• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #64 - "Into The Unknown"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DumbNameD

Theme - "Into The Unknown"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, December 30, 2010, and goes until Sunday, January 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Mandatory Secondary Objective: Write something, and enter it!
Optional Secondary Objective: Have yourself a happy holiday season.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Iceman

Cyan said:
Too fuckin right.

Cool theme, DND. Was just listening to that BR album yesterday. ;)

Ha! Just saw Bad Religion for the first time (thirty years late to the party) in San Diego two sundays ago.

I'll start on my story immediately after work, guys. I am double dang determined to get a complete story in by week's end.

Ashes

Banned
I have an idea, and I think I might be first out the gate again, as I want to get this out before Christmas... I'm thinking maybe war... or setting out into a new life... perhaps, I don't know...

I'll brainstorm tonight at work and get the thing written out, when I get home...

Irish

Interesting. There's an idea floating around in my head that I think could be great, but I'm sure I'll find a way to mess it up badly.

Also, I think that mandatory secondary objective may be a little too hard. I'm not sure I can pull it off.

Yeef

I don't know if I'm gonna go for the secondary objective. Seems a bit rough. :p

I'm still finishing up my entry from the last contest; still planning to post it up for critique (been busy, gonna try to finish tomorrow). Would you guys prefer if I posted in this thread or will you actually check the other thread if I post it there?

ronito

I totally am drawing a blank here. Usually on the first day I throw out at least three ideas as cliche. So far the only thing I've thrown out is something about an astronaut.

If patterns hold true I'll probably end up sitting this one out.

Ashes

Banned
Yeef said:
I don't know if I'm gonna go for the secondary objective. Seems a bit rough. :p

I'm still finishing up my entry from the last contest; still planning to post it up for critique (been busy, gonna try to finish tomorrow). Would you guys prefer if I posted in this thread or will you actually check the other thread if I post it there?

What's holding you back from posting it in both?

ronito said:
I totally am drawing a blank here. Usually on the first day I throw out at least three ideas as cliche. So far the only thing I've thrown out is something about an astronaut.

Suprise your self. :p

Yeef

ronito said:

Allow yourself to sit on it for a day or two and something will come to you. If worst comes to worst do an actual brainstorming session. It helps.

Ashes1396 said:
What's holding you back from posting it in both?
It seems like extra clutter to me, but I suppose I could do that.

Cyan

Banned
ronito said:
Not an option. Didn't you see the secondary?

Yeef said:
Better to post in here.

Ashes

Banned
Yeef said:
Allow yourself to sit on it for a day or two and something will come to you. If worst comes to worst do an actual brainstorming session. It helps.

It seems like extra clutter to me, but I suppose I could do that.

I meant: 'post the link' :lol
ps, on that note did you see this post?

pps. I don't think you can take stuff offline, so just be aware of that as welll..

Yeef

I hadn't, but if people really prefer dedicated pages for stories I have my own domain so I could put it up as an HTML file without much trouble.

ronito said:

Astronaut's eh...I like being original, but that's an idea I hadn't even considered before and frankly, you've got me thinking in that direction now

Ashes

Banned
Yeef said:
I hadn't, but if people really prefer dedicated pages for stories I have my own domain so I could put it up as an HTML file without much trouble.

It was about readibility iirc. So yeah, link to a html file, if it's easier to read... I don't know whether it's against Neogaf's T&C's though... so best ask a mod about it, just to make sure...

ronito

Zoramon089 said:
Astronaut's eh...I like being original, but that's an idea I hadn't even considered before and frankly, you've got me thinking in that direction now
I just threw away my second idea. Unknown being death. That too has been done to death. So eh, maybe I'll get past my three today after all.

ronito said:
I just threw away my second idea. Unknown being death. That too has been done to death. So eh, maybe I'll get past my three today after all.
Oddly enough, all I can think about is Al Roker in space.

Yeef

Ashes1396 said:
It was about readibility iirc. So yeah, link to a html file, if it's easier to read... I don't know whether it's against Neogaf's T&C's though... so best ask a mod about it, just to make sure...
I doubt it's against the terms to link to web pages on NeoGaf. if it was just about everyone would be banned.

ronito said:
Here's some inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDly1Oc_P4

Moving Forward (1787 words) Tidypub Version

I catch myself staring at my shoes on the speckled blue carpet. How long had I been standing there? I look up and around me. I'm standing in line to go see a movie. I must be. After all, there's a ticket in my hand.

I'm here by myself, of course. Whatever confluence of events led my friends to not show up, it doesn't matter. It's just my luck. I look over at the people walking by and notice that some of the faces look vaguely familiar. That's nothing new. I've been here many times before. They even have the same Christmas decorations up as they did last year.

I check out some of the girls. They're wearing school uniforms, which seems out of place. I don't know why, but I never really "got" why some guys find them sexy. Apparently, these uniforms represent some sort of innocence perverted, like the naughty librarian. To me, it's all bubblegum, high-pitched giggling, insecurity and idiotic teenage drama - certainly nothing that gets me in the mood. Maybe my own awkward teenage experiences have traumatised me, though. Maybe other guys had it better.

Between a gap in the bobbing heads I see something I recognise. My chest tightens. It's a messy tangle of curly dark hair piled on high in not-quite-a-beehive, held together with nothing but a single hairclip... and inscrutable magic too, I'd be inclined to bet. This is the sort of hair that seems scruffy and not fit for going out in until you see the face underneath it. Damn it, though. Why here? Why now when I'm alone?

She steps into view and I hold my breath for a second. I refuse to gasp. She doesn't deserve that. God she's beautiful. A lock of her hair drapes lazily across her face, drawing attention to those dark, cheeky eyes and a prim smile. She has a secret, those eyes say, and it's scandalous. The straight, clean line of her jaw is taken from another age, an age when women such as she were immortalised in painted marble.

Yes, she's a goddess, I'm forced to admit this to myself. It isn't fair. Were there any justice in this world, were it that the outer likeness had any relation to the inner, she would be hideous. For all the pain she's caused me, she ought to be a frightful gorgon who turns men into stone and leaves snowfalls in her wake.

She's wearing purple, I realise - it's a very light colour and something about it seems all too routine, like I've seen it many times before. On her, and surrounded by dark uniforms, it's radiant. Her path leads her right toward me. Now's my chance. I intend to give her a piece of my mind.

No wait, she's walking past me! What's this? I recognise her across a crowded chamber by her hair alone and she doesn't even see me? No, this will not do. I reach out and grab her arm. Her head turns in surprise and I watch as recognition dawns.

"Hi," I say.

"Oh hi!" Her face has lit up. I certainly didn't expect this. For crying out loud woman, you should be awkward and ashamed! This isn't how it is meant to go. "I haven't seen you in ages! What has it been? A year?"

"Three, actually. Yeah, it's been a while." I am annoyed, though my voice doesn't show it.

"It's been too long," she says, pausing to wet her lips like she used to do. "Hey, it's a good thing I ran into you. I'm going to this Christmas party later and it'd be great if you could come along."

I'm taken aback. What brought this behaviour on? Who just invites their ex to a party on a whim? Something was wrong. "What? Really?" This was all I could manage as I squinted at her.

"Of course! You could keep me company." She smiled and swayed on the balls of her feet in that coquettish way she used to, letting the bottom of her dress swish to and fro.

Now I notice that something is very off about her whole look. It had been there the whole time but it wasn't obvious to me until now. I scan her up and down looking for some clue as to what that might be. I'm struck again at how good she looks. Maybe a little too good.

"Sure, if your boyfriend doesn't mind."

"Oh, no. No boyfriend." She smiles wryly. "Not yet, at least."

It's her body, I realise. It's all wrong. Beneath the figure-hugging purple dress, her breasts are just a bit too big and her hips far too small. She might've lost weight since we last saw one another, but there's no way her body type would have changed, not without expensive and traumatic surgery. Her dress, the colour of lavender, or jacaranda or fuschia or something (I'm terrible with colours) is something I know I've seen before as well. Hanging in my closet, as a matter of fact.

Wait a minute. That's insane. I'm not into that sort of thing. Why would that just pop into my head?

"Oh? Weren't you going out with some guy named Jamie or Johnny or something? I remember hearing about that."

"Yeah, but we broke up. It's Christmas! I need someone to come with me!" She's very blasé about it.

And she's tall, I notice. Too tall. I have to turn my face up to look into her eyes. When we were dating, she might've looked taller than me when she wore heels and piled her hair up, but it was never like this. Come to think of it, she never wore clothes like this. This dress was built for women with figures much more willowy than hers.

"Alright then. I'll come along. Are you sure it won't be weird with your friends or anything?"

"Screw 'em," she said. "If it's weird, that's their problem."

That didn't sound like her at all. When we were dating, I'd had disagreements with her friends and she'd always sided with them over me. Her words don't sound like her at all. In fact, she sounds more like...

Me.

Shit. I'm dreaming. I must be. Now it makes sense. Her body, her dress, her height, her demeanour toward me - it's all some projection of my subconsious, a mish-mash of memory and fantasy. She's an apparition reading some memorised script, telling me what I want to hear, telling me only what I already know. Oh well, better make the most of it.

"Hey, listen. I need to talk to you. Tell you something important."

"Oh yeah? What's that? Will I like it?" She tilts her head to make sheep eyes and smiles, showing her long teeth. They're slightly crooked. I remember that. They say you can't dream about faces you've never seen. I don't know how true that is, but it strikes me how every detail about her face is true to life.

"You probably won't like it, no."

"Oh?" She stops grinning, reverting to a prim smile. "How come?"

I take a breath. "You hurt me, Angela. You hurt me bad and left me so messed up, I couldn't get over you for more than a year. Hell, maybe I'm still not over you." I'd said it angrily. Her smile is gone.

"Oh OK." She takes a step back.

"How could you do that to a person? What made you think it was a good idea? You strung me along for months, made me open up to you, made me love you and you turn around and leave me because your damn high school friends don't like me? Are you even friends with them anymore? Do you even see them now? I bet they've all gone their separate ways and all they are to you is a voice on the phone that says I'm really busy but we should totally catch up one of these days."

I'm ranting, but I don't care. She needs to hear it, even just as a dream. Moreover, I need to say it. I never got a chance to. She's taken several steps back now and she's turning around and walking away upset.

Suddenly, despite myself, I regret being so harsh. "Mellie, wait!" I cry.

Mellie. I know the name is wrong even as I say it. Mellie, the nickname I gave my wife. Mellie, the woman I love. Mellie, the real owner of that purple dress hanging in my closet.

I look around me and realise that everything in this place is something from my past. Every face there I recognise, even if I hadn't noticed the person before. Angela is on the phone now, talking to her mother no doubt. How do I know that? I'm inside my head. I just do. I have stopped caring what she does.

Suddenly I feel bad for agreeing to go with Angela to the party. I feel guilty for my attraction, even if it was in a dream. I know what waits for me down the road if I were to go back to Angela - the same heartbreak, the same problems as before. She was too young when we dated, our perspectives were too different. I know what madness lies on that path. I know all about the claustrophobia, frustration and resentment that follows.

I am happy with my wife, I remind myself. I rarely felt happy with Angela. I felt excitement and the thrill of possibility, yes, but never happiness. I fell in love with an ideal version of her and that doppelganger haunts my dreams. I could revel in those dreams, or try to make them true in real life, but it'd always be the same. I know how it'll go every time.

My eyes open. That is to say, my real eyes. I blink once or twice and sit upright. Mellie lies next to me curled up, and, disturbed by the movement mumbles something indistinct. I lean over and kiss her on the cheek.

"What was that?" I whisper.

"I said, is it Christmas morning yet?"

I snort back a chortle. "Yes, it is."

"Good. OK, I'm going back to sleep now." Yawning like a cat, she settled back into the land of nod.

I watch her for a while and feel guilty for dreaming about another woman on the eve of our first Christmas as a married couple. There are parts of the past I still need to let go of, I think. The thing about the past is that you know the story already. I need to look to the future where you don't know how it'll end. I like that better.

Grr, everytime I read a story written by anyone here, my own inadequacies when it comes to writing become extremely apparent to me...

Irish

Zoramon089 said:
Grr, everytime I read a story written by anyone here, my own inadequacies when it comes to writing become extremely apparent to me...

You could try reading only my stories. You'll be like, "Wow, I can't possibly be that bad." and then you would submit an amazing story for all of us to read.

Cyan

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Turns out that as you practice, you get better! Strange but true. :p

Ashes

Banned
Irish said:
You could try reading only my stories. You'll be like, "Wow, I can't possibly be that bad." and then you would submit an amazing story for all of us to read.

Then he ought not to read your latest stuf... :p

TinyPub version
I will be Exhale, calm as I set Sail
Word Count: 1960

… is what I would like to think right now. Just a glimpse of some ship and a star-crossed horizon meant to marry me to its sight and shower it with affection. I would be on its prow, staring ahead into an impossible distance with no boundaries, just the constant sway of the sea and warm winds...

Distance design.
Innocent candygirl.
Estranged widow.

I think a part of me is breaking here. I'm putting words and sentences together - fragmented, disjointed, coming apart at the seams - and I'm trying to sew them together with the yarn in my head but it's running out, I need to buy more where's a store -

Let me collect for a second, even though I feel like I'm reiterating this story to myself, and I think I am, actually. You see, I'm freezing to death in a small little ice cave way up Mt. Everest. This happens, sometimes, when people such as myself get caught up here. The first thing that tends to go is your body — you start to lose feeling in the limbs, wishing they were there and seeing them n' all but you can't move them for shit and they're slowly acquiring frostbite by the day. No matter how much protection you have, you can't save yourself from everything, especially when you're above the stratosphere.

At least I can say I made it that far. I passed by a bunch of parkas on my way up here, remnants of people who'd died on their way up here just as I think I might do myself right now. They, too, got trapped up here and this high up you're almost shit outta luck to get help or rescue, because even that's too dangerous and we have fuckin' helicopters nowadays.

Anyway, second thing to go is your mind — on a caramel-infused ride through candyland — and you begin to think in obscure, esoteric terms, as your mind begins to slowly lose its grip on what makes real real and what makes fake fake. The two begin to blend into some strange cocktail that when you drink it, your perception goes outta whack and you feel drunk and the world flips upside down.

Now you're walking on the ceiling and people are pointing and staring and you flip 'em off but they don't care. Anyway, the lack of oxygen (which is about a third of what it is at sea level, mind you) does strange things to you. I mean, first and foremost it means your body is not going to get nearly enough of the good stuff to stay alive, so you can't be up here very long. I'm pretty sure I've been here a full day, at best. It's too cold to check the time, and I think my watch froze.

