• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

More confirmation on the redirection rule change

doopboopdoop asked: What planeswalker redirection rule change?

Starting soon, we are taking away the Planeswalker redirection rule and will instead tell you on the card specifically whether the card can target planeswalkers. All of the old relevant cards will have ”player" changed to ”player or planeswalker".

theatremamadionysus asked: Wait, so with the update, future bolts will deal three damage to target, "Creature, player, or planeswalker"?

Yes.

Sounds like there might be a lot of errata coming soon...

Ashodin

I'd bet dollars to donuts the change is coming with Dominaria.

Also I got the L5R relaunch game today!

l5c01_box_right.png

I've been meaning to get into it for a long time now because I love Samurai and Kamigawa, but the original game was overwhelming as fuck. I had acquired some cards and was going to play until I found out that FF bought the game from AEG.

The new version of the game is super sweet though. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes card games (also it's a living card game, meaning you get one of every card when you buy the core set).

Card Boy

Banned
I'd bet dollars to donuts the change is coming with Dominaria.

Also I got the L5R relaunch game today!

l5c01_box_right.png

I've been meaning to get into it for a long time now because I love Samurai and Kamigawa, but the original game was overwhelming as fuck. I had acquired some cards and was going to play until I found out that FF bought the game from AEG.

The new version of the game is super sweet though. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes card games (also it's a living card game, meaning you get one of every card when you buy the core set).

Unfortunately every FFG game is dead in my region except Xwing and SW Destiny.

That may be so but if Draft is boring to watch then sealed is watching for pitch to drop.

Team sealed decks aren't really like sealed decks, though, it's like playing three different sealed decks each built from 15 packs. They're way more powerful and generally more entertaining to watch.

More confirmation on the redirection rule change

This change was 100% locked in the moment that they decided to launch a new rules-complete digital game. The old rule was a total patch that could never work as smoothly online as it did in paper.

Change likely hits with M18. That's when they've previously done big changes like that.

We first learned about this from card wordings on the Arena stream. Interesting that this is happening sooner than later.

Arena will be out for reals in 2018 so there's kind of a limited amount of time they can wait before rolling it out in paper. Core 2019 certainly seems like a logical time.

I have a feeling control is going to win. LSV said the PGO guys told him it ls pretty much impossible for the energy decks to win pre-sideboards and the finals are best of five with no sideboards till the third game. Huey would what to win three in a row to take it.

that sounds off, UB control has 0 tools to manage a wide board pre and post sideboard. While Fatal Push shits over Cub a whirler Virtuoso or Bristling Hydra resolving can easily close out the game.
It's a matchup where the control deck isn't allowed to stumble whatsoever.

Justin

that sounds off, UB control has 0 tools to manage a wide board pre and post sideboard. While Fatal Push shits over Cub a whirler Virtuoso or Bristling Hydra resolving can easily close out the game.
It's a matchup where the control deck isn't allowed to stumble whatsoever.

It's because a third of the cards in his pre-sideboard deck are dead cards against decks that have almost no creatures

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately every FFG game is dead in my region except Xwing and SW Destiny.

Dude, what are you talking about Arkham is consistently sold out.

What time does the individual finals start today?

And one more quick question: I'm looking at upcoming sets, what is included in Core Set 2019?

Dude, what are you talking about Arkham is consistently sold out.

What time does the individual finals start today?

And one more quick question: I'm looking at upcoming sets, what is included in Core Set 2019?

It looks like the team event is ending within the hour.
Speaking of which, stream is live now

Core sets were something they used to print every year, but then stopped for a bit under the assumption that they were no longer needed, and now are bringing them back. Core sets are focused on beginners, and have significantly more reprints than "expert expansions" like Amonkhet, Hour of Devastation, and Ixalan. In terms of Standard, their role is to reprint staple cards like Lightning Strike, and to fill in gaps for deck archetypes that just came in, provide one last boost for an existing archetype, or set up future sets. For example, it's pretty likely we'll get more support for merfolk and vampires in Core 2019.

Yeef

Are cards like Leyline of Sanctity going to change? Or will this be a functional change to jow they play?
It'll likely be a functional change. I expect them to errata all cards that simply do direct damage to the face (Bolt, Lightning Strike, Fiery Temper, etc.), but I bet a lot of cards that do damage with other riders won't be changed (Blightning, Atarka's Command, Harsh Mentor, etc.)

Lucario

At the world champs spectating! The spectators section is like right next to the tables, this is crazy

Edit: THEY JUST GAVE ME A COMPETITOR SWAG BAG OMFG

You can choose to fail to find on library searches in Arena.

Full Control Mode isn't only a toggle mode, you can also just hold down Ctrl to quickly enter and leave the mode. That sounds like it will really help the game flow when you know exactly where you want to make your play.

Santiako

Nate Price (their community manager or whatever) might be the dullest man on earth. Even more so when sitting next to Riley.

I wonder if they'll actually print any cards in the future that go to the face but can't hit planeswalkers. I'd kind of rather they didn't; it would be a bit confusing for paper play.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Ah. And I would be pissed if I was trying to play for 100K and some dude kept sticking a camera or flash near me.

Yeef

Man, I hope they print the other half of the m10 lands in Rivals. Otherwise enemy colour decks are kind of boned.
I doubt they will. When was the last time they printed a full cycle of rare lands in a small set? It takes up too much space.

I doubt they will. When was the last time they printed a full cycle of rare lands in a small set? It takes up too much space.

Oath of the Gatewatch had 7 rare/mythic lands, three of which were manlands and the rest of which were colorless Eldrazi themed lands. It's not a stretch to have a five card checkland cycle in Rivals

Santiako

Josh Utter-Reckton. Javier Dominguez in the finals, so awesome.

They have dual faced cards so they have a bigger rare pool so I hope they make it in.

Is this logo gonna be on the backs of cards??

No, on all the branding (incl. boosters, etc)

Yeef

They have dual faced cards so they have a bigger rare pool so I hope they make it in.
We don't actually know yet that Rivals will have DFCss. Unlike Innistrad, where the DFC's were integral to the set design, here they mostly play towards the flavor of searching for lost treasure. In Rivals, the treasure will likely already have been found, so I could see them cutting them from the set there.

I'd love to see the enemy checks, because they haven't been printed outside of the original Innistrad block (except Isolated Chapel in the Modern Event deck), but I'm not expecting it.

Top Bottom