• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf+: Calling all transhumanists

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've long been a supporter of using technology and human invention to improve ourselves in any way. Make me faster, stronger, smarter. Give me pills, chips, implants, grafts, or entirely new limbs if need be.

I actually had a relationship fall apart because she was so vehemently opposed to the concept and we could never seem to avoid the argument from popping up.

siddx said:
I actually had a relationship fall apart because she was so vehemently opposed to the concept and we could never seem to avoid the argument from popping up.

ah I get it, you wanted her to get bigger boobs and she was against it!

Sapiens

Ghost in the Shell is a great example of how cybernetic prosthetics are most likely going to be handled in reality. I think so, anyway.

I read the manga, and it was kind of cool seeing all of th elittle doodles explaining the shortfalls of cyborg limbs - ie, no matter how strong they are, they are limited by what they are attached to, hence the manga's reasoning for full cybernetic bodies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
SolidusDave said:
ah I get it, you wanted her to get bigger boobs and she was against it!

hell no, I still dream about her boobs! I have yet to find a pair so beautifully and naturally crafted. Every time we finished fucking I wanted to call up her parents and thank them for having such wonderful genes that created the magnificence that was her breasticles and her perfectly shaped tuchus.

Shanadeus

Banned
So I've noticed that there's a significant amount of science/progress-interested members in latest batch of Juniors and I thought I'd welcome you all to the Gaf+ community.

I've lately been reading up all kinds of transhumanism related books and I thought I'd recommend the following book that I think both Gaffers and Gaffers+ would enjoy:

3354054504_2557b5debf.jpg

To what extent should we use technology to try to make better human beings? Because of the remarkable advances in biomedical science, we must now find an answer to this question.

Human enhancement aims to increase human capacities above normal levels. Many forms of human enhancement are already in use. Many students and academics take cognition enhancing drugs to get a competitive edge. Some top athletes boost their performance with legal and illegal substances. Many an office worker begins each day with a dose of caffeine. This is only the beginning. As science and technology advance further, it will become increasingly possible to enhance basic human capacities to increase or modulate cognition, mood, personality, and physical performance, and to control the biological processes underlying normal aging. Some have suggested that such advances would take us beyond the bounds of human nature.

These trends, and these dramatic prospects, raise profound ethical questions. They have generated intense public debate and have become a central topic of discussion within practical ethics. Should we side with bioconservatives, and forgo the use of any biomedical interventions aimed at enhancing human capacities? Should we side with transhumanists and embrace the new opportunities? Or should we perhaps plot some middle course?

Human Enhancement presents the latest moves in this crucial debate: original contributions from many of the world's leading ethicists and moral thinkers, representing a wide range of perspectives, advocates and skeptics, enthusiasts and moderates. These are the arguments that will determine how humanity develops in the near future.

Goya said:
I don't care for transhumanism. My dick is already really big, technology can't improve upon it.

Yes, but one day transhumanist technologies will allow for a woman with a giant artificial vagina so that you no longer have to pleasure yourself with she-donkeys.

siddx said:
I've long been a supporter of using technology and human invention to improve ourselves in any way. Make me faster, stronger, smarter. Give me pills, chips, implants, grafts, or entirely new limbs if need be.

Some people do seem to have a strange aversion to these kinds of technology.

Bring on the computer enhancements to my brain, I say! I'd be happy with a mobile phone that I don't have to physically carry with me: I just want to be able to send messages and keep in contact without the hassle of an actual device.

Jobiensis

besada said:
You're just going to keep bumping your old threads forever, aren't you?

1. Create lots of stupid threads
2. Lose thread creation privileges
3. ?????
4. Profit (by bumping all your old threads)

God damn-it I was writing up a plan for an official GAF transhumanism thread and now some pony fucker beat me to it by a year.

CURSE YOU OP.

But while I'm here:

2vijg38.jpg

anlsf8.jpg

166krdg.jpg

TRANSHARKANISM

np26tg.png

332017o.gif

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I read the OP. First thing that popped into my head was Ghost in the Shell.