See, I'm trying my best to tell you how this all fucking works but my mind is just leaping all over like some crazed cocaine-addict rabbit trying to find the hole to fall down through and wind up in fairy-fucking-Alice-land.

Dissonant choirs.
Jubilee disasters.
Pop boulders.

But the third thing is the worst. The complete lack of communication with anyone. If you do this shit alone (you got less liabilities if you do), and you get trapped like me? There's very little chance anyone else will find ya up here. A lotta people attempt to climb this place per year, and when you get up here, the last thing you'll wanna do is help someone else out, even if he looks like he's dying. Let me try and recall the faces I saw climbing past me. There were like three.

First dude: Reddish-blue parka. Asian, some flavor of that, I couldn't tell. Probably Chinese? Who cares. Anyway, even though we never had a conversation, I envisioned it like this:

"Are you okay?" He would say in some Asian language. And I'd somehow understand because fuck if I know, I'm delirious as hell.

"Help... get me out... of here..." I'd weakly speak, because I'd somehow remember that my tongue exists.

And he would look at me like I'd said some sacreligious word and without a second glance continue past me, leaving me behind to die in this ice prison. I mean, basically that's how our exchange went: He saw me, figured me for dead, despite my eyes blinking amidst the hurricane-force winds battering my little den, then he continued on.

Second dude: Russian guy, heavily fur-covered black parka, a real gruff look to his face. He was the one who stayed the longest. He even wandered into my little home without so much as knocking (the nerve of some fuckin' people), and I'm pretty sure he spoke English because he kept asking, "You ok?" and I couldn't answer because by then half my face was starting to turn black and blue and cold as fucking hell. My tongue, like I stated just a second ago, had already given up trying to help me out here.

I remember seeing in his eyes some rare concern, something you really don't see in people anymore. I mean, I'm just some guy named Edward Simmons and he's just some other guy attempting the toughest climate a human can experience. He's the one stopping to help me. I wanted to tell him, "Whatever you can do, please, get me out of here, get me further down where it's warm. Get me someplace where I can maybe feel my fingers again. I miss my fucking fingers, man."

But to him, just like Asian dude from before, I was dead as anything else up here, a lifeless filled-out parka with a buncha climbing gear (of which Russian dude took some, the motherfucker). Except I wanted to have him take me outta here. I could see in his brown-green eyes that if he could stop the world for just one fucking second he'd pull me outta here, take me back home, make sure I didn't die.

But there's a saying — and I can't remember it at the moment.

Third dude: I swear he was pretty much Santa Claus. Okay, maybe not, but all my memories make it seem like he was. He was the last dude I've seen so far, and that must have been hours ago. He was a blonde dude with a red-and-white parka, with thick goggles over his eyes and a dense scarf bolted to the lower part of his face.

"Sup dude? You need a lift?" He'd ask me in some stereotypical... wait... fuckin' Santa Claus wouldn't talk like that!

Re-re-rewind the tape. I wanna start over, this recording's all fucked up.

"Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas!" He'd yell in some booming loud voice and I'd shiver even though I'm already cold, fucking crazy right?

And I'd answer back, "Santa! What kinda presents you got for me this year?!"

"A trip to Hell, sonny boy!" And he'd laugh and cackle and look at me with his solid-red cheeks because the dude's all fat and plumpy, and then his eyes would get this evil glow and horns would sprout up from his head, tearing through the Santa Claus cap, injecting a little doom into its fibers, and then...

Overnight base jump.
Parasail rockslide.
Aquifer dreams.

As you can see, the mind is the most important part here. Without it, well, you might as well just kill yourself. I'm pretty close to doing so, myself, but I still have that natural instinct to stay alive and pop out a couple kids or whatever the hell else society demands of some worthy male such as myself. Though the kids part might be a little rough 'cuz if I come outta this I'm gonna be scarred, have less fingers, have some mangled-ass face. They say personality can still charm, right? I'm sure the ladies would love my carcass of a nose or the two fingers I have left on my right hand. Maybe I should look into girls who are as disfigured as I am... quid pro quo right??

So the last dude, well, he exemplifies everything that could happen up here. For me, stuck here, I am imprisoned not only in this icy death chamber, but I'm also stuck with my own mind, a brain that can't even get enough oxygen to work right. I'm thinking in all these haphazard, random ways, envisioning that I'm writing this all down on some typewriter in the sky with the star of Altair as my lofty chair and the belt of Orion as my desk. The writing creates supernovas and explosions and worlds collide and shatter, and all that was once old is now new again; modernity wins again, fuck yeah. Bits and pieces, man, bits and pieces... bits and pieces of sanity. The last dude did a good thing, leaving me here. Up here, so very fucking high it even hurts to blink? For him, going on and getting as high as you can is the goal. Because even if he could save me? He'd be risking his own life, too. There's no guarantee that just because some random dude cherry-picked from some part of the globe discovering my now-decaying body would be able to get me down. You either keep going, or you die. That's the motto.

I can almost feel the waves, lapping up along the sides of my little boat, cruising through warm coastal waters. The water wants to meet me and I want to meet it, as it hungrily reaches up to me. What I'd give to just dive into its nourishing all-encompassing bear hug, splash around and let my longish curly hair get completely drenched. What I'd give to feel my fingers again, or my toes. Or my legs.

It's cold up here. It's so cold it hurts to think. But I keep typing because I have nothing else left. This is the pieces of — sanity? insanity? inanity? inundation? — the parts of me — distraught; dangerous, cold; unknown and unkept, nobody's maker; all creation is over and God is dead?

There is a religion up here, I'm sure of it. We pray every night that the unflinching justice of the mountain won't take our lives away from us. We pray that when that judge way up at the top hands down his sacred Mandala decree that the gods will shine down upon us and keep us safe. Even prayers are not enough, though. They never are. There's only the path, and the path never diverts or strays because it's clear enough to all that it's just... up. Up and up and up, all the way up until you reach that golden point where several others have already made it and you join them in their fucking pantheon of mountain gods.

I'm pretty sure my arms are totally numb now. I'm curled in the fetal position, probably because my oxygen-deprived head thought it'd be some wonderful poetic irony to die as I was born. But then I hear something, a rustling of a parka, and a pair of eyes once again meeting mine.

It's a woman, this time, and she looks English or perhaps some Western country and she burrows her way into meet me, and she begins to talk. It's all a blur and I can't make anything out of it:

"Oh my god, okay, we need to get you warm somehow. My friends are just down the way, we can get you down to at least another thousand meter—"

But then I hear it. I hear it over her constant stream of talking. I hear that wonderful release coming to save me from this place.

I hear the silent roar of the avalanche.

Ashes

Banned
“Court Marshall” or “The Last Letter”
by Ashes1396

Summary:

A soldier, having learnt of his wife's request for divorce, writes of his experiances to this wife, in what is possibly his last letter.

Link...

'Aww, crap' he muttered in desperation as the bus zoomed away from him. He turned around to find a stern old man standing under a shop awning giving him an odd look, and walked over to the timetable to see how long he'd have to wait for another bus. He traced his finger down the chart, leaning forward to read the minuscule text. 12:00, 12:25, 12:50 must of been the one he just missed, leaving another 25 minutes until the next at 13:15.

He looked around at the unfamiliar shop fronts surrounding him, and peered up at the heavy grey sky. At least it wasn't raining. Rummaging his hand around in his coat pocket, he produced the last of his money and bent his head down to count the coins... should be enough for a drink on top of the bus fare. Just about.

Already regretting it and ignoring that regret, he scanned his side of the road for a cheap-looking newsagent and settled on one a block before the bus stop in the direction he had come from. Making his way there slowly, he stared down at the slabs of dirty grey concrete that followed him as he walked. His legs ached so deeply that he wouldn't be surprised if they just stopped working, but there was nothing that could be done about it and he tried to think about something else. His mind quickly settled, as it often did, on sex.

He reached the junction just as the lights turned red and stopped to wait, annoyed at the interruption of his thoughts. It was not his lucky day. Come to think of it, luck had been absent most of his life - absent when whoever the fuck his parents were decided to put him up for adoption, absent when no-one did, absent when he turned 18 and got his first job as a waiter only to be made redundant after 2 months when the hotel shut down.

He chuckled and crossed the road. People just didn't realise how lucky they were. And he supposed he should be thankful as well; he may be homeless, but at least he was homeless in a first world country, not a favela in Brazil or a mudhut village in Africa. The theory of relativity 2.0, courtesy of me. Ha.

The front of the newsagent was murky glass and plastered with stickers advertising phonecards and travel passes and SIM cards and warnings of 24-hour CCTV cameras and signs saying how they wouldn't sell x to anyone under age y. He pushed open the door to find a shop keeper behind his counter at the far end, opposite him, and rows of products between them. The shopkeeper gave him a hard stare and looked up at the TV attached to the wall to the right of him, on it a video showing both of them. No, he wasn't here to rob the shop. Instead, he made his way to the fridge containing the drinks and opened the door, taking out as cheap a can of beer as he could spot.

Turning back to the man as he shut the fridge door, he fished his money out of his pocket and slid it all on the counter along with the beer, letting the balding Indian-looking man in front of him count what was his to keep. The money was all that was left from a businessman he had mugged a week ago. It was a dirty business, mugging, but he always tried to pick richer-looking targets who wouldn't feel the loss. They also tended to have more money. Additionally, he made care never to accept credit cards, not only out of kindness but also because if you took them you were far more likely to get reported to the police, and eventually caught. This businessman in particular had looked at him with a petrified stare and seemed almost glad to hand over his money and escape the subway.

The balding shopkeeper awakened him from his memory by bidding him a good day with all the glaring mistrust of a policeman telling a criminal he's free to go at the end of his prison sentence. He could do with some new clothes and a wash - people were much nicer when they thought he was just a normal human being with a job and a house and all those brilliant normal things. True, he got just as many looks of pity as antagonism, but pity made him feel uneasy, and it was a look none the less. What he really wanted was for people to ignore him, like they so easily do each other.

That thought reminded him of the time he tried begging, sitting at the side of the road with a little cardboard sign propped beside him kindly asking for spare change. It was humiliating beyond belief, and he soon scraped up his pitiful winnings and spent them on a hot meal.

A green man greeted him as he reached the junction and he crossed unimpeded.

The old man under the awning was gone and the bus stop was deserted. He heard a rumble behind him as he arrived at the stop and looked around to see a bus crawling up to meet him. It wasn't the one he had planned to take, but the clouds looked darker than ever and he decided to get on anyway. The destination didn't matter as long as it was a fair distance away - he would take the buses as far as they went. They were warm and cheap and immune to the elements and he liked sitting on the window seats and looking out on the world. If he had enough time, he would even try and grab a bit of sleep. The warmth and rhythm of the engine made it easy to nod off into slumber.

The bus pulled up beside him and the doors slid open. He climbed up and placed his remaining money into the dish, mumbling something about keeping the near-nonexistant change and then making his way to the back of the bus, where there was no one to make him feel uncomfortable or give him looks. The bus was almost empty, with only a few passengers dotted here and there along the side as he walked up to the back. When he got there he collapsed on the window seat and hugged his coat tightly around him.

As the bus accelerated, he peered out the window and watched as the world sped past; shops giving way to houses, houses giving way to green countryside.

His eyelids drooped and fell, giving way to dreams.

EDIT: To clarify, I was thinking that the theme of 'Into The Unknown' was akin to stepping into the shoes of a homeless person, not just going from the real world to dreams.

My attempt at a short story

Grasshopper
1914 words
Tidypub version

“So she asked me, how could I ever love her if I didn't love myself? I didn't have an answer...so she left.”

“Man, that's tough. So that's what all this is about?”

“Yeah. Well, sort of.”

“Still seems a bit, err, reckless, dontcha think?”

“Well, in retrospect, just a bit,” I laughed. I tried once again to start up my Grasshopper, but the engine's only response was a few sputters and then silence. I rested my chin on the handlebars and sighed. It had only been a week since I started this...journey of mine. I didn't really know where I was going, or what I was going to accomplish, but it was something I needed to do. I felt my world up till now was too cramped, too controlled.

I was the heir to a large mining corporation on Mars, the third biggest on the planet. The company owned a couple of the ten major pumps which collected water from beneath the planets surface and from the polar ice caps. My father, being the president, naturally meant that I would be his successor when he retired but, it wasn't really my thing. I had no interest in the politics of it, and to be honest, the whole thing just bored me, so I took off.

Some might have called it an act of recklessness, and I'd agree. Others would call it selfishness, which, I guess, was also true. I was basically dodging responsibility but, it was a responsibility that was shoved onto me, that I had no choice in inheriting. It wasn't fair. So here I was, sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, on a broken motorbike I had taken off on.

“So, can you help me?” I asked the trucker once more.

He thought about my question and considered my story before asking, “What was her name?”

I blinked deliberately, considering whether to recall the name of the woman who had been the final straw that prompted the trip. She had been a friend who had started turning into something more, or so I thought. To her, we were still close friends but, to me, that wasn't enough. That couldn't have been the extent of our relationship.

“Her name was Sarah.”

The cushioned seat of the truck was a godsend compared to the hard padding of my Grasshopper. I sat back and let myself be overtaken by the warmth and comfort of it. I hadn't realized how much I missed a comfy place to rest until now. I had been camping outside ever since I left. While it was okay most days the dust storm two days ago nearly flung my tent off a cliff.

“So there's a truck stop a couple miles from here. They might have whatever you need to get that thing,” he said, pointing back at my Grasshopper, which was laying in the back on his truck bed, “running again. But, launching off the planet? Hohoho, do you think it'll survive that?”

“Haha, don't worry about me old timer. It may be an old 2133 model, but it'll be able to make it. Oh, another thing. Do you know the location of any catapults around here? It can fly but it doesn't have an astroliner so it can't make the trip into space.”

“You didn't plan this trip out at all, did you? Young people these days...Well, I dunno of any, but someone's sure to know at the pit stop. Ah, there it is.”

We pulled up to the truck stop, a large facility built into the side of a mountain. It contained a parking lot populated by dozens of vehicles of all sizes and even a small ship. I spotted what looked like a garage on the far right side of the structure and figured I'd head there first. I thanked the trucker and pulled my Grasshopper off the back. He wished me good luck and left. I pushed the small bike towards the entrance of the garage and peered in.

