• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Lawbreakers PS4/Pro vs PC Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

Theorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3dcnae9De4

The complete graphics showdown between all versions of Lawbreakers. We've had a lot of fun with this Unreal Engine 4 shooter, but the pecking order is clear. PS4 runs at a native 1600x900 resolution and with variable 30-60fps range of performance. Meanwhile, PS4 Pro renders at around 1440p (our count coming in at 1404p) with a much smoother frame-rate.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's a good improvement going from 900p to 1404p at a steadier framerate but it's pretty shitty of Bosskey to exaggerate the resolution in the PS Blog post and and also not have much in the way of 1080p setting improvements as outlined.

Xater

It's a good improvement going from 900p to 1404p at a steadier framerate but it's pretty shitty of Bosskey to exaggerate the resolution in the PS Blog post and and also not have much in the way of 1080p setting improvements as outlined.

One could call it lying...

A real shame about the the performance on the regular PS4. You'd think UE4 should be little more scalable. Was a dynamic resolution not an option?

Kinda a bummer that 900p is becoming more and more normalized on OG PS4 since the introduction of the Pro. I was worried that that was going to happen when it was announced.

Gestault

The resolution is fine enough, but that range on the framerate for the base model PS4 is grounds for some grumbling. I also don't understand why this is another new release without downsampling for 1080p Pro owners.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I really like how some pro games go from 900p on regular PS4 to something in the realm of 1440p recently.

Really shows up those devs who go for a 900p on base and then just settle for a 1080p bump.

One could call it lying...

A real shame about the the performance on the regular PS4. You'd think UE4 should be little more scalable. Was a dynamic resolution not an option?

IMO, resolution disparity between pro and ps4 suggests that lower framerates (30fps) on reg ps4 probably have to do with mem bandwidth and/or CPU.

Vashetti

Banned
Again no downsampling, but instead just a bump to native 1080p on 1080p TVs. :/
Why do they do this?

They dress it up as giving all the bells and whistles, but DF were hard-pressed to find any difference from base PS4 other than 900p vs. 1080p and a more consistent 60fps.

It was normal to see 900p on ps4 before pro arrived.

Its not that normal. I think there is probably around 10 of them.

But its totally the norm for 60fps UE4 games. Street Fighter, Tekken, Paragon and now this. Its just nice it seems Unreal supports 60fps on console now since last gen devs had to really butcher UE3 to get there.

Md Ray

DF just exposed Boss Key Productions' lies about PS4 Pro enhancements. What a shame.
How are they getting away with this?

Gitaroo

Kinda a bummer that 900p is becoming more and more normalized on OG PS4 since the introduction of the Pro. I was worried that that was going to happen when it was announced.

Ps4 wasn't exactly state of the art when it was release 4 years ago. For a game that is pushing 60fps, this is pretty much expected.

WillySJ3

Banned

Is not normalized like you said, most games are 1080p on base ps4, it really depends wich type of game. Anyway, when performance is a priority, resolution come last.

Hoje0308

Banned
For most games, though? I remember 1080p (unless my memory fails me). 900p was usually for most Xbox One multiplats, however.

1080/60 really isn't that common on PS4. Even Naughty Dog settled on 900p to get Uncharted 4 multiplayer running at (mostly) 60fps.

arimanius

I was waiting for this. It's a shame it's not what the blog stated and performance isn't a solid 60 fps on the Pro. Hopefully they'll keep at it and it will improve with a couple of patches.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary for those at work etc.

- Built on UE4 and is 'obscenely fast'
- Stuttering issues at launch are largely fixed after a patch.
- Not perfect but regularity and severity of stuttering is reduced.

Visuals:
- OG PS4: 900p
- PS4 Pro: 1404p with otherwise same visual settings as OG PS4.
- Pro on 1080p gives a native 1080p image, doesn't do full down-sampling from 1404p.
- At 1080p, Pro still runs at same visual settings, doesn't offer any enhancements in any visual effects. Shading/Occlusion etc are still a match for for OG PS4 and Pro at 4K mode.
- PC on Ultra settings offers clear advantages in occlusion/shading etc.

Performance:
- OG PS4 has clear FPS drops in contested areas to 30 FPS with full-screen tearing.
- Indoor/corridor areas run at 60 FPS most (all) of the time.
- Pro @1080p runs at a solid 60 FPS.
- Pro at 1404p, 60 FPS is still maintained very consistently.
- Both Pro versions offer smoother game play during hectic scenarios and may offer an advantage to Pro players.

It would be shitty of them if they lied and had no intentions fulfilling that list. I wonder if they simply were limited on time/resources and plan on delivering on those improvements described on the PS blog at a later time.

WillySJ3

Banned
Summary for those at work etc.

- Built on UE4 and is 'obscenely fast'
- Stuttering issues at launch are largely fixed after a patch.
- Not perfect but regularity and severity of stuttering is reduced.

Visuals:
- OG PS4: 900p
- PS4 Pro: 1404p with otherwise same visual settings as OG PS4.
- Pro on 1080p gives a native 1080p image, doesn't do full down-sampling from 1404p.
- At 1080p, Pro still runs at same visual settings, doesn't offer any enhancements in any visual effects. Shading/Occlusion etc are still a match for for OG PS4 and Pro at 4K mode.
- PC on Ultra settings offers clear advantages in occlusion/shading etc.

Performance:
- OG PS4 has clear FPS drops in contested areas to 30 FPS with full-screen tearing.
- Indoor/corridor areas run at 60 FPS most (all) of the time.
- Pro @1080p runs at a solid 60 FPS.
- Pro at 1404p, 60 FPS is still maintained very consistently.
- Both Pro versions offer smoother game play during hectic scenarios and may offer an advantage to Pro players.
That's the best way to play on Ps4 then.

I just found out about this thread and analysis now. Weird though. I was expecting them to fulfill their promise especially with a studio working close with Epic. I noticed when playing the Beta that the PC on Ultra is filled with reflections and SSR while the PS4 Pro version lacks most of it.
I was also surprised to see that even Fortnite was promised to get the maxed out version on PS4 Pro (like Paragon) but according to DF it is very similar to base PS4.
What happened to Fortnite? Did they add the features they promised on PS4 Pro?
If they did then expect Lawbreakers to do the same soon.

Top Bottom