• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Maro Bros recreated using AR via MS Hololens

gamz

I thought this was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN95nNDtxjo

Super Mario Bros meets Augmented Reality in this crazy life sized first person experience! I recreated the iconic first level, dressed up as Mario and then played it in Central Park (NYC). Built in Unity3D for the Microsoft Hololens. This video was recorded entirely through the hololens with no post production.

mas8705

The only concern that I have is the goombas. It isn't the idea of jumping on them while wearing the AR headset while in public, but the sound that is made when you squish them. It sounds... slightly graphic.

Avallon

AR has a long way to go. You can tell we're just at the beginning. This will be a really cool technology in a few years.

gamz

Pretty impressive, but just like vr it's hard not to look ridiculous doing something like that!

Of course and thats why I think the dude is cool as hell. He gives zero fucks dressed up as Mario in Central Park with AR strapped to him.

wwm0nkey

When these become more wearable (smaller) its going to be great. We are sadly like 10+ years out from that I feel :c

Hololens is really impressive though

Sanic

While this is definitely cool, for those that haven't used the HoloLens - the field of view is incredibly narrow, and all imagery has a level of transparency to it. You aren't quite getting the experience presented here.

BriGuy

Better in theory than execution. It's just a casual stroll with some green pipes you can walk around, enemies you can walk through, and pits you can't fall into.

teiresias

You can just go around pipes? lol

As soon as you solve how he can jump on nonexistent pipes I'm sure he'd take your code and incorporate it into the fabric of the physical universe.

While this is definitely cool, for those that haven't used the HoloLens - the field of view is incredibly narrow, and all imagery has a level of transparency to it. You aren't quite getting the experience presented here.

Yeah, I was wondering why he was presenting it like that than what it really looks like. Is this a post render job available in the toolset or something for demo purposes?

Bsigg12

Really cool use of the tech. It'll be interesting to see AR become more and more social and available to more people over the next 5 years and what comes of it.

This guy found a way to make throwing fireballs the lamest thing ever.

giphy.gif

qdjjszU.gif

Effect

Pretty cool. This is why I've always found AR far more interesting then VR and really want to see where it can go.

One huge advantage of selling AR vs VR is how well you can convey what AR is like through demos. It actually looks better than it probably really is cause you don't experience the super small field of view. It's pretty cool tech though. Excited to see how MS addresses it's shortcomings

Yeah it's like the opposite of VR. AR demos extremely well

RowdyReverb

Oh wow. In 15 years, kids are going to be playing this stuff. People thought Pokémon Go was popular, wait til this hits the mainstream

Mael

Would probably be more interesting if it was something like Mario64 or some other 3D game.
This looks like the horrible "What if Mario was like Doom" vids.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I wouldn't be surprised if the Hololens had difficulty tracking when running.

It's having enough trouble with the walking at times. Still, it's doing pretty well overall.

The hole in the floor was a nice touch.

The "recorded entirely through the hololens with no post production" line in the description could be misinterpreted. No doubt the video's being captured by the device, but the FOV is too big for the user to be seeing all that. For the parts that you do see, the resolution there is pretty accurate. Things aren't quite that opaque, but it's close.
Edit: beaten

This guy found a way to make throwing fireballs the lamest thing ever.

giphy.gif

qdjjszU.gif

That tap gesture is actually how you click your mouse (more or less).
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/gestures
Maybe there's some wiggle room to do a fireball throw with the select and hold one, but generally it needs your hand to be in front of you to be recognized so it couldn't be a full motion.

jediyoshi

Better in theory than execution. It's just a casual stroll with some green pipes you can walk around, enemies you can walk through, and pits you can't fall into.

Pretty sure dude's aim wasn't to actually create some compelling game here. It's like when people take those UE4 tech demo asset dumps too seriously.

Yeah it's like the opposite of VR. AR demos extremely well

That post is literally saying how poor an actual representation of hololens the video is :p

Top Bottom