There didn't seem to be anyone in there but, it was in fact a garage. There were a number of vehicles scattered all around it, in various states of repair. One notable repair job was being done on a car that looked like the entire front half of it had been seared off. I wondered what really could be done with it and why the owner hadn't just opted to buy a new one.

“That beauty right there was donated by the owner. I figured I could use the scrap metal for other things,” a scruffy female voice stated. I spun around and met the gaze of a woman sporting thick goggles that obscured half of her dirt covered face. Her dark red hair draped over her shoulders in clumps, stuck together by dirt and grease. She wore a blue mechanics uniform tucked into large black boots. She removed her goggles, resting them on her forehead and revealing a patch of light brown skin in the shape of the goggles, which had been protected from whatever had covered the rest of her face in grime. Based on her appearance, she looked to be in her mid 20s, around my age.

“I'm Lean, what can I help you with?” She eyed me then my Grasshopper, which prompted her to squeal and run over excitedly. “Oh my gosh, is this a 2134 Grasshopper?!” she asked excitedly.

“Uhh, a 33 actually,” I responded, a bit taken back by her reaction.

“I can't believe I'm actually seeing one with my own eyes! In person!” She ran her hand along it, taking in all the details, and struggling to control her schoolgirl giddiness.

“Well, it doesn't seem to be working anymore. I was wondering if you could fix it. I'm trying to head into space.” I explained, hoping she would be able to hear me over the tons of thoughts surely racing through her head at the moment.

“Space? Well, she can definitely take you there,” she looked at the back, “provided you have a catapult to launch you.” She stood up and asked for the keys. I handed them over and she tried starting it up. This time there was no response at all from the engine. She scratched her chin, then tried turning on the headlights.

“Well, there's your problem. The battery's dead.” she stood up and handed me back the keys. “I can recharge it but it'll take a couple hours, if you can wait.”

“I'm not in a hurry.” She led me over to the charging station and handed me two clamps which I hooked up to the bike. The meter on the station showed that the battery was at a pathetic 2% charge. The idea of recharging it before leaving had completely escaped my mind and I was a bit embarrassed that I hadn't thought of that. She flipped on the machine, which gave off a loud roar before settling into a soft hum.

“Soo, what brings someone like you all the way out here?” she asked, opening a fridge nearby and grabbing herself a soda.

“Uhh, it's kind of a long story, I don't really feel like getting into it again. Basically, I just wanted to get away and take a trip on my own.”

“Into space though? That's quite the trip,” she mused.

“Well, I wanted to get off Mars, see somewhere not covered in dust and red. Maybe even go to Earth.”

“Earth? You know how long that'll take you? Even using the subspace highways, it'll still take a good week. This thing won't last a week on one charge and there's no where out their to get it recharged when it dies.” She placed her can on a crate next to her and looked at me sternly. “Believe me, you don't want to get stuck on one of those things. Why don't you just stay on Mars, or better yet, head back home.”

“I didn't come her for a lecture,” I said under my breath. “How about I just buy another battery to take it along with me? It can't cost too much.”

“Cost isn't the issue here, it's you not knowing what the hell you're doing.”

“It's none of your business anyway,” I barked, growing annoyed and her increasingly preachy tone. This is the type of thing I wanted to get away from and here I was getting the same shit, in a run down shack in the middle of nowhere. She took a sip of her coke, eyes fixed on mine, daring me to speak up again.

“Listen, I don't know why you're here, but, I'll say this,” she began, speaking in a methodical tone. “I don't know where you came from but, I can guess it was a pretty nice place compared to this. Tons of people pass by here out of necessity, because this is just their way of life, and here you are, here by choice. You're woefully unprepared for what you're doing and woefully ignorant of everything. So I'm gonna recharge this for you, but why don't you just go back home to wherever it is you came from?”

I glared at her, unable to muster a reasonable comeback, because, she was right. I hadn't really thought this through, nor had I amply prepared for the trip. But, at the same time, I just couldn't go back, not now. I had barely gotten away, I hadn't gotten to see anything at all.

“I...I can't. This is something I just have to do. I don't care what you think. If you end up being right good for you but I'm gonna do what I want to,” I beamed back. She looked surprised by my response, like she had expected me to crumple and cave in to her suggestion. She smirked and chugged down the rest of her soda. She let out a burp that would make any man proud.

“Well, if you're gonna be that way, then don't say I didn't tell you so, Prince Rohan.” My eyes widened. It was the nickname I had back home.

“Wait, are you saying you've known...”

“What, did you think I was some country hick?! Of course I knew who you were. Who wouldn't recognize the son of MineCo president? I was just trying to keep you out of trouble is all.” She tossed her empty soda can in the bin. “It's gonna take a couple of hours to finish, how about you go get something to eat?”

“Mmm,” I thought about it, “I'm not really hungry. But, Lean, since you know all about me, tell me about yourself?”

She blushed slightly. “Sorry, but you're not my type.”

“Nono, it's nothing like that,” I assured her. “Just tell me about yourself. Tell me how someone like you got to be a mechanic way the hell out here. This woefully ignorant kid is trying to learn something.”

She grinned and took a seat on a folding chair nearby. She rummaged through the fridge and cracked open another soda.

“Well, if you're soo interested...” she sat back and stared at the ceiling dreamily. “So, how did I become a mechanic...”

kid ness

John Dunbar said:
Is there a way to make text italic on Tinypub?
I also would like to know this, it seems not I'm afraid.
EDIT: I just posted my story in the regular forum post. I would have done Tinypub, but italics are really crucial to my story.
ronito said:
Merry Christmas to the writing crew. I love you guys!
Merry Christmas to you too!

kid ness

The Writer
Word count: 1974

The trees next to him are thin and tall, packed with clean white snow that fills the gap between the trees and their branches. The sky is clear, mirroring the white ground below.

He is nervous, hesitating, before finally taking a step onto the frozen lake. The ice barely reacts to the introduction of a foreign one-hundred-and-sixty-five pounds, a testament to its strength. His strides are less hesitant now, though still careful, slightly more trusting of the stability of the lake's surface.

The world is beautiful. At least from this perspective.

He is cold. But the intensity of the cold is what allows him to be the only person bold enough to brave the weather, and walk alone on the frozen lake, for which he is grateful.

Snow begins to fall. It's the kind of snow that takes its time falling, victim to even gentle winds that are able to dictate its path, prolonging its inevitable landing. The writer removes one of his gloves, and lets a snowflake land on his index finger. He marvels at the snowflake, observing its intense symmetry, wishing that it wouldn't melt so fast in his hand, giving him the chance to marvel a little longer.

Still unsure of his safety, he steps off the ice. His steps are different now; comfortable, regular, safe. With the comfort of safety, he loses the exhilaration he felt while walking across the lake. He passes a myriad of trees, all blanketed in fresh snow. His feet continue to mark the first steps in the snow, until he approaches the parking lot, where he sees a set of familiar bootprints heading toward the lake; his own. He walks up to a familiar car: his '81 Corolla.

Happy, he drives home.

He approaches the steps of his home. The house's paint is peeling. Originally a dark brown, it is now exposing layers of an underneath dirty white. The blinds are pulled down. The porch has no furniture, except for occasionally a single beach chair, that he would bring outside every time he wanted to sit on the porch.

