• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

Man, i haven't played mtg (seriously) in 7-8 years but saw some video about "Commander" and started reading about it again and now i'm thinking on going to the pre-release ....

Do it! This next set is shaping up to be pretty amazing and early next year, the next set after Ixalan is Dominaria! They even brought Richard Garfield back as a designer for it.

Fascinating how people invested in MTGO are kind of hoping for Arena to fail. People are being really short-sighted imo. It does make some sense for companies like mtgotraders to poop their pants a little though.

I mean if you didn't see MTGO's future in doubt, or at least the value of MTGO collections falling, then you weren't paying attention. The MTGO trading bots should definitely be concerned about their long term health. If, say, half the community makes Arena their draft client of choice (which it most likely will since it will undoubtedly be much cheaper) then that means a huge decline in the number of boosters being opened. I can see Arena having a huge impact on the secondary MTGO market right off the bat.

As someone who had a stint during Mirrodin-Kamigawa and has been back since Khans, I hope they ensure Dominaria is accessible enough for me. It shouldn't be too self-referential I think.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is complete bull. Magic has way, way, way, way more casual appeal than Hearthstone does.

Magic covers a wide spectrum of genres, themes, etc. etc. Hearthstone (as is now) is based entirely off of World of Warcraft, which is no longer the juggernaut it once was.
I mean I don't know what to tell you if you think Magic is just as friendly to casual players as entrenched hardcore players because it just isn't.

Justin

DJNXGlxXgAItgp8.png:large

The problem is that people keep saying HEARTHSTONE HEARTHSTONE HEARTHSTONE when Magic isn't comparable enough to Hearthstone for that argument to be meaningful beyond "card game." Like, I legitimately feel some of you guys are just as dazzled by the Hearthstone cash numbers as Hasbro executives are and aren't seeing reality: Magic is an ultra fiddly, timing-specific game that will never, ever, ever appeal to casual game players the way Hearthstone does.

It already does. There's something like an estimated 20mil playing the paper game, with only like 100k active in the competitive scene. The game isn't as complicated if you're not playing in a tournament setting, aspects of the game essentially don't exist until someone goes 'Sylvan Library + Chains of Mephistopheles'. Arena is trying to be simplified magic for the noobs, AND complex magic for the enfranchised AND it's doing it for free. This will be its strength, it's a teaching tool and a retention tool all in one, and it looks like it's doing a good job of it.

It would be exceedingly easy for them to hit multi-million player numbers if they put codes in booster packs, reach is that huge. Now lets ask why they haven't attempted pack codes with MTGO. It's not because of the in game economy, it's because they could not handle the sudden influx of players that would bring (I'm under the impression that shit runs on a single server, which I find hilarious).

Hearthstone type numbers aren't impossible. The common MTG player probably also doesn't see a huge difference between this and Hearthstone. Full-control is there for us, streamlined controls are there for them. I'm actually very impressed with how much they still present with the not-full-controls.

To wit, everyone playing fighting games has their own personal preference of game. There are plenty of games that are conceivably better than Street Fighter. But Street Fighter gets a huge player base because people know Street Fighter, and it is after all still a fighting game, so the pros also wind up playing it. When Arena comes out on all platforms, is everything to everyone, and is free to play, it will get way more players than MTGO almost instantly, and will naturally peel players away from MTGO. Call it audience gravity or something.

DrArchon

That looks tailor made to fuck over token strategies. Guess it's meant to be the anti-Vampire card.

"Oh you have Oketra's Monument? Have fun losing 2 life every time you cast a creature spell."

OnPoint

This card is low-key awesome.

3/3 for 3? Ok.

Evasion? Menace is relevant.

Affects the board? Players can't gain life.

AND it deals damage for more creatures coming in? Sucks that it's symmetrical but red decks tend to out race their own effects.

I dunno, seems real good to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This card is low-key awesome.

3/3 for 3? Ok.

Evasion? Menace is relevant.

Affects the board? Players can't gain life.

AND it deals damage for more creatures coming in? Sucks that it's symmetrical but red decks tend to out race their own effects.

I dunno, seems real good to me.
It's a decent card assuming Red Aggro is in the market for a 3 drop, but I think you're using that term differently than it is ordinarily understood.

"Players can't gain life" is the kind of ability that specifically doesn't affect the board - that term usually means it meaningfully changes players positions when it enters the battlefield. The way it does that is by being a 3/3 - if your opponent makes it Walk the Plank on their turn it didn't do anything and we say it didn't "affect the board."

OnPoint

It's a decent card assuming Red Aggro is in the market for a 3 drop, but I think you're using that term differently than it is ordinarily understood.

"Players can't gain life" is the kind of ability that specifically doesn't affect the board - that term usually means it meaningfully changes players positions when it enters the battlefield. The way it does that is by being a 3/3 - if your opponent makes it Walk the Plank on their turn it didn't do anything and we say it didn't "affect the board."

Gotcha. I'll be better about my phrase choice in the future

Angry Grimace

Gotcha. I'll be better about my phrase choice in the future
I don't mean it as either fun or word policing - I just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page because a lot of misunderstandings come from the difference in interpretation of commonly used MTG phrases like "dies to removal" or "doesn't affect the board state."

DrArchon

This seems pushed! (Catalog effects are normally 2U, this is a Catalog for 1U and it has raid!)

The fact that there are no limits on what kind of creature attacks, or whether or not it connects, makes this super pushed. It really is just raid on an already good spell.

Seriously, blue aggro/tempo could be pretty good if there's enough support.

OnPoint

I wasn't into Pirates Vs Dinosaurs before the spoilers, but damn, this set looks fun.

I don't mean it as either fun or word policing - I just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page because a lot of misunderstandings come from the difference in interpretation of commonly used MTG phrases like "dies to removal" or "doesn't affect the board state."

No offense taken or anything. I really do appreciate when someone lets me know I got it wrong.

ultron87

Ultrapro is doing blind boosters with tokens.

That's kind of neat. The double dials is nice since you can use it for stuff like how many of your big token pile is tapped, etc.

I'd rather just directly buy a Spirits counter or whatever instead of a blind booster of course.

Rampaging Ferocidon seems like it was designed to counter Copycat. I'm surprised they used a one word name for Rile.

EDIT: No Academy effect? As far as I can tell, this breaks the pattern of copying classic lands for this cycle.

Top Bottom