Shanadeus

Banned

SeanR1221

Glad this thread is around.

I've been studying behavior for 6 years now.

I started working as a Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapist with kids with autism 5 years ago.

There is nothing better than watching the power of behavior at work. I've probably worked with 30+ clients over the years, and it's incredible to watch their progress.

I almost have my masters in Psych, and plan on becoming a Board Certified Behavior Analyst after that so I can run my own programs.

I'd love to expand past autism. Recently I did an independent study in weight control using ABA. Something like that would be a lot of fun.

If anyone wants what I consider one of the best behavioral books, check out

Beyond-Freedom-and-Dignity.jpg

Super cheap, quick, great read.

Sure I'm down with some cybernetic implants but the whole prediction nonsense needs to stop. No, Ray, you're not going to live forever or bring your dad back to life.

daviyoung

Banned
Transhumanism is a state of mind; transcending your inhibitions, fears, beliefs and instincts.

Not implanting microchips so you can turn the TV on or giving yourself robot legs.

Shanadeus

Banned
daviyoung said:
Transhumanism is a state of mind; transcending your inhibitions, fears, beliefs and instincts.

Not implanting microchips so you can turn the TV on or giving yourself robot legs.
I'd say it's one and a same thing.

daviyoung

Banned
In theory. In reality the mental change must come way before the physical, otherwise the latter just becomes a crutch for the former: open to abuse and exploitation, rendering the entire idea somewhat pointless.

Shanadeus

Banned
daviyoung said:
In theory. In reality the mental change must come way before the physical, otherwise the latter just becomes a crutch for the former: open to abuse and exploitation, rendering the entire idea somewhat pointless.
In reality, physical change will make mental change more radical than what could otherwise be achieved without a physical aid.

Boozeroony

Monocle said:
I hope I live to see our species transformed (for the better) by bioengineering. Improving the human immune system would be a great start. Think what the world would be like without disease.

A shithole.

sullytao

Today we are already making great strides. Stem cell therapies and treatments hold great promise for the future of medicane. Craig Ventors announcement last year of the first synthetic cell was ground breaking aswell. Imagine if in the future we could write a dna code for a virus that travels round your body and kills cancer.

We also have IBM working on something called the Blue Brain Project. Basically they are building the brain digitally from the ground up. Here is a talk they did on TED in 2009 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3wMC2BpxU

Also for anyone interested here is a 3 part documentary called Visions Of The Future featuring Michio Kaku. Well worth a watch.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=80785608139596344# Part 1: Intelligence Revolution.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5040988246744133463# Part 2. The Biotech Revolution.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1640775900931232990# Part 3. The quantum Revolution.

Shanadeus

Banned
sullytao said:
Today we are already making great strides. Stem cell therapies and treatments hold great promise for the future of medicane. Craig Ventors announcement last year of the first synthetic cell was ground breaking aswell. Imagine if in the future we could write a dna code for a virus that travels round your body and kills cancer.

We also have IBM working on something called the Blue Brain Project. Basically they are building the brain digitally from the ground up. Here is a talk they did on TED in 2009 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3wMC2BpxU

Also for anyone interested here is a 3 part documentary called Visions Of The Future featuring Michio Kaku. Well worth a watch.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=80785608139596344# Part 1: Intelligence Revolution.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5040988246744133463# Part 2. The Biotech Revolution.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1640775900931232990# Part 3. The quantum Revolution.
For some reason I don't like Michio Kaku.
But I do like part of his vision for the future.

Iceman

The near future is Prey-like (Michael Crichton) where people will have the option of allowing swarms of tumor-hunting nanomolecules or nanomachines to root around in their blood vessels. (I hope to be working on this ongoing project within a couple of years).

I can't wait for the day when there are whole knee and other joint replacements that are superior our own. I'd like to continue playing sports until my last day on earth.

daviyoung said:

Impossible without changing human nature itself. That's what transhumanism is all about IMO, changing human nature with technology.

