• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

noquarter

Why would anyone want a copy of Hyalopterous Lemure without the original art? That's the only thing that makes the card interesting.
Just it being one of the most well known misunderstandings. I totally agree that the art makes the card, would be cool to see what the artist would do if he had a better idea of the designers intention.

Just it being one of the most well known misunderstandings. I totally agree that the art makes the card, would be cool to see what the artist would do if he had a better idea of the designers intention.
It would be great if Dominaria had a new lemure, and it was still a lemur.

Haines

Banned
Is it worth watching this whole hour long video on arena?

I dont really have that sorta time to burn.

I signed up for beta. Im assuming thats coming this year?

What a difference a day makes

During the Arena stream

At HASCON a few minutes ago

Anyone who makes their living with Magic video content should be ecstatic right now. I can understand why the mtggoldfish guys are trying to downplay Arena since so much of their site is tied to MTGO but they could absolutely adjust and be fine.

IMA let you finish but MM3 was the best Masters set of all time.

How many of those accounts are hardcore accounts that spend as much as the top spending MTGO accounts? It's not the same market.

Having 70 million people paying $6 a year on average is better than 300,000 people paying $1000 a year on average (and MTGO is not anywhere remotely close to that -- Magic's revenue as a whole is only about $300m and MTGO is a small fraction of that.)

I think there's some number definitely - but I don't think it's that big. There are already a number of more complicated, in depth electronic ccgs out there and they aren't really impacting hearthstone.

None of those games is Magic, tho.

The problem is that people keep saying HEARTHSTONE HEARTHSTONE HEARTHSTONE when Magic isn't comparable enough to Hearthstone for that argument to be meaningful beyond "card game." Like, I legitimately feel some of you guys are just as dazzled by the Hearthstone cash numbers as Hasbro executives are and aren't seeing reality: Magic is an ultra fiddly, timing-specific game that will never, ever, ever appeal to casual game players the way Hearthstone does.

Magic Duels -- a mediocre offering with no streaming community that's already been EOLed -- has 2.7m accounts on Steam alone with 70,000 people still playing weekly. Arena is far more appealing than that and is gonna have a full-court-press on Twitch to get people interested. I'd be shocked if they get less than 10m signups in the first year, and it's trivial at that scale to make more money than MTGO even with small spenders.

If you want another indicator of how much upside there is in this market, Konami's latest Yu-Gi-Oh app has 50m downloads in a year: https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/en/news/release/20170823/?cm_sp=01-_-release-_-20170823-e

Fascinating how people invested in MTGO are kind of hoping for Arena to fail.

Unrecoverable equity does that to people.

They broke the pattern of putting the cards on bottom in a random order.

There was definitely a philosophical shake up behind the scenes for this set. They are reversing things that had previously been changed about how cards are supposed to work.

Another example: that 3 drop dinosaur has a down side for its controller. It doesn't JUST screw over your opponents. That would have been unthinkable in any set printed in the past 3 years.

They specifically changed the whole development process -- we don't have the full details but every step of their old pipeline got shook up. It's clear that one of the results of the way they've refocused development vs. play design is that they're trying to dial down total mechanical complexity a lot but give more slack on individual card complexity in certain ways.

Justin

Saw this on twitter. Wording change on the Arena card vs Printed card.

DJNyyrfUEAANG1w

Hero

Having 70 million people paying $6 a year on average is better than 300,000 people paying $1000 a year on average (and MTGO is not anywhere remotely close to that -- Magic's revenue as a whole is only about $300m and MTGO is a small fraction of that.)

Magic Duels -- a mediocre offering with no streaming community that's already been EOLed -- has 2.7m accounts on Steam alone with 70,000 people still playing weekly. Arena is far more appealing than that and is gonna have a full-court-press on Twitch to get people interested. I'd be shocked if they get less than 10m signups in the first year, and it's trivial at that scale to make more money than MTGO even with small spenders.

If you want another indicator of how much upside there is in this market, Konami's latest Yu-Gi-Oh app has 50m downloads in a year: https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/en/news/release/20170823/?cm_sp=01-_-release-_-20170823-e

Thanks for providing numbers. No idea where the basis came from that Magic has a lower ceiling than a game based on World of Warcraft due to complexity.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Anyone who makes their living with Magic video content should be ecstatic right now. I can understand why the mtggoldfish guys are trying to downplay Arena since so much of their site is tied to MTGO but they could absolutely adjust and be fine.

As soon as MTG streamers make the switch to Arena for draft videos, it's going to take off. Kibler's always said that MTGO is the reason he moved to Hearthstone. It'd be huge for MTG/Arena if WotC managed to get him streaming standard/draft again on his channel. Same with Amaz, who's obviously interested in the game/community.

DJNyyrfUEAANG1w
I wonder if this will be used for all effects that can burn players, since there's a ton of history preventing them from spelling it out of physical cards, but nothing stops them on digital.

Ten bucks says this rules change/errata is coming to the paper game within the next year. EDIT: I am a super-genius:

239e17fe52ed5a26adbc6a1c29d667c7.png

As soon as MTG streamers make the switch to Arena for draft videos, it's going to take off. Kibler's always said that MTGO is the reason he moved to Hearthstone. It'd be huge for MTG/Arena if WotC managed to get him streaming standard/draft again on his channel. Same with Amaz, who's obviously interested in the game/community.

Yeah people really underestimate how much attention (and as a result, cash) the big streamers can bring in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think Vraska is really strong.

+ Huge loyalty
+ Creature creation on a plus ability
+ Destroy anything that isn't a Planeswalker for a reasonable cost while ALSO banking mana
+ Achievable, game-ending ult

Yeah, she's 6 mana, but she's about as strong as you can reasonably expect a 6 mana Planeswalker to be. If there's a GB deck than can afford her then I absolutely expect her to be impactful.
I think she's just too slow. Nothing is gonna ever touch Elspeth in the 6 drop range.

Hero

Honestly, Kibler's defection to Hearthstone and his fairly openness in talking about it probably helped in the decision to make Arena.

Crocodile

So like Lightning Bolt will still be able to hurt players and PWs but now it will just spell that out on the card? As long as the functionality of old cards doesn't change that's good but UGH so much errata. Will be a pain for Cubes to have so many different wordings and what not :/

ultron87

That errata will make sense with most normal burn spells, you just add "or Planeswalker", but gets a lot more complicated with other spells if they want to keep the functionality the same.

Can Blightning have two targets now? Or does it say "that player or the controller of that planeswalker, discards two cards". Can you still hit Planeswalkers with stuff that deals damage to an opponent with a trigger, like Eidolon of the Great Revel or Guttersnipe?

Damn, that is going to need a buttload of errata.

A quick scan suggests there's over 500 different cards that would need to be reworded, lol.

But will they change things that prevent damage to you? I know it's a bit of a silly thing to worry about but this would be a functional change.

It'll be a big functional change no matter what as you'll have to declare the target at cast time.

That errata will make sense with most normal burn spells, you just add "or Planeswalker", but gets a lot more complicated with other spells if they want to keep the functionality the same.

Can Blightning have two targets now? Or does it say "that player or the controller of that planeswalker, discards two cards". Can you still hit Planeswalkers with stuff that deals damage to an opponent with a trigger, like Eidolon of the Great Revel or Guttersnipe?

Yuck, those are good points. This errata could get really hairy

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

You also have to somehow address how Healing Salve actually interacts with Lightning Bolt if you do that.

aidan

Yeah people really underestimate how much attention (and as a result, cash) the big streamers can bring in.

It's embarrassing when you look at the numbers for the top MTG streamers compared to the HS streamers

MTG

Kenji 57k followers / 7.6mil views
LSV: 40.8k followers / 1.2 mil views
Gaby: 37k followers / 900k views
MTG Goldfish: 29k followers / 450k views

Hearthstone

Amaz: 857k followers / 79.8 mil views
Thijs: 374k followers / 27 mil views
Kibler: 325k followers / 16.7mil views
Sjow: 186k followers / 20 mil views

Will Arena accomplish those types of numbers? Who knows. It'll certainly improve tremendously upon the current streaming situation. Especially if you can get someone like Amaz and Kibler to actively stream Arena.

Honestly, Kibler's defection to Hearthstone and his fairly openness in talking about it probably helped in the decision to make Arena.

Absolutely.

ultron87

I wonder if the easier choice would be to just make a lot of the indirect damage or burn with additional effects not hit Planeswalkers anymore. The bad optic there of course being that they'd be a huge hit to Red's ability to deal with another kind of permanent.

Aaron Forsythe bringing the realness as usual:

Forsythe said:
When we first created Planeswalkers, we made the hacky rule because we didn't want to issue errata when we weren't sure they'd stick around.

Yuck, those are good points. This errata could get really hairy

They'll just change it to work the same way regular damage does now and accept that it has corner case changes to a massive number of cards.

Will Arena accomplish those types of numbers?

Well I mean Amaz and Kibler will be streaming it so in a certain sense it's guaranteed to.

aidan

Well I mean Amaz and Kibler will be streaming it so in a certain sense it's guaranteed to.

Good call.

Have them stream the beta, and then give out a promo code that gets you instant access + an extra premade deck or boosters.

Wulfric

Making a good client is just one piece of a puzzle. Even the simplest game of Magic is more complex than most Hearthstone matches. I love playing Magic and can't see myself sitting down for a game of Arena during lunch. Even if they included a code for free boosters inside each booster box, MTG sorely lacks that "pick up and play" factor. WotC will need to woo some HS streamers with sponsorships if they want this thing to take off.

Aaron Forsythe bringing the realness as usual:

They'll just change it to work the same way regular damage does now and accept that it has corner case changes to a massive number of cards.

To me it seems like this is going to end up making things way more confusing instead of less confusing and/or will cause significant functional changes.

Blightning currently being able to kill Planeswalkers, but potentially not in the future unless there is a very specific wording change, isn't exactly a corner case. Same goes for stuff like Eidolon and Guttersnipe. Part of the reason cards like that are good is specifically because they can kill Planeswalkers.

Same also goes for stuff like Earthquake and Hurricane - granted, they weren't designed originally to be able to kill Planeswalkers, but now it's a major change in functionality

kirblar

To me it seems like this is going to end up making things way more confusing instead of less confusing and/or will cause significant functional changes.
Nah, the redirect rules are not good. It's a functional change to a bunch of edge-case cards, but stuff like Bolt and Blightning won't be affected.
Blightning currently being able to kill Planeswalkers, but potentially not in the future unless there is a very specific wording change, isn't exactly a corner case. Same goes for stuff like Eidolon and Guttersnipe. Part of the reason cards like that are good is specifically because they can kill Planeswalkers
Blightning is "Target Player". It would errata to "Target Player or Planeswalker."

The place where this is a real change is not Blightning, it's effects like Earthquake.

The planeswalker damage redirection rule should have been removed years ago. Glad they're finally biting the bullet and doing it now.

Blightning currently being able to kill Planeswalkers, but potentially not in the future unless there is a very specific wording change, isn't exactly a corner case. Same goes for stuff like Eidolon and Guttersnipe. Part of the reason cards like that are good is specifically because they can kill Planeswalkers

You could always just errata them so they work functionally the same way.

Justin

It cant be more confusing then currently trying to explain to a new player about damage redirection.

I have often heard Planeswalkers described to new players as a second player who is assisting you so it seems natural to say if an effect can target a player that is either you or your Planeswalker.

Nah, the redirect rules are not good. It's a functional change to a bunch of edge-case cards, but stuff like Bolt and Blightning won't be affected.

Blightning is "Target Player". It would errata to "Target Player or Planeswalker."

The place where this is a real change is not Blightning, it's effects like Earthquake.

You'd need more than that, because under this wording, the player would no longer discard two cards if you targeted the Planeswalker

You could always just errata them so they work functionally the same way.

Well yeah, but then that means the errata is really hairy, and more complex than just adding "...or planeswalker" to a bunch of cards

Horizon Canopy at Rare should deflate the price that it's no longer borderline insane.

Still holding out for Vial, Hierarch, and other goodies.

Edit: wrt to Planes Walker rule, I think it's much more flavorful to say "Target Planeswalker". The idea is that you are a Planeswalker, as is your opponent.

I'm not saying the redirection rule is good, it's not, but it at least slotted in easily to existing mechanics (and mechanics printed since then). It's just that either you're going to make it be effectively the redirection rule in drag or you're going to change a lot about how it works for cards that currently damage all players/opponents and the like.

*That Player (or Planeswalker's controller) discards two cards

Okay, but my point is that this is either a major undertaking in terms of implementing errata, which will require significant card-specific wording updates, OR it's a major functionality change for a whole host of cards. This is not going to be a simple fix

aidan

Horizon Canopy at Rare should deflate the price that it's no longer borderline insane.

Still holding out for Vial, Hierarch, and other goodies.

Edit: wrt to Planes Walker rule, I think it's much more flavorful to say "Target Planeswalker". The idea is that you are a Planeswalker, as is your opponent.

After Horizon Canopy, Noble Hierarch is tops on my wishlist.

(Can you tell I have a Bant deck that's running sub-optimal cards?)

ultron87

I guess you'd do it with two "rules" that would handle most stuff:

1) If a spell or ability targets a player and its only effect is damage, it can now also target a Planeswalker.

2) If a spell or ability damages a player without targeting, or targets and deals damage in addition to other effects, it now reads "deals _ damage to target player/each player/that player/etc or a Planeswalker that player controls."

y2dvd

Yaaaaaasssss Mana Drain. I'll take one for EDH!

I can't recall the community being this excited about MtG in general for awhile. WotC are nailing it.

kirblar

Okay, but my point is that this is either a major undertaking in terms of implementing errata, which will require significant card-specific wording updates, OR it's a major functionality change for a whole host of cards. This is not going to be a simple fix
It is a major undertaking of errata, but it's also a major simplification of rules, both IRL and on MTGO/Arena. There's big upside to doing this.

Chupacabra! All those cryptid-obsessed anime characters rejoice!

From Burning Sun's Avatar's wording, I guess they're ignoring the corner case of a player having hexproof also protecting their planeswalkers from targeted player damage.

Top Bottom