• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro City Rampage gets a retail release on Switch

Shiggy

Celebrating Retro City Rampage's 5th anniversary, I'm excited to finally be able to announce that Retro City Rampage DX will be getting a Nintendo Switch retail release this month!

Self-published by Vblank Entertainment, the limited Collector's Edition includes a cartridge, manual, soundtrack, keychain, and 3D glasses -- plus a fully reversible cover!

Pre-orders go live Monday, October 9th at 9am PT / 12pm ET right here at vblank.com. Orders ship later this month.

Subscribe to product alerts to get notified when it (and future releases) go on sale.

This limited Collector's Edition comes in at $44.99, with a Standard Edition also available for $29.99.

rcrdx_switch_shots.jpg

http://vblank.com/20171005_switch_retail.php

$29.99 for the standard edition, $44.99 for the collector's edition. eShop price is $14.99. Looks to be the first self-published Switch retail title.

LQX

Man, they have repackaged and resold this game so many times at $29.99 or higher when it routinely goes for sale for under $5. I got like 3 digital copies and I don't even remember how and I cant even sell the PC version for $1 these days.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
nice take on the wonder boy box art man that and the mario 2 manual i might have to get this even though played it on steam and thought it was only ok

Weevilone

Maybe just me, but I have zero Master System nostalgia. Grabbed the regular edition.

I'm all down for collector's editions, but the keychain and 3-D glasses didn't do it for me.

Enforcer

"Limited Run Games got a lot of great feedback for the SMS cover of Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap. We should totally do the same thing!"

Yeah... not quite. This is from 2014, which predates LRG's Wonder Boy release:

iAMb6HP.jpg

Note the disc in the picture. And then there's this from 2010:

http://sega-addicts.com/2010/10/10/when-stevie-met-brian-retro-city-rampage-sega-and-more/

Note the title image in that article. I like LRG too, but let's not get carried away. They didn't exactly have a novel idea with the Wonder Boy cover. Retro City Rampage has been all about the retro look from the jump. It's even in the name!

Chessr

bought standard.
Heres to not getting catched in the customs. It will cost me another 18 dollars at least lol

Refyref

It's tempting, but with 16$ shipping, no way. I own the game itself in various forms, can't justify paying 60$ for a special print copy. The standard edition doesn't seem worth it in the first place.

steveovig

I probably shouldn't have done it but I bought the CE with some extra PayPal money I had. 3000 copies isn't a lot so I figure if I end up deciding to not collect every Switch game I can at least sell it later.

Shiggy

Really? Now I'm having second thoughts.

The CE has a similar run as the Vita version (3300 copies were made), which goes for over $100 now. The first print edition of the PS4 version (2000 copies were printed) is also selling at higher prices.

In 2016 they had a further run for the PS4 version, also with a limited edition (3000 units). That's not selling at high prices on eBay.

Here we have 3000 copies for the CE and an undisclosed amount for the standard edition.

Anyway, now it's too late for you :p

Shiggy

The PS4 version was readily available for years after the initial release. Either they kept "finding" more copies or they continued to reprint variations.

Just like the standard edition for Switch, he isn't saying it's limited. So it could well be that they printed more copies. They may also print more copies of the standard edition if there's demand, I guess.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/RetroCR/status/917446253188931584

Edit2:
Standard edition sold out.

Seik

Banned
Heh, missed the standard edition.

Will skip then, the CE's price is too high for me.

If they ever reprint a standard edition I'll buy it.

Shiggy

The Standard Edition pre-orders are now in and start shipping tomorrow! Stay tuned for your tracking numbers. We're super excited for you to get them.

unnamed-2prsoq.png

The Collector's Editions are taking a bit longer to finish assembling than anticipated, but don't worry! They're right around the corner, and we've put this extra time to some good use. To make up for the wait, you'll now be getting a full set of FOUR alternate covers instead of just one. In addition to these extra covers, we've also given extra love to the first one, and transforming the plain old white background into something much more special!

unnamed-3d6suq.png

Assembly should be completed next week. After that, the finished orders will be sent to the fulfillment center, then sent to you. Thank you so much for your patience. We apologize for the delay, but hope these exciting new covers will make the wait worth it!

Just received this update.

Bane

Wait... what happened to this cover?!

It's the first one in that spread in the post above yours, they changed it.

I thought about buying the CE for a second just for that cover. I'd be super pissed right now if I had. It's a pretty shitty thing to do but that Mario 2 cover does make up for it some.

Top Bottom