Shanadeus

Banned
Kimosabae said:
So when do we start discussing Zeitgeist: Moving Forward?
Never.

Alright fellow +homos!
Since it's soon Transhumanist Thursday (yesterday was Transhumanist Tuesday) I thought I'd raise an interested transhumanism related dilemma.

The two identical minds

Imagine that we'll soon in the future be able to run a human mind on a sort of computer that will perfectly emulate everything that goes on in not just our minds but in our bodies as well as provide a simple virtual environment for this digital human to exist in.

From a human being in meat space we manage to create two identical digital copies that are in paus mode.

Now, what do you think will happen when the computer simultaneously run these two virtual human beings in separate but identical virtual environments?

Shanadeus said:
The two identical minds

Imagine that we'll soon in the future be able to run a human mind on a sort of computer that will perfectly emulate everything that goes on in not just our minds but in our bodies as well as provide a simple virtual environment for this digital human to exist in.

From a human being in meat space we manage to create two identical digital copies that are in paus mode.

Now, what do you think will happen when the computer simultaneously run these two virtual human beings in separate but identical virtual environments?

They will be nearly identical save for nigh undetectable differences caused by the probabilistic nature of QM. If the simulations run long enough there will be large differences because certain things are highly sensitive to initial conditions and small alterations will eventually produce highly distinct outcomes. Free will doesn't exist, souls don't exist etc. A clockwork universe with the occasional die roll is what we're dealing with.

Lemming

A bit off topic, but there´s a great scifi book by david edelman, Infoquake (its a trilogy, actually), about a society overloaded with bio/genetic enginering (automedication, vision enhancements etc). It´s a great take on the theme, imho.
During the "school days", the students eventually have to pass through an initiation cerimony, during which they can´t have access to any of the tech they use on daily basis, so they can learn about the "old ways" and how humans managed to survive back then.

ps: english isn´t my native language, so the grammar is most likely all messed up :)

Zaptruder

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
They will be nearly identical save for nigh undetectable differences caused by the probabilistic nature of QM. If the simulations run long enough there will be large differences because certain things are highly sensitive to initial conditions and small alterations will eventually produce highly distinct outcomes. Free will doesn't exist, souls don't exist etc. A clockwork universe with the occasional die roll is what we're dealing with.

I suppose you can put things like that. It's not inaccurate, but certainly not very descriptive.

It's like saying the universe is made of stuff.

Yeah sure. It is. But it's only a couple steps away from the deterministic+probalistic view of the universe removed from usefulness.

Kimosabae

Banned
Shanadeus said:

So then I should never take this topic seriously?

I mean, considering that what the Zeitgeist movement itself professes to do, you're essentially choosing to ignore the people with their actual hands in the dirt, trying to actively spur human progress?

Shanadeus

Banned
Kimosabae said:
So then I should never take this topic seriously?

I mean, considering that what the Zeitgeist movement itself professes to do, you're essentially choosing to ignore the people with their actual hands in the dirt, trying to actively spur human progress?
Mostly because they deal with a lot of conspiracy theories.

With that said, the whole concept of a resource-free and scientist driven future world is on topic. But the whole Zeitgeist part is, in my opinion, best left out in order for us not to attract conspiracy theorists.

Kimosabae

Banned
Shanadeus said:
Mostly because they deal with a lot of conspiracy theories.

With that said, the whole concept of a resource-free and scientist driven future world is on topic. But the whole Zeitgeist part is, in my opinion, best left out in order for us not to attract conspiracy theorists.

Have you seen Moving Forward?

If not, I suggest you watch that film before making any assumptions regarding what I'm willing to discuss.

El Sloth

Banned
I'm afraid I don't have much of anything to contribute to the topic, but thanks for making this thread. I'll be lurking it in my free time.
Goya said:
I don't care for transhumanism. My dick is already really big, technology can't improve upon it.
Make it part vibrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom