• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I'm listening to the story podcast and they point out that we're actually getting two Taigam cards. The Jeskai one we've already seen (WU) and a Sultai one (UB) in the Wizard deck.

Wulfric

Here's a closeup look of Edgar. It seems they cranked up the saturation on this piece for the card.

It's 13x17.3 inches, current bid is $6000.

0pZQRVH.jpg
UXwJ4Al.jpg

Wulfric

It's going to go for several times that. Beautiful piece.

I think it'll go for 12k at least. It's not often that vampires go up for sale. And Sorin's planeswalker cards have all been digital, so this is going to be the next best thing for a lot of collectors.

Tunoku

Totally forgot to brag yesterday, but I pulled my first Invocation during draft last night. I actually sat down in the wrong spot at first and told the dude who was supposed to sit there that he'd pull a masterpiece now. He didn't, but I did! It was a No Mercy:

It looks pretty sweet in person, but I fell in love with it too quickly and my draft ended up being an absolute trainwreck. The more people at a table go for a 4 color durdle deck the worse they get.

Totally forgot to brag yesterday, but I pulled my first Invocation during draft last night. I actually sat down in the wrong spot at first and told the dude who was supposed to sit there that he'd pull a masterpiece now. He didn't, but I did! It was a No Mercy:

It looks pretty sweet in person, but I fell in love with it too quickly and my draft ended up being an absolute trainwreck. The more people at a table go for a 4 color durdle deck the worse they get.

That was the first masterpiece I pulled too! Congratulations!

Yeef

Congrats! No mercy seems like it'd be hard to play against. I'd probably force black if at all possible after opening it.

During prerelease, I had to play against a guy who opened a Worship. Fortunately, I had plenty of removal, so I was able to keep his board clear when it counted.

Tunoku

Congrats! No mercy seems like it'd be hard to play against. I'd probably force black if at all possible after opening it.

During prerelease, I had to play against a guy who opened a Worship. Fortunately, I had plenty of removal, so I was able to keep his board clear when it counted.

I tried to force, but got cut unfortunately and had to pivot into a green mass splashing for everything. And I ended up losing a match to Approach of the Second Sun as well, which made No Mercy look kinda useless because I couldn't get through their Hippos.

I really like this draft format, but can't manage to win all that much. I should probably just be more reasonable and pass Oasis Ritualist every once in a while.

Yeef

I haven't gotten to draft this format as much as I'd like, but I enjoy it a lot. It's easily one of the better multi-set formats. There's enough fixing and sideways cards that you can build interesting decks that are viable, but the normal strategies work as well. My only real complaint is that there are too many board wipes in the format, especially for a small set.

ElyrionX

Yeah that wizard commander looks interesting but there isn't a critical mass of good ETB wizards and many of the stronger wizards are also legendary.

Yeef

Yeah that wizard commander looks interesting but there isn't a critical mass of good ETB wizards and many of the stronger wizards are also legendary.
The new vampire wizard goes infinite with Ashnod's Altar. It's pretty cool with Snapcaster and Master of Waves, too.

Yeah, but none of them are what you'd want for a Mardu vampire deck. Which up until now desperately needed a commander, and as such Edgar (edit: I take this back. He's actually quite good, but not exactly conducive to a durdley format like commander can be most times. ) is not super exciting I guess.

Hm, yeah, I dunno. I think of go-wide/boost strategies as pretty reasonable, since there's a lot of cases where you can build up a board of a bunch of 3/3s (or whatever) without immediately drawing heat, then boost them and clear a way for them to move in.

It's so weird for them to bring back Phasing, when there have been a billion other "Exile, then return" cards. It has so much unintuitive rules attached to it, and it has not been used on a black bordered card in literally 20 years (1997).

Exile then return triggers a buttload of ETB/LTB effects, which makes that what the card is about rather than hiding your stuff for a turn.

I'm listening to the story podcast and they point out that we're actually getting two Taigam cards. The Jeskai one we've already seen (WU) and a Sultai one (UB) in the Wizard deck.

Oh man this makes me ridiculously happy.

Somebody on Twitter made a good point about how many Grixis wizards have good ETB effects: Snapcaster, Master of Waves, Augur of Bolas, Dualcaster Mage, Spellstutter Sprite, Vendillion Clique, Venser, Trinket/Trophy/Treasure Mage....

It's like the ultimate exile effect. And if I understand correctly, in the past, it also killed tokens because they couldn't be blinked.
it kills tokens because there used to be a phased out zone and tokens cease to exist when moving zones.

It's important to reiterate that phasing isn't a moving of zones but a change of status

red13th

Somebody on Twitter made a good point about how many Grixis wizards have good ETB effects: Snapcaster, Master of Waves, Augur of Bolas, Dualcaster Mage, Spellstutter Sprite, Vendillion Clique, Venser, Trinket/Trophy/Treasure Mage....

Sower of Temptation too :p

Riptide Laboratory would be a cool reprint.

With this and Ixalan leaks, it seems like gold/treasure tokens are safely in red's color pie, which definitely works better than only being able to add R to the mana pool.

This only makes sense; they've been basically doing this effect in red/green hybrid for a while with cards like Wild Cantor and Manamorphose.

Sower of Temptation too :p

I skipped a bunch of good options because there were so many to choose frrom!

Riptide Laboratory would be a cool reprint.

I would be a little bit irked if it isn't, really.

wasn't gold a black mechanic in Theros?

It was also a big theme of the cabal and aren't Orzhov also moneylenders?
Wait a sec aren't Orzhov the cliched prejudice against Jews throughout the last millennia impersonated?

Yeef

Gold was a black mechanic in Theros because it was tied to Midas (turning creatures into gold). Just straight up making gold tokens makes more sense in red.

In a sense, temporary mana fits Red more than Black but money is much more in tune with black both historically and thematically through greed.

It's going to fit red in Ixalan because the flavour there appears to be adventuring and scavenging more than minting.

wasn't gold a black mechanic in Theros?

It was also a big theme of the cabal and aren't Orzhov also moneylenders?
Wait a sec aren't Orzhov the cliched prejudice against Jews throughout the last millennia impersonated?
Nah, the Orzhov (Big Planewide Organization that uses the guise of religion as a method to achieve money/power, governed by a ruling body of old men who care more for power then piety) is basically Reformation Era Protestant Propoganda taken to the max.

Selesyna is the "Nature, Man" Hippy Stereotype personified.

Maledict

In a sense, temporary mana fits Red more than Black but money is much more in tune with black both historically and thematically through greed.

It's going to fit red in Ixalan because the flavour there appears to be adventuring and scavenging more than minting.

Um, whilst greed is definitely black money itself isn't. Money is a collective agreement that something that doesn't have value actually does for the benefit of society as a whole. It's almost certainly white in original concept - and then twisted to black when someone becomes obsessed with having massive amounts of it.

traveler

Not Wario
Greed is black, pillaging is red, and the concept of trade is white and/or blue. The curse is effectively setting a player up to be pillaged, so it's red.

Firemind

I don't understand the concept of trading gold for mana either. I'd understand exchanging gold for common goods like hiring creatures to fight for you or buying land to then produce mana, but actual mana? That's literally magic.

I don't understand the concept of trading gold for mana either. I'd understand exchanging gold for common goods like hiring creatures to fight for you or buying land to then produce mana, but actual mana? That's literally magic.

Based on the Time Walk Property of Magic: Mana = Time, and Time = Money, so Money = Mana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom