• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alice Madness Returns

So GAF, I've be trying to trim my backlog for quite a while now, as documented in in this other thread. Usually I would just post a new review in the aforementioned thread but for this game I felt the need to make a proper LTTP thread. The reason being, I don't know how many copies Alice sold when it came out, but I can't help but thinking that more gamers ought to experience this title. And here's why!

Firstly let me tell you how gorgeous this game is. Wait, even better, let me show you some pics I took:

Ni9uRXF.jpg
The Queen Domain, my favorite stage

Alice has an abundance of minigames, but none of them feels truly compelling.

The Valley of Tears, a recurring location, and one of my favorites. It exemplifies beautifully the overall style of the game

If you want you can take a look at my Imgur album, just be aware that some screens may be considered spoilerish.

The art direction of Alice, as you must have noticed, is really fantastic and very imaginative. Unfortunately, on the technical side of things, the game is less than perfect: generally speaking, one has the impression that the development team bit more than they could chew.

Mechanically the game is a very competent platformer and a somewhat clunky hack and slash, the main distraction being the camera which, more often than not, can't keep up with Alice's dashing left and right when fighting against the enemies.

The game, objectively speaking, has a few mechanical issues, but I don't feel like talking about them at length, since they don't detract much from the enjoyment of Alice's journey into her psyche, which I'd say is one of the two selling points of the games (the other one being the art direction).

Alice is a wonderful character and the world she lives in is perhaps even more interesting. The story takes quite a few turns during the game (which is notoriously lengthy); honestly speaking, I rushed through the Wonderland stages, in which the meaty portions of the game take place, to get to the interludes set in Victorian London, just to see how the story would progress and what other challenges Alice would have to face. I'm confident that many of you will grow fond of this character, and in more than one scene you will really feel for her, since the game doesn't shy away from a vivid and crude depiction of what it could mean to be a young woman, with no family, in those days.

The game can get really dark at times. Understandably so, given the subject.

TL; DR: In conclusion, if you have some tolerance for poorly implemented cameras, and if you are looking for a game which, for once, does keep the promise of being a mature exploration of the psyche of its protagonist, set aside a few evenings and buy Alice Madness Return. If you really get into the game, I would also recommend to buy the artbook, as it really showcases how much of a passion project Alice was for everyone involved.

TSM

This is a game I really wanted to like. I loved everything about it except the game play itself. I ended up getting bored and never getting back to it many hours into the game. It's a shame since everything else about it is so fantastic.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally Really like the game, I especially love the aesthetics but the actual platforming gets old fast and some of mini games in between aren't really fun.

Indelible

The game felt to long for the amount of content it had, great art direction but I stopped playing because of tedium.

I really like this game, the Artbook is among my favorites ever, and the artistic direction is amazing. Sadly, some levels (all of them?) were really long, this is one of the few games that could have benefited from shorter levels to get a better pacing.

The story is pretty dark.

Yeah, I understand you guys, I had to take a break mid way through the game for the very same reason. But then, when I resumed it, something clicked with me. It must be said that the best stages are saved for the last but in the end, as I mentioned in the OP, the characterization and the plot are the main driving forces of the game.

Keinning

It's the very definition of eyecandy to me. Looks so good, plays so bad. And it's long, way, way too long for its own good. And yet ive finished and replayed it, because its just so pretty. Even "boring" stages like a bunch of cards floating in the sky managed to look beautiful. If only the gameplay matched at least partially the visuals...

I beat this game last summer, as part of trimming my backlog. Like others have said, it became a slough. I found all the snouts, memories, and radula rooms, as I like to get all the collectibles in platformers. Still, as cool as the art direction was, it just became a chore to make it through to the end.

DVCY201

I completed it, 100%. It never overstayed its welcome, probably because the story was intriguing and the environments were pure eye-candy. It's such a unique title, especially given what EA is now

DJ_Lae

The game is gorgeous and the gameplay is decent enough to not distract from the looks.

It is, however, far too long for its own good. The levels are not nearly interesting enough and end up just feeling like a slog. A near endless one, at that.

wetalo

Agree with everyone else here, it was a very solid game but far too long. Had it been 8 or so hours instead of 13 I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Really dug the Psychonauts easter egg, also.

Truner

Neo Member
I finally managed to play through it this year. I've always loved the original. There was something about these PC platformers built upon FPS engines that just made them extremely fun for me.
If you want something similar from the era, the first three PC Harry Potter games are fantastic as well.

So after finally getting a PS3 last year and tracking down a copy of this game early this year, I've finally managed to dive into it and I came out extremely pleased. It was everything the original was. The platforming was on point, the fighting was on point. It's pretty as heck and the soundtrack is some of the best I've heard in a video game.
I love Alice: Madness Returns and I'm sad a sequel will probably never happen (besides Otherlands, which was kind of nice). Both it and the first game do justice to the weird world depicted in the original books, alongside the characters. Cheshire Cat never sounded so hot.

Until Alice returns once again, my tiny collection should stay frozen in time, waiting for a new item to be added: https://i.imgur.com/5bMcm0T.jpg

Dezzy

I loved this game. I was completely in love with the setting, art and sound and at least for me, the game was not too long. I enjoyed it all the way through. I just love the whole 'beautiful gothic dreamscape' setting which is just not used very much in games.

The world needs more goth games.

It must be said that Alice herself is a wonderfully realized character. Up there with Faith imo, as far as female characters of the past generation go.

void666

Banned
I enjoyed the game when it was released. But i tried to play again a couple of months ago and just couldn't get into it.

Kneefoil

I've always been interested American McGee's Alice games, mainly because of the visuals, but all the negative comments about other aspects of the games have kept me away.

I finally managed to play through it this year. I've always loved the original. There was something about these PC platformers built upon FPS engines that just made them extremely fun for me.
If you want something similar from the era, the first three PC Harry Potter games are fantastic as well.

So after finally getting a PS3 last year and tracking down a copy of this game early this year, I've finally managed to dive into it and I came out extremely pleased. It was everything the original was. The platforming was on point, the fighting was on point. It's pretty as heck and the soundtrack is some of the best I've heard in a video game.
I love Alice: Madness Returns and I'm sad a sequel will probably never happen (besides Otherlands, which was kind of nice). Both it and the first game do justice to the weird world depicted in the original books, alongside the characters. Cheshire Cat never sounded so hot.

Until Alice returns once again, my tiny collection should stay frozen in time, waiting for a new item to be added: https://i.imgur.com/5bMcm0T.jpg

Yes, the wonderful soundtrack is something I forgot to mention, glad you did that for me. Also agreed on platformers and hack and slash built on ID's engines being really charming.

Thn ending to this game is the darkest I've ever seen in a game.

True, though at least
she gets to kill her tormentor

I've always been interested American McGee's Alice games, mainly because of the visuals, but all the negative comments about other aspects of the games have kept me away.

Can't speak about the first one, which I haven't played, but if you can get over a camera that doesn't do its job too well, the second game has a lot to offer in terms of immersion, visual inventiveness and narrative.

KHlover

Banned
It's a beautiful game. Sadly not a very good game, albeit not a bad one either. Standard platforming fare with a somewhat fun combat that's plaqued by camera issues. Worth checking out if you like Alice in Wonderland, but I'd wait until it's on sale.

mrlion

I played it and I actually enjoyed it, some parts did seem to drag on but all of that was overshadowed by the eye-candy, the story and the atmosphere.

Edit: If you guys want Alice 3 he is attempting to do a campaign to get it just go to this link and sign up to as many things as you can.

http://www.americanmcgee.com/alice-3/

CO_Andy

I hate how really long the game is, but its worth a playthrough to experience the astounding visuals and heart wrenching story.

pakkit

Banned
really great story, incredible art design, i loved the first person walking sim interludes (wish there were more of them). the game design becomes a bit repetitive at the end, but overall i definitely think it's an overlooked gem. hope McGee gets to do another

edit: OP why are your screens so dark

offshore

This thread made me just go and look how far I was into the game before I got bored, and apparently I wasn't even halfway through oO. lol. I didn't realise it was so long. I was sure I was near the end.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Although by no means perfect, it is one of my all-time favourite games. I am a self-professed total fanboy of the Alice IP, having spent probably hundreds of $$ on games, various merch (including signed stuff), figures, replicas and tattoos of Alice and Cheshire Cat. I damn love Madness Returns.

I loved this game. I was completely in love with the setting, art and sound and at least for me, the game was not too long. I enjoyed it all the way through. I just love the whole 'beautiful gothic dreamscape' setting which is just not used very much in games.

The world needs more goth games.

My man. Love your avatar BTW. Chibi is my waifu <3

One of my favorite games ever. Very definition of a flawed classic tho. Yes it's too long, yes some of the mini games suck, but it's art is stunning, its music is incredible, it's atmosphere is fantastic, and it's story is genuinely great and incredibly dark. And to be honest even tho the combat is simple its always enjoyable

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
I used to love American McGees Alice, but i never finished Madness Returns..
The platforming part was much more prominent than in the first one and it was pretty boring and frustrating. Didn't help that i was playing on PC and didn't have a proper Gamepad back then, so i (tried to) play it with Mouse and Keyboard.

edit: OP why are your screens so dark

Had to adjust the gamma to make it look right on my monitor.

If you enjoy this darker version of Alice, and you like reading, you might want to pick up Alice by Christina Henry: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23398606-alice

Thank you for your recommendation, I really look forward to reading it. I love twisted retellings of classic tales. Ever read Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber?

kliklik

Banned
The beautiful, intricate environments, gorgeous outfits to dress Alice up in, compelling story, interesting protagonist, and really enjoyable movement controls render me completely incapable of impartially evaluating its flaws. Sure, one of the later stages dragged on too long, maybe some of the 2D sections were a bit long, but I just loved playing that game. God, transmogrifying to butterflies when she dashes never ceased to be satisfying.

Look, if you put a glide/float mechanic into your game, I will love it forever.

The first game doesn't really hold up today, but it'd be a shame if you miss out on Madness Returns when you're interested in it.

120v

had this in my backlog for time immemorial. i think it's literally the first game i bought on steam

funny it comes up because i've been thinking about finally giving it a go but then i think about how old it is and platformers aren't really my jam nowadays. though those screens are kind of inching me away from that. and i never knew it had any 'serious' story outside of some hot topic-esque take on alice in wonderland.

i'll add a mental note to bump it up in the queue

Top Bottom