His study, which was originally a living room thirty years ago, was littered with stepped-on Coke cans and Easy Mac containers, (which he intended to soon recycle) that competed for floorspace with stapled loose-leaf manuscripts. Wood bookshelves were filled with traditional works of fiction of esteemed reputations, such as The Odyssey, Huckleberry Finn, and Moby Dick. A light blue, ripped sofa served as an extension to the overflowing bookshelves; its seat cushions had been removed and the sofa now served as easy, accessible storage for the books he deemed most worthy.

The writer now sat on a wobbly chair, supported under the shortest leg by two collections of contemporary fiction he vehemently disliked. He wore torn blue jean overalls over an undershirt, and his salt and pepper hair was gelled back sloppily. Tiny, oval glasses sat atop his hooked nose.

He was writing of middle aged Nick Wheating, the subject of his latest three novels. He had published his first Wheating novel ten years ago to roaring success, documenting Wheating's gradual transition from leaving his foster home, subsequently attending community college where he was quickly placed on probation for substance abuse, to becoming one of the most successful architects in modern day Chicago.

The first book had made the Bestseller list, earning the writer a more than comfortable living. However, while still basking in the glory of the first, the second Wheating novel was universally received as terrible, ranking third on Reader's Weekly, “Ten Most Disappointing Novels of 1987.”

The writer was now on his third and final Wheating novel. He was essentially only writing for himself, curious to see how the character's life would unfold after a bitter divorce from his wife. The writer wanted to make Wheating feel significant to himself as a human being, to prove how anyone is able to rebound from a great deal of suffering; to keep moving forward. However, he had not written that part yet.

Once more in his study, the writer sat. His hands were ready to type, hovering above the keyboard. Nothing came to mind. He scratched his beard, as if to believe that somewhere in that long, unshaven clump of hair lay a worthwhile idea that would resolve his story.

Usually when he had writer's block, the writer would grab his beach chair and sit on the porch. Observing the quiet nature outside was calming, and though this alone would not usually give him an idea to write about, it would provide him the peace of mind to continue writing. Thirty minutes of sitting on the beach chair made him a lot less anxious, which helped his writing.

He decided that now was apt for a beach chair session. He put on a large winter jacket, a scarf, and a ski hat, and carried the beach chair out to the porch.

The dark night outside was freezing and windy. The trees were rocking back and forth, in coordination with heavy gusts of wind. Two deer crossed the cement road next to his house, making their way into the woods. A much younger deer was well behind them, beginning to cross as the older two had already done so. The young deer, in awe of a bright pair of headlights which lit up the night, stopped moving entirely, and turned only its head to gaze at a quickly approaching car.

The driver, going about forty miles an hour, must have noticed the awestruck deer when he was about five feet away. Instantly realizing the deer was in front of him, the driver threw his hands to the right, swerving the car off the road and into the woods, fatally striking one of the adult deer on the side of the road. The car, rapidly going downhill, crashed into a large tree.

The car windows shattered, decorating the dark woods with uneven, pointy shards of glass. The driver's head slammed against the dashboard, breaking his skin, blood pouring from his head. The front of the car that had crashed into the tree resembled a crumpled paper bag, entirely crushed.

The driver is young, wearing a puffy maroon jacket and a baseball cap. His upper body is now moving frantically, trying to escape the vehicle. Placing both hands on the top of the car door, he is trying to push himself out, but he is stuck. The writer assumed that the driver's legs must be pinned inside the vehicle.

The writer evaluated the scene from his beach chair. There was a poor dead deer on the floor of the woods, motionless, its front legs curled, its eyes wide. The two deer who had fled at the noise of the crash were now returning to their deceased companion, the youngest prodding the lifeless body with one of its hooves. To the right of the deer was a totaled car, with a driver inside visibly in distress, still unable to get out of the vehicle.

The writer felt bad for the driver, and felt somewhat obligated as a human being to leave his porch and assist him. . .

That's it!

Nick Wheating is a self conscious, introverted man, with little respect for himself after his divorce. To gain his own respect, he must perform successfully in a situation where compassion and courage is required him in the eyes of other people.

The perfect resolution to his story made the writer grin. He jumped out of the beach chair and to his study, nearly tripping over his own feet in excitement. Hunched over in his chair, he quickly typed:

It is late February. Nick walks down the street, going to his office. He remembers the mundane tasks associated with being a father of two: packing lunches of peanut butter and jelly before his children were awake, doing and re-doing laundry trying to remove tomato sauce stains from a new pair of pants, running to the grocery store to buy Tylenol for Rebecca or Charlie's sudden cold. However mundane those tasks were, every time Nick completed them he felt a sense of gratification and a fatherly pride. He loved his kids. Ever since he lost custody to his ex-wife, he missed doing those tasks that displayed his love for them.

There are a fair amount of people walking downtown on this brisk Chicago morning. Most are bundled up, with long coats and large scarves protecting their necks. Nick forgot his scarf this morning, and with each step, he is shivering. As Nick passes by each person, he wonders how successful they are, how happy they are with their lives, if they ever had to lose custody of their two beloved children.

He passes a young kid, most likely still in high school, with big round glasses and enormous blue backpack. He thinks to himself,
Studious kid. Will likely be a doctor someday. There is a nicely dressed older woman, whose heels clicked as she confidently walks down the street. Probably a business executive. Nick passes a young man, dressed in a black suit with a maroon tie, carrying a briefcase. Kid straight out grad school, making his way up in the firm. Nick crosses the street.

While crossing the street, the young man's briefcase falls. He collapses to the ground, the sound of his body hitting the pavement is loud and abrupt. The young man's body is sprawled on the ground, his arms begin to twitch. Despite his desperate and obviously apparent need for medical attention, nobody comes to his aid. The streetlight is about to change. People watch from the sidewalk, wide eyed. The man's head is jerking back and forth.

Nick shouts for someone to call an ambulance. He runs into the crosswalk, standing in front of the young man on the ground. Nick holds his arms out, a signal to stop the cars from passing. The light changes to green. A few cars begin to accelerate, until they see Nick in their path, and then they stop. The light changes back to red. Nick kneels on the floor, and pins down the arms of the man, which are shaking violently.

Ambulance sirens wail in the distance, gradually getting louder. The crowd watches, curious of the man's condition. Paramedics arrive quickly, the red of the ambulance's lights reflecting off their uniforms. The young man's arms are still shaking. Despite that movement, the man appears lifeless, slave to his nervous system.

The paramedics quickly load the man onto the stretcher, pinning his moving limbs. They carry him to the ambulance, slamming the doors shut. The ambulance speeds off, the sirens performing a decrescendo until they can no longer be heard. The crowd disbands, and each person continuing with his day as he ordinarily would have; the only difference being that now he had a story to tell at dinner.

After finishing the final few sentences. . .

Nick felt worthwhile, a feeling which he had not attributed to himself since the birth of his baby daughter. He was crucial to the well-being and safety of that man, while the rest of the crowd fell victim to the bystander effect, only watching silently.

. . .the writer was giddy, his eyes bright and happy. He was pleased with the final Wheating novel, anticipating its inevitable warm reception. Hopefully it would sell nicely, too. After all, he knew that the American public was infatuated with success stories, which was what he had managed to cash in on ten years ago. The writer was collecting the freshly printed pages of his first draft, when he heard the sound of sirens coming down the street. Curious, he peered out the window, where he saw the lifeless, bloody body of the driver being placed on a stretcher, and into an ambulance.

Ashes

Banned
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone. I wish you, your friends, family, and all a very Merry Xmas and a happy new year. :)

Irish

Indeed, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.

ronito said:
I love you guys!

As do I. You guys and gals are wonderful.

I can't believe I totally forgot about the poetry thread though. Everyone in my family met up last night and went out to eat. Unfortunately, half of them got food poisoning or something. :(

Azih

http://tidypub.org/SyQfC
Also (with italics!)

Not at their best (1270 or so words)

Jake woke up with a start as a shaft of sunlight fell across his face from the tiny window of his room. Blinking groggily against it he struggled up to a sitting position scratching at the two day old beard that was sprouting scraggily across his cheeks and chin. Squinting at the alarm clock on his bedside table he considered collapsing back and letting his eyes close again as they desperately wanted to but instead pushed himself to his feet stretching and yawning into some semblance of coherence. He was not a morning person.

Padding into the kitchen Jake threw himself down on the rickety chair (getting ricketier by the day due to Jake’s daily abuse) that was the only one in the room set in front of a card table masquerading as a breakfast table.

Jim turned around from the sink where he was washing up and raised his eyebrows. “Aren’t you going to be late?” he asked.

Jake considered Jim. He knew that Jim was even less of a morning person that he was but Jim still got up early, made his breakfast, cleaned up, and was out the door almost before Jake even staggered out of bed. He was always in a snippy distracted mood though.

“Nah, transferred to a later class. I’ve still got half an hour to go” Jake said in response.

“Yeah, well I’m taking off now” Jim snorted.

Jake grunted in acknowledgement and waited until Jim was gone before heaving himself off the chair to grab the bowl (just cleaned by Jim) and milk and cereal that was going to be his breakfast. He was just in the middle of sloshing the milk over the cereal that he heard a shout.

“JESUS FUCK!”

Jake rushed out of the kitchen into the hallway to see Jim standing gray faced and bug eyed in front of their apartment door. “What’s going on?” Jake asked.

Jim turned towards Jake but didn’t really seem to register him. He did raise an arm to point towards the door though.

Jake swiveled his head to see what had disturbed Jim so much and felt his jaw drop open. Where he should have seen the hallway of the apartment building he instead saw a blank grey… nothingness. It wasn’t like a mist or a fog had mysteriously rolled into the building and up the stairs to sit in front of their room. That would have at least shifted or seeped into the room or something. This seemed more like a giant screen displaying nothing but a solid grey was parked right in front of the door. Frozen static. Jake couldn’t even see the linoleum of the apartment building floor outside before the grey began. He couldn’t see anything of the building at all. Like it didn’t even exist.

“What is happening out here?” came a voice as the other door in the hallway opened and the familiar face of Peter peeked out. Peter was the third of the three roommates, an exchange student, and was a morning person unlike Jake and Jim, or would have been if he hadn’t stay out all night partying.

Jake and Jim both turned towards Peter’s ruffled, hungover face. This time it was Jake who wordlessly pointed at the void outside their front door.

Peter turned, blinked a couple of times to make sure his bleary eyes weren’t playing tricks on him and when he finally decided they weren’t adopted an expression much like the ones Jake and Jim were wearing.

“Christ on a bike” he muttered.

“I almost walked into that” Jim said in a dazed voice.

Jake was finding it hard to think. The hallway was dark, narrow, claustrophobic, and the eerie grey emptiness was getting on his nerves.

“We’ve got to get out of here” he said and stretched his hands out towards the door.

“Don’t touch it!” Jim snapped reflexively as he slapped Jake’s hands away.

“Hold on” Peter said and disappeared into his room and came back with a cricket bat tangled up in a jump rope. He hadn’t used either in a while though he still looked like he did. Yanking the rope off the bat he gingerly stepped towards the door and probed the void with it.

The bat penetrated the grey expanse like it was just going through air. Peter swished it around a bit but that made no difference. There was no resistance at all even though the bat wasn’t visible on the other side of the barrier. Peter pulled the bat back and poked at it. It didn’t look any worse off than before.

“We’ve got to see what’s out there” he said.

“Well I’m not going through” Jake responded.

They looked at Jim, noted his expression, and turned back to each other.

“One of us has to go through” Peter said.

“Who?” Jake retorted, but then considered. “Maybe we could pick straws to decide.”

Peter gave him a withering look. “Jake, I don’t think we have any straws.”

Jake started getting irritated. “So what do we do? Flip coins?”

“Rock paper scissors” Jim broke in suddenly.

Peter and Jake turned towards him and Jim shrugged. “That’s how we always decided things when we were kids”.

“Alright” Peter said relieved that Jim’s crazed expression had lifted. He counted it out.

“1, 2, 3!”

They looked down and saw three fists.

“Fuck, ok again, 1, 2, 3!”

This time they all picked paper.

Peter pressed his lips together looking both annoyed and exasperated. “1, 2… 3!”

This time Peter had picked rock, Jim had picked scissors and Jake had paper.

They considered this for a good few seconds. “Well.. what does this mean?” Jake finally asked.

Jim, who had completely shaken off his stupor and was also completely irritated by now said “Screw this, I’m going through” and turned towards the eerie portal that the door had become.

“Hold up a bit.” Peter said leaning over to pick up the discarded jump rope and tying it around Jim’s waist. Jake handed Jim the bat. “Alright be careful Jim.”

Jim hefted the bat over his shoulder and with Peter holding on to the rope with a death grip they all edged forward.

Jim leaned forward, bat first, and slowly pushed his face into the greyness. His head snapped back suddenly giving Peter and Jake a start. “It’s the hallway on the other side!” Jim said, a little wild eyed, “It looks a bit fuzzy though.”

He moved forward again this time stepping all the way through. There was a moment of silence, then another, and then just as Jake and Peter started to relax the rope suddenly snapped taut and pulled. Peter yelled in surprise as he was dragged through almost flying into the grey, his yells cutting off the moment his mouth pushed through the surface leaving Jake pale with shock in a sudden pin drop silence.

Gathering himself and cursing he dashed into the kitchen, picked up the knife (so blunt that they joked that the butter knife was sharper), and rushed into the void after his friends, banging against the door as he passed through and causing it to swing shut after him.

As the dust slowly settled Peter’s cellphone started to ring as it lay on a sun bathed window sill around the corner from the hallway in the small living room. From the window (on the second floor of the building) a beautiful bright day could be seen taking shape with people emerging from their homes and beginning their day just as they always usually normally did.

DumbNameD

Alright, stow that eggnog, stuff those stockings into the sock drawer, and put the tree into the chipper. A couple of days and some change left until the deadline.

I got nothing, by the way.

Irish

Hm, I may write something for this in the daytime for once. Planning on going to sleep early and waking up to write.

Sibylus

Banned
I've been wanting to get back into these challenges for a while, but I've been grappling with the "abrupt end of the piece and world/deadline" problem, which would suck a lot of wind out of my sails because I distinctly felt like I could have done more. I think writing my entries as small pieces in a larger world would largely assuage those issues, and keep me interested in the longterm. I'm probably going to hop on the bandwagon in the next thread!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
A Christmassy Christmas Tale for Christmas
(1,500 words)
TidyPub Version

A man dragged himself away from a roulette table to the bar, ordered a whiskey and stared through a window at the falling snow in the twilight of a winter evening.

”You look like you’re having a rough time.”

He turned around and saw a man sitting on the bar stool next to him.

”Oh, I’m sorry, was this seat taken?” he asked.

”By you, it would seem.”

”Cheers,” said the man, raising his glass before taking a gulp.

”Doing some Christmas gambling, eh?”

”Got to keep them traditions alive.”

”That’s no tradition. You should be with your family on Christmas.”

”I have no family.”

”You just haven’t found yours yet.”

The man chuckled in his glass of whiskey and ordered another one.

”Do you mind me asking,” said the Stranger. ”What do you do for a living?”

”I make films,” answered the man. ”Educational ones.”

”Oh, documentaries?”

”Pornography.”

”Celebrating those magical moments when the penis is an internal organ, eh?”

”Someone has to.”

”I think you’re just the man I’ve been looking for.”

”Look, I’m flattered, but I’m straight.”

”Is this really what you’re doing this Christmas? Just sitting in a bar, drowning your sorrows in a cheap bottle of booze?”

”My papa always said, no matter how bad things get, there’s always whiskey.”

”And he died of cirrhosis.”

”How’d you know that?”

”A man with that motto, old chap?” said the Stranger. ”Lucky guess. But I want to tell you a story. Do you want to hear it?”

”Are you paying for my drink?”

”Not here. You need to come with me.”

”You know what I did this weekend?” said the cop with a moustache. ”I watched a film. Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ. Have you seen it?”

”Uh, no,” said his partner.

”It’s about the last days of Jesus of Nazareth. He was executed as a criminal. You know what his crime was?”

”Uh, blasphemy?”

”Loving men. Wanted to help them. And you know how they executed him?

”I think so, yes.”

”He was crucified. Nails through his hands and feet. But first he was tortured. You know what the moral of this story is?”

”Uh, no.”

”Crime doesn’t pay.”

”But didn’t Jesus, you know, come back?”

”Criminals always return to the scene of the crime.”

The two officers watched from their police van as the few people still out were making their way through the night and snow in the dim glow of the city lights.

”Just look at that fat little hooligan,” said the Moustache Cop. ”You can just tell he’s about to desecrate public property.”

”Looks to me he’s just walking.”

”Parents should be fined for letting their brats wander the city alone. If the damn politicians knew what it’s like on the streets there’d be a curfew.”

”I haven’t even had to arrest anyone in months.”

”That’s because you don’t take your job seriously,” said the Moustache Cop. ”But I’m going to do something about that.”

Yes, you just mind your own business, you shithead. I’ll fix you. You just wait and see. When you least expect it, I’ll get you. And then you will know how it feels like to be trampled by shitheads like you, you shithead. I’ll get you. You. You...

”So let me get this straight, they really don’t last that long?”

”Not all of them.”

”I’ll be damned.”

”Look, is this really a good idea? You’re not just going to murder and rape me, are you?

”Not in that order, eh?”

”Listen,” said the gloomy Pornographer. ”I’m freezing and you dragged me away from a my whiskey. I want to know where we’re going.”

”Calm down, we’re almost there,” said the Stranger. ”It’s going to be much better than the temporary blissful oblivion of an alcoholic beverage.”

”I strongly doubt that.”

I have nothing but time, you shithead. I can wait all winter...

”Look,” said the Stranger. ”Up there.”

”It’s a crane,” said the Pornographer.

”Good eye.”

”Someone put Christmas lights on it.”

”Exactly.”

”I will hit you if you dragged me here to look at a construction site.”

”Even a crane can be Christmassy with some lights.”

”This better not be some Dickens crap. Did you get loose from an asylum or something?”

”You just need to take things easy, and let the Christmas spirit come to you.”

”Oh my sweet merciful God.”

Yes, reveal yourself. Take what’s coming to you, you shithead...

”Oh come on, stay a while.”

”No,” said the Pornographer. ”You dragged me away from my drink to prattle on about some It’s A Wonderful Life non-sense in a cold wintry night. I’m going to go get drunk.”

”Why did you even come in the first place? What did you expect?”

”Why? I don’t know. Some weird dude wanted me to follow him on Christmas, so maybe I thought it meant something.”

”Like what?”

”Something, something Christmassy.”

”Is not a crane lit with Christmas lights against a dark sky Christmassy enough?”

”Look, maybe I was hoping for an adventure or something. Something that didn’t feel like shit, okay?”

”You’re not going to find that in a bar.”

”Weren’t you going to tell me a story? Let’s hear it, then.”

A bright yellow light blinded them as a car suddenly appeared from the dark of the night. It pulled over near them, and two men stepped out.

”What do we have here?” said the Moustache Cop. ”A clear case of prostitution and/or drug dealing.”

”What the hell?” asked the Pornographer.

”Book ’em,” said the Moustache Cop to his partner. ”You scum are going to be getting a nice trip in the Black Maria and then spend rest of the Holidays with your kind in the big house.”

”We’re going to get fired if you keep arresting everybody,” said the Partner.

”It’s our duty to keep these low-lifes off the streets.”

”The paddywagon is already full, after you arrested those two old ladies for solicitation and the kid they were paying to clear the roof of snow for reckless endangerment,” said the Partner. ”I think the kid is still crying.”

”That snow could have killed someone, from that height,” said the Moustache Cop. ”I’m making sure that at least on Christmas these streets will be safe for decent people to go about their business without being harassed by drug dealers and juvenile delinquents.”

”We’re not drug dealers,” said the Pornographer.

”We’re most certainly not,” said the Stranger. ”I may have some marijuana, but I have no intention of selling it.”

”He admitted it!”

”Wait, you have drugs?” asked the Pornographer. ”Why didn’t you just give me some instead of prattling on about cranes and crap?”

”You two will have plenty of time to sort out your shady dealings down town, now get in the...”

HAVE AT YOU. THAT’S WHAT YOU GET FOR TRYING TO KICK ME, YOU SHITHEAD.

”A pigeon!” yelled the Moustache Cop. ”A pigeon shat on my head!”

”I’ve never seen one swoop in like that,” said the Partner. ”Like a dive bomber.”

”Right in the face,” said the Pornographer. ”Reminds me of one of my movies.”

”It’s in my eyes! I can’t see!”

”It’s a Christmas miracle,” said the Stranger.

”I’ve had it with this shit!” declared the Moustache Cop, frantically wiping his face. ”You people and your goddamn birds can cause a riot for all I care! You rabble-rousers and riff-raff will have no one to blame but yourselves when chaos and disorder reigns on these streets! I’m going home and you trash can shove it and sank in the swamp of crime and perversion!”

”What about the people in the carrier?” asked his Partner.

”Let them go.”

”We’re like thirty miles away from where we...”

”I said let them go!”

A group of angry, confused, potential wrong-doers climbed out of the van, voicing their outrage to the Partner as he told them to be on their way and not to interfere with police business. The Moustache Cop was now in the car, still wiping the avian excrement from his face and cleaning his moustache with a special comb. The Partner got in the car and seemed to be talking with the Moustache Cop.

”Spending Christmas with those you care about the most, that’s all that matters,” said the Stranger as he watched the group of former suspects disband and the police van pull away.

”I don’t even know who you are,” said the Pornographer.

”Oh, you always crack me up,” said the Stranger, putting his arm over the Pornographer’s shoulder. ”We will have some good times together.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom