• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

I didn't say PWs are always the most powerful cards in a set. They are terrible for limited because they skew more towards bombs in general and because they always warp how the game is played. That's a good thing in constructed, I absolutely love PWs in constructed magic, but in limited the answers are much more creature slanted and a resolved planeswalker makes the game more about protecting/killing it than anything else.
The player with the PW gets the incentive to just sit there and accrue value over time while the player opposing it has to overextend themselves to get rid of it.

Went to my first pre-release in 17 years...yay :) (Was nice to see i wasn't the only "old" guy in the store).

Went 2-0-3 :| Oh well, at won 2 rounds against experienced players so not that bad, or at least i tell that myself.

Anyway, someone played that Blood Fast card against me which reminds me a bit of Necropotence.

I really liked it, wonder if there's going to be a deck that uses it ? I guess vampires will use it but that seems more of a 'beatdown' deck rather than control...

Edit: now to buy acessories to play again ... sleeves, deckboxes, dice, counters...oh and cards maybe :p

DrArchon

The new Jace is fine too. Strong for 3 mana but far from unbeatable. A resolved Vraska or even Huatli, though, is brutal.

Yeah. Like 99% of the reason new Jace looks even playable in constructed is because you can get him out on turn 3, and that's almost never going to happen in limited. That and the only way you can get benefit from ticking him up required hitting the opponent every turn, which unless you got a couple of River Sneaks for some reason doesn't seem likely.

Making 2/2s seems great for limited though. Ain't no one gonna spend a spell on a token in limited.

Firemind

Haha, nice user name. ^^

I didn't say PWs are always the most powerful cards in a set. They are terrible for limited because they skew more towards bombs in general and because they always warp how the game is played. That's a good thing in constructed, I absolutely love PWs in constructed magic, but in limited the answers are much more creature slanted and a resolved planeswalker makes the game more about protecting/killing it than anything else.
The player with the PW gets the incentive to just sit there and accrue value over time while the player opposing it has to overextend themselves to get rid of it.
It could be worse. I just faced Reveillark and Body Double in Modern cube. There's literally no way for me to kill them lol

Aaaaaand goodbye Modern cube.

Justin

that art!

DKk7cEcW0AEilTO.jpg:large

DrArchon

It always confused me as to why Doran has this big dinosaur tail dragging across the ground. Makes him look like a Tree-Kaiju. I don't remember any of the other Lorwyn treefolk having tails either.

Firemind

that is true for a lot of cards from lorwyn-shadowmore block, treefolk were abzan in Lorwyn so they got an abzan legend.
It shouldn't happen now with a modern design blueprint, should it? I mean, faeries stayed U/B, goblins B/R, kithkin Bant, merfolk Esper. Red got shitty 5c elementals. It was pretty imbalanced lol

DrArchon

Dealing with the Bolas Planeswalker drives me crazy. What are some good G/W cards to deal with him?

Any white enchantment that exiles nonland permanents (Cast Out, etc) will do it.

Best solution though is to just win before they play him. He costs 7 mana with three colors after all.

does wizards think judges only play EDH?

EDH was invented by Judges and if you're a high level judge you are specifically choosing to do something that directly competes with your ability to play in high-level constructed events, so, yeah, they kind of do think that and they're not totally wrong to do so.

That said, most of the top-priced non-reserved cards (including many constructed players) have gotten Judge promos at some point, they just don't want to burn through eight of those a year since they're a much more limited resource than "major Legend or casual card that will go for $50 with foil alt-art."

Justin

EDH was invented by Judges and if you're a high level judge you are specifically choosing to do something that directly competes with your ability to play in high-level constructed events, so, yeah, they kind of do think that and they're not totally wrong to do so.

That said, most of the top-priced non-reserved cards (including many constructed players) have gotten Judge promos at some point, they just don't want to burn through eight of those a year since they're a much more limited resource than "major Legend or casual card that will go for $50 with foil alt-art."

Here is the other judge card revealed today. Looks like the Portal Version goes for $360

DKlEuRAX0AEquYw.jpg:large

Dealing with the Bolas Planeswalker drives me crazy. What are some good G/W cards to deal with him?

Green doesn't really "deal" with planeswalkers, it's about getting bigger creatures out sooner and thus, hypothetically, just being able to smash their faces after they hit the board.

If you're playing Green and don't have a significant board advantage by the time Bolas comes down, you're donezo.

Or, I suppose, to put it another way: Carnage Tyrant.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Green doesn't really "deal" with planeswalkers, it's about getting bigger creatures out sooner and thus, hypothetically, just being able to smash their faces after they hit the board.

