• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIME PS4/PS4 Pro Frame Rate Test (VGTech)

EmiPrime

Yeah an unlocked frame rate is torture whatever the genre. I hope it has the option to lock at 30fps. There's nothing worse than the constant judder resulting from an unlocked frame rate.

As you've used the word 'factually', you clearly know more than me and I would genuinely like to understand the evidence that the RIME Pro mode is utilising more than just a clock boost. Edit: Tyraren has helped me out below...

I posted an interview with the developer earlier in the thread.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Capping this at 30 would go a long way

Does the game have FXAA or something? Those screens look way too soft.

UE4.
UE4's temporal AA can be pretty soft depending on what settings you use for it. Much better coverage than anything like FXAA though.

Tagyhag

No optional lock is weird. I understand that the game had a troubled development but considering this was a PS4 exclusive first it's interesting that it's not running better.

nynt9

Capping this at 30 would go a long way

UE4's temporal AA can be pretty soft depending on what settings you use for it. Much better coverage than anything like FXAA though.

Weird. It's not a good look IMO.

No optional lock is weird. I understand that the game had a troubled development but considering this was a PS4 exclusive first it's interesting that it's not running better.

I don't know about that. The game was announced for PS4 in 2013, Unreal Engine 4 was released in 2014. It was originally supposed to release on XBLA in 2012. For all we know, the game was on an entirely different engine back then and they scratched their work and started over. The game was originally supposed to be open world and have survival aspects, and those were cut out too. This all points to a major rework.

I remember in the trailer thread that a reviewer mentioned he had massive slow downs with a core i7 3770k and a GTX 1070 to hit 1080p 60 FPS. It seems it's going to be a shitty port.

Hoje0308

Banned
Don't know why it's so hard to provide the option to cap performance so your customers don't have to stare at a shitty unlocked frame rate.

belvedere

Junior Butler
If that avg framerate holds up I'll take mid-50s vs locked 30 any day of the week. If the framerate dropped more frequently than what these stats show though it could be distracting.

NMS on Pro is unlocked and although there's rare jittering it is much more preferable than 30fps. The unlocked framerate is always bad myth is over exaggerated.

If that avg framerate holds up I'll take mid-50s vs locked 30 any day of the week. If the framerate dropped more frequently than what these stats show though it could be distracting.

The unlocked framerate is always bad myth is over exaggerated.

As to your first point, a stable mid-50s can be enjoyable for sure, I won't argue that

As for your second point, it all depends on the frequency and severity of the fluctuations.

Dark Souls 3 uncapped Pro update is an absolute fucking disaster, for example.

The problem isn't over-exaggerated at all as the majority of uncapped sub-60 games have wildly inconsistent frame rates and it's extremely debilitating to the gameplay enjoyment

nynt9

NMS on Pro is unlocked and although there's rare jittering it is much more preferable than 30fps. The unlocked framerate is always bad myth is over exaggerated.

As to your first point, a stable mid-50s can be enjoyable for sure, I won't argue that

As for your second point, it all depends on the frequency and severity of the fluctuations.

The problem isn't over-exaggerated at all as the majority of uncapped sub-60 games have wildly inconsistent frame rates and it's extremely debilitating to the gameplay enjoyment

Yep. Especially in something like DS3 where you want precise reactions but sometimes you get 33ms to react, and sometimes you get 16ms to react, and it's all over the place.

belvedere

Junior Butler

I mostly agree, there's definitely scenarios/genres where it's preferable but more times than not it's very jarring. Like NMS, Rime isn't exactly dependent on instant/twitch controls so I am hopeful that an unlocked framerate would benefit here.

Tagyhag

I don't know about that. The game was announced for PS4 in 2013, Unreal Engine 4 was released in 2014. It was originally supposed to release on XBLA in 2012. For all we know, the game was on an entirely different engine back then and they scratched their work and started over. The game was originally supposed to be open world and have survival aspects, and those were cut out too. This all points to a major rework.

Ohhhh I had absolutely no idea about that. That makes a lot more sense then.

So, maybe let's let the pros handle this, buddy
He's right, so perhaps don't be so rude, pal?

Edit: whoops I mean I'm Not sure how well the game handles screen tearing. Hopefully zero on both platforms.
VG Tech always provides this info. If you look at the stat block in the OP, you'll see that there were zero torn frames on PS4. I have to imagine PC will be the same.

PS4 Pro enhancements according to the developer:
TequilaWorks said:
– Much better quality of the shadows.
– Temporal antialiasing has better quality, obtaining more definition and quality in the AA filter.
– The LODs’ distance has been tweaked to increase the visual quality of fauna and flora during the time they are rendered.
– More definition in the texture filter.
– The VFX, shaders, materials and translucency has better quality too so we can have, for example, more realistic metals, better screen space reflections and better detail level in general.
From checking the VG Tech video and screens, I can confirm most of this.

- The shadows are higher resolution on Pro, and drawn to a greater distance.
- AA does seem better on Pro, but in general the AA solution is lax. More details below.
- LOD seems a little bit extended for foliage, but not by a huge extent.
- There's very little detailed texturing, so I can't really check AF.
- Glow and specular highlights do seem slightly improved. The video is too compressed to compare the subtleties of reflection quality.

Interestingly, the TAA seems not to use accumulation when still. So in motion, edges are smoothed out okay (though some speckling does still happen). But when the camera doesn't move, there's jaggies everywhere. You can see this comparing the two shots in the OP. Big vistas are thus a little less impressive when static, but there's not much shimmer to mess up slow pans and so on.

Should have capped it at steady 30. Decided to wait for a patch because the hiccups and fps are bothering me. Especially when panning the game stutters all around.

PS4 and Pro should be able to handle this. There are many other games with far more complex gfx that can push 30.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm playing on a pro and I swear the game is running an average of 25 fps fluctuating to 30 at times. It feels all over the place.

Assumed this would be 4K on PS4 Pro. Maybe I should go with the PC version instead.

PC version is a mess. Don't buy any version of this crap until they patch it.

Initially I was wondering why they couldn't do 4K/30 on the Pro with such basic graphics but after reading impressions from people that have 1080s and Titans, it's all so clear now.

For certain games sure, especially anything competitive like FPS or fighting games but for an ICO inspired single player game?

It's still off putting regardless of the genre. If your game is fluctuating between 30-55 fps, just give an option to lock it to 30 fps for those that want it. A lot of us don't want frame rates, frame times and whatnot distracting from the experience.

Top Bottom