• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninokuni Spellbook in the Wild

Dali

I don't even own a DS and I considered getting this. The whole package is very nice and the book is pretty well-made. It was something like 57,000 Yen which seemed like a fair price. I decided against it though. Was that a mistake? This still hasn't been announce for the US?

Aokage said:
The average JRPG has orders of magnitude more text than that 200+ page book is likely to contain.

I count about 335 Japanese characters on the first spread, and 360 on the second.

Extrapolated across 200 pages, that's 34,750 characters...about seven days work for a pro game translator.

So, if anything is holding Ninokuni back, it wouldn't be the translation. Just sayin'...
Yeah I could see how it'd have more to do with the expense the high quality, color, book with a hardcover versus how much of a market they can expect for going through the trouble.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think you mean 5700 yen. 57,000 yen is roughly $600.

Cipherr

entrydenied said:
I believe the PS3 version also gets its own book. So that has to be localised as well.

Yeah but thats a console version. It makes slightly more sense to have this medium sized book nearby when your console gaming.

Portable though?

seady

Would be nice if Nintendo localize it. But seeing this is not a Nintendo-platform-only franchise like Professor Layton, the chance is pretty slim. Nintendo is not going to invest and promote the new IP so the next game will sell well on the…. PS3.

randomkid

mehdi_san said:
And you can actually get it for 3400 yen on Amazon with free shipping...

Are you joking? Wow, okay. I've never imported a game in my life. If I wanted to paypal someone 40 bucks to mail the game to me here in America, anybody know where I could go? Any GAF folk up for helping a brother out?

Poyunch

seady said:
Would be nice if Nintendo localize it. But seeing this is not a Nintendo-platform-only franchise like Professor Layton, the chance is pretty slim. Nintendo is not going to invest and promote the new IP so the next game will sell well on the…. PS3.
But the PS3 and DS already really competing. :(

mehdi_san

Jigsaw said:
after 1 week?total bomba then :|
Yeah I've been checking the price every day and it has been going down a little bit every day. I'm waiting for it to go under 3000 yen to get it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Cipherr said:
Yeah but thats a console version. It makes slightly more sense to have this medium sized book nearby when your console gaming.

Portable though?

Portable doesn't have to mean you're walking around with it. I have the book in my satchel when I go places, like a buddy's place.

It's not the most convenient thing in the world, but it's so damn neat I can't help but love it.

Man I would import this game if I knew Japanese. Level 5 I thought said they would consider bringing it over. Too bad Nintendo & Sony couldn't each publish it in the US or something. Or hell get Square Enix to publish it.

Everyone spam XSEED Games saying you want the game. :eek:

Aokage said:
The average JRPG has orders of magnitude more text than that 200+ page book is likely to contain.

I count about 335 Japanese characters on the first spread, and 360 on the second.

Extrapolated across 200 pages, that's 34,750 characters...about seven days work for a pro game translator.

So, if anything is holding Ninokuni back, it wouldn't be the translation. Just sayin'...

To be fair, that's about 7 days of JE translation, but they'll still need actually reformat and insert the text into the book itself. I doubt it's like a game where the text can easily be reinserted via simple scripts. The cost for this type of work is significantly higher, especially since Level-5 would almost certainly have to outsource this.

That's not to say I think the book is necessarily too huge a wall for any potential localization, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's the primary reason should Level-5 choose not to localize the title.

stupei

The only company I can honestly see getting this to happen is Atlus, and I'm sure that's unlikely.

But look what they did for the Demon's Souls CE! It would be so beautiful.

onken

Yeah I'd be amazed if either version makes it out of Japan, but hell Sega actually translated Yakuza 3/4 so stranger things have happened.

farnham

Banned
stupei said:
The only company I can honestly see getting this to happen is Atlus, and I'm sure that's unlikely.

But look what they did for the Demon's Souls CE! It would be so beautiful.
If anyone does it it's either nintendo or level 5 themselves. Level5 has their own localization devision now. And nintendo has done great with publishing level 5 Stuff commercially

StuBurns

Banned
The book has to be the biggest hindrance in terms of releasing outside of Japan. I think there's a chance we only get the PS3 version assuming they don't make the PS3 book integral to the game.

mehdi_san

cw_sasuke said:
Check the promotion link just under the price:
今なら、DS版『二ノ国 漆黒の魔導士(魔法指南書 マジックマスター 同梱)』が表示価格よりさらに1,000円値引き
Valid until December 31st
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/feature...._rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=98211269&pf_rd_i=B001GNBW8E

DMG-01

Hey guys, what's the best way for me to buy this game if I live in the US? From my understanding, Amazon.jp won't ship internationally, but Ninokuni is half price there compared to the retailers that do ship to the US (Play-Asia, etc.). Is there any way that I could somehow buy it from Amazon.jp? Or are there better alternatives that I might not know about?

PS: I wasn't sure if this was the best thread to ask this, but since it's the most recent Ninokuni thread, I figured that it was the best choice.

DMG-01

Bebpo said:
http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english

It's 3450yen and shipping is only about 500yen for SAL.
Hey man thanks a bunch for that link. I feel like such a moron though because I wanted to finish the stuff I had to do yesterday before I ordered the game and when I ordered it today, I found out that the site just went on a six day business holiday. That's what I get for not procrastinating and doing work first for once. :lol

I have one last question though, regarding the way orders are handled from that site. They emailed me an application ID# when I made the order. It's my understanding that they will send me an email later (whenever they reopen for business, I guess) with all the payment info? Then I suppose I have to punch in the application ID# then or something? The whole system seems pretty backwards and confusing to me.

randomkid

So I ended up ordering the game from Ami Ami and chose the cheapest shipping option. It arrived yesterday. I’ve never imported a game in my life and don’t understand Japanese at all. I spent $58 after shipping and yen conversion, the most my cheap ass has spent on a game since the N64 days. It was worth every penny.

Here are some shitty pics:

bskGF.jpg

IOhAn.jpg

This thread is about the book so I’ll just talk about that. Many people have already praised it to the heavens. My expectations for it were sky high.

This goddamn book exceeded my expectations.

Like many have said, it’s 352 pages, but what I didn’t know due to media black out on my end is that all but 30 of those pages have at least one unique piece of art (and often more!) in one of three distinct and beautiful art styles. There’s Ghibli art, beautifully detailed fairy tale illustration, and some kind of iconic tapestry/Wind Waker intro style art that I would find a legitimate reference for if I was actually knowledgable. Each of these styles is perfect and I can’t begin to describe to you the happy satisfaction you feel leafing through pages and pages of this stuff.

You know what else the game comes with? A 65 page full color manual that is also filled with art.

God bless you Hino and your crazy-ass convictions. Who cares if the game is no longer portable. This is the best gaming purchase I’ve made in ages, and I’ve only played an hour of the game itself. I love this book so much I would purchase it again in a heartbeat if Level 5 ever localizes it. Which will never happen because it's a miracle this thing even came out in Japan.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its it properly bound for a thick spine, or is it one of those where the pages are all bound as one section, and put in a thick-spined shell?

randomkid

The_Technomancer said:
Its it properly bound for a thick spine, or is it one of those where the pages are all bound as one section, and put in a thick-spined shell?

Hmm, I looked at it and can't really tell what you're talking about. Got any examples?

ShockingAlberto said:
Maybe we'll get the PS3 version at least.

That's what I'm hoping. Just watched a video of it last night for the first time, and it looks like my dream game. Just being a kid, going on adventures.

The Technomancer

randomkid said:
Hmm, I looked at it and can't really tell what you're talking about. Got any examples?
If its done properly, it should look like this:
book-binding-close.jpg

I ask because I've seen cheaply bound "journals" that sew all the pages as one stack. It makes the whole thing feel cheap.

randomkid

The_Technomancer said:
If its done properly, it should look like this:

I ask because I've seen cheaply bound "journals" that sew all the pages as one stack. It makes the whole thing feel cheap.

Hmm, stitching doesn't look as thick as that pic but I still can't really tell heh. I'd take a picture but this laptop camera is terrible.

There's a bunch of unboxing videos though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkLkH99BQPs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFMKn8rhM-8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKkTIJdrIz0&feature=related

The Technomancer

Is it known that the PS3 game will be different from the DS one? If so, I'm rather tempted to divert funds from necessities and pick up the DS game. That book sounds amazing.

Edit: wikipedia, as much as I hate relying on it as a source, seems to think so. Hmm....

Attack You said:
Is it known that the PS3 game will be different from the DS one? If so, I'm rather tempted to divert funds from necessities and pick up the DS game. That book sounds amazing.

Edit: wikipedia, as much as I hate relying on it as a source, seems to think so. Hmm....

Yes, it's been confirmed that the PS3 and DS games, although sharing the same basic story, are completely different with different combat systems.

randomkid

Attack You said:

The PS3 game is definitely different, it will have a completely different story (the new subtitle is Queen of the Holy White Ashes) and a completely different battle system that's action-oriented and not turn-based.

It comes with its own book too (there's a pic in this thread) but I'm not sure if the content will be different.

I think the PS3 version has the better chance of making it out here, which is very exciting. But I'm still rooting for an English DS version too.

I'm very unsure how the animated Ghibli cutscenes will work in the PS3 version, I assume they're different from the ones in the DS version since the stories are different, but does that mean Hino got Ghibli to animate even more, or just split them some how?

Top Bottom