• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Intelligence Committee Open Hearing with James Comey

Okay, if you're looking at it from that angle, then I'd agree. Today won't be enough to seal the deal, but it certainly leads in that direction and shores up the case for that eventuality
Yes it does. They need to build on today and they will.

Holy shit, if this is the first salvo, this is going to get UGLY

theWB27

I'm really curious, how so? You can't prosecute a sitting president... especially not for something like this.

It could be grounds for impeachment, but until he loses confidence of the GOP controlled branches, he's safe. Nothing today showed that they are wavering yet on that support... it'd take a much bigger bombshell than asking Comey to make this go away regarding Flynn.

It'd take something that alters the GOP base that Trump is no longer fit.

We aren't close to that yet, and today didn't move us closer... unless there was more behind closed doors that bring that out.

Until Mueller rules, nothing will happen.

Its called building a case.

sant

Anything interesting that he could've said is classified, and the rest was just he said/she said.

Only new info was the Loretta Lynch stuff

Live on PayPerVie!

ComeyMania RAW 2017!

Defending his title, James Comey steps into the STEEL CAGE OF DEATH with the Senate Hearing Committee! John McCain went after him with his patented McPain POW Attack, but even the McCainiac could not defeat Comey!

Stay tuned, loyal viewers, as this summers events are JUST GETTING STARTED. Comey is going to be moving on to the next weight class with his brother from another mother, ROBERT THE BRUCE MUELLER in the CLOSED SESSION HEARINGS. And all this leads up to this winter's brawl for them all, THE RUSSIA PROBE HEARINGS. We've got all the heavy hitters: Marc "The Good Mexican" Rubio, Christopher Christie, Lizzy Warren Peace, Chuckie Schumer, and honorary WWE hall of famer, Donald Trump!

sant

What did you expect from this lol? This was Comey's testimony, not a trial demanding proof.

Some new information at least. The only thing of substance he said about Trump was that the FBI was not investigating him.

IIRC he also said the Kushner back channel was not illegal.

Apdiddy

Trump wasn't frogmarched out of the White House after the hearing.

Therefore nothing happened.

In a different decade, he would have been. A past President got articles of impeachment over a BJ. Another one resigned for lying about recordings in the White House and covering up a break-in.

Either the standards have lowered or the current crop of Congress don't care. Or there needs to be a 'smoking gun' of some sort before Congress will actually act.

JoeMartin

Trump wasn't frogmarched out of the White House after the hearing.

Therefore nothing happened.

It was an important testimony for the public consent of the eventual outcome of Meuller's investigation.

More importantly, it was unreasonable to expect that any criminal charges would result from Comey's testimony as he certainly would say nothing to jeopardize the criminal fallout of Meuller's investigation.

Dude Abides

Banned
It was an important testimony for the public consent of the eventual outcome of Meuller's investigation.

More importantly, it was unreasonable to expect that any criminal charges would result from Comey's testimony as he certainly would say nothing to jeopardize the criminal fallout of Meuller's investigation.

I know. I was mocking the notion that a former FBI director testifying under oath that the President asked him to halt a criminal investigation of one of the President's close associates is insignificant.

In a different decade, he would have been. A past President got articles of impeachment over a BJ. Another one resigned for lying about recordings in the White House and covering up a break-in.

Either the standards have lowered or the current crop of Congress don't care. Or there needs to be a 'smoking gun' of some sort before Congress will actually act.

Standards have definitely changed, that much is certain.

I guess I got caught up by the hype. I mean, people were hyping this up for a week. I don't doubt Trump and his cronies have done some shit, but it would be nice to have some more info than what was presented. The biggest thing we got out of it was John McCain's incoherent question.

sant

I know. I was mocking the notion that a former FBI director testifying under oath that the President asked him to halt a criminal investigation of one of the President's close associates is insignificant.

All Comey said was that Trump wanted "loyalty"

I'm no lawyer, but that sounds ambiguous enough to me.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Either the standards have lowered or the current crop of Congress Republicans don't care. Or there needs to be a 'smoking gun' of some sort before Congress Republicans will actually act.

FTFY.

Seeing as how the GOP owns every branch of the federal government right now, the lack of action is 100% on them.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wow, Hannity really hates Comey this week.

I'm going to crosspost this article from Poligaf. I think it's quite good.

What it Feels Like for a Woman and James Comey

W Mag said:
A powerful man—your boss—invites you to discuss business after hours in an intimate setting. You feel uneasy. The man has crossed the line before, singling you out, blowing you kisses, whispering softly in your ear. But to turn him down would be an insult. And let’s face it, you’re a little intrigued. Someone powerful is paying attention to you.

The date is arranged at a swanky spot: the Beverly Hills Hotel or the Green Room at the White House. They both have bedrooms nearby which makes you a little nervous. Still, you assume others will be there. But when you arrive—surprise!— it’s just the two of you. The waitstaff is discreet. You note: “Two Navy stewards waited on us, only entering the room to serve food and drinks.”

Your instincts tell you something’s up, but it’s hard to put into words. “The one-on-one setting…was, at least in part, an effort to have me ask for my job and create some sort of patronage relationship.” Bingo! This is not business as usual.

There’s an ulterior motive.

The powerful man starts asking questions: Do you like your job? Do you want to keep it? You think your hard work and dedication makes the answers obvious. Still, you respond, “I love my work,” and want to keep at it. The powerful man nods. Then it happens: he moves on you “like a bitch.”

“I need loyalty,” he says. “I expect loyalty.” He lays out the quid pro quo: you make him happy, he’ll make you happy.

You’re stunned. You know you should storm away from the small oval table. Instead, you sit paralyzed. Later, you recall, “I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the awkward silence that followed.” This is typical. When threatened, the nervous system sometimes goes into a “freeze response.” You assess the risk and determine that fight or flight doesn’t help you. Staying put does.

The whole thing is worth a read. The metaphor helps illustrate how power and coercion work hand in hand.

C4Lukins

It turned out to be nothing in the end. I hate Trump but any conclusion you had in mind where he loses power.... it did not happen today.

For some of these people's sake, I hope they're getting paid to post this stuff on the internet as some kind of RNC campaign.

Otherwise, this level of defeatism in defiance of reality is insane. You don't have to even believe in stuff like impeachment to admit that what occurred is significant.

All Comey said was that Trump wanted "loyalty"

I'm no lawyer, but that sounds ambiguous enough to me.

I don't even think you watched it or you're just trying to downplay it all.

It was 2.5 hours and Comey explained all the encounters with Trump down to body language and what was going through his mind and why he felt it was important to testify. He practically opened up by calling Trump a liar, straight up. It's not his job to say whether it was obstruction of Justice but if he felt otherwise he wouldn't have even done this, especially under oath.

Anyways you're probably just telling yourself nothing happened cause you think it sounds cool or something.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP

That depends what your definition of 'is' is. Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice, which didn't even work anyway. Trump's impeachment would have yielded the same result

Especially since Trump didn't purger himself, and didn't have sex with a intern while in the highest position of power.

Congress never cared and nothing's changed.

It turned out to be nothing in the end. I hate Trump but any conclusion you had in mind where he loses power.... it did not happen today.
"hate"

Sure.

Today was definitely a big deal. People who expect things to happen instantly are going to keep disappointing themselves. These things take time.

Top Bottom