If you're playing Green and don't have a significant board advantage by the time Bolas comes down, you're donezo.

Or, I suppose, to put it another way: Carnage Tyrant.

Yeah, I'm noticing. Though the W cards should help.

traveler

Not Wario
I liked the old Doran art, but that promo is gorgeous. It's a smart commander print too, as the Lorwyn legends are fairly scarce by modern set standards and Doran just received a bunch of support in the GW dinos that share his theme.

Yeah, I think I should just realize (and stop asking stupid ?s) that with the right strategy, nothing is really "bad."

Nah, it's a reasonable question.

You can make a good mono-color deck, but most good decks are two- or even three-color. Mono-color is mainly for when you need an incredible amount of consistency to make sure everything you want is happening on a specific timeframe (Red Deck Wins/Burn/Aggro), or just rare cases where you put a deck together and realize what you're getting from a second color isn't even worth running over what you get in a single color (Mono-Black Zombies).

It has nothing to do with the effect. Portal: Three Kingdoms had a very small print run, with the English printing not even being in the US. That creates high demand for the unique cards in it.

Yeah, you can't underestimate either how much demand Highlander formats like Commander and Cube create for duplicates of the same effect or how much weird and unusual printings are desirable to people who like to trick out their stuff.

I's weird how Wizards puts mill cards into what seems like every set when it rarely works out to be useful for other strategies and never ever works in limited and rarely in standard.
The powerlevel is seldomly high enough for EDH or Modern as well.

traveler

Not Wario
Played in the first of the Ixalan sealed PPTQs today and won, so need to set aside time on the first to have a go at the real deal. I don't master limited formats as well as others, but I do find that I adapt and learn quickly, (there's also the surge of non MTGO regulars, which aren't quite as hard...) so early days are really the best shot I have at making it through sealed pptqs. Had a pretty trash pool too.

Pool:

Curious what yall would have done. This is what I built:

Good removal and the territorial hammerskulls carried the day. I rotated Arguel's and Raider's Wake in depending on some matchups, but found them pretty bad on the whole. Actually boarded in both costly plunders in the final match to deal with opponents mind control sorcery and it actually worked.

Tunoku

I's weird how Wizards puts mill cards into what seems like every set when it rarely works out to be useful for other strategies and never ever works in limited and rarely in standard.
The powerlevel is seldomly high enough for EDH or Modern as well.

The format “Kitchen Table™“ is proooobably bigger than EDH.

Played in the first of the Ixalan sealed PPTQs today and won, so need to set aside time on the first to have a go at the real deal. I don't master limited formats as well as others, but I do find that I adapt and learn quickly, (there's also the surge of non MTGO regulars, which aren't quite as hard...) so early days are really the best shot I have at making it through sealed pptqs. Had a pretty trash pool too.

What is that program/ website you used here? I want to use this for some theorycrafting.

duxstar

How the hell do you run a dinosaur deck and not have 1 copy of carnage tyrant which is uncounterable and dodges almost all the removal in the set. Meanwhile you have 2 copies of Gishath , which can be countered and hit with removal.

2 copies of walking ballista , when its literaly the best card draw engine in your deck with either Ripjaw Raptor or
Ranging Raptor.

Tunoku

Pool:

Curious what yall would have done. This is what I built:

Good removal and the territorial hammerskulls carried the day. I rotated Arguel's and Raider's Wake in depending on some matchups, but found them pretty bad on the whole. Actually boarded in both costly plunders in the final match to deal with opponents mind control sorcery and it actually worked.

Congrats! I'm surprised you didn't go with red here though. You have a pretty nice selection of aggressive 2s that go well alongside your Hammerskull.

Justin

How the hell do you run a dinosaur deck and not have 1 copy of carnage tyrant which is uncounterable and dodges almost all the removal in the set. Meanwhile you have 2 copies of Gishath , which can be countered and hit with removal.

2 copies of walking ballista , when its literaly the best card draw engine in your deck with either Ripjaw Raptor or
Ranging Raptor.

Even pros dont want to spend $30 on Carnage Tyrant

Serious answer is that it is a sideboard card and they only are showing maindecks.

As for Ballista they have two Samuts which can also ping but has the versatility of giving doublestrike and tutoring up your creatures if she gets enough loyalty. Seems like an interesting build and I like when they make decks that use the "bad" Plansewalkers. Isnt going to win a GP but would be fun at FNM/Showdown.

Top Bottom