• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syberia 3 releases a day early

Corpekata

Banned
Changing from point and click really, REALLY disappointed my mom, nearly to the point of tears. She's not particularly familiar/comfortable with WASD controls and this was the one higher end game (relative to what she usually plays, hidden object games) she was actually looking forward to, and with her being in chronic pain and the shit we've gone through lately it'd have been a bright spot for her. I gave her my 360 controller to see if she can comfortably play with that, but she's not really experienced with that either and might find that painful anyway.

It really IS kind of lame how the likes of Telltale abandoned point and click gameplay despite not necessarily moving that far from it anyway.

Damn.

If she hasn't played it yet, you might want to see if she'd like Thimbleweed Park.

Eusis

That was one of the first games I was thinking of admittedly, and I do wonder if Full Throttle would appeal more than Day of the Tentacle has (that's a bit too close to the kinds of 90s cartoons me and my brother liked as kids that she couldn't stand.)

Corpekata

Banned
That was one of the first games I was thinking of admittedly, and I do wonder if Full Throttle would appeal more than Day of the Tentacle has (that's a bit too close to the kinds of 90s cartoons me and my brother liked as kids that she couldn't stand.)

There's a dedicated adventure game thread somewhere around here, may want to pop in there and ask for a recommendation if you haven't yet. Most of the other ones I can think of tend be a little of the lower budgeted side like a lot of the games by Wadjet Eye:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Wadjet Eye Games

Deathknell

Seems like denuvo has been removed-cracked and i found this on reddit:

"With legit game, it loads for 5 minutes until first startup videos appear and menu runs in 5fps.
With this crack, it pretty much instantly gets to the startup videos and menu runs 60fps.

GG Microids."

I don't have the game, can anyone confirm it takes that long to launch and the 5fps in menus?

Pretty interesting if true..

Yeah, after reading impressions, watching some gameplay and seeing Denuvo is present I'm gonna wait for a sale or maybe an eventual GOG release.

4F9B8539DE02226E68911DBE4852C619E5CFDF29
Bugs aside pretty hopeful about Syberia 3, from the first few hours it's generally gorgeous and feels in tune with the rest of the franchise despite some npc Jank and a bizarrely clunky control scheme. Dreamfall Chapters broke my heart by the end with how lackluster, repetitive, and cheap it felt with nothing coming together in a satisfying way and the budget running out after the first episode.

Ludens

Banned
Syberia 3 has released a day early, at least on Steam. It seems to be getting mixed reviews with two of the biggest complaints being the controls and graphics.

Any GAFfers have this game, and are willing to share first impressions and reviews? I'm on the fence about buying this, even though I love Syberia 1 + 2.

The game released on the estimated release date, at least here (Italy).

xrnzaaas

I don't understand why they insisted to go into 3D and abandon point & click mechanics. The last Broken Sword game was made in "classic" 2D and it worked.

Ludens

Banned
I think when Microids priced the game, well, they did it considering the discount factor, this game would be nice for 10€. But it's also a Microid game, so it will bundled in no time like ABC Murders.

Elios83

First reviews are on metacritic and as expected it's not pretty....average is currently below 60, the technical part of the game is a mess (graphics, camera, environment interaction, controls).
Since I loved Syberia1&2 I think I'm still going to try this but only after a few patches and at 20$.
Don't know why they wanted to go 3D at all costs, they should have known the team didn't have the budget and probably the expertise to do a 3D game that lived up to the previous games that were AAA adventure games in their age.

pots555

Hit a game breaking bug on the PS4 after about three hours. Reloaded, still there... Reinstalled the game, still there... Started a new game, really hope it will not happen again. Very frustrated right now..

Social

Patch 1.1 removed Denuvo from the game. Probably because a bypass crack for it was released very quickly after release.

Patch 1.1 removed Denuvo from the game. Probably because a bypass crack for it was released very quickly after release.

I don't know whether to be happy or depressed.

Happy that they listened to fan feedback and removing that virus known as Denuvo, or that they only did so after the game had been cracked just a day after release.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started on PS4 and this game has some of the worst overall voice acting I've heard, even Kate is horrible. There are so many voices for minor characters that don't even match the person, like an upbeat young woman voice for a stocky old lady. There's such a disconnect every time that I'm starting to just tune it out. I also get the impression that a lot of the lines are sped up. Combine that with the lip syncing and audio-wise this is a very poor showing. Also - on PS4 at least - sometimes the voices drop for a second and then return.

On to the actual game, which I was kind of enjoying up until I got to the town. Making the stamp in the settlement was an okay puzzle, but now I'm in the town trying to get the boat to work, which is taking hours. I kept thinking I was done, but there's always an extra step. Get coal, get water, we're done right? Nope, captain Haddock dropped the key. Okay, got one, done right? Oh no, time for some diving. I get that this is typical fetch quest stuff, but it's done in the most mundane way possible, in a drab setting where everything feels like work. Plus on PS4 getting on the boat and back to the town takes a considerable time to load each time. I'm craving a new setting to wake me up again.

Never played the first 2 Syberia games. Started this because I was craving an old school style adventure, but I'm not getting my fix here so far.

Ludens

Banned
Started on PS4 and this game has some of the worst overall voice acting I've heard, even Kate is horrible. There are so many voices for minor characters that don't even match the person, like an upbeat young woman voice for a stocky old lady. There's such a disconnect every time that I'm starting to just tune it out. I also get the impression that a lot of the lines are sped up. Combine that with the lip syncing and audio-wise this is a very poor showing. Also - on PS4 at least - sometimes the voices drop for a second and then return.

On to the actual game, which I was kind of enjoying up until I got to the town. Making the stamp in the settlement was an okay puzzle, but now I'm in the town trying to get the boat to work, which is taking hours. I kept thinking I was done, but there's always an extra step. Get coal, get water, we're done right? Nope, captain Haddock dropped the key. Okay, got one, done right? Oh no, time for some diving. I get that this is typical fetch quest stuff, but it's done in the most mundane way possible, in a drab setting where everything feels like work. Plus on PS4 getting on the boat and back to the town takes a considerable time to load each time. I'm craving a new setting to wake me up again.

Never played the first 2 Syberia games. Started this because I was craving an old school style adventure, but I'm not getting my fix here so far.
Play the first two games instead.
Reviews simply butchered the game so far, from what I read.
Luckily I dodged a bullet here, was planning to get it on D1 but the lack of reviews and gameplay videos made me think. I saw some russian streamings the day before the official release, and the hype died totally.

Ricker

I am saddened by this...loved the first 2 so much...I will still get it when its cheaper and my backlog is less...

Boem

What a shame. At least Broken Sword 5 turned out to be good in terms of big adventure game revivals.

I don't understand why they insisted to go into 3D and abandon point & click mechanics. The last Broken Sword game was made in "classic" 2D and it worked.

I honestly couldn't stand Broken Sword 5. Pretty ugly (the backgrounds were fine, the characters, cutscenes and animations were atrocious) and the writing was super clunky. I couldn't get through the entire thing because I disliked it so much so maybe it picks up later, but man was that a disappointment for me. I know, limited budget and all that, but as someone who grew up loving the first two games the 5th one didn't work for me at all.

As far as modern 2D adventures go, games like Thimbleweed Park, Broken Age, the DF Lucasarts Remasters and the Wadjet Eye games blow it out of the water.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Play the first two games instead.
Reviews simply butchered the game so far, from what I read.
Luckily I dodged a bullet here, was planning to get it on D1 but the lack of reviews and gameplay videos made me think. I saw some russian streamings the day before the official release, and the hype died totally.

It's for a review, I want to at least finish it. It's been a long time since I played something this rough around the edges. One plus though: some of the puzzles are okay, definitely the one part of the game that isn't a complete mess.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok I beat it and the least I can do after finishing this... trip is to post some final impressions

- Tragic VA across the board
- Frustrating controls on PS4, especially when you have to select different parts in an intricate puzzle.
- Camera often leaves important things out of view. I had to look up where to go next sometimes because sections of the map are obscured. Take this segment from the GS review
Many of these moments rely on arbitrarily placed objects that either require a sharp eye or just blind luck to find. One genuinely clever puzzle forces you to finagle with the accelerometer of a broken-down roller coaster and figure out how to get the car to stop at a the entrance of a secret passageway. The necessary information can be derived from a paper clue nearby, but you need two metal poles to do the job. However, one is haphazardly placed under a bench within the expansive amusement park. So, even the better gameplay moments of the game are held back by curious design decisions

You find one rod where it makes sense, but that other location is so well hidden (and out of the way) that I tried for ages to solve the puzzle with one rod.

- The concept is actually pretty cool: you help an indigenous tribe on their pilgrimage. It's just that the antagonists forced into this are a joke and not believable at all. One of them is a bald army commander with an eye patch, wish I was making it up.
- In most old school adventures you can zip around the map quickly if you're looking for items or how to solve puzzles, but the process is agonizing here. Kate is sloooow even when running and the loading times start to add up. Game even has to load if you enter a zoomed in puzzle screen. Combined with the clunky interface, this is one rough game to navigate through.
- Best part are some of the puzzles, especially the later ones. Even here you can find yourself fighting the interface
- The soundtrack is really good! The music is wasted on this game
- When the entire game is broken, why the hell not: glitched trophies. It's something minor, but is also evidence of this game's quality. It's impossible to get a platinum atm because two trophies are glitched for everyone. I also got two more that just didn't unlock.

Shame it turned out like this, because the concept of helping a tribe migration is a nice change of pace from all the other worn out formulas. I also like how the objective of the first half of the game is literally a prosthetic leg.

All in all I'll have to go with a decent to strong 'avoid at all costs' for this one. Even if you're a big fan of the series I'd tread carefully.

Pantz

My sister can't get her save to load on PS4, it just sits on the loading screen forever. Any fixes for this besides starting over?

I just started playing this, and right away I have the same problem with it that I did with Syberia 2: It's 90% NPC conversations (and poorly acted at that). The awesome thing about Syberia 1 was the feeling that Kate had let the modern world and stumbled into this isolated, forgotten Europe that was outside of time. There were NPCs but the real star was the majestic and fantastical settings. The sequels just do not capture that same feeling at all.

Top Bottom