nuts like Alex Jones; people that have stomped on their own empathy and now we're expected to give it to people that don't deserve it because otherwise "we'll be mean" or "just as bad as them". Give me a break.

tenor.gif
Honestly, it's a weird precedent to set in almost any other case; "this person acts so weird on TV, let's take away their kids!"

But in the case of Alex Jones, I mean... Just look at him.

"When they go low, we go high" has turned from a sweet idea to fucking poison. Now everything is about moral superiority gained by coddling and being nice to bigots, Nazis, sexists, sexual assaulters and dangerous, unrepentant conspiracy nuts like Alex Jones; people that have stomped on their own empathy and now we're expected to give it to people that don't deserve it because otherwise "we'll be mean" or "just as bad as them". Give me a break.

Yeah, it's a common tactic bullies use.

"Oh his parents said to be nice so we're just going to be even worse to him."

Lois_Lane

Honestly, it's a weird precedent to set in almost any other case; "this person acts so weird on TV, let's take away their kids!"

But in the case of Alex Jones, I mean... Just look at him.

The judge excluded video clips from his crazy ass show. Man couldn't act sane for the x hours needed to keep his kids.

Yeah, the mantra was fine at first until we realized there are a lot fewer "we" and a lot more "they" than we thought.

Again people, I'm not defending Alex Jones. I've never listened to Alex Jones. I'm not saying the judge made the wrong decision even. I'm saying it's mean-spirited to celebrate said decision.

I don't think a private matter is on limits for public ridicule, even if the same person used his position to adversely affect private citizens lives in the past. Be better than them.

See above

I understand I'm the only person not typing "HOORAY" and "fuck him" and that make me an easy target, but please resist the dogpile instincts.
Alex Jones should not have custody of his children. He's a toxic man that's completely unfit to raise kids. This story is 100% good news, people celebrating are happy that a scum bag lunatic that peddles conspiracies theories, aka somebody who in your own god damn words is "not mentally well", will not be allowed to damage their lives further.

The judge excluded video clips from his crazy ass show. Man couldn't act sane for the x hours needed to keep his kids.

I'm sure the jury knew who they were dealing with. They weren't sequestered like the OJ trial or something. But yeah, the stories of the wife's lawyer getting him to blow up on the stand?

Did you even read up on this case?
lol what am I missing, breh?

Again people, I'm not defending Alex Jones. I've never listened to Alex Jones. I'm not saying the judge made the wrong decision even. I'm saying it's mean-spirited to celebrate said decision.

I don't care. I know several people, good friends once, who could have been something, and got swindled by Alex Jone's shithouse ideologies and conspiracies because they appealed directly to their insecurities. Alex Jones is one of the most damaging public personas in America, far as I can tell. Howard Stern is not close to an appropriate comparison. I don't feel bad about embracing schadenfreude when it relates to an avatar of hatred and unbridled stupidity like Alex Jones, especially when I've seen his shit warp the lives of people close to me, first-hand.
Moreover, though you know my reaction stems from a visceral dislike of the man, you can bet your ass that those kids are going to be better off for it, and anyone with half a brain familiar with Alex Jone's nonsense beyond "gay frogs" and the crisis actor bullshit knows that shit.

"Being weird on TV" is a terribly reductive summary of Alex Jone's MO.

Agreed. He's an unhinged dangerous cult leader in essence who spreads hateful, bigoted and horrid rhetoric for the sake of money, fame and his ego. But too many people reduce his show to "fooling around" or "being weird/wacky" or being a "shockjock". It's bullshit.

That's not the reason why he lost the case but OK.

Being "weird" on TV isn't what got his kids taken away. It was being unhinged in private as much as public.

If you really think it didn't play a part, particularly when the wife's side actively put Jones on the defensive about it, on the stand, then, well, okay. In the closing arguments, the wife's lawyer referred to Jones as a "cult leader," and a ”violent, cruel, and abusive man who engages in hate speech at home and in public," and they played clips of him being intoxicated on the air.

If you really think it didn't play a part, particularly when the wife's side actively put Jones on the defensive about it, on the stand, then, well, okay. In the closing arguments, the wife's lawyer referred to Jones as a "cult leader," and a “violent, cruel, and abusive man who engages in hate speech at home and in public,” and they played clips of him being intoxicated on the air.

Not that it didn't play a part, but there's no precedent to set here. The dumb shit he said on air was the same kind of dumb he did in real life, with no one recording. Plenty of good actors who "act weird" on TV but we don't legitimately think they're dangerous to their own children.

Poutine

Banned
He has 50/50 joint custody over their 3 children. Its what he has wanted since they filed for divorce almost 3 years ago.

His ex had to get some (mental?) treatment which slowed down the court proceedings over that time.

Seems like a win to me. It just took some time is all.

III-V

If you really think it didn't play a part, particularly when the wife's side actively put Jones on the defensive about it, on the stand, then, well, okay. In the closing arguments, the wife's lawyer referred to Jones as a "cult leader," and a “violent, cruel, and abusive man who engages in hate speech at home and in public,” and they played clips of him being intoxicated on the air.

THIS is why, not 'being weird'.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Since he's obsessed with the New World Order, someone should call into his show and tell him that Hogan, Hall and Nash haven't had that booking power since WCW went out of business.

He has 50/50 joint custody over their 3 children. Its what he has wanted since they filed for divorce almost 3 years ago.

His ex had to get some (mental?) treatment which slowed down the court proceedings over that time.

In practical terms, Kelly will now determine where the kids live. Before, they were living with Alex. So no, it was not a win.

andymcc

Banned

Win/win in what way?

He was fighting for sole custody.

I've literally never listened to any of his shows.

As a dad, it's fucked up seeing people so happy that a custody hearing went bad for someone they don't even know. If this was Howard Stern or anyone else with a public persona that is probably different than how they act with their kids I would be giving the same defense. It's a private matter and this is a public forum.

I'm guessing most of the people in this thread don't even have kids. Go ahead, quote away.

I'm not even coming to his defense, I'm saying it's fucked up to celebrate a parent losing custody when you know nothing about them as a parent. That's my opinion on it.

I'm clearly getting in the way of the circlejerk though. Carry on
Then as a father, you should know better. What about the children? You say that this is a private matter but the future of those children is at stake. If they hang around with that kind of person as a father, then they have the potential to be just like him.

Do you want that? Do you want more Alex Jones in the world???

What some don't seem to get is that this not only affects the now, but the future as well.

Some people need a good dose of humility in their lives. Alex Jones definitely does. I do not want those easily impressionable children around him where they can adopt his mannerisms and thoughts. So yes I am happy that he lost custody.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Would be nice to think he might reflect on this and see that his bullshit has cost him his kids, but you know that wont be the conclusion he comes to so it's just a sad situation.

At least we got him admitting to a judge that it's an act (via his lawyer), that should be enough to damage his influence eventually.

Not really I say this all the time other conspiracy types called him out decades before, like william cooper in the 90s and he still grew quite a bit. Jones know what he is peddling and to whom and they like that right wing nwo zionist bullshit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He looks like John Gandolfini.

edit: Hahahaha at that part wtf, at around 29mins

V2C1onA.jpg

Ok so I'm a bit busy right now so I'll fully respond later. But I want to ask why the 'on the stand' is bolded. Is being put on the defensive wrong? Did I read it wrong? After the lawyer asked Jones about his 'character', Jones said it was completely real. I'm guessing that's the clips were allowed.

C4Lukins

Good to hear. If he is playing a character, then congrats to him for achieving success while playing a role. But I remember watching him on public access in Austin, and we would laugh our asses off at his conspiracy bull shit back in the early 2000's. And if he is simply some sort of performance artist, fuck him and how he feeds stupidity. Because for me and my mostly conservative friends at the time he was an idiot. Somehow Drudge and Trump gave him a platform in modern times, and it blew my mind. I have not looked at Infowars recently, but there was a time where that website linked to Lizard Governments, and Chem trails, and the American Government, under George W Bush mind you, manufactured 9/11. The Jews were also a big part of it and the Illuminati. Fuck him straight to hell. Or to a Supermax because there is not a single constructive moment in this cunts life.

Chumley

Banned
Shame he didn't go by that code when he was telling people Sandy Hook victims were all actors.

Exactly.

Notice how that poster ran away with his tail tucked between his legs. Fucking sickening when bafoons like that come in and defend the indefensible, know nothing about the person they're defending, and then run away.

Good. Let them be raised by someone with decency

Hes spoken about it publicly plenty. Don't tell me what the fuck is my business and what isn't

Its nice you have a soft spot for a lunatic that almost got innocent people shot at a pizza place tho.

Don't be surprised, Dave thought people were being too hard on the woman who lied and got Emmit Till lynched.

To be fair, Alex Jones once looked like this:

qTNrN4j.jpg
Love the infowars watermark.

Is there any proof this is actually him? These seem like unusually high quality photos considering they would have to be from like the 70s considering how old Alex is and I can totally see Alex picking some random gym rats pics and saying they're his.

painey

Is there any proof this is actually him? These seem like unusually high quality photos considering they would have to be from like the 70s considering how old Alex is and I can totally see Alex picking some random gym rats pics and saying they're his.

fighting conspiracy theorists with conspiracy theories.

Lol Alex is only 43 so try late 90s or so

dhonk

film looked a lot better than digital for a long time tho?

Can't say I feel bad for the guy. Kids deserved to be raised by someone rational who lives in reality who isn't a POS. So I'm happy he lost, don't need him indoctrinating his kids with his BS.

It's extremely difficult for me to imagine losing custody of my own kids. No matter how crazy I was, losing my kids would likely push me over the brink. I don't know if my weak self could take